E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 12:03 PM   #21
aarondb4

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
You might have your tire shop recheck the balance on those tires. I did brand new FCA's with bushings and ball joints, got it aligned and balanced and had a shake. Took it back in for balance, one wheel was off a bit, got that fixed and all is smooth now.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #22
ewdavis3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HacksawMark View Post
What is your wheel tire setup? Could be one of the wheels is slightly off balance but you said they were balanced. From the symptoms you provided, my guess would be tires or the struts are worn.
Stock 16" rims, with new bridge stone tires... just had balance checked by tire shop who said they were balanced

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
ewdavis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #23
racin366

My Ride: 04 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewdavis3 View Post
Have not changed the tie rods yet, going to have my mechanic check them out today!

I'll say this slowly, try to keep up.
USING YOUR EYES AND HANDS, INSPECT THE FREAKING TIRES VERY CLOSELY.
racin366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #24
ewdavis3

Mechanic just showed me its my left ball joint. After I get a new control arm I'll be ready to ride!

Old 04-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #25
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Minn View Post
With many BMWs the FCAs and FCABs are the most common culprit for a shimmy in the steering wheel. It seems natural to consider those for the E46 as well.
Yeah no it's not. Don't know how many times it has to be explained to you people but parts that don't spin can't cause a vibration. I don't know who the moron was that put this into your guys heads but I really would love a shot at him. And that's a good one - it being a BMW specific problem - no, it's specific to this forum because it was an E46 owner that made this up and planted it into your brains.

Shimmy can only come from a wobbling wheel or the brakes. These are the only things that can cause a steering wheel shimmy:
Bent wheel
Wheel mounted improperly (debris between wheel/rotor/hub)
Out of balance wheel/tire
Out of round tire (broken belt or uneven wear due to driving for an extended period with an out of balance wheel)
Warped rotor
Seized caliper

Worn bushes can accentuate a shimmy but they are not the cause of it. Whether you want to believe that or not doesn't change the facts.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:22 PM   #26
ewdavis3

Can u change ball joints without buying new control arms?

Old 04-03-2014, 10:29 PM   #27
Yewzer B Lewzer

My Ride: 2003 325i
Shaking steering wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
Yeah no it's not. Don't know how many times it has to be explained to you people but parts that don't spin can't cause a vibration. I don't know who the moron was that put this into your guys heads but I really would love a shot at him. And that's a good one - it being a BMW specific problem - no, it's specific to this forum because it was an E46 owner that made this up and planted it into your brains.

Shimmy can only come from a wobbling wheel or the brakes......

Consider that a bad FCAB can lead to mis-alignment, then subsequent abnormal tire wear, then wobble. In this example the abnormally worn tire is the direct cause of the wobble but the root cause is the bad FCAB.

'03 325i. '74 Jeep CJ-5. '93 Sailfish 170XL. '12 Westside SS Longboard. One of these four are sure to be running at any given point in time.

Last edited by Yewzer B Lewzer; 04-03-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Yewzer B Lewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:23 AM   #28
ewdavis3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yewzer B Lewzer View Post
Consider that a bad FCAB can lead to mis-alignment, then subsequent abnormal tire wear, then wobble. In this example the abnormally worn tire is the direct cause of the wobble but the root cause is the bad FCAB.

Tire are not worn... they r really new

Old 04-13-2014, 10:43 AM   #29
TrentW

My Ride: 89 325is, 02 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post

Shimmy can only come from a wobbling wheel or the brakes. These are the only things that can cause a steering wheel shimmy:
Bent wheel
Wheel mounted improperly (debris between wheel/rotor/hub)
Out of balance wheel/tire
Out of round tire (broken belt or uneven wear due to driving for an extended period with an out of balance wheel)
Warped rotor
Seized caliper

Worn bushes can accentuate a shimmy but they are not the cause of it. Whether you want to believe that or not doesn't change the facts.
With all due respect, that's simply not true. Worn CAB's can cause the wheel to shimmy at highway speeds. Perhaps you've never owned an E34 before. Notoriously famous for this exact issue--along with the E31, E39, etc., etc. http://blog.bavauto.com/5597/bmw-fro...-arm-bushings/

A good indicator of worn bushings on the E46 is excessive wear on the inside edge of the front tires.
TrentW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #30
SoCaLe39

My Ride: 06 M5 & 03 325i
^^^ I have this exact issue at the moment and is one of the reasons why my new style 135 wheels aren't on. FCAB are shot, inner edges of my front tires are worn and I'm pretty sure my ball joints are done too. Complete suspension and brake overhaul coming very soon!
SoCaLe39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #31
Benny Minn

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentW View Post
With all due respect, that's simply not true. Worn CAB's can cause the wheel to shimmy at highway speeds. Perhaps you've never owned an E34 before. Notoriously famous for this exact issue--along with the E31, E39, etc., etc. http://blog.bavauto.com/5597/bmw-fro...-arm-bushings/

A good indicator of worn bushings on the E46 is excessive wear on the inside edge of the front tires.
My E34s were notorious for this even when everything else checked out fine (even with a completely different set of wheels or new brakes). BUT, the shimmy was only at certain speeds. It was nicknamed "the 55-65mph shimmy" because that's where it was most pronounced, often disappearing by 75mph…and seemed to be the result of some sort of harmonic resonance issue. This is why I said earlier that it wasn't out of the realm of possibility to think that this might also apply to an aging E46. The OP's description, however, doesn't fit that prognosis and I haven't seen much evidence that E46 suspension is as susceptible.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:16 AM   #32
ewdavis3

I got new controll arms and bushings, and thay got rid of some play. I still need to do my tie rods

Old 07-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #33
mrbitcoin

My Ride: 2002 325ci
wheel shake vibration

I have done all of the things below and still have a slight wheel vibration:

New LCA and Bushings
New rotors and calipers
new tires, balance and aligned

I am think about doing the wheel bearings next but also wondering if maybe its possible a new set of CAB's could be causing this? Maybe I got a bum set or something not sure. If not the wheel bearings I am thinking I will change the bushings again to a stock set instead of aftermarket.
mrbitcoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:16 AM   #34
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
if you have money to just throw parts at, sure no problem. do you have aftermarket rims or stock ones?
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote