E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
B78SYX

My Ride: 325CI 2004
The fine borderline between kitschy / cliché and desirable modding

Even I'm from a totally different continent, I think there is an worldwide similarity between many BMW owners (and let's resume the entire issue to E46 ones), applying a series of similar, if not identical modding to their cars.

A short list of such mods, no matter they have any efficience or just simple visual impacts, I would just mention M badges + other M design elements on non M cars, Corona / Angel eyes (on E46, of course, which was an unlucky model not to get those, not even with the 2004 facelift), Exhaust muffler delete, and the list can go on.

I wonder what is your position toward those, if anyone would like to share it.
I personally like some of those mods, even that I prefer the "genuine mint condition" look, I appreciate any modding that may bring practicality.

For example, I have just replaced my fabric grey upholstery with dark red leather, the OEM tape radio with an Alpine bluetooth unit, added parking sensors and a pair of daylight led running lights.

I admire some corona rings installations on e46 but, I found it quite difficult to do it on my facelift headlights, so I dropped the idea. I have also tried to focus on practical mods, as it is my daily use car and I really need some of this mods, on a frequent basis.

On the other hand, I consider M badges and design elements quite kitschy, when applied to non M cars, especially referring to Europe examples - here, not many go for more powerful engines, due to heavy taxation. So, you see a lot of E46 with fake M badges etc and even sport exhausts, wide tires but, featuring mostly M43 and N42 engines (correct me if I'm wrong - I am referring to the 316, 318, 320).
B78SYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
HLG600

My Ride: German
I don't mind the M badges if they come that way from the factory. I have 5 on my car. One on each of the Style 68 wheels and one on the M steering wheel I installed.

Regarding other exterior elements, it's common to see M3 and CSL replica bumpers on these cars. Some are done right and look incredible while others you can tell someone slapped a cheap bumper cover on.

End of the day, it's your car. If a modification enhances your enjoyment then go for it.
HLG600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
If you're modding your car because you want to look cool, don't bother trying to make it look like something it's not because everybody is just gonna make fun of you. And don't bother posting it here because no one cares to see a 316 with an M3 bumper and fake M3 mirrors from eBay.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Take the big cliche things that people do, then do them much more subtly. Tada, your car now looks cool!
Old 04-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
jamesbimmpolar

Im honestly never going to post a single picture on this site ever again bmw owners are boaring and to subtle. These things are beasts. mod the hell outa them blast modern cars outa the water! Grow some! clean is okay but be out there and wild neon kits, bass, huge chamber, tucked tires, air ride go nuts make a tuner thats what they are it drives fine.... you van improve it saying bmw did the research and everything is the best it can be is straight up bull s#!&. No wonder everyone assumes all bmw owners are uptight jerks. Most of them are lol. Im going balls to the walls on this car nothing you can do to stop me. I dont want someone to look at my car and be like oh neet..... I want them to say holy crsp dude how did you do that! Forget yall im doin my own thing!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
jamesbimmpolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
I can't tell if you are trolling right now...

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
Memlol

My Ride: 2004 330ci 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbimmpolar View Post
Im honestly never going to post a single picture on this site ever again bmw owners are boaring and to subtle. These things are beasts. mod the hell outa them blast modern cars outa the water! Grow some! clean is okay but be out there and wild neon kits, bass, huge chamber, tucked tires, air ride go nuts make a tuner thats what they are it drives fine.... you van improve it saying bmw did the research and everything is the best it can be is straight up bull s#!&. No wonder everyone assumes all bmw owners are uptight jerks. Most of them are lol. Im going balls to the walls on this car nothing you can do to stop me. I dont want someone to look at my car and be like oh neet..... I want them to say holy crsp dude how did you do that! Forget yall im doin my own thing!

The only response you'll get is "why did you ruin such a nice car"
Memlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
B78SYX

My Ride: 325CI 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
I can't tell if you are trolling right now...

Personally, even factory sourced M design trim (don't worry, Audi and MB owners, you got your S-line and AMG look trims, as well) are a little bit too "wannabe", if not mixed with proper performance.
However, as said in one of the posts above, I do respect the owner's privilege to customize its e46, no matter his or her preferences.

Going back to other mods, how popular are corona rings on US e46s? In Romania, at least, they seem to be everywhere (although, e46 are quite obsolete here and are heading to extinction). Unfortunately, when you are used to see so many aftermarket corona rings (here, they are called angel eyes), you become really fed up with this mod.

Another strange "inter-nation" thinking exchange, if I may call it this way, is how some Europeans move on to having amber parking lights, while I have noticed, many Americans want to get rid of that feature
Probably, the same as we are fascinated by American cars and viceversa...

P.S: I do not have amber parking lights, my photo was taken with my hazard lights on and it was a coincidence But, I admit I generally like amber parking lights in cars and I find them more visible than the EU "candle light".

Last edited by B78SYX; 04-07-2014 at 03:02 PM. Reason: p.s.
B78SYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #9
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:

Can someone translate this to English? Thanks.

People should mod their cars however they want. Posing isn't welcomed, but if it makes you happy then go for it. Just don't expect everyone to like what you do with your car and don't get butthurt when you receive negative feedback when you post it on a public forum.

Last edited by choxor; 04-07-2014 at 03:08 PM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Take the big cliche things that people do, then do them much more subtly. Tada, your car now looks cool!
Well said.

Quote:

^ This is the type of guy with red angel eyes and a muffler delete.

I'm a fan of the clean look. Nothing flashy on the exterior, just kill the wheel gaps. I just got 35% tint and I already regret it at times. Angel eyes lasted about a week, those are about to go.

Last edited by Sedan Hussein; 04-07-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Sedan Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #11
bee-em-dougle-u

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan Hussein View Post
Well said.

I'm a fan of the clean look. Nothing flashy on the exterior, just kill the wheel gaps. I just got 35% tint and I already regret it at times. Angel eyes lasted about a week, those are about to go.
Me too. Wheels, moderate lowering, tighter suspension, no tint, fresh headlight lenses, Borla exhaust. Grown-up mods (or non-mods) that accentuate what BMW has done.

2002 BMW 325i sedan
Manual gearbox, but of course!
Tasteful mods
128K miles and counting
bee-em-dougle-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #12
erickonphoenix

My Ride: 2004 325i Touring
I'm going to chime in here and say I think any "badging" runs the risk of being tacky. In fact I like it when M owners strip their M badging off. I'm not even a fan of personalized plates.
erickonphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #13
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Let's just agree OP should never use the word 'kitschy' ever again.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #14
bee-em-dougle-u

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Let's just agree OP should never use the word 'kitschy' ever again.
Agreed. And anyone using "milquetoast" will be banned immediately.

2002 BMW 325i sedan
Manual gearbox, but of course!
Tasteful mods
128K miles and counting
bee-em-dougle-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:30 PM   #15
Memlol

My Ride: 2004 330ci 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan Hussein View Post
Well said.

He's actually the type of guy with LED rear emblem and LED strips on the headlights
Memlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #16
MacFady

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by B78SYX View Post

... how popular are corona rings on US e46s...
I've actually never heard the term "Corona Eyes" until today.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #17
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B78SYX View Post
Another strange "inter-nation" thinking exchange, if I may call it this way, is how some Europeans move on to having amber parking lights, while I have noticed, many Americans want to get rid of that feature
Probably, the same as we are fascinated by American cars and viceversa...
I was recently talking to a euro member about this. His touring had clear lights and mine has amber. I want clear and he swapped out for amber. The clear lights for tourings are also massively expensive in the US because of the rarity. While us North American members love to model our cars after the European look, he also said that Europeans model their cars after the American look. It's weird to hear about people in Europe putting American plates on their cars in the same way that we put Euro plates on our cars!

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"

Old 04-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #18
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFady View Post
I've actually never heard the term "Corona Eyes" until today.
Corona Rings are actually the name that BMW have them. Angel eyes is basically slang but it caught on and fits really well with the look. Both are acceptable at this point. Just not halos. That's weird.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"

Old 04-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #19
golf_234

My Ride: E90

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #20
LittleBear

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Corona Rings are actually the name that BMW have them. Angel eyes is basically slang but it caught on and fits really well with the look.
But, but, "Angel Eyes" just sounds so...puuff.
I know I don't drive like an angel, thank you very much.

Murf

"I'm no angel, let me show you my tattoo" G. Alman