E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2014, 09:29 PM   #1
1fast330

My Ride: BMW 330i,325xi,328i
VF install question ?

Hi All,
New here but have been lurking for a while.
In the process of installing a VF supercharger on my 2001 330i , and I am struggling a bit. Instructions are VERY vague, and the pics depict an e36, even though its the e46 kit !
Fitment was a bitch , but finally got the correct technique and order of hoses installed in the proper manner. Getting that intake tube on the backside of the blower was a royal PITA !
Anyway ......... I have a question for anyone who has installed one of these kits on there e46 nonM .
VF supplies in the kit, the "Bosch" overrun assembly with hoses (basically a blow off valve ). My question is in what direction does this thing get installed ??? There is not much in the instructions about it. Basically it must be installed between the intake pipe (in a port down by the air filter and just after the maf) to the output pipe ( in a port just after the supercharger right before the throttle body). Does anyone know in which direction this thing is supposed to be mounted. I know the small tubing coming off it goes to a vacuum tee on the intake. But I am unsure of the direction that the valve itself needs to face ? Can someone tell me which end of the hose needs to hook up to the INTAKE (right after the MAF by the air filter) side of the tubing (the short straight hose or the longer hose?)
Here is a picture of the valve and hoses in question ......

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...tart=0&ndsp=23

Any help would be appreciated. Just waiting on the Hex Flash cable and we should be running Monday !

Thanks !_a_
1fast330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
1fast330

VF Install help

Double Post

Last edited by 1fast330; 03-30-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:58 AM   #3
pokeybritches

My Ride: G-Power Z4M, VF Z4
I have been confused about this step as well. I originally installed it with the boosted side applying pressure perpendicular to the axis of actuation, if that makes sense. When the vacuum would pull the BPV open, the air could then flow back to the intake, with the vacuum being only pressure causing the valve to move.

When I had a shop replace the Bosch BPV with a Tial BPV, the shop said I had installed original BPV backwards. They said the boost pressure should push against the spring'ed side, and the vacuum should give it that extra little push to open. In other words, the boosted side is in line with the vacuum side, not perpendicular. Hope this helps. I'll see if I can find pics.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

G Power Z4M and VF Engineering Z4 3.0i
pokeybritches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
1fast330

This may help for anyone to understand what I am trying to say ........... Its kind of hard to explain without a picture ........lol .

Basically this BPV can be installed in either direction (and it does fit perfectly in either direction too which doesnt help) .

If we are talking about the side that is circled and has the arrow going towards it ..............does that end hook up to the intake side (vacuum side by air filter BEFORE supercharger) or does it hook up to the pressure side (by the throttle body AFTER the supercharger) ???
VF wants the small hose to go to the intake vacuum port. No question there.

Here is the strange part of the story ............
The directions DO say in a vague sort of way ............."hook up the short straight hose to the intake".
But ...................
When I called VF about it (Jeff was not in) , the person I talked to was not quite up on this kit and said the short straight hose goes to the pressure side, but he wasn't 100% sure and said the directions must be wrong .

I have it hooked up so the short straight hose (the one circled in the pic) going to the PRESSURE side after the supercharger, and the long curvy hose going back to the intake side. Thats the way I would think it should go , and the guy at VF confirmed as well.

I just dont know for sure and dont want to put the car 100% back together before I get a positive answer on it.

Thanks for any help !!!
Old 03-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #5
1fast330

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
I have been confused about this step as well. I originally installed it with the boosted side applying pressure perpendicular to the axis of actuation, if that makes sense. When the vacuum would pull the BPV open, the air could then flow back to the intake, with the vacuum being only pressure causing the valve to move.

When I had a shop replace the Bosch BPV with a Tial BPV, the shop said I had installed original BPV backwards. They said the boost pressure should push against the spring'ed side, and the vacuum should give it that extra little push to open. In other words, the boosted side is in line with the vacuum side, not perpendicular. Hope this helps. I'll see if I can find pics.

Thanks for the help !
It is a bit confusing. I wonder if it really doesn't even matter ?
A pic would help if you have one !

I will say that this was not the funnest "bolt on" install . I cant see how anyone would install this system with out having at least some creativity, and a good knowledge of car repair . I have a full shop, the car is on a lift , and I have a huge selection of tools at my disposal .........and this kit made me swear out loud a lot during the install .
No way a backyard mechanic is doing this in his garage easily.
After it is a all said and done now .............. the install looks VERY nice and VERY factory looking. An average guy looking at the engine bay would be hard pressed to even know there is anything more than a stock E46 sitting there. I have the new black V3 Vortech supercharger , so that help keeping the "OEM" look. Nice kit, but the install ...........was a major PITA !

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
pokeybritches

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1396195386.733846.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	551982Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1396195480.364374.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	551983

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1396195605.114080.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	551986Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1396195639.648008.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	551989

On the Tial, the small tube at the top is the vacuum. The large side is the pressurized side that is held down by the spring. The discharge side that hooks to the intake is the tube sticking out.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #7
pokeybritches

In your picture, the circled side is the pressurized side, at least according to what my shop told me. I originally installed it the other way though.

Totally agree with the install. I had to raise the engine on the Z4 with my install. Tech support would answer about every third email. Finally they gave me a very thorough response after I complained on the forums. I am a shade tree mechanic, meaning I did the work on concrete in the 95 degree summer heat haha. Before this job I had only done spark plugs, FCABs, and a starter. What a learning experience...

Old 03-30-2014, 01:12 PM   #8
1fast330

Quote:
In your picture, the circled side is the pressurized side, at least according to what my shop told me. I originally installed it the other way though.

Totally agree with the install. I had to raise the engine on the Z4 with my install. Tech support would answer about every third email. Finally they gave me a very thorough response after I complained on the forums. I am a shade tree mechanic, meaning I did the work on concrete in the 95 degree summer heat haha. Before this job I had only done spark plugs, FCABs, and a starter. What a learning experience...

THANKS !!!
Thats the way I have it now, and I really dont feel like changing it again, because that would mean removing the intake from the T-body .........again. It does seem to fit slightly better in this correct direction.
What a PITA ! It could really be a MUCH easier install if the directions were spelled out a lot better.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #9
pokeybritches

I agree. Instructions were my top complaint. I mean how many times has this kit been installed, and there still aren't model-specific instructions?? Mine were for a Vortech V2 on a Z3, not a V3 on a Z4.

Other than some tuning issues, the kit does look and sound good. I'll be purchasing the flash cable soon. I made 285 rwhp with headers.

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1396200457.599091.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	552010

Old 03-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #10
1fast330

Quote:
I agree. Instructions were my top complaint. I mean how many times has this kit been installed, and there still aren't model-specific instructions?? Mine were for a Vortech V2 on a Z3, not a V3 on a Z4.

Other than some tuning issues, the kit does look and sound good. I'll be purchasing the flash cable soon. I made 285 rwhp with headers.

Attachment 552010

Nice !

Yea with the amount of VF kits getting installed, you would figure for $5k (MSRP) , they would at least update the instructions and make them model specific. They could easily give a bit better details and pictures to make the install a LOT more straight forward . There were WAY too many "does it go this way or that way" things that came up during install that makes you a little uneasy if it all went together correctly.
My instructions were for a V2 E36, and I have a V3 E46 . They did add an addendum for the V3 updates and instructions to disregard all the original details that pertain to the V2 . Was still a little hazy .

I guess they are more interested in the higher $$$ applications like the Lambos, Spykers and Porsches than the lowly Bmers and Audis / VDubs.

Seriously though, they have been pretty good to work so far, and the kit is looking great AFTER the install is about over.
I should have my Hex Flash Cable tomorrow, so will update on how it all works after its up and running.

Thanks !

Last edited by 1fast330; 03-30-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #11
erickonphoenix

My Ride: 2004 325i Touring
I'm planning on adding a VF to my e46 touring next year. How did it work out?
erickonphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:28 AM   #12
1fast330

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
I'm planning on adding a VF to my e46 touring next year. How did it work out?
Sorry for not updating.
The VF kit is fantastic. Much more power than a stock 330, but still very drivable for everyday use. The install was a bit of a pain in the neck.............mostly because of VF's lack of proper directions. Other than that the kit looks like a BMW factory supercharger. The fit and finish is perfect. NO cels or any other issues at all . Right from the start it has been perfect. The car is exhilarating to drive now. Feels much like a BMW M3 SMG now. Doesn't handle like one, but the power is there.

Now ........the reason I didnt update.
After taking the long 300 + miles to break in the VF kit, was just starting to enjoy the full power of the new system (about a few hundred miles more). I was rear ended and sideswiped on the passenger side of the car. .
Car still runs and drives perfect but is likely going to be totaled out. Even though my 330 was in fantastic condition, because its a 2001 .............the insurance co. is most likely going to total it. So now I have to decide to get another e46 that the VF kit will work on .............or just sell the kit now.
Will probably sell the VF kit as a complete bolt on kit including the tuned 330 ECU now. Kit has approx 800 miles on it.
Still very upset about the whole thing, and will decide this week on what direction I am going.

Oh Yea, after that............my wifes 325XI left us stranded when it blew out the upper Rad hose a few days ago ! The factory plastic hose attachment for the hose just crumbled away at the neck !!! Luckily I was driving and shut the car down right away, and didnt cause any major damage. Just replaced the $70 upper hose (at the BMW stealership, because I had no choice to get it quickly) , and its fine.

Yea..............its been an interesting few weeks !
Old 04-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #13
erickonphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fast330 View Post
Sorry for not updating.
The VF kit is fantastic. Much more power than a stock 330, but still very drivable for everyday use. The install was a bit of a pain in the neck.............mostly because of VF's lack of proper directions. Other than that the kit looks like a BMW factory supercharger. The fit and finish is perfect. NO cels or any other issues at all . Right from the start it has been perfect. The car is exhilarating to drive now. Feels much like a BMW M3 SMG now. Doesn't handle like one, but the power is there.

Now ........the reason I didnt update.
After taking the long 300 + miles to break in the VF kit, was just starting to enjoy the full power of the new system (about a few hundred miles more). I was rear ended and sideswiped on the passenger side of the car. .
Car still runs and drives perfect but is likely going to be totaled out. Even though my 330 was in fantastic condition, because its a 2001 .............the insurance co. is most likely going to total it. So now I have to decide to get another e46 that the VF kit will work on .............or just sell the kit now.
Will probably sell the VF kit as a complete bolt on kit including the tuned 330 ECU now. Kit has approx 800 miles on it.
Still very upset about the whole thing, and will decide this week on what direction I am going.

Oh Yea, after that............my wifes 325XI left us stranded when it blew out the upper Rad hose a few days ago ! The factory plastic hose attachment for the hose just crumbled away at the neck !!! Luckily I was driving and shut the car down right away, and didnt cause any major damage. Just replaced the $70 upper hose (at the BMW stealership, because I had no choice to get it quickly) , and its fine.

Yea..............its been an interesting few weeks !
Wow that's a lot of car trama lol.
I come from a couple of Subaru WRX's which were fun but not very well built. I love the design and feel of the e46 wagon but it's very underpowered and BMW doesn't have a performance option in the touring category, (Apparently the X5 is supposed to service that market, which is very aggravating because an SUV is completely different from a sport wagon) but it is what it is. I started with a stop tech upgrade to the brakes, just finished installing an H&R suspension. I'm changing out the radiator and cooling system this weekend then saving some money for the VF next year. I'm a little concerned about how the automatic transmission will hold up under the extra power. I looked for the 5 speed but never found one in the price or condition I found acceptable. I've been considering doing a tranny swap to a manual but that expense would come right out of the supercharger fund. So I'm thinking I'll add the supercharger and see how the auto handles it.
erickonphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #14
1fast330

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
Wow that's a lot of car trama lol.
I come from a couple of Subaru WRX's which were fun but not very well built. I love the design and feel of the e46 wagon but it's very underpowered and BMW doesn't have a performance option in the touring category, (Apparently the X5 is supposed to service that market, which is very aggravating because an SUV is completely different from a sport wagon) but it is what it is. I started with a stop tech upgrade to the brakes, just finished installing an H&R suspension. I'm changing out the radiator and cooling system this weekend then saving some money for the VF next year. I'm a little concerned about how the automatic transmission will hold up under the extra power. I looked for the 5 speed but never found one in the price or condition I found acceptable. I've been considering doing a tranny swap to a manual but that expense would come right out of the supercharger fund. So I'm thinking I'll add the supercharger and see how the auto handles it.
I love the Touring cars .......... I really wished BMW would have made a 330i touring. I would be all over one of those. The X doesnt really appeal to me either. I kind of like the Audi All Road look and I wish BMW would have made an e46 like it. Oh well.
I am also a Subaru guy. Had a Bugeye WRX Wagon , and had a 05 STI (which I still highly regret getting rid of).
I dont know, I may just go back to Subaru's for us. They were the most trouble free cars I have ever owned. Not BMW quality and lux , but still nice in an "outdoorsey, rugged " kind of way.

To be honest, I dont think I would SC a 325 automatic. Our 325XI is a slouch compared to our 330i (stock). After running the VF kit, I would really say that the Automatic is not as well suited to a Supercharger as a manual trans is. My 330i with the VF kit would be a whole different animal if it was a 5/6 speed.
As a matter of fact ...........my 99 328i 5 speed feels as strong if not stronger than my (when it was stock) 330i auto. The 330i with VF smokes the 328i 5speed now though. There is a serious amount of new power with the SC , even with the auto !

Good luck ,
Old 04-10-2014, 09:03 PM   #15
erickonphoenix

Ahh that's good to know. My auto doesn't seem very strong as it is. In that case I'll save my money and just do the bolt ons to get the 20 hp. That will get me to just under 200hp which might be acceptable. Thanks!

Old 04-11-2014, 08:54 PM   #16
1fast330

Ahhh, these BMW's are going to be the death of me !!! It gets better ............
Tonight, my wifes 325XI let her sit again .............thats twice in the same week for that car.
This time, the fuel pump went out. No warning, just stopped. Luckily I was able to get the fuel pump going again by tapping on the pump. Enough to get it home. So now I can look forward to spending $300. on a fuel pump for that car. At least its an easy job !
When it rains it pours !

Anyone want to buy a very slightly used VF supercharger kit including the tuned 330i ECM ????
Old 04-11-2014, 10:44 PM   #17
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
OP,

In the Insurance world, there is something called a "Buy Back" when dealing with your type of situation. Look this up & study it, you can keep and fix your Bimmer if you want to.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #18
pokeybritches

I don't think the automatic transmission would fail under the extra torque of the VF kit, because the VF kit doesn't add much additional torque.