E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #61
WanderLustMan

My Ride: 05 M3 Mystic Blue
Hey Jeff, it's been a hot minute since I was on these boards! Thanks for the info, got the same from Tommy on the website. Going to do a bit more digging on this to confirm the good reviews I've seen so far. The Dynavin got me really excited and then disappointed ever since I installed it.
WanderLustMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #62
BlueMonk

My Ride: E46 318i
i will take these days some pics for you guys

the unit works really smooth. The display is bright enough. im really happy for now.

Last edited by BlueMonk; 04-18-2014 at 11:50 AM.
BlueMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #63
Rupes330

My Ride: 2001 330i
I installed the Avant-2 a couple of days ago. Had two versions of the Dynavin in my 330i (v4 and v5) and similarly was excited, then disappointed. The Avin unit is so much better and a big improvement over the factory nav/Bluetooth phone/Intravee iPod adapter I replaced in my M3. There were just a couple of minor issues with the install and also I am new to the Android experience, however, Tommy has been more than helpful in sorting these out for me. He does not appear to sleep, as considering the time difference with me being in Australia, I received answers almost straight away at all times! I'm really happy with it and now spend my time sitting in the car in the driveway playing with it (the Avin of course).
Rupes330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #64
Qtonic

My Ride: M3
I got the Avant-2 a few days ago, and overall I'm pretty excited about it! I made some videos about my experiences so far and thought I'd include a link to my post in this thread as well.

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...802&highlight=

Check it out and let me know if I can answer any questions.

Qtonic

Last edited by Qtonic; 04-20-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Qtonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #65
BlueMonk

On Google Play Music at my Motorola Razr HD is an option to save the music on the external SD card. But at the Avin this option is not given. How i can save the music to the external SD card (Media), why is this point not given?

Thx.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:45 PM   #66
Qtonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMonk View Post
On Google Play Music at my Motorola Razr HD is an option to save the music on the external SD card. But at the Avin this option is not given. How i can save the music to the external SD card (Media), why is this point not given?

Thx.
Do you have a card in the slot labeled 'navi'? From my experience that is required for a lot of apps to download information. Some things wouldn't even install without it there.

My understanding is that the media slot behaves more like a usb thumb drive and just holds your files to be played by the built in media player or some other player. I don't think other apps typically utilize it for their own storage, which I think is what Google Play music would be doing.

I agree that more information would have been nice. Maybe I missed it but I had to figure that on my own with Spotify.

Last edited by Qtonic; 04-20-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:51 PM   #67
BlueMonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtonic View Post
Do you have a card in the slot labeled 'navi'? From my experience that is required for a lot of apps to download information. Some things wouldn't even install without it there.

My understanding is that the media slot behaves more like a usb thumb drive and just holds your files to be played by the built in media player or some other player. I don't think other apps typically utilize it for their own storage, which I think is what Google Play music would be doing.

I agree that more information would have been nice. Maybe I missed it but I had to figure that on my own with Spotify.
yes, i have an sd card in the navi slot. I testet both slots and an USB Stick. But i did not get the option for the location to save the music. I think its an "google" problem...

thx

Last edited by BlueMonk; 04-20-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #68
alirz

My Ride: E46 M3 Coupe.2003
Could someone please post a video of the avant 2 unit connected to an ipod/iphone via USB cable and show the interface?

questions:

1- Is usb tehtering working with Iphone 5/5S ?
2- When iphone is connected via usb, how does the interface look like to browse music? do you get to browse by the same categories ie. Artist, album, song

3- Is there a music search functionality when connected to ipod/iphone via usb. ie. can you either scroll to artists/album/songs by alphabets like on the iphone itself? Or can you perhaps search for a song

Thanks. I would really appreciate any info on the above points. Those my key points that would me purchase this unit.
alirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #69
raichean

My Ride: 2004 e46 M3 cabrio
Ok guys! My DIY install guide is done and in draft form out for review. For the folks that already have the unit installed, you wont need it but others will. As soon as it has passed review, I will get it posted up.

Oh and side note? A coworker with his brand new e92 M3 checked out the Avent-2 in the parking lot (as he parked his M3 next to mine) and is WILDLY jealous of how much better the Avent is over his OEM Nav and gear in the e92!

*grin* WTG Tommy!

Last edited by raichean; 04-22-2014 at 02:09 PM.
raichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #70
raichean

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyfish View Post
I haven't researched it, but I have been thinking about a USB modem. Does anyone know if a Verizon 4GB will work? I am not sure how common place the drivers for these modems have become.
Good question and good to know? I am ATT, and got the 3G modem from Tommy and Avin, and have it installed and running.

4G seems to be problematic, and while ATT has a 4G USB modem, it doesn't appear to be droid compatible. Been reading the forums and trolling for info, but folks don't appear be able to make it work.

I have the Avent-2 attached to wireless when possible, running 3G on the road, but also use my 4G phone as a hotspot tether with works very well too.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #71
WanderLustMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
Ok guys! My DIY install guide is done and in draft form out for review. For the folks that already have the unit installed, you wont need it but others will. As soon as it has passed review, I will get it posted up.

Oh and side note? A coworker with his brand new e92 M3 checked out the Avent-2 in the parking lot (as he parked his M3 next to mine) and is WILDLY jealous of how much better the Avent is over his OEM Nav and gear in the e92!

*grin* WTG Tommy!
link?
Old 04-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #72
raichean

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderLustMan View Post
link?
I want to get it reviewed again, and also by Tommy before I post.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #73
WanderLustMan

gotcha, no worries.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #74
BlueMonk

i need root access

then i can create an folder, that saves my google music to the extrnal sd-card
Old 04-22-2014, 04:06 PM   #75
alirz

Music accessed from a SD card or an attached USB flash drive. How is it displayed on the unit.

Does it show folder structure?
in my case, my music is in folders based on Artist name > Album folder > actual mp3s
Would it display in the same manner in the music player?

Or will it read and display based on ID tags?
Old 04-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #76
Qtonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alirz View Post
Music accessed from a SD card or an attached USB flash drive. How is it displayed on the unit.

Does it show folder structure?
in my case, my music is in folders based on Artist name > Album folder > actual mp3s
Would it display in the same manner in the music player?

Or will it read and display based on ID tags?
I haven't used usb too much, but if you check out my first video in the other thread, it shows the usb interface. You are able to see the folder structure and navigate that way.

That was the only time I've tried it, but I'm happy to experiment for you if you need any more details.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:40 PM   #77
raichean

The install guide is up and now posted, after review by Tommy. I created a new post for it so it wouldn't get buried in other threads.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...2#post16117822
Old 04-22-2014, 09:10 PM   #78
alirz

Ok so I saw a video of the iPod interface of the avant 1 unit. It seems to have the functionality I want.. If the interface is the same on avant 2 i.e three buttons to browse by artist , album or track then I'm sold!!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #79
s4k1s

My Ride: 316ti Compact
Hello everybody!
I' ve been lurking for a 2 din system for my car since Dynavin D90 days.
The last couple of weeks I' ve been reading this forum and I did an extensive search for all available models here and on ebay and I have to say that each one is unique and each brand does offer something that another brand doesn't.
For example, Navall offers Screen Mirroring.
Avant-2 offers 1gb ram, 4.1.1 and OBD compatibility.
Erisin offers multiple LED colours (which I'd really like as an option).
Eonon offers clean and neat UI (for my taste).

Isn't there gonna be a unit that offers all of the above?
Two things are going on here.
Either the manufacturers and their resellers have a "pact", so they can all sell, or they are just too stupid and lame to consider all the possible needs and options.
I'm going with the first possibility.
Tommy and Jeff do not care about multiple LED colours and they also keep the device locked.
Sean does not care about the ugliest thing that I have seen on all of these brands, the red SRC and telephone buttons.
All of the above are quite simple to alter or to embed on a unit.
They don't care cos' they all sell and they are all happy.
And we, the customers, are left disappointed for things that we'd like to see and waiting for updates for basic things that do not work properly.

And since I am in Avant-2 thread, at this price it should have been an ALL-IN-ONE, absolute and flawless unit which offered all of the above and even more.
For instance, 90% of the competitors have built-in Analog TV Tuner with half the price.
What does the device offer to justify the much higher price?
NADA. And as I am reading on forums, Navall has better build quality.
In my opinion 899 is a robbery and Tommy and Jeff's profit is at least 300 dollars per unit.
Just compare with the newly listed products on ebay.
Search 'Pure Android 4.2 e46'.

Until the close to perfect unit comes out, with a logical price, I refuse to be a laboratory rat.
One might argue: ''Who cares?''. Well, be it.
s4k1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:16 PM   #80
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
righhhhhhttt.......yeah thats it, its a secret monopoly OR we are "stupid and lame". And apparently getting rich as well!

Or perhaps developing a relatively tiny niche product like this is VERY technically challenging, VERY time consuming, and VERY expensive.

More to your point, everyone has a different set of priorities...your seems to want multi color button lighting....all the BMW units I sell have orange LEDs, they are not "locked" to that color, its the color of the LEDs. Matching the oem lighting colors is what most people want, so thats the choice that was made.

More to my point, to make something that is all things to all people and does everything perfect is IMPOSSIBLE. Ask apple.....they have one of the the biggest, if not the biggest R&D budget in the world, and people still bitch non-stop about their products. If you think its so easy....go empty your bank account and do it yourself! Compete, do it better, its a free market!

The stuff Tommy, Sean and I are doing is being done by car enthusiasts, we are not some entrepreneurial geniuses with multi-million dollar investors, we are just a few guys who liked playing with E46s and were trying to help out fellow forum members and found a business opportunity while we were at it. Find tommy's old posts, or even better my old posts about comparing control arm bushings, cooling system failures, vanos rebuilds....we were here as BMW enthusiasts long before we did these ICE businesses...

Its frustrating to see people post nonsense like this, I should ignore it but sometimes thats hard to do....I have devoted a lot to this forum and I take this kind of thing personally.

Nobody is making you buy anything, if you dont like it, dont buy it.

Or maybe Im getting trolled....

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 04-22-2014 at 11:28 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avant, avant2, avin, avinusa, m3evolution