E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #61
SoloII///M

My Ride: Many
Annoyed that I didn't time the cams properly - there should be another 8hp over the whole RPM range once I fix that issue, but not bad for just a manifold and tune.

Blue was the old M54 manifold tune, green is the M50.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e46dyno.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	554550  

Last edited by SoloII///M; 04-19-2014 at 08:51 PM.
SoloII///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #62
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
John,

ABSOLUTELY STELLAR !!!

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:49 AM   #63
bernie21614

My Ride: 01 330i
Good shit bro. Keep the update coming,
bernie21614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:26 AM   #64
shanehutton

My Ride: E30 325 / E39 528
I was under the impression that the exhaust vanos didn't really provide any power. I have read results from testing that showed little to no gains. Is it just that your cam timing is off a bit or that you are seeing gains with the exhaust vanos. I am building one now and was planning on locking the exhaust cam to simplify things. Now I am second guessing that idea. Hmmmm.
I also ported my head for the M50 intake so I have been following your progress closely.

Last edited by shanehutton; 04-20-2014 at 10:26 AM.
shanehutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #65
SoloII///M

There is a ton of misinformation out there. The exhaust cam phasing gives HUGE gains when the rest of the intake and exhaust is optimized. The problem is there is a bunch of intake cam phase and exhaust cam phase interaction so it takes a long time with a methodical approach to optimize it.

Do not lock your cams unless you want to leave a bunch of power on the table.

The other issue is the BMW tools don't really allow precise timing of the cams. The engine needs to be perfectly at TDC to set them up and the flywheel lock tool allows a few degrees of slop. Need to set it with a dial indicator to be precise.

Ultimately that is my current problem. I relied on the factory tools to set up the cams and the exhaust didn't end up perfectly centered in the sprocket's range.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #66
hoveringuy

My Ride: e30
I had a hard time finding gains with my exhaust timing until I installed the S50b32 headers. I ran numerous dyno runs with every variation of exhaust retard and wasn't finding gains anywhere. Like John said, once I installed the headers I started seeing some gains by retarding exhaust. There's a fine line to achieve optimum scavenging, dynamic compression, negative pressure and all of the factors that play into making power. Then there's injection angle, timing, etc.

I'm sure John will be seeing 250 after some more tuning iterations. Nice work!

John: Any idea why peak power moved left?

Last edited by hoveringuy; 04-20-2014 at 12:01 PM.
hoveringuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #67
SoloII///M

Yeah, the engine really wanted more exhaust cam advance up high and it caused power to tank not being able to turn the cam "past the stops."

Keep in mind, we are moving the exhaust and intake cams EVERYWHERE. It is not always intuitive where thy want to be at any given RPM.

I don't expect more peak power based on the other car with this setup. But the 4000-6000 and the 6000-7000 will wake up a bunch.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #68
kraimer

My Ride: 04 330Ci, 00 323it
Send a message via AIM to kraimer
How would a stock dme react to an M50 manifold with ZHP cams (non ZHP car). Would it be able to adjust or needs a tune?
Ps. Nice work!!!
kraimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #69
SoloII///M

You would need custom tuning

Old 04-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #70
kraimer

My Ride: 04 330Ci, 00 323it
Send a message via AIM to kraimer
Can you recommend someone on the northeast?
kraimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #71
SoloII///M

I can't think of anyone to recommend. The person I would go to if I had kept the factory DME is Randy Mueller, but I think he's in Florida. I initially worked with Technica (I think they're near Atlanta). I do not recommend. At all.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:08 PM   #72
shanehutton

After I ported to match the M50 mani, I cleaned things up through to the valves and enlarged the exhaust ports to match my headers. Also running a set of Schrick 272/256 so it should be moving a lot of air. I figured that locking the exhaust cam would lower the number of variables to tune. I didn't think I would be leaving much on the table. If it is only 5hp or so I may still leave it alone as it's a track car and I would rather spend the dyno time and money at the track

I still haven't read enough about vanos tuning with an MS3x so I guess I need to get on that along with my other research. I noticed that a couple of you are running Megasquirt. Can anyone recommend any reasonable starting points or useful links to get me in the ballpark for the MS tune? I would love to get close before getting it on the dyno so anything would be helpful. How much cam timing adjustments do they like? How much spark timing?

Sorry, I guess this is a bit of a thread jack.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:30 PM   #73
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
Nice updates, from the graph, the DISA myth looks like a joke. Curious to hear your thoughts when you get this all finished up. From the gains, it looks like a nice upgrade.

Sedan Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:26 AM   #74
reggid

My Ride: .
would have been interesting to see the runs start at 2k to see what affect it has to the bottom end for the folks who dont track their cars as there are hints below 3500 there might be 7 lb-ft or so.

any theories at to why the powerbands noses over alot faster? usually a bigger manifold would plateau from the peak for quite a few rpm and give more useable rpms
reggid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:48 AM   #75
SoloII///M

Read the thread. I said why the power noses off.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:08 AM   #76
SoloII///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanehutton View Post
After I ported to match the M50 mani, I cleaned things up through to the valves and enlarged the exhaust ports to match my headers. Also running a set of Schrick 272/256 so it should be moving a lot of air. I figured that locking the exhaust cam would lower the number of variables to tune. I didn't think I would be leaving much on the table. If it is only 5hp or so I may still leave it alone as it's a track car and I would rather spend the dyno time and money at the track

I still haven't read enough about vanos tuning with an MS3x so I guess I need to get on that along with my other research. I noticed that a couple of you are running Megasquirt. Can anyone recommend any reasonable starting points or useful links to get me in the ballpark for the MS tune? I would love to get close before getting it on the dyno so anything would be helpful. How much cam timing adjustments do they like? How much spark timing?

Sorry, I guess this is a bit of a thread jack.
The more air you are moving, the more the cam tuning matters. If you're going to the trouble of installing an MS system, cams, etc then take the time and get everything out of it that you can.

I can't really give you a starting point, your car is going to be much different than mine. We did use V Analyze Live to get most of the driveability issues sorted after the initial install. It worked pretty well.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:24 AM   #77
shanehutton

Would you be able to send me your msq file once you get the cam timing fixed just so I can have a look at where you ended up with things such as ignition timing and vanos settings? I find it is helpful to contrast different peoples tunes and approaches. I don't foresee my engine being back in the car for a month so there isn't a huge rush. If you would rather keep it private that is ok too. I understand.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:15 AM   #78
SoloII///M

I apologize but I don't really want to share that information. And anyway, the VANOS settings in particular will vary tremendously from car to car. I really don't think what I have in there will be helpful to you.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #79
shanehutton

No worries.

Did you weld up the idle ports or did you fill them with something else? I ended up filling them with JB Weld. I guess the easiest way would have been tap and plug at the manifold end but I wanted to seal the other side to keep the ports clean. I didn't see any photos of this in the thread.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:51 PM   #80
hoveringuy

My Ride: e30
Good point; I haven't gotten that far/thought about that yet.

As an aside, I accidently poked a small hole in my gas fireplace casing. When I put a blog of JB weld on the outside to seal it a narrow thread of JB weld squeezed out into the fireplace maybe 3/4" long and 1/16" thick.

I left it there, thinking it woudl break off. No... it's been that way for years now.
hoveringuy is offline   Reply With Quote