E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 04:40 AM   #1
tommy@avinusa.com
AKA: M3Evolution

My Ride: 2003 M3 SMG
Arrow Official: ///AVIN Avant-2 Android 4 w/ Dual Core CPU 1.784Ghz Capacitive 128GB

Official: ///AVIN Avant-2 Android 4 w/ Dual Core CPU 1.784Ghz Capacitive Multi Touch Screen

Hi I wanted to share with you guys the new ///AVIN Avant-2 BMW E46 Full Android GPS Navigation System I have been working on. A little about me before I go into detail about the new system. I am from the San Francisco Bay Area and have been a registered member of E46Fanatics for more than 10 years. Some of you might know me better as M3Evolution the guy that makes and supports the custom Dynavin Android ROM. I am happy and proud to say that I am now a full supporting sponsor of E46Fanatics!

After working on the custom Dynavin Android ROM and speaking with and helping the many frustrated Dynavin Android owners from all over the world I sought out to develop a new system. I got a lot of great advices and suggestions from other helpful E46Fanatics members and Dynavin owners of what kind of features they would want the new hardware and software to have. My goal was not to only fix all the problems we had with our Dynavin systems but to go beyond that and introduce more advance features, better user experience, all while keeping it simple and intuitive to use. This last part was especially important since we will be using this in our cars driving at the legal speed limit of course.

The BMW Avant-2 series hardware and software was inspired by the many great members here at E46Fanatics. We listened to many owners of different systems about the problems they had, what annoyed them most, and what their ideal perfect system would be like. We sought out to develop a system that would try to meet those high expectations. Even the BMW Avant-2 Premium Amber UI color scheme was recommended by the E46Fanatics members here to compliment the BMW 3 Series dashboard and interior. The BMW Avant-2 series is designed to be fast, reliable, simple, and intuitive to use. The UI design is meant to be intuitive so you can keep your eyes and attention on the road. The AA-BE46 hardware was designed to keep true to the original factory look and feel of your BMW 3-Series. It's Torque built-in compatibility makes it easy for you to access your cars diagnostic directly from the 7" touchscreen. It is always ready to go whenever you are (video demo of startup time in post#22). It's a full Android system but does not require you to be a rocket scientist or an Android developer to take advantage of its advance features.

Now you can have easy access to your GMail, Facebook, Pandora, Spotify, Google Music, Waze, Google Maps Navigation, Youtube HD, Yelp, Foursquare, Soundhound, Shazam, and thousands more apps from Google Play store. You can even make and receive Voip phone calls without ever using any of your cellphone minutes.

Installation is simple with the included plug-n-play OEM harness connector. There is no need for any modification to the factory wires or harnesses.

We surveyed many current BMW owners and asked them what are the most important features that they wanted out of their stereo / navigation system and the overwhelming response was ease of use and more importantly reliability. We depend on our cars to get us from point A to point B quickly and efficiently as possible. When we start our cars we want our Navigation system to be ready to go when we are. The ///AVIN AA-BE46 is powered on and fully usable within a few seconds of starting your car. This is the fastest start time I have seen out of any Android in-car navigation system out there on the market today. So if you are in the market for an Android in-car Navigation system one of the first thing you should ask is how long do I have to sit and wait after starting the car before I can start inputting my destination address and then driving off. (video demo of the amazingly fast startup time of the ///AVIN Avant-2 AA-BE46 in post#22)

The HOME, BACK, MENU buttons on the panel of the ///AVIN Avant-2 AA-BE46 are very important.

There are some APPs (eg. Torque, SlingPlayer) that will force fullscreen and that means the top statusbar with the digital Home, Menu, Back buttons will disappear and the app takes over the entire screen. This can be a great thing because APPs like Torque or other video or games apps can take advantage of the entire screen. Navigation maps can also take advantage of the fullscreen to display map and directions. There are other systems on the market that do not have these important hard buttons. The owners of those systems will have no way to exit an app or go back to the Home screen if there were no physical HOME,BACK, MENU buttons. The only option for users of those other system is to turn off their car and restart the entire navigation system if they get stuck.

If you are in the market for an Android in-car navigation make sure it has physical HOME, BACK, MENU buttons or you will be stuck and unable to get out of fullscreen APPs like Torque

Being a long time E46Fanatics registered member and owner of other previous navigation system myself I understand the concern about quality, reliability, after sales service, and warranty.

To ensure that all our customers receive the highest quality products we personally visit the factories where they are made and do our own quality control tests. We cooperate and work closely with the engineers as well. We do not depend on third parties to do the inspection for us. Any products that do not pass our strict standards gets rejected. After each order that we receive we personally fully test each unit again before shipping out to customers. This ensure our customers gets the highest quality and most reliable products. All of our products are backed by a 1 year US warranty. If customers ever need to send a product in for service our service center is conveniently located in Northern California.

There is currently a discount towards a new ///AVIN Avant-2 BMW E46 Full Android GPS Navigation System for those that have generously donated for my custom M3Evolution Dynavin Android ROM before 03/20/2014. The discount is up to $100 OFF. Message us for more details.

I will try to update this post with more information soon. If there are any questions you can reply here or email me at tommy@avinusa.com .

You can now Chat with Us Live directly from our website
www.avinusa.com

Last edited by tommy@avinusa.com; 08-18-2014 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1404894700
tommy@avinusa.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:40 AM   #2
tommy@avinusa.com

///AVIN Avant-2 YouTube Demo

Avant-2 YouTube Demo

Skip to 2:10 seconds in the first video to see the multi touch capacitive screen in action.

https://avinusa.com/bmw-e46-avant2-f...on-system.html

For more great videos checkout Qtonic reviews of the Avant-2

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1033802

Last edited by tommy@avinusa.com; 08-18-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:41 AM   #3
tommy@avinusa.com

1 Free Torque Compatible Bluetooth OBD2 - BLACK with each AVIN Avant-2 order.

Offer valid while Tim's AVIN Avant-2 review post is still on the main page of E46Fanatics.com and while supplies last.
Please email me at tommy@avinusa.com immediately after you have placed your order and mention this offer to request the 1 Free OBD2 adapter.
The free offer will not be valid if we do not receive the email request immediately after the order is placed.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1048690

According to the Google Play App store there are over 1,000,000 reason to choose the AVIN Avant-2 over the Dynavin N6.

Two very popular apps amongst BMW enthusiast are the Torque and BMWhat app.
Both apps have been tested and confirmed to work great with the AVIN Avant-2 and our BMW E46.

Description
- Advanced car diagnostic App for BMW cars
- The only specific diagnostic tool for BMW on Android!
- With this app you can read out fault codes like the experts.
- While OBD Readers are limited to a small number of electronic control units (ECUs) and even a smaller number of fault codes, this app reads out practically all compatible ECUs.
- Normally this is only possible with very expensive expert equipment.
- Now you can check your car yourself in-depth!
- It provides modell specific fault code explanations.
- ...and you can even clear the stored manufacturer DTC fault codes - not just OBD!
Main features are:
- Perform selected in-depth fault analysis
- Provide model specific text explanation of fault code
- Send the analysis protocol per email
- Clear DTC fault codes
- Codings with many possibilities
- Engine parameter monitoring for many engines

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...iNi.bmwhatLite

Torque OBD2

Description
See what your car is doing in realtime, get OBD fault codes, car performance, sensor data and more!
Torque is a vehicle / car performance / diagnostics tool and scanner that uses an OBD II Bluetooth adapter to connect to your OBD2 engine management / ECU
Layout your own dashboard with the widgets / gauges you want!
It can use the GPS to provide tracker logs with OBD engine logging so you can see what you were doing at any point in time
It can also show and reset a DTC / CEL / fault code like a scantool. Helps you fix your car and helps keep repair costs down!
Torque also features:
* Dyno / Dynomometer and Horsepower/HP & Torque
* Can read Transmission Temperatures (vehicle dependant)
* 0-60 speed timings - more accurate than just using plain old GPS - see how fast your car is (or truck )
* CO2 emissions readout
* Customisable dashboard & profiles
* Video your journey using the Track Recorder plugin with onscreen OBDII data overlay - a black box for your car/truck!
* Automatically send GPS tagged tweets directly to twitter (for example if you are going on a road trip)
* Massive fault code database for lookup of fault codes from different manufacturers
* Theme support (choose from different themes to change the look of your dashboard)
* Send logging information to web or email CSV/KML for analysis via excel / openoffice reader
* Heads up display / HUD mode for night time driving
* Compass (GPS Based) that won't suffer magnetic interference
* GPS Speedometer/Tracking and realtime web upload capability - see what you were doing and your engine, at a point in time
* Turbo boost feature for vehicles that support MAP and MAF sensors (VW & Golf / Audi / Seat etc supported)
* Alarms and warnings (for example if your coolant temperature goes over 120C whilst driving) with voice/speech overlay
* Car dock support
* Graph data
* MPG
* Able to share screenshots to Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Email, etc

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...g.prowl.torque

The current AVIN Avant-2 unit supports connection with the Valentine One Radar detector and displays the radar information on the AVIN touchscreen. Now you can install the Valentine One radar in places where potential thieves can not see it and still have access to the radar indicators and bogey count. You would need the V1Connection Bluetooth module and then pair it with the AVIN unit. We tested it with the YaV1 app available for download from the Google Play store and it works great.

http://www.valentine1.com/v1info/v1connection/android/

If anyone has questions about this feature or anything about the AVIN Avant-2 unit feel free to chat with us LIVE directly from our site. www.AVINUSA.com

Description of the YaV1 free app:

YaV1 (Yet Another V1 application) enhances the capabilities of your Valentine One Radar Locator when used in conjunction with the V1Connection Bluetooth adapter, and allows you to tailor its performance to fit your driving style.
Improve your Situational Awareness with:
* 3 View types - a classic V1 style, a detailed frequency Alerts view, and a Filtered view that allows you to set your own criteria
* Onscreen speed and bearing display
* SAVVY emulation to automatically silence any alerts below a specified speed limit
* GPS-based lockouts to permanently ignore known falses
* Drift adjustable dynamically while running
* Define your own "In The Box" frequency ranges for high-priority alerts, display filters, or automute parameters
* Voice alerts enabled per defined box
* Set your own sounds for audio alerts on your phone
* Background mode can display an overlay view with alert on top of other foreground applications
* Log your alerts and export them into Google Maps for later review or to match them up with footage from a dashcam
Fine-tune your Valentine One:
* Create and manage Profiles of V1 settings that can be pushed to the V1 with the tap of a button
* Enable European mode and configure Custom Sweeps to maximize your reactivity to threats specific to your region

Here is a link to the YaV1 Android app if you guys want to check out what it can do.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....franckyl.yav1

Car Camera DVR GPS Black Box Driving Recorder

https://avinusa.com/dvr-camera-720.html

The Avant-2 now supports Car Camera DVR GPS Black Box Driving Recorder. This car camera records your driving in 720P high definition and saves the video to your sdcard. You can record 100's of hours of driving as it is only limited by the size of your sdcard. The camera can be mounted to your front windshield and can be tilted for the perfect recording angle. The camera also records and display the current time and GPS coordinates on the played back video. This is perfect for recording an accident scene as it will record the date and time as well as the exact gps location of where it happened. The camera is connected by USB and camera view displayed on the Avant-2 LCD touchscreen.

raichean did a Nice DIY install guide for the DVR GPS Black Box Driving Recorder
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1034241
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...3&d=1404878795

Last edited by tommy@avinusa.com; 08-18-2014 at 03:28 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:06 AM   #4
tommy@avinusa.com

Advance Sound Settings:

The AVIN Avant-2 uses a high performance signal audio processor with fully integrared audio filters specifically designed for car radio applications. The AVIN Avant-2 allows you to fully customize your sound settings. Soft-step speaker and subwoofer control. You can choose from the many different Preset or fine tune it exactly how you like. You can adjust the Bass, Middle, Treble, Loudness, Sound Field, Damping Factor, Wet Signal, Dry Signal, Effect Strength, Max Gain, Max Ouput, Limit Threshold

Last edited by tommy@avinusa.com; 08-18-2014 at 03:30 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:08 AM   #5
roddenshaw

My Ride: BMW 330d M Sport
Of all the new features I find the capacitive touch screen most exciting; the resistive items on other units are horrible. What's readability in sunlight like on these?
roddenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:24 AM   #6
tommy@avinusa.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddenshaw View Post
Of all the new features I find the capacitive touch screen most exciting; the resistive items on other units are horrible. What's readability in sunlight like on these?
From recent road testing I would say its almost as good as the factory navigation readability.

We are also using the latest capacitive screen that are made to operate in the automobile so it can operate well in both cold and hot environments. Other units on the market might be using older type of screen that has issues starting up if its really cold out and snowing or if its really out like in the middle of summer.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:35 AM   #7
iWeldonJ

My Ride: 325Ci
Thanks for posting the preview video. Looks much snappier and the UI has a really nice flow to it. Think I'll wait for this product to be released.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-23-2014, 08:06 AM   #8
al-djazair

My Ride: E46 E34 E30
Hi Tommy,

a dream comes true ....
2 x '86 E30 323i sold for parts
al-djazair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #9
DiceyOne
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 1999 328i
Send a message via AIM to DiceyOne
Is the 1GB RAM expandable? to 2GB? 4GB? with SD card? I see the slot in the picture but on the spec sheet it is not entirely clear to me. Thanks.
DiceyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #10
tommy@avinusa.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiceyOne View Post
Is the 1GB RAM expandable? to 2GB? 4GB? with SD card? I see the slot in the picture but on the spec sheet it is not entirely clear to me. Thanks.
It is not really recommend to use a SWAP partition larger then the physical RAM size but yes the use of a sdcard with SWAP will be possible.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #11
DiceyOne
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 1999 328i
Send a message via AIM to DiceyOne
Is there only a single USB input? Is it possible to add USB ports? I assume it is not a powered USB, data only? Thanks.
DiceyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #12
PumpinIron

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
So, I have a few questions since I'm very interested in one of these. First off, I don't mind that they are likely manufactured in China. I do however want to make sure that the software interface is at least designed in the USA. I've used Chinese software interfaces before and while some of them aren't that bad their translations aren't that good and it makes things confusing to use.

I just want to make sure the software interface this is using is made with English in mind by someone who speaks English as a first language.

Second of all, I assume this is going to be something that will be easy to upgrade in regards to software / firmware? Do you intend on supporting updates well into the future? I assume an update will be easy to do via a WiFi connection or is there another way to update it?

Let me know, very, VERY interested.

Last edited by PumpinIron; 03-23-2014 at 02:22 PM.
PumpinIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #13
E46er75

My Ride: 323i Vert, 330xi
Definitely concerning that I bought the Avin gingerbread unit that was advertised in 11/03 and now Avin already has a new model within 4 months of the original post.

A complete unit overhaul and my unit still doesn't function as advertised.

Not a happy camper right now...

Last edited by E46er75; 03-23-2014 at 07:03 PM.
E46er75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:50 PM   #14
tommy@avinusa.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpinIron View Post
So, I have a few questions since I'm very interested in one of these. First off, I don't mind that they are likely manufactured in China. I do however want to make sure that the software interface is at least designed in the USA. I've used Chinese software interfaces before and while some of them aren't that bad their translations aren't that good and it makes things confusing to use.

I just want to make sure the software interface this is using is made with English in mind by someone who speaks English as a first language.

Second of all, I assume this is going to be something that will be easy to upgrade in regards to software / firmware? Do you intend on supporting updates well into the future? I assume an update will be easy to do via a WiFi connection or is there another way to update it?

Let me know, very, VERY interested.
Yes the software is really easy to update. It does not require any specially formatted sdcard any regular sdcard formatted FAT or FAT32 will work. When software updates are available you can copy the files to the sdcard and select software update in the system menu.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:33 AM   #15
JS330

My Ride: '01 330Ci 3 Pedals
Will this be compliant with apple carplay? or mirrorlink for androids?
JS330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:14 AM   #16
d33p

My Ride: zcp
Will navigation work without an internet connection?

I guess no mirroring for iPhones?
d33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:15 AM   #17
iWeldonJ

My Ride: 325Ci
I read that it will work without internet connection.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-24-2014, 02:26 AM   #18
tommy@avinusa.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS330 View Post
Will this be compliant with apple carplay? or mirrorlink for androids?
No Carplay. It does support Apple Airplay / DLNA function via third party app available from the Google Play store.
It has a feature called CarLink where you can operate the unit from your Android phone or Tablet. You can also play media such as music, videos, or photos that are stored on your phone directly on the unit through the CarLink app. There is a YouTube demo video of the CarLink feature in action above.

Last edited by tommy@avinusa.com; 03-24-2014 at 02:30 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:35 AM   #19
tommy@avinusa.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33p View Post
Will navigation work without an internet connection?

I guess no mirroring for iPhones?
Yes navigation will work without internet connection. There are many navigation app from the Google Play store that stores all the map data onto the microsd card. So after installing your favorite navigation app and map data you will not need internet connection to use it. Most apps will have text to speech and can read out street names and give direction all without a internet connection.

It does support Apple Airplay / DLNA via third party app available from the Google Play store.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #20
redhawk375

My Ride: 2002 330i
Hi Tommy, if the car has the OEM GPS will you be able to use the existing GPS and it's map disk or do you have to use an app? Making the OEM system redundant?
redhawk375 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avant, avant2, avin, avinusa, m3evolution