E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #21
generalvp

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Sigh, that's why I hate winter and my car gets neglected

I still washed it when it was like 35 outside. Sucks but doable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jools View Post
I never wash the car when it's below freezing, but if it's in 30s I'll usually just fill the buckets with warm water and suck it up. It's not really all that bad since I'm less concerned with appearance in the winter and really just want to get salt off the body and undercarriage.
Looks like I will have to man up and start hand washing mine instead of going through the car wash, since temps are usually in the low 30s now.

OP, how do I get the "free unlimited car washes"?
Old 04-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #22
vengefulgod

My Ride: 325i
I feel the same way. I wash my car a bunch because I also have a unlimited wash plan. I wash my car 3 to 5 times a week and wax it 2 times a year. I live close to the beach and that salty air beats up on paintjobs. Yes washing your car by hand is the best way to go, but some people work 60+ hour weeks then have to deal with the stuff at home after the job. so I love my car but the car wash is much more realistic for my life style. after all the trips to the wash my paint is still in great shape. yeah you wash your car a bit much but do your thing, its your car man.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #23
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
If you wash that often, you need to wax or seal it more often.

Common Sense is officially dead.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #24
Jools

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by vengefulgod View Post
I feel the same way. I wash my car a bunch because I also have a unlimited wash plan. I wash my car 3 to 5 times a week and wax it 2 times a year. I live close to the beach and that salty air beats up on paintjobs. Yes washing your car by hand is the best way to go, but some people work 60+ hour weeks then have to deal with the stuff at home after the job. so I love my car but the car wash is much more realistic for my life style. after all the trips to the wash my paint is still in great shape. yeah you wash your car a bit much but do your thing, its your car man.
I think people are mostly reacting how they are because the OP is actually just wasting his time. Spending 30-45 minutes to do a hand wash once or twice a month (and then waxing a couple of times per year) is going to do more for your car than taking it to a drive-through every few days. You'll spend less time and money keeping your car up and it'll look better on top of that. If you live somewhere without snow you can easily get away with washing your car once a month.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #25
tkrotchko

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoppit View Post
Hello Folks,

I have looked up my account information and seen I have washed my current BMW 277 times. [...]

What are your thoughts on this?
I wash my car about 4 times a year whether it needs it or not.

I believe the thin layer of dirt protects the paint.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #26
vengefulgod

yeah I see OP is a bit loopy with the car washs, but i can maybe see why he might wash it so much. For me my wash is really convenient and on my way to work. takes just 3 minutes in and out. some people smoke 2 packs of cigs a day,some go get 2 starbucks a day, he washs his car. If I did a hand wash 2 times a month my car would look very dirty too often. I cant deal with that so I do the hand car wash every once in a while to get that dull trim re shined, interior car leather conditioned and vacuum those carpets, rim brake dust blah blah u know the deal.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #27
Max'd out

My Ride: 04 330cic
The touch-free washes do not clean the car well. Evidence is on your rocker panels. They only remove the top surface and leave the dirt film stuck to the paint. I used one only once on another car and had to wash it after to remove the film of fine dirt.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #28
vengefulgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrotchko View Post
I wash my car about 4 times a year whether it needs it or not.

I believe the thin layer of dirt protects the paint.
I never thought of it like that.those sun rayzz have no chance to do damage.

I also found a good picture that is proof that your theory is Correct.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mud.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	552536  
Old 04-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #29
tkrotchko

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vengefulgod View Post

I also found a good picture that is proof that your theory is Correct.
However did you take a picture of me in my business suit?
Old 04-03-2014, 06:35 PM   #30
vengefulgod

Im creepy like that
Old 04-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #31
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
the thing is everyone has a different perception of clean. Some people just don't want to see any dust and for a lot of people, automatic car washes do fine, not to mention the convenience. However, for majority of enthusiasts they usually have a different perception on "clean". For me, I don't care too much about dust since my car is outside 24/7, but one thing that bugs the hell out of me is swirls hence the reason why I don't let anyone wash my car let alone driving through automatic "soft touch" washes.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:09 PM   #32
KaktusJaque
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 325xi
OP go to youtube and search for junkman2000. You should get some good info from him. His vette is about as perfect as a car can get, and he doesnt wash it as much as you do.

2003 Touring 325 XiT (KJ's Ride)
2004 Coupe 325 Ci (Mrs. KJ's Ride)

Last edited by KaktusJaque; 04-03-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #33
Zardoz33

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Quote:
I generally wash my car every morning and every evening. So twice a day.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:23 AM   #34
chet31

My Ride: 05 330i convertible
Interesting test case. Many detailers would be screaming bloody murder at that washing frequency, but your clear coat seems to be holding up. I am not sure anyone really knows how many touchless car washes will kill the clear coat. You've washed it 277 times, that actually doesn't seem like much considering you wash it twice/day. Have you only owned the car for 6 months or so?

The clear coat does seem a bit hazy though. Also, the touchless wash is missing some spots. I assume you are getting a wash where you also get some spray on wax. If so, I wouldn't bother hand waxing it. The spray-on wax only needs to last an average of 12 hours, haha. However, I would hand wash it 1-2 times per month (when it's warm enough) to get the spots the touchless is missing. Twice a year, detar and clay bar it, then polish with a machine polisher. That will remove the haze and bring back the shine. Check back in in a year and let us know how the clear coat is doing.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:25 AM   #35
beeemerdude
Banned User

My Ride: Cabrio. Stick.
OP needs to register & spend time on match.com
Old 04-09-2014, 02:18 AM   #36
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
yes you are washing too much. you should be doing it yourself for best results. no car wash workers has ever touched any of my cars ever. the way it should be.

if you really want to be clean, try washing, scrubbing, and waxing your undercarriage. also try restoring the wheel wells. do this all yourself
Lol, waxing the undercarriage.

**** that, I pay people to do that completely unnecessary and tedious ass work. So actually, I pay no one to do that, because it's stupid.

A touch less car wash is equivalent to power washing your car. You won't do any damage to the paint, and is actually preferable to prevent swirl marks if you are able to somehow mix your car soap into it.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:54 AM   #37
mxchris727

My Ride: Fast cars
Send a message via ICQ to mxchris727 Send a message via AIM to mxchris727 Send a message via MSN to mxchris727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Lol, waxing the undercarriage.

**** that, I pay people to do that completely unnecessary and tedious ass work. So actually, I pay no one to do that, because it's stupid.

A touch less car wash is equivalent to power washing your car. You won't do any damage to the paint, and is actually preferable to prevent swirl marks if you are able to somehow mix your car soap into it.
Careful, power washers can cause grit to skip across the the paint scratching it. Happened to my brother's brand new black mustang.

I have a computer set up with DIS, TIS, SSS Progman, INPA, NCS Expert, WinKFP, Tool32 and PASoft with an EDIABAS interface; PM me if you want to stop by and code your car.
ISTA/D and /P with an iCOMM interface coming soon...
Old 04-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #38
jsickz32

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Wash my car every thursday night to have it clean for the weekend. I work 60+ hours 7days a week. Stop being a lazy butt. I even washed my car in the winter with warm water but i do have a garage i think my car looks better being hand washed. But thats me.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #39
leblancrene

My Ride: volvo 240 bmwe46
Quote:
Hello Folks,

I am obsessed with clean cars. I hate dirt, and I cannot stand a dirty car. I have an unlimited wash plan with Holiday Car Wash. Its the premium wash. It is touch free.

I generally wash my car every morning and every evening. So twice a day.

I have looked up my account information and seen I have washed my current BMW 277 times. I have not noticed any paint damage or fading at this time, but I heard so often that I am going to get peeling paint. I want to know if there is any truth behind this. I have searched the internet but cannot find any credible information about getting too many car washes.

What are your thoughts on this?
I think you have issues that run deeper than your cars paint.Have you seen a shrink.Perhaps find a usefull hobby .
Old 04-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #40
AudiEtr

My Ride: 330i
Wow 277 times. That's like 20+ hrs of car wash time. And you say your to busy for a hand wash?
Your car is gonna be a rust bucket in no time.
Dude, spray on some quick detailer, wipe it down and move on. Stop wasting water, time, and $.