E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 11:24 PM   #81
raichean

My Ride: 2004 e46 M3 cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4k1s View Post
Hello everybody!
I' ve been lurking for a 2 din system for my car since Dynavin D90 days.
The last couple of weeks I' ve been reading this forum and I did an extensive search for all available models here and on ebay and I have to say that each one is unique and each brand does offer something that another brand doesn't.
For example, Navall offers Screen Mirroring.
Avant-2 offers 1gb ram, 4.1.1 and OBD compatibility.
Erisin offers multiple LED colours (which I'd really like as an option).
Eonon offers clean and neat UI (for my taste).

Isn't there gonna be a unit that offers all of the above?
Two things are going on here.
Either the manufacturers and their resellers have a "pact", so they can all sell, or they are just too stupid and lame to consider all the possible needs and options.
I'm going with the first possibility.
Tommy and Jeff do not care about multiple LED colours and they also keep the device locked.
Sean does not care about the ugliest thing that I have seen on all of these brands, the red SRC and telephone buttons.
All of the above are quite simple to alter or to embed on a unit.
They don't care cos' they all sell and they are all happy.
And we, the customers, are left disappointed for things that we'd like to see and waiting for updates for basic things that do not work properly.

And since I am in Avant-2 thread, at this price it should have been an ALL-IN-ONE, absolute and flawless unit which offered all of the above and even more.
For instance, 90% of the competitors have built-in Analog TV Tuner with half the price.
What does the device offer to justify the much higher price?
NADA. And as I am reading on forums, Navall has better build quality.
In my opinion 899 is a robbery and Tommy and Jeff's profit is at least 300 dollars per unit.
Just compare with the newly listed products on ebay.
Search 'Pure Android 4.2 e46'.

Until the close to perfect unit comes out, with a logical price, I refuse to be a laboratory rat.
One might argue: ''Who cares?''. Well, be it.
This is one of the most foolish things I have seen in a long long time, and considering it is the internet, that is saying something. I wont even begin to justify what you said as it would clearly be pointless.

If you don't like it, don't buy it, simple enough?
raichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:29 PM   #82
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
This is one of the most foolish things I have seen in a long long time, and considering it is the internet, that is saying something.

Glad to see Im not the only one who felt this way! I usually try to bite my tongue but this one was on another level.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 04-22-2014 at 11:31 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:50 PM   #83
Qtonic

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4k1s View Post
Hello everybody!
I' ve been lurking for a 2 din system for my car since Dynavin D90 days.
The last couple of weeks I' ve been reading this forum and I did an extensive search for all available models here and on ebay and I have to say that each one is unique and each brand does offer something that another brand doesn't.
For example, Navall offers Screen Mirroring.
Avant-2 offers 1gb ram, 4.1.1 and OBD compatibility.
Erisin offers multiple LED colours (which I'd really like as an option).
Eonon offers clean and neat UI (for my taste).

Isn't there gonna be a unit that offers all of the above?
Two things are going on here.
Either the manufacturers and their resellers have a "pact", so they can all sell, or they are just too stupid and lame to consider all the possible needs and options.
I'm going with the first possibility.
Tommy and Jeff do not care about multiple LED colours and they also keep the device locked.
Sean does not care about the ugliest thing that I have seen on all of these brands, the red SRC and telephone buttons.
All of the above are quite simple to alter or to embed on a unit.
They don't care cos' they all sell and they are all happy.
And we, the customers, are left disappointed for things that we'd like to see and waiting for updates for basic things that do not work properly.

And since I am in Avant-2 thread, at this price it should have been an ALL-IN-ONE, absolute and flawless unit which offered all of the above and even more.
For instance, 90% of the competitors have built-in Analog TV Tuner with half the price.
What does the device offer to justify the much higher price?
NADA. And as I am reading on forums, Navall has better build quality.
In my opinion 899 is a robbery and Tommy and Jeff's profit is at least 300 dollars per unit.
Just compare with the newly listed products on ebay.
Search 'Pure Android 4.2 e46'.

Until the close to perfect unit comes out, with a logical price, I refuse to be a laboratory rat.
One might argue: ''Who cares?''. Well, be it.

LOL

Why on earth would you want different color led's? They match the gorgeous and classic bmw interior! Are you twelve? I frankly wouldn't trust a company that included multiple led colors. It's illogical and shows a lack of sophistication in design.

Screen mirroring... Really that big or deal for you? The Avant can actually mirror it's display to android phones and can use them as a remote. Or it has a more traditional remote function on the phone if you just want to change volume, track, eject or whatever. But is that seriously a big deal to you, or do you just want it there as an added bell and/or whistle?

I am a recent happy customer and I'm not AT ALL disappointed. The Avant-2 is the most expensive out there because it is by far the best. I'm confident about that. And for the record it is as close to an all-in-one perfect unit as you're going to get today. So I can't can't have an antenna and watch TV... again, gross. Bloated features suck, and rarely do they add anything except for people who shop based on bullet points on paper.

Out of curiosity I did do that ebay search you mentioned. That thing looks like crap. The buttons are all wrong (an effing LOUD button?!, non oem look buttons and knobs, no home or menu button but a disc and band button -- are you kidding me? And I'm getting daily support and further development from Avin, which I doubt you could count on from that ebay vendor who advertises their product with bikini clad girls and broken English, and who didn't develop a premium product to begin with.

Have you seen how nice the interface is on the various inputs the Avant-2 has? That didn't happen by accident. People worked really hard designing a clean product that does what it's supposed to well. And it's going to be getting better all the time.

Me thinks you should go buy a civic and put some hideous neon lights on it so you can match your fancy LED's.
Qtonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #84
NoGood4u

My Ride: e46
So i got my unit, thumbs up! 1000 times better than the dynavin **** i had.

Got one (mabye) stupid question. The usb tethering, how does it work? Do i need to download an app to the unit? Have tryed to activate the option on my phone when connected but no internet.
NoGood4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #85
alirz

My Ride: E46 M3 Coupe.2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGood4u View Post
So i got my unit, thumbs up! 1000 times better than the dynavin **** i had.

Got one (mabye) stupid question. The usb tethering, how does it work? Do i need to download an app to the unit? Have tryed to activate the option on my phone when connected but no internet.
As per tommy, USB tethering is not working at the moment. Its supposed to be resolved in a future software update.

Do you have an Android or Apple phone?
alirz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #86
NoGood4u

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by alirz View Post
As per tommy, USB tethering is not working at the moment. Its supposed to be resolved in a future software update.

Do you have an Android or Apple phone?
Ok, thanks for the answer. I couldnt find info anywere about that.

I use an android phone.
NoGood4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:03 PM   #87
alirz

Any difference if i purchase this from Avin's site or from J&T?

EDIT: Got my answer

Last edited by alirz; 04-23-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:40 AM   #88
RelaxIN

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Quick Question.... I installed the unit yesterday, everything is good to go so far with one exception... At the time of my test (Outside of the car) I did not have an ipod available to me... however, the car is all back together and I went to the office to get the ipod and its not working...? Its an Ipod classic (80GB)... I tried connecting it directly to the ipod connector... then I tried the USB plug attached on the same cable and nothing... I then went and tried a USB stick on the USB connect and that too did not work... HOWEVER, the USB connection that is in the console DOES WORK as it should...Thoughts...?
RelaxIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:04 AM   #89
tommy@avinusa.com
AKA: M3Evolution

My Ride: 2003 M3 SMG
Relaxin: It sounds like the iPod cable is loose and not fully plugged into the unit. Please double check that iPod cable in the back of the unit is plugged in tightly.

www.avinusa.com

email: tommy@avinusa.com

///M3Evolution Dynavin Android Rom
AKA: m3evolution

http://www.youtube.com/user/AVINUSA

$50 OFF BMW E46 Avant-2 Coupon Code: e46fanatics
tommy@avinusa.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:07 AM   #90
RelaxIN

Will do Tommy... I'll do that this morning...so I assume based on your answer that it is plug and play... Also, I have one other question about the new unit, it is possible to give you a call rather than post it on the forum..? if so, can you please PM me a number... Thank you... Rick
Old 04-24-2014, 08:13 AM   #91
tommy@avinusa.com
AKA: M3Evolution

My Ride: 2003 M3 SMG
Relaxin: Our contact info and number is posted in our "Contact Us" section of our website, but the best and fastest way to reach me is by email at tommy@avinusa.com or via LIVE chat directly from our website www.avinusa.com

www.avinusa.com

email: tommy@avinusa.com

///M3Evolution Dynavin Android Rom
AKA: m3evolution

http://www.youtube.com/user/AVINUSA

$50 OFF BMW E46 Avant-2 Coupon Code: e46fanatics
tommy@avinusa.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #92
skelzy

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
I think the multiple options of connecting to the unit are awesome and really appeal to the masses. But for me, other than ability to charge my iPhone, I don't see myself using a USB teather because why would I need that whenI can just stream via Bluetooth or from an SD card? I suppose the digital signal could be better and more constant than streaming but I personally don't see myself using it. Just for discussion sake, why do you guys run an ipod to the glove box when you have phones that can stream directly to the unit? Apps like Spotify eliminate the need for teathering IMHO. Same could be said for an aux imput. No need. Yes, glad it's there and included with the unit but don't see the need. Can anyone clarify for me why to choose these inputs as opposed to Bluetooth streaming? I am just trying to determine if I even need to connect these cables behind the unit when I install it. I am extremely excited to receive my unit which is on its way

Last edited by skelzy; 04-24-2014 at 11:28 PM.
skelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:02 AM   #93
alirz

Bluetooth streaming does not have the same quality.
I personally want steering wheel controls.

I do not want to use my phone for music, I rather have an independent device for that.
If someone just wants Bluetooth streaming then there are radio units out there that will do that for $100
Old 04-25-2014, 12:14 AM   #94
Qtonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alirz View Post
Bluetooth streaming does not have the same quality.
I personally want steering wheel controls.

I do not want to use my phone for music, I rather have an independent device for that.
If someone just wants Bluetooth streaming then there are radio units out there that will do that for $100
I consider myself a bit of an audiophile personally. In my home I have a dedicated stereo room with good equipment and a nice lossless music collection in addition to things like spotify high quality files, for example.

To my ears the bluetooth streaming sounds great over the stock HK amp and speakers. And it does offer steering wheel controls for most apps and players. In fact, I have not so far seen anything that the wheel buttons don't control over bluetooth (see my bluetooth video).

So I was pleasantly surprised with the bluetooth even if I'll mostly use one of the many other input choices usually. Synced Spotify files are my top choice for now, but the bluetooth implementation is solid for sure.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:56 PM   #95
RelaxIN

Hey... are any of you guys having an issue installing apps on the SD card...? I picked up a 32GB Class 10, copied some musing, pics, movies to it with no issues... the Head Unit can see and read it fine... however, I went to install dropbox and swift key (keyboard) and when trying to install its telling me that I have insufficient space... any idea's... possibly a setting somewhere that i'm not aware of...? Thanks...Rick
Old 04-26-2014, 08:03 PM   #96
Qtonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelaxIN View Post
Hey... are any of you guys having an issue installing apps on the SD card...? I picked up a 32GB Class 10, copied some musing, pics, movies to it with no issues... the Head Unit can see and read it fine... however, I went to install dropbox and swift key (keyboard) and when trying to install its telling me that I have insufficient space... any idea's... possibly a setting somewhere that i'm not aware of...? Thanks...Rick
Use the file manager to look at the 'C:' drive. There you will see the apk (installation) files for the apps you already have installed. Press and hold on each one until the menu comes up, then press delete. Delete all of them. They're not needed once installed.

I'm not sure why it claims it's out of space when there's still plenty left, but it does. No big deal once you know. I just periodically remember to clear those.

Hope that solves it for you. I talk about this in my troubleshooting video, but it was buried somewhere in the middle I think. -- Qtonic
Old 04-26-2014, 08:39 PM   #97
d33p

My Ride: zcp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtonic View Post
I consider myself a bit of an audiophile personally.

To my ears the bluetooth streaming sounds great over the stock HK amp and speakers.

You cant be an audiophile in any way if you think the stock HK amp and speakers sound great. They couldnt sound any more like garbage if they tried.

Might be time to get that hearing checked
d33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:53 PM   #98
raichean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtonic View Post
Use the file manager to look at the 'C:' drive. There you will see the apk (installation) files for the apps you already have installed. Press and hold on each one until the menu comes up, then press delete. Delete all of them. They're not needed once installed.

I'm not sure why it claims it's out of space when there's still plenty left, but it does. No big deal once you know. I just periodically remember to clear those.

Hope that solves it for you. I talk about this in my troubleshooting video, but it was buried somewhere in the middle I think. -- Qtonic
Yup... seeing the same thing myself, and can duplicate if I install app X, uninstall and then attempt reinstall. It will tell me the drive is out of space. I am sure this is because it is seeing the previous install file and becoming confused. Bug has been reported and filed. 8)
Old 04-26-2014, 08:55 PM   #99
raichean

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33p View Post
You cant be an audiophile in any way if you think the stock HK amp and speakers sound great. They couldnt sound any more like garbage if they tried.

They aren't BAD.. but I am definitely setting money aside for the BavSound stage 1, and then stage 2 upgrade! My project budget is a little trashed right at the moment.. *Smile*
Old 04-26-2014, 08:57 PM   #100
Qtonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33p View Post

To clarify, which apparently I need to... I think it sounds great considering it's the stock HK amp and speakers. In other words, someone probably doesn't need to worry about bluetooth audio fidelity just using the stock system, because bluetooth won't really be the bottle neck in the system. I doubt a person could hear the difference between the lossless hi-res files I've got on the USB versus those same files played over bluetooth, or at least not much of one.

Given the context and the fact that the limits of the HK system are known, I figured that message would come through between the lines, but I forgot there's always someone on the internet trying to make a point and bring you down a notch. Dumb me. Off to get my ears checked.

Tags
avant, avant2, avin, avinusa, m3evolution