E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #21
tommy@avinusa.com
AKA: M3Evolution

My Ride: 2003 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk375 View Post
Hi Tommy, if the car has the OEM GPS will you be able to use the existing GPS and it's map disk or do you have to use an app? Making the OEM system redundant?
The OEM navigation system would be completely replaced by the new Avant-2 system. You would need to also order the 6M Extension Cable kit for your install.
Some of our creative customers were able to place our GPS antenna inside the factory Shark Fin GPS location. There are many different GPS navigation app available from the Google Play store that you can install in the unit. Most of them offer offline map data so you do not need any internet connection on the road for GPS to work.

www.avinusa.com

email: tommy@avinusa.com

///M3Evolution Dynavin Android Rom
AKA: m3evolution

http://www.youtube.com/user/AVINUSA

$50 OFF BMW E46 Avant-2 Coupon Code: e46fanatics
tommy@avinusa.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #22
d33p

My Ride: zcp
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy@avinusa.com View Post
Yes navigation will work without internet connection. There are many navigation app from the Google Play store that stores all the map data onto the microsd card. So after installing your favorite navigation app and map data you will not need internet connection to use it. Most apps will have text to speech and can read out street names and give direction all without a internet connection.

It does support Apple Airplay / DLNA via third party app available from the Google Play store.

Will google maps work offline? I only have experience with the IOS versions of map apps.

If this could mirror my iphone then I can use my goggle/apple maps without issues.
d33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:38 PM   #23
DiceyOne
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 1999 328i
Send a message via AIM to DiceyOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiceyOne View Post
Is there only a single USB input? Is it possible to add USB ports? I assume it is not a powered USB, data only? Thanks.
In addition to my earlier unanswered question;

When it lists a Dimmable Backlight, does that mean through GUI and that the screen only is what dims? Or do the amber lit buttons and/or the screen backlight dim with the dimmer located on the headlight control switch?

Thanks. I will probably have many more before I purchase in a month or two.

Last edited by DiceyOne; 03-25-2014 at 03:05 PM.
DiceyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:38 PM   #24
iWeldonJ

My Ride: 325Ci
Do you have an exact date yet of when product will be released? And is Jeff also going to carry this product?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #25
JS330

My Ride: '01 330Ci 3 Pedals
I meant, can you use the input touch screen of the unit like mirror link? so that if I touch the headunit on the touch screen, the input of the phone is registered? like a mirrored phone on the unit with an input
JS330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #26
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by iWeldonJ View Post
Do you have an exact date yet of when product will be released? And is Jeff also going to carry this product?

Yes, ill have them: http://www.jandtdistributing.com/col...ducts/avin-e46

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 03-25-2014 at 07:55 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:05 AM   #27
tommy@avinusa.com

Check out a great review of the ///AVIN Avant-1by M_South_Afrikanna!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1030193

www.avinusa.com

Old 04-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #28
PumpinIron

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Damn... I want one of these so bad. If the price wasn't so high I would be all over it.
PumpinIron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #29
iWeldonJ

Try the $599 model. It's not at the same level, but for the price it is 100% android and start up time is much faster than the D99+

Old 04-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #30
PumpinIron

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Eh, the $599 one is just a waste of money entirely. Not only that but it says the following...

The BMW S150 series is not currently compatible with cars equipped with factory navigation.

That means it won't work with my car since I have factory nav.
PumpinIron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #31
iWeldonJ

Yeah, the factory navigation cars are always more trouble. That requires additional purchases for most aftermarket units.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #32
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Try the $599 model. It's not at the same level, but for the price it is 100% android and start up time is much faster than the D99+
Dynavin no longer makes android units and has not for a while now....so making comparisons is kind of apples and oranges....and irrelevant at this point. The "regular" "D99+" starts up in a second, the android ones no longer exist. In my opinion the Avin and Dynavin are not really directly comparable as they serve two completely different markets and have two fairly different purposes. Comparing the S150 and the Avant 2 makes more sense as they are similar in concept and intended use but quite different in execution and price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpinIron View Post
Eh, the $599 one is just a waste of money entirely. Not only that but it says the following...

The BMW S150 series is not currently compatible with cars equipped with factory navigation.

That means it won't work with my car since I have factory nav.
Quote:
Yeah, the factory navigation cars are always more trouble. That requires additional purchases for most aftermarket units.
To clarify for future readers of this thread: Cars with OEM navigation have all their radio wiring in the trunk, the "head unit" in the dash is essentially just a monitor. So whenever you put ANY aftermarket head unit in a nav equipped car you need to run wiring to the trunk. Avin and dynavin offer their own dedicated extension harnesses for this purpose, for other units its hit and miss...you are on your own.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 04-02-2014 at 06:43 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #33
iWeldonJ

@PumpinIron,

Check out this open box item Jeff has, it appears to be Wince and it's much cheaper than full retail. http://www.jandtdistributing.com/col...6-bmw-3-series
Old 04-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #34
raichean

My Ride: 2004 e46 M3 cabrio
I just placed my order for the new Avant-2 and will be building out a detailed DIY install guide, like the convertible top repair guide I created a few months ago! Seriously excited to get this installed into my M3!
raichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #35
d33p

My Ride: zcp
raichean- If you have an iPhone can you tell me if it will mirror your Google or Apple maps via Airplay/DLNA. I dont have a tether plan so Id be out of luck with that.
d33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #36
raichean

My Ride: 2004 e46 M3 cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by d33p View Post
raichean- If you have an iPhone can you tell me if it will mirror your Google or Apple maps via Airplay/DLNA. I dont have a tether plan so Id be out of luck with that.

So no iPhone.. I run a Nokia 1020 Winphone 8.1, and my partner has an HTC One, so she could try some of that functionality as well. I will be tethering the deck to my phone using my wifi hotspot functionality.
raichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #37
Walter_

My Ride: 2004 325 SMG coupé
Jeff, Tommy...
I was thinking, I did have a BMW E30 325i and a Clarion vrx928rvd with a hide away unit and the navigation in the trunk . Why no avant with a hide away unit in the trunk where the cd/dvd player navigation is installed. The 'brain' will have more space for the amplifier, fast soc android system, rds radio, DAB, DVBT, tmc navigation an built in wifi and bluethoot 4.0, even a couple usb ports for optional devices, and for the American friends Sirius/XM radio and a lot of space behind the screen for the connections without fuss . And it has an other advantage, if a burglar want to steal your car radio and he notices that he have only a screen with some buttons he dont want it any more. I know that such unit cost a lot more money but there is certainly a market for it. Can you talk about this with the engineers who's building the avant for you? Just want to know what they will ask for such system. Let us know!
Walter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:30 PM   #38
spyfish

My Ride: 2004 M3 SMG
Send a message via Yahoo to spyfish Send a message via Skype™ to spyfish
I ordered the V2 unit 3 weeks ago. I am starting to excited now. I ordered the OBD2 adapter too. I just need to order the HVAC relocation kit now. I should also note that Tommy sent me an email update about the potential ship date without me asking. I consider this excellent service. He also notified me about the product manual availability including an online version in PDF format which looks really professional. So far I am happy and I don't even have the unit!
spyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:36 PM   #39
tommy@avinusa.com

In Stock and Shipping NOW!

All pre-orders have been shipped out and tracking information will be emailed out shortly. Only a few units left of this first shipment so order now! After this first shipment is sold out our next shipment will be at the end of the month.

www.avinusa.com

Old 04-13-2014, 01:35 AM   #40
mark2727

My Ride: 2001 BMW M3 Vert
Any plan to make an e39 version?
mark2727 is offline   Reply With Quote