E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #21
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Got any more info on CrossFit? You can PM me if you want. More so looking into general info beyond what I can find with Google, where to do it, how much it costs, etc.

I still want to finish this program just for my own desire to actually finish one of these after I start but do want to get into other things when I finish.

I track everything I eat using a phone app and stay at or a little below my maintenance calories. My wife's best friend from high school is a nutritionist, she gave me this diet so...
give a typical few days please, I'm curious
Old 04-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #22
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Of crossfit or insanity? I haven't done a few days of either yet so I can't really report back.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #23
dabears

Quote:
Of crossfit or insanity? I haven't done a few days of either yet so I can't really report back.
no of your diet
Old 04-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #24
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
Still no nudes. ..

[bimmerapp]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #25
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
no of your diet
Sunday:
Breakfast: Scrambled eggs (2 eggs), whole wheat toast (one slice) with low fat butter.
Lunch: Roasted turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and low fat cheese on whole wheat bread. Franks red hot added for flavor and put on a panini press.
Snack: Greek yogurt with strawberries
Dinner: Spicy tilapia (cayenne pepper, ground black pepper, salt, chili powder, cumin) pan grilled with asparagus and pan cooked garlic mushrooms. Everything pan cooked with small amounts (< 1 tbsp) of olive oil.

Monday:
Breakfast: Cereal (either quaker oat squares normal not the coated ones or other flake cereal) with skim milk.
Lunch: Leftover chili, smaller portion.
Snack: Same as above.
Dinner: Chili with kidney beans, chili beans, lean ground beef cooked and drained, tomatoes, mushrooms, green peppers, onions, low sodium chili seasoning, franks red hot. Slow cooked for 5 hours.

Yesterday:
Breakfast: Same again plus a banana.
Lunch: Also made chicken enchiladas Monday night for future lunches so I ate these for lunch. Grilled chicken, enchilada sauce, low fat cheese, zuchini, onions, sweet peppers, mushrooms on whole wheat tortillas.
Snack: Same greek yogurt except with cherries this time.
Dinner: Enchiladas again.

Today:
Breakfast: More of the same and with banana.
Lunch: Turkey sandwich same as above except with added avocado for flavoring. Not panini cooked because I'm at work.
Snack: Same again.
Dinner: TBD when I get home, probably chicken of some sort.

I put down at least 64oz of water a day if not more and try to avoid alcohol but still do drink sparingly.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 04-02-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #26
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
Still no nudes. ..

[bimmerapp]
Will provide at next fit test results check in.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #27
dabears

You should be losing fat eating that, it's not terrible.

Biggest things that stick out for me:

- Cut the cereal, it's garbage. It would be better to just not eat anything and wait for lunch. Or replace with protein/fat based breakfast, it will blunt insulin and help burn fat in the morning vs. spiking insulin and storing it (what you are doing now).
- You could use more protein. I pin you below 120g a day based on above. If you are interested in preserving muscle (especially if doing insanity) this will need to be least your bodyweight in lbs. Get it from meat, or dairy if you can stomach it.

Something stinks with the above though, you didn't get to be 185 lbs at 5'8 eating that way. Do you know any of your typical weights/reps for bench press / squats / deadlift / press etc.?
Old 04-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #28
SamDoe1

Thanks for the advice. The cereal is getting old so I'm going to be switching anyway. What do you recommend for a breakfast in specific that's both easy/quick to make and good?

Would protein powder be a good method to add protein to my diet?

My last stats:
Bench: 4 sets, 10x65, 10x135, 8x145, 6x155. Made progress here since I started with a max of ~6x95 9 months ago. If I went dumbell it was 65lb per hand.
Squat: 3 sets, 10x135, 10x155, 10x175. Again, made progress since I started with a max of 10x135
Deadlift: Same weights and sets as squat, just worked out that way.
Press: Dumbbell shoulder press, I don't remember exactly I think I was at around ~10x100, was working on improving on this.

FWIW, I didn't always eat like that and that was probably for the past 1.5 months.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #29
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
need to see squats. Take video. There is a depth epidemic out there and I want to make sure you're getting deep enough.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:05 PM   #30
dabears

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. The cereal is getting old so I'm going to be switching anyway. What do you recommend for a breakfast in specific that's both easy/quick to make and good?

Would protein powder be a good method to add protein to my diet?

My last stats:
Bench: 4 sets, 10x65, 10x135, 8x145, 6x155. Made progress here since I started with a max of ~6x95 9 months ago. If I went dumbell it was 65lb per hand.
Squat: 3 sets, 10x135, 10x155, 10x175. Again, made progress since I started with a max of 10x135
Deadlift: Same weights and sets as squat, just worked out that way.
Press: Dumbbell shoulder press, I don't remember exactly I think I was at around ~10x100, was working on improving on this.

FWIW, I didn't always eat like that and that was probably for the past 1.5 months.
I'm probably not the best person to ask this, as I don't eat breakfast. I used to, and I would just microwave a few eggs/egg whites in a omelette shaped plastic microwave container. It was disgusting, and I would scarf it down before work. You don't need to eat "breakfast" foods though, anything leftover that could be heated up quick would be fine.

Protein powder is a cheap way to get complete amino acids in concentrated form. They whey version in my opinion should only be consumed post workout, as it spikes insulin (you want this PWO). A casein based protein would be a good way to get an extra 25-50g per day.

I think if you did crossfit type football workouts that Solly is discussing (you have a few heavy 3-5 rep sets, followed by short, intense conditioning/cardio sets that are weightlifting based), with your current diet (+added protein) and focused on improving strength in your main lifts, as well as getting your form critiqued you would be able to lose fat while still adding weight to the bar each week. My 2c. Not a fan of insanity.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:05 PM   #31
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
need to see squats. Take video. There is a depth epidemic out there and I want to make sure you're getting deep enough.
my first thought was "he's not getting deep enough, guaranteed". None of us did at one point
Old 04-02-2014, 12:07 PM   #32
SamDoe1

Quote:
Gym membership on hold for two months. I always went hips just past my knees for depth, back straight. I did two personal training sessions when I started and the guy really stressed this.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 04-02-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #33
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Epidemic *sigh....* I loled hard

Quote:
Old 04-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #34
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
You live with z00??
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #35
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I'm probably not the best person to ask this, as I don't eat breakfast. I used to, and I would just microwave a few eggs/egg whites in a omelette shaped plastic microwave container. It was disgusting, and I would scarf it down before work. You don't need to eat "breakfast" foods though, anything leftover that could be heated up quick would be fine.

Protein powder is a cheap way to get complete amino acids in concentrated form. They whey version in my opinion should only be consumed post workout, as it spikes insulin (you want this PWO). A casein based protein would be a good way to get an extra 25-50g per day.

I think if you did crossfit type football workouts that Solly is discussing (you have a few heavy 3-5 rep sets, followed by short, intense conditioning/cardio sets that are weightlifting based), with your current diet (+added protein) and focused on improving strength in your main lifts, as well as getting your form critiqued you would be able to lose fat while still adding weight to the bar each week. My 2c. Not a fan of insanity.
I got the not a fan part haha.

I'll try and go hardboiled egg route instead. I feel like I need to eat in the morning or else I start feeling down on energy.

Where do I find casein protein?

I plan on doing crossfit after I finish this. Really want to give it a shot. I also want to do a race or two this summer so I'd like to gain a lot more cardio endurance quickly and feel that this will help.

I'm not at all thinking that this program will get me ripped as they claim it will, I just want it to rapidly lose fat and gain endurance.

I think my biggest issue before was the lack of cardio work.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #36
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
I am begging you, do not go the insanity route if you want to ever lift serious weight again, its a good work out for house wives or new mothers who want to drop lbs, but if you ever want to do any serious strength training it will only set you back.

Not sure how broad you are but as of now we are similar in size, but I'd imagine our composition is a lot different. I am 5'8" 196 lbs (size 44-45 suit for a measure of my shoulder width), 2+ months ago I was 207 lbs. I had been lifting for almost a year but started to drop weight when I started doing crossfit football type workouts.

You dont need to go to a dedicated crossfit gym (I do not), but it might be beneficial if you need to learn some of the lifts (I am still learning myself). All you need is a gym with squat racks and barbells, bumper plates are a plus. Additionally it would help if you gym had kettle bells, slam/medicine balls, etc.

After doubting this type of working out for a long time I must say it works, I've lost weight and have maintained/gained strength, my numbers are below:

Bench: 275 lbs back in August
I don't bench all that much anymore but I imagine I could put up closer to 300lbs now

Back Squat: 335 lbs max after working set
I will be doing 3 sets if 5 at 265 lbs today, been adding 10 lbs a week to my sets for 4 weeks now

Front Squat: 245 lbs, again after working sets (of both front and back squats)
Currently at 3 sets of 5 reps at 215 lbs, also adding 10 lbs a week to these

Dead lift: 405 lbs again after working sets
Currently at 1 set of 5 reps at 375 lbs, also adding 10 lbs a week to these, will attempt 385x5 this week

Shoulder Press: Most I'e done is 165 lbs x 3 or 4
Put up 155 lbs for 3 sets of 5 yesterday, this was heavy so I may stick with this for another week but I've been adding 5 lbs a week

You do these lifts with soem METCON work (metabolic conditioning) and I guarantee you will see better results than Insanity will ever get you.

For METCON ideas check out my thread, Solly's thread, or just ask.

And Tabata workouts should be you new best friend, they are 4 minutes workouts were you do 8 rounds of an activity for 20 seconds, then rest for 10 seconds and repeat for 4 minutes.

Some accessory exercises that should be your best friends and incorpoarated into METCONs and Tabata

KB swings
Slam Balls
Burpees
Jump rope
Pull ups
Push Ups
Dips
Mountain climbers
The list goes on

People around here are willing to help and will get you results, just ask and listen.

Last edited by bgsmith; 04-02-2014 at 12:28 PM.
bgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #37
DylloS

Sam, Brian is right. There is literally no need to do insanity. Take advantage of the free training this place offers you. I am proof that it's a waste of time. I went into this strength stuff weak and skinny and I still didn't see abs. It's not worth your time and effort to do those ridiculous repetitive workouts.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #38
SamDoe1

Thanks for the guidance guys, there is a CF gym in my area and I'll take a gander over there to see if they offer any free classes and stuff to try it out. I do want to go to a CF class and not do it myself because it helps me to keep on track.

Also, how does 2 months on insanity prevent me from ever lifting heavy again?
Old 04-02-2014, 12:50 PM   #39
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Quote:
Thanks for the guidance guys, there is a CF gym in my area and I'll take a gander over there to see if they offer any free classes and stuff to try it out. I do want to go to a CF class and not do it myself because it helps me to keep on track.

It wont prevent you from lifting heavy again but it will set you back a ton. And like I said you don't need to go to a dedicated crossfit gym if you don't want to.

But crossfit type workouts (ie: strength and conditiong, crossfit is a brand like kleenex) will get you the same fat loss results as insanity plus gaining strength and muscle, but if you want to be stubborn like a lot of people on here and not listen to those who have seen results by all means....

Last edited by bgsmith; 04-02-2014 at 12:53 PM.
bgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #40
DylloS

Quote:

It wont. But you'll probably be weaker than you are today. Why go backwards when you don't have to. Did you post a FB status about completing insanity or something and now feel obligated to it. It's a sh1t program for what you want to do.