E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 01:22 PM   #21
Bimme323

My Ride: Bmw e46
A $4000+ supercharger is way out my budget. I know nitrous its way dangerous thats is why im staying with the 30 shot. Just installed a fuel pressure switch set at 55 psi to ensure fuel press. Also AEM fuel pump just installed. With all of this im up to $1000. Plus tuning charges.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Bimme323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #22
JasonLI25t

My Ride: 2000 323ci
you already dropped your goal shot from 50 to 30. i sense weakness. and yes a brand new supercharger is expensive, used are much cheaper, and this is all about what it costs at the moment. but how much will it cost in the end? a lot more if the engine goes.

as far as "tuning" i believe the only tuning you will be doing is via the nitrous kit and MSD. better than nothing, but unless you are going to a bmw extraordinaire, i doubt you will be tweaking any of your cars internal settings for timing or fuel trims or anything else. i'm just not confident enough that tuning the kit to your stock engine parameters and using a wideband to monitor the AFR is really enough to prevent a blown engine. keep us posted with dyno results and i'd like to see a video as well, good luck.

Last edited by JasonLI25t; 04-06-2014 at 01:34 PM.
JasonLI25t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:43 PM   #23
Bimme323

Will do. The wideband is the failsafe type. It will shut off nitrous if goes lean or too rich. I was going to install a progressive controller but with such small set up i dont think i need it or what do you guys think?

Old 04-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #24
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
OP, ..............again; you are still in the wrong forum for all this.

As to any and all naysayers, BOOST IS BOOST. It does not matter if it is a turbo, supercharger, or a nitrous system.

In any of the above mentioned systems, AFR at WOT is of course important & must be maintained within the parameters of the system being used.

To me, it is clear the OP is in the beginning of his F/I learning curve. That being said not only can his or any other 2.5l Bimmer motor handle a 30 shot, they can handle a 100 plus WHP Direct Port shot.......all day long when setup properly.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #25
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimme323 View Post
A $4000+ supercharger is way out my budget. I know nitrous its way dangerous thats is why im staying with the 30 shot. Just installed a fuel pressure switch set at 55 psi to ensure fuel press. Also AEM fuel pump just installed. With all of this im up to $1000. Plus tuning charges.

Why would you go buy a 323 and then spend money trying to make it faster? If you wanted something faster and like the e46 chassis then why wouldn't you just buy a 328 or 330 to begin with?

You are going to destroy your motor with the nitrous. Even with just a 30 shot over time it will put added stress on it. By the looks of the way you installed it I would bet that your car hasn't been properly refreshed since you purchased, it so the nitrous will add to the stress of old worn out parts. You are also risking tearing your subframe with the added boost. Have you checked yours for existing tears or cracks yet? The older 323/328s were more prone to tearing to begin with so the added power mixed with an old car with original bushings and probably some corrosion from years of driving is surely a recipe for disaster. I don't think you are looking at the big picture here. Also how long after you use the 30 shot and get bored with it will you pump up the juice to impress your friends and end up smoking the motor?

If I were you I would remove the system before anything bad happens, sell it, and use the money to do some good for your poor car. BMWs aren't made for this kind of crap. If you want a car to do these sorts of mods to then sell your BMW to someone that will appreciate it for the wonderful car that it is and go buy a ***** car or an old trans am or something.

mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #26
JasonLI25t

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
OP, ..............again; you are still in the wrong forum for all this.

As to any and all naysayers, BOOST IS BOOST. It does not matter if it is a turbo, supercharger, or a nitrous system.

In any of the above mentioned systems, AFR at WOT is of course important & must be maintained within the parameters of the system being used.

To me, it is clear the OP is in the beginning of his F/I learning curve. That being said not only can his or any other 2.5l Bimmer motor handle a 30 shot, they can handle a 100 plus WHP Direct Port shot.......all day long when setup properly.

Rob43
unfortunately he is shooting this into the intake. direct port is much better, agreed.

i do not agree that boost is boost. pressurized air is not the same as nitrous oxide and this is why sometimes it is debated whether or not nitrous oxide is forced induction. again, it can make copious power and cheaply compared to alternatives, so if the downside risks weren't large, it would be a far more commonly installed item. i have no doubt that it can be properly used, have seen it a hundred times. i just don't think these vehicles are a great platform for it (m3 excluded).
Old 04-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #27
Bimme323

Rob i dont see that option to told me. I guess just post it again.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #28
Rob43
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonLI25t View Post
unfortunately he is shooting this into the intake. direct port is much better, agreed.

i do not agree that boost is boost. pressurized air is not the same as nitrous oxide and this is why sometimes it is debated whether or not nitrous oxide is forced induction. again, it can make copious power and cheaply compared to alternatives, so if the downside risks weren't large, it would be a far more commonly installed item. i have no doubt that it can be properly used, have seen it a hundred times. i just don't think these vehicles are a great platform for it (m3 excluded).
I hear what you're saying.

I will not argue about boost being boost, but that is my belief based on many years of successful Bimmer nitrous tuning.

Back to the OP & his nitrous,..... almost everyone that starts off using nitrous as a F/I platform starts with a small single nozzle shot. Then grows his or her base knowledge & slowly grows into more WHP with their single nozzle setup. Finally ending up with a custom direct port nitrous system if that's the way they wish to go.

Rob43

Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Old 04-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #29
Rob43
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimme323 View Post
Rob i dont see that option to told me. I guess just post it again.

I'll submit it for you, you'll probably need to approve it getting moved to the F/I sub forum.

Did you get my PM ?

Quote:
Old 04-06-2014, 02:22 PM   #30
Bimme323

Ok go ahead.

Thanks

Old 04-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #31
racin366

My Ride: 04 325ci
This won't be helpful to OP, more in the nature of stating interest and wondering if anyone knows... I have never used nitrous on a BMW, most of my nitrous experience is on much higher power street or race use (usually 600hp total or a lot more), but I'm very curious about the details. Especially tuning needs and how well the engine can handle it. I don't plan to do it on my 325, there is no point for me as I'm used to playing with several times the power, but I want to learn the specifics for these cars just because I don't know them yet. I bet it's fun as hell, but I've played with setups making north of 1500hp without damage, I'm certain any of our engines would need a complete race quality forged build and a lot more to get even 1/3 of that.

Sorry for the threadjack, but no point in starting a thread for curiosity. Thanks folks
racin366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #32
Rob43
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin366 View Post
This won't be helpful to OP, more in the nature of stating interest and wondering if anyone knows... I have never used nitrous on a BMW, most of my nitrous experience is on much higher power street or race use (usually 600hp total or a lot more), but I'm very curious about the details. Especially tuning needs and how well the engine can handle it. I don't plan to do it on my 325, there is no point for me as I'm used to playing with several times the power, but I want to learn the specifics for these cars just because I don't know them yet. I bet it's fun as hell, but I've played with setups making north of 1500hp without damage, I'm certain any of our engines would need a complete race quality forged build and a lot more to get even 1/3 of that.

Sorry for the threadjack, but no point in starting a thread for curiosity. Thanks folks
Welcome to the party !

I'm sure any knowledge you bring in will be greatly appreciated, I for one am always looking to learn more.

Rob43

Quote:
Old 04-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #33
racin366

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerTech84 View Post
Poor car. I would sell the BMW and buy a Camaro or Mustang if this is how you mod your cars. Forcing a poor 323 to literally kill itself (wait and see, I will be right) just so you can pull on a couple 330i's or a few bone stock mustangs with bad drivers is asinine. You do know your intake is made of plastic and will explode extremely easily, right? If you like learning hard lessons from first hand experience, party on bro! I give you no more than 15-20 pulls with a 50 shot before you start seeing problems with your engine. This thread makes me laugh and cry at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonLI25t View Post
this. and he thinks we are just being jerks. nitrous has its place and it is not on a bone stock M52tu.

the fact that he did a few pulls without the wideband even installed tells me he isn't going about this the right way. If you have any chance of keeping the engine from grenading on you, you need to keep track of the AFR constantly. If i were you, i would not have done any pulls that triggered the nitrous until i was actually ON the dyno with both the wideband installed AND the tailpipe sniffer of the dyno setup so you can accurately and safely hone in your wet nitrous shot. given the difficulty in "tuning" these engines as far as timing and trims are concerned, i am not sure you will ever have a truly clean or safe setup. this looks a bit hacked together. i also don't like the nitrous bottle on the floor of the rear seat.

personally, i would have used this time and money towards a true FI system like a supercharger, which will make more power throughout the rev range and provide more reliability. it is worth the extra cost if you want real power in these cars, and i can't see that your wet Zex setup is that cheap either.
You 2 might be jerks (and might not), but you at least have the basics down and everything I read might not be what the OP wants to hear, but it is accurate and something he should know before playing with smack. Engine builders love nitrous because it almost guarantees they will have customers needing an engine.

Last edited by racin366; 04-06-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:12 PM   #34
racin366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Welcome to the party !

I'm sure any knowledge you bring in will be greatly appreciated, I for one am always looking to learn more.

Rob43
Thanks Rob, for the moment I don't have much to add that hasn't been said, I need to learn more about tuning these cars first, but if there is anything I can help anyone with I will be glad to.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #35
Bimme323

Rob i got me this!!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1396973720.166410.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	553167

Old 04-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #36
Rob43
OEM ///Member

That's good, set it for 950 psi & get it installed (wrap it around from the bottom) as soon as you can. Also, I'm not sure if you have a nitrous pressure gauge mounted on the bottle or somewhere else. If you don't, purchase one & mount it, you need to be able to verify that you are always at your preset 950 psi for any & all tuning & normal use.

Quote:
Old 04-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #37
Bimme323

I have a gauge already.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #38
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Why are you guys giving him such a hard time? There's nothing wrong with using nitrous on these cars. Plenty of people have done it and will do it. I always had plans of a 50 shot on the car.

Good luck to you. Hope you have a blast with your car! That's what it's all about.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:21 PM   #39
autoAER

My Ride: 03 325xi,08 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
Why are you guys giving him such a hard time? There's nothing wrong with using nitrous on these cars. Plenty of people have done it and will do it. I always had plans of a 50 shot on the car.

Good luck to you. Hope you have a blast with your car! That's what it's all about.
Nothing wrong with it when done properly. But this is a STOCK m52. That, and he's shooting into the intake, not a direct port. We're not bashing on him, just bringing up some entirely valid points
Old 04-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #40
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Many people have run a wet shot on these motors into the intake boot. I'm not saying that a direct port setup wouldn't be better. Let him have his fun. Nothing wrong with bringing up good points and constructive criticism. People just need to quit trying to deter him from having a little fun.