E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
joe23452

My Ride: z3 & 325i
Multiple SES codes! Need help

On my wife's 01 325i, she told me the the SES light came on and the car had begun to idle rough. I pulled out the scanner and read 11 codes:
P0313
P0300
P1351
P0491
P1345
P1347
P1343
P1083
P1085
P0171
P1074
I did some checking and some reading and noticed the DISA had a worn o-ring, the CCV had failed (car would stall when I removed the oil fill cap) and the upper and lower intake boots were torn. I changed all that and started the car- idled good, plenty of power, much happiness!!! Wrong! I drove down the interstate about 10 miles to get my daughter at school and decided to take the secondary roads to avoid traffic and SES light came on and car started idling rough again although not as bad. Got home and read the codes- now down to 4- P0171,P0174,P1085, P1083.
Next I did something foolish, I just willy nilly decided to replace fuel pump and filter. Ordered them and installed a couple days later, started the car and it idled fine. Let it warm a bit and took it around the neighborhood and it started again- SES light (P0171,P0174), no power and rough idle.
Today after work, I started the car and let it idle and when the car was at normal operating temp, it started to idle rough again- SES light P1353. I noticed today that when I lightly tap on the accelerator, it sounds like a vacuum leak under the manifold.

Really getting frustrated now because the codes seem to be random even though it responds the same each time- run fine until normal operating temp and then crap with a different code. I'm about ready to pull the whole intake to look for a crack or something.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm at wits end right now.
joe23452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
There is so much plumbing under there, I wouldn't be surprised if something wasn't connected properly.
If you remove the alternator, you can get pretty close to those hoses.

Smoke test can point you in the right direction, too.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
Mario0617

My Ride: 2003 325i
My initial thoughts are if your intake checks out, then I'd say MAF first. Try to find a friend with the same mad in their car, swap em and check the idle, fuel trim, etc. For the p1083, I want to say try the oil seperator? I'm not super confident on that, but I've heard of this before I think.
Mario0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #4
Mario0617

My Ride: 2003 325i
I know you did ccv, but I'd just check it out once more for good measure.
Mario0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:10 PM   #5
joe23452

Update- Cleared all SES codes, however, I was still getting P1353 (# 6 misfire with fuel cutout) only when the car is driven locally and it gets to normal temp. I swapped #6 and #1 coils to see if the problem popped a #2 misfire. Every morning it starts right up with no SES and, for the last 3 days, driven to and from work( about 8 miles each way). This evening, came home after work and went back out and popped a P1353 again when I plugged the reader in when I got home. Waited about 3 min and started the car again- no codes, idling smooth. Does anyone have any thoughts- fuel injector crapped up? Chime in people.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #6
lszlszx

Check your coils for burns, coilboots and oil in spark plug holes. How are the spark plugs?
Old 04-10-2014, 03:35 AM   #7
joe23452

spark plugs looked good but replaced them anyway. No oil from valve cover in spark plug holes. Didn't notice any burn marks on the coils I swapped. Can the coils be tested for resistance with on ohmmeter?
Old 04-10-2014, 09:38 AM   #8
lszlszx

Possible, but it's not a conclusive test.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #9
jskin1510

My Ride: 01 BMW 330, 97 328is
I had a very similar set of codes as your first post... I had also replaced my air filter with a new K&N filter a few days before, and also sprayed/cleaned out my engine bay with some degreaser and pressure washer (carefully of course), Only other thing is ran some seafoam through gas tank. CEL came on a few days to a week after these. I figured it had to be related. I had the lean codes p0171 and p0174 and cylinders 1-3 misfired w fuel cut off and then p0300 multiple misfires and the regular misfire codes I believe p0304 p0305 p0306. over 6 months before this I'd replaced the fuel filter and spark plugs so I don't think those are issues. Plus car hesitates/flat spot/lag/vibration between about 3200 rpms and 3800 rpms by 4k it seems back to normal. Most noticeable in second gear, 1st and 3rd barely notice it at all.

EDIT: Above where I mentioned flat spot/lag/vibration between 3200-3800 rpms, turns out it was early signs of Center support bearing (bushing) going bad, Last week when started accelerating (mainly 2nd gear but a little and 1st and 3rd gear also) i would hear/feel loud vibrating/thumping from under the center of the car. I replaced guibo (flex disc) at same time. current update on CEL... just have lean codes now which I'm thinking is a vacuum leak I have to find.

I check plugs and coil packs all look good, (minimal amount of oil in cylinder 5 and 6 but I don't think it was an irregular amount).
I took off oil cap and car still idled fine (don't think my CCV is an issue)
cleaned MAF
unplugged DISA no sounds change so I don't think I have the "rattle" or issue there.
I can't hear any vacuum leaks and I looked around as much as I could without removing a bunch of stuff.

I guess smoke test is next for me, as well as actually removing the DISA and inspecting. Hopefully my trial and error helps, if I've troubleshooted my issue correctly thus far.

Last edited by jskin1510; 04-29-2014 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Correction found more info.
jskin1510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #10
joe23452

I read an interesting post today from a few years back and the guy was getting the misfire w/ fuel cutout and it would change- always the same cylinder. He found a pin in the female coil plug had slipped back and was making intermittent contact with the coil.......pushed the pin back and made solid connection - no more code.......going to look at the plug and the wiring this weekend. Fingers crossed.