E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 01:00 PM   #41
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
It wont. But you'll probably be weaker than you are today. Why go backwards when you don't have to. Did you post a FB status about completing insanity or something and now feel obligated to it. It's a sh1t program for what you want to do.
lol no I didn't post anything about it on facebook.

Alright, so if crossfit is a brand then where do I go about finding the generic version of it? My google searches have come up with all the "official" places, is that necessary or are there other options?

My zip code is 55442 in case any of you want to help me find a place.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #42
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post

Alright, so if crossfit is a brand then where do I go about finding the generic version of it? My google searches have come up with all the "official" places, is that necessary or are there other options?

It's a brand but most importantly a methodology. The definition is constantly varied funtional movements performed at high intensity. There is no generic version. It isn't a program. It's more of a style that you can use to make the workouts for yourself. CF affliates have free range on what we program. I follow CrossFit Football though. Whatever they tell me to do on a day I do it.

Go here and search. There are tons. Let me know ones you may want to check out
http://map.crossfit.com/

Last edited by DylloS; 04-02-2014 at 01:07 PM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #43
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Quote:

You can get some pretty good workout advice here, and its free, if Solly wants to send me a bill he can have my lawyers address

Best bet is to get some videos up of your form and list your workouts so they can both be critiqued and adjusted as such, once you get up and running. There are quite a few experts on here, and I dont just mean people that think they know what they are doing, but people who are pros who make money in the fitness field.

AND LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR, NOT ALL THE ANSWERS CAN BE FOUND EASILY ONLINE (ie: google), AS THERE IS A LOT OF CONFLICTING AND BAD INFO OUT THERE.

Last edited by bgsmith; 04-02-2014 at 01:16 PM.
bgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:19 PM   #44
SamDoe1

Thanks.

Other question I have is how many times a week to do this. There are many places that offer a 3 time a week rate and others that offer unlimited. What's recommended?
Old 04-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #45
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
You can get some pretty good workout advice here, and its free, if Solly wants to send me a bill he can have my lawyers address
I get that but I need a place that will structure things for me, that's a personal thing that I need for myself. I'm not all that great with doing those things myself.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:44 PM   #46
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
Hmm
Everyone bombarding samdoe with too much at once

Sam
Clarify your goals
Your 3 month, 6 month, 1 year ... possibly lifetime
Do you want to lift big and heavy? Do you just want to shed some fat and improve your cardiovascular health?
Do you just want a 6-pack and don't care about any functional strength?
You don't have to do crossfit or insanity or anything if you don't want to
Don't get pressured into doing it just because bunch of guys on the internet tell you to
Figure out what you want and stick to it

[bimmerapp]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)

Last edited by XKxRome0ox; 04-02-2014 at 01:44 PM.
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #47
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
Hmm

Sam
Clarify your goals
Do you want to lift big and heavy? Do you just want to shed some fat and improve your cardiovascular health?
Don't get pressured into doing it just because bunch of guys on the internet tell you to

[bimmerapp]
I get what you are saying, but the biggest issue is that until someone is educated, they may know what they "want" but they don't realize the results aren't what they wanted until it is too late.

Ask me how I know. It's almost like a journey of confusion that everyone must go through in order to get to the promise land.

I think best bet for OP would to give his goals, and his anticipation of what he would like to look like / perform like. There are plenty of knowledgeable people here who could structure the PROPER way to achieve it.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #48
DylloS

Quote:
Thanks.

Other question I have is how many times a week to do this. There are many places that offer a 3 time a week rate and others that offer unlimited. What's recommended?
at least 4 if you want the best results. All my 3 day people are told to do stuff in addition.

Quote:
Hmm

Sam
Clarify your goals

[bimmerapp]
Bombarding? we're telling to to drop the insanity and go check out CF.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #49
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I get what you are saying, but the biggest issue is that until someone is educated, they may know what they "want" but they don't realize the results aren't what they wanted until it is too late.

Ask me how I know. It's almost like a journey of confusion that everyone must go through in order to get to the promise land.

I think best bet for OP would to give his goals, and his anticipation of what he would like to look like / perform like. There are plenty of knowledgeable people here who could structure the PROPER way to achieve it.
exactly lol. We all have to learn. Our jobs here are to get people away from our mistakes.

Sam

List what you want out of all this and how long you expect it to take.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #50
bgsmith

Quote:
Hmm

Sam
Clarify your goals

[bimmerapp]
Says we are bombarding him, then asks him a series of questions.

Like Solly said all we told him was insanity was a bad idea and offered an alternative that is proven to work.

I provided so many details as a comparison as we are similar in size.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #51
bgsmith

Quote:
I get that but I need a place that will structure things for me, that's a personal thing that I need for myself. I'm not all that great with doing those things myself.
I get that, I prefer to work out alone and on my own schedule, the main reasons why I haven't joined a crossfit gym.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #52
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

Quote:
Says we are bombarding him, then asks him a series of questions.
Because answering those questions will make sam figure out what he wants
Not what you or anyone else wants for him
You're all projecting something on him ... when he hasn't really clarified his goals
Not everyone wants to lift heavy things or do so many reps for time that you collapse on the floor afterwards

For some people, insanity is perfect
For others, just walking a mile a day is fine
Let sam define his goals
For sure he wants to get unfat ... but what else does he want?

He's getting bombarded with suggestions about exercise and diet ... information about insulin spikes and protein consumption
He went from starting insanity to looking at crossfit gyms
He needs time to digest

[bimmerapp]

Quote:

Last edited by XKxRome0ox; 04-02-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #53
DylloS

Time to digest? The reason we offered CF style workouts, which pretty much this entire forum is going towards whether they call it CF or not, is because it will get you in better shape than almost anything out there because of what it is. The planning is not on you, the group environment makes you want to push hard, you are accountable, goals are defined etc. I'm pretty sure he wants to look his best and if he gets stronger great. He is small right now and wants to do insanity. He doesn't want to join a regular gym and wants instruction. It's an easy choice imo.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #54
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

10 years ago, you couldn't pay me to do the stuff I'm doing now
I loved muay thai kickboxing and it got me in great shape (until a drunk driver crashing into my car took me out of commission for 6 months)...
but if you told me to do barbell squats and deadlifts, I would have looked at you like you're crazy
Because that was not what I wanted

So figure out what you want, sam
Everyone is giving you good suggestions ... But none of it will work for you if that's not what you want

[bimmerapp]

Quote:

Old 04-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #55
bgsmith

Ed you are a lawyer so I imagine your reading comprehension is pretty good, Sam said he is doing insanity because he wants to lose fat before going back to lifting, seems like a goal to me, broad but a goal. We simply suggested types of workouts that will enable him to lose fat while lifting. No need to do insanity, then go back to weight training.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #56
DylloS

I have a place to eat in mind that will get me full and it's only 2 miles away but first I'm going to drive backwards 20 miles, get a little something in my stomach and then I'll drive to the place that will satisfy me.

Why would anyone do this? They wouldn't.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #57
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
I have a place to eat in mind that will get me full and it's only 2 miles away but first I'm going to drive backwards 20 miles, get a little something in my stomach and then I'll drive to the place that will satisfy me.

Why would anyone do this? They wouldn't.
i agree. crossfit isn't necessarily the only route he can go, but OP is falling into the trap that tons of misinformed people fall into: that you need to tear yourself down in order to build yourself back up again. getting into shape isn't like constructing a building; you don't need to shed every last bit of your former self before you can start packing on the pounds.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:29 PM   #58
SamDoe1

Quote:
Time to digest? The reason we offered CF style workouts, which pretty much this entire forum is going towards whether they call it CF or not, is because it will get you in better shape than almost anything out there because of what it is. The planning is not on you, the group environment makes you want to push hard, you are accountable, goals are defined etc. I'm pretty sure he wants to look his best and if he gets stronger great. He is small right now and wants to do insanity. He doesn't want to join a regular gym and wants instruction. It's an easy choice imo.
I'm not small at all, in fact I'm quite large in my opinion. Problem is the wrong type of large. I need to go quite a ways in the opposite direction.

Quote:
Ed you are a lawyer so I imagine your reading comprehension is pretty good, Sam said he is doing insanity because he wants to lose fat before going back to lifting, seems like a goal to me, broad but a goal. We simply suggested types of workouts that will enable him to lose fat while lifting. No need to do insanity, then go back to weight training.
Somewhat true. I want to lose fat, that's goal #1. Goal #2 is to drastically improve my cardio endurance. I want to do races this summer and want to sign up for a sprint triathlon we have here in MN in September.

I will for sure go back to weight training one way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
i agree. crossfit isn't necessarily the only route he can go, but OP is falling into the trap that tons of misinformed people fall into: that you need to tear yourself down in order to build yourself back up again. getting into shape isn't like constructing a building; you don't need to shed every last bit of your former self before you can start packing on the pounds.
I don't believe that at all but I have a goal to strip off as much fat as possible as quickly as possible. Not trying to tear myself down before building back up, just trying to chase a different goal(s)

Ok here's where I'm at and what I've done so far.
1.) I looked around at a couple CF gyms in the area and sent off a few inquiries about tours, costs, and classes.
2.) I really don't want to spend $150-200 a month on this. It's not like I don't have the money but I'd rather throw that towards something else at this point.
3.) I'm going to continue with insanity until I can make a final decision. If nothing else, it is a good cardio workout. Again, I'm not out to build muscle with this, I just want to lose the fat and gut.
4.) I personally know a few people who have done the program with spectacular results so I'm not going in blind.

My goals: I posted them in my first post but I'm looking to lose the fat number one and as quickly as possible. Again, I know people that have done this and it works great. No, you don't build a substantial amount of muscle doing it and that's ok for now.

I will continue to investigate crossfit but I'm not a fan of the cost at this point.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #59
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
I'll just leave this here:

http://rippedbody.jp/english/results-english/

Every single one of those results involved minimal to no cardio.

Strictly heavy bench/squat/press/deadlift & bodyweight exercises for 3-5 reps.

Biggest factor? Diet & Adherence. They calculated their maintenance calories, ate between 0-500 calorie deficit. They ate at least 1g of protein per pound of lean body weight, kept fat within 0.4 - 0.6g per lb of lean body weight, and filled in the remaining calories with carbs. They also adhered to the plan for the most part. Most of them ate 2-3 meals max a day, and trained 3 days a week.

Most of them got stronger while cutting, and all of them cut significant body fat in 3 months.

The media / general public teaches you your entire life that you need to beat yourself up, and that dieting should be painful in order to work. The proof just isn't there.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #60
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

Wait for the nudes
And videos
One step at a time

[bimmerapp]

Quote: