E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 05:21 PM   #21
LittleBear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brklyn. Got a Problem wit dat?
Posts: 647
My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Take the big cliche things that people do, then do them much more subtly. Tada, your car now looks cool!
This is a pretty good philosophy, but still, be careful. That being said, I'm glad I never gave into the temptation way back to paint my calipers red, or to put LEDs somewhere on the front of my car.
Now every Honda, Nissan & Toyota are doing both.

Murf
__________________
"The Indian smiles, he thinks that the cowboy is his friend. The cowboy smiles, he is glad the Indian is fooled. Now he can exploit him"
LittleBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #22
David McMahon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Suffolk, UK
Posts: 1,342
My Ride: 15/Dec/98 E46 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
It's weird to hear about people in Europe putting American plates on their cars in the same way that we put Euro plates on our cars!

I'd love a set of stamped plates on my car, would make it look nice at a beach scene (imitating a nice Californian day)
__________________
David McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #23
Stickbuilder
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nashville TN/Central FL.
Posts: 1,388
My Ride: Touring, and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLG600 View Post
I don't mind the M badges if they come that way from the factory. I have 5 on my car. One on each of the Style 68 wheels and one on the M steering wheel I installed.



Regarding other exterior elements, it's common to see M3 and CSL replica bumpers on these cars. Some are done right and look incredible while others you can tell someone slapped a cheap bumper cover on.



End of the day, it's your car. If a modification enhances your enjoyment then go for it.

Putting anything that has the M logo on a non M car makes you a poser. You've gone that far, so why not put on the M badging and the stick on fender vents. (snicker)


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
[/SIGPIC]I'm fluent in 3 languages:

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #24
mjpgolf1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cleveland Oh
Posts: 1,679
My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbimmpolar View Post
Im honestly never going to post a single picture on this site ever again bmw owners are boaring and to subtle. These things are beasts. mod the hell outa them blast modern cars outa the water! Grow some! clean is okay but be out there and wild neon kits, bass, huge chamber, tucked tires, air ride go nuts make a tuner thats what they are it drives fine.... you van improve it saying bmw did the research and everything is the best it can be is straight up bull s#!&. No wonder everyone assumes all bmw owners are uptight jerks. Most of them are lol. Im going balls to the walls on this car nothing you can do to stop me. I dont want someone to look at my car and be like oh neet..... I want them to say holy crsp dude how did you do that! Forget yall im doin my own thing!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Thank you for not posting pictures of whatever kind of disaster you are creating. Also what modern cars are you blasting out of the water? The new Hyundai Sonata (along with just about every other car on the road today) is faster than an e46 so I don't understand your comment here. In closing it would more than likely behoove you to go back to school and take English again. You are doing nothing but giving young people a bad name by speaking as you do and as a business owner and someone who has handled hiring and firing I would think you would have a better time starting a career or getting a good job if you can actually speak correctly.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #25
wildirish317
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,600
My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbimmpolar View Post
Im honestly never going to post a single picture on this site ever again bmw owners are boaring and to subtle. These things are beasts. mod the hell outa them blast modern cars outa the water! Grow some! clean is okay but be out there and wild neon kits, bass, huge chamber, tucked tires, air ride go nuts make a tuner thats what they are it drives fine.... you van improve it saying bmw did the research and everything is the best it can be is straight up bull s#!&. No wonder everyone assumes all bmw owners are uptight jerks. Most of them are lol. Im going balls to the walls on this car nothing you can do to stop me. I dont want someone to look at my car and be like oh neet..... I want them to say holy crsp dude how did you do that! Forget yall im doin my own thing!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
One thing is sure; when you are finished with your E46, it will be finished.
__________________


“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #26
Dante12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Melbourne VIC
Posts: 86
My Ride: 318i Steptronic
I read posts on this forum just about everyday, and when I think back on how long I have to sift through people giving an emotive opinion on what another man chooses to do with his car and hard earned money, to the point one would think its an insult, I think to myself, why the need for validation? I get it, owning a BMW makes you part of the BMW owners and that comes with some identity, which we would all like to preserve to some respectable decorum. But then to then disrespect the next man and call him names for what he chooses to do with HIS car and HIS money, is a step too far. Sure, its a forum so once someone posts, they are opening the floor for opinions, but what happened to respect? So you do not like what the next guy is doing, it isn't a crime, no need to act like he is doing it to your mother. Look at such responses, all it takes is for one person to get all emotional kicking and screaming about "destroying a perfectly good car", then the sheep flock on to echo the same sentiments and it snow balls from there. All a lame attempt at validation either way. There are members here who outright disapprove of a mod yet still maintain the respect. Can't we all be civil and make the forum a constructive place? Anyway, just my two cents, OP, its your car, your money, your reputation. Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one, each one is just the same as the next one. Live your life, and let the next person live theirs.
__________________


DANTE12

2002 BMW E46 318i - Orient Blue - Beige Leather - M3 Sports Steering with Paddle Shifts - Android 4.04 Infortainment system - 1200W Alpine D Sub 12" - M3 Front bar - 19" Custom Painted Breyton Magic ET38 8.5J - Projector Headlights & Angel Eyes - LED DRLs in Foglight Ports

2000 BMW E46 318i - Silver - Written off

2000 BMW E46 318i - Bergundy - Sold
Dante12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #27
Bafffyyy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 627
My Ride: is Estoril Blue!
Send a message via Skype™ to Bafffyyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante12 View Post
I read posts on this forum just about everyday, and when I think back on how long I have to sift through people giving an emotive opinion on what another man chooses to do with his car and hard earned money, to the point one would think its an insult, I think to myself, why the need for validation? I get it, owning a BMW makes you part of the BMW owners and that comes with some identity, which we would all like to preserve to some respectable decorum. But then to then disrespect the next man and call him names for what he chooses to do with HIS car and HIS money, is a step too far. Sure, its a forum so once someone posts, they are opening the floor for opinions, but what happened to respect? So you do not like what the next guy is doing, it isn't a crime, no need to act like he is doing it to your mother. Look at such responses, all it takes is for one person to get all emotional kicking and screaming about "destroying a perfectly good car", then the sheep flock on to echo the same sentiments and it snow balls from there. All a lame attempt at validation either way. There are members here who outright disapprove of a mod yet still maintain the respect. Can't we all be civil and make the forum a constructive place? Anyway, just my two cents, OP, its your car, your money, your reputation. Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one, each one is just the same as the next one. Live your life, and let the next person live theirs.
I like you.

As for the M-badging comment above; my Style 68's came with M-Badges from the factory, since the car had an MSport package. Same with the steering wheel. However, it did have exterior m-badging on the front grill and trunk from the PO, both of which I have either removed or intend to remove.

While I agree that non-M3 cars shouldn't be badged M3 in any regards, I don't see anything wrong with M alone. Each to his own, but I do intend to put the German flagged M on the trunk.
__________________

'03 325i Individual
See my progress thread!
Bafffyyy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #28
Dante12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Melbourne VIC
Posts: 86
My Ride: 318i Steptronic
^
__________________


DANTE12

2002 BMW E46 318i - Orient Blue - Beige Leather - M3 Sports Steering with Paddle Shifts - Android 4.04 Infortainment system - 1200W Alpine D Sub 12" - M3 Front bar - 19" Custom Painted Breyton Magic ET38 8.5J - Projector Headlights & Angel Eyes - LED DRLs in Foglight Ports

2000 BMW E46 318i - Silver - Written off

2000 BMW E46 318i - Bergundy - Sold
Dante12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #29
mjpgolf1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cleveland Oh
Posts: 1,679
My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante12 View Post
I read posts on this forum just about everyday, and when I think back on how long I have to sift through people giving an emotive opinion on what another man chooses to do with his car and hard earned money, to the point one would think its an insult, I think to myself, why the need for validation? I get it, owning a BMW makes you part of the BMW owners and that comes with some identity, which we would all like to preserve to some respectable decorum. But then to then disrespect the next man and call him names for what he chooses to do with HIS car and HIS money, is a step too far. Sure, its a forum so once someone posts, they are opening the floor for opinions, but what happened to respect? So you do not like what the next guy is doing, it isn't a crime, no need to act like he is doing it to your mother. Look at such responses, all it takes is for one person to get all emotional kicking and screaming about "destroying a perfectly good car", then the sheep flock on to echo the same sentiments and it snow balls from there. All a lame attempt at validation either way. There are members here who outright disapprove of a mod yet still maintain the respect. Can't we all be civil and make the forum a constructive place? Anyway, just my two cents, OP, its your car, your money, your reputation. Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one, each one is just the same as the next one. Live your life, and let the next person live theirs.

This forum will always have its problems and its because there is too big of a difference in people and their lifestyles on here. You have high income people all the way down to low income people and most of the time that's a recipe for disaster. Its like opening a high end restaurant and after being open for 5 years they put a $5 peanut butter and jelly sandwich on the menu right next to the $50 hunk of Kobe beef. You are going to have a very different clientele start to come in and of course the guys that became locals at that fine establishment are not going to take kindly to the new type of customer that their restaurant is attracting and if the food wasn't so damn good they would go elsewhere.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:28 PM   #30
HLG600
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NNJ
Posts: 1,668
My Ride: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbuilder View Post
Putting anything that has the M logo on a non M car makes you a poser. You've gone that far, so why not put on the M badging and the stick on fender vents. (snicker)
Style 68 Wheels - Factory 330i/Ci Sport Package



M Steering Wheel - Factory Sport Package E39, Standard E46 M3



Try to have at least some knowledge on the subject before attempting an insult.
HLG600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:34 PM   #31
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian
 
Marshmallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Joisey, Mid MI
Posts: 2,004
My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLG600 View Post
Style 68 Wheels - Factory 330i/Ci Sport Package

Try to have at least some knowledge on the subject before attempting an insult.
Seriously. Why does anyone actually care if there is a 1 cm wide letter M written on wheels and the steering wheel?
__________________


2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:50 PM   #32
Stickbuilder
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nashville TN/Central FL.
Posts: 1,388
My Ride: Touring, and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLG600 View Post
Style 68 Wheels - Factory 330i/Ci Sport Package







M Steering Wheel - Factory Sport Package E39, Standard E46 M3







Try to have at least some knowledge on the subject before attempting an insult.

Go back and read what I posted again. I said putting M items on, not what came on your sled.

As to the knowledge attempted insult sonny, I've probably owned more BMW automobiles than have you, and I'll guarantee that I've bought more new ones than have you. F.O.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
[/SIGPIC]I'm fluent in 3 languages:

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:59 PM   #33
Bafffyyy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 627
My Ride: is Estoril Blue!
Send a message via Skype™ to Bafffyyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbuilder View Post
Go back and read what I posted again. I said putting M items on, not what came on your sled.

As to the knowledge attempted insult sonny, I've probably owned more BMW automobiles than have you, and I'll guarantee that I've bought more new ones than have you. F.O.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Actually with your choice of wording that came before what HLG600 said, it's very easily interpreted that anything with M-badging on it (inc. wheels etc.) is what you meant. I also don't see why bringing up the possibility of you owning more BMWs than him/her brings any relevance to anything. It doesn't give you any sort of high ground to 'attack' another person's opinion at all.
__________________

'03 325i Individual
See my progress thread!

Last edited by Bafffyyy; 04-07-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Bafffyyy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:06 AM   #34
Dante12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Melbourne VIC
Posts: 86
My Ride: 318i Steptronic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
This forum will always have its problems and its because there is too big of a difference in people and their lifestyles on here. You have high income people all the way down to low income people and most of the time that's a recipe for disaster. Its like opening a high end restaurant and after being open for 5 years they put a $5 peanut butter and jelly sandwich on the menu right next to the $50 hunk of Kobe beef. You are going to have a very different clientele start to come in and of course the guys that became locals at that fine establishment are not going to take kindly to the new type of customer that their restaurant is attracting and if the food wasn't so damn good they would go elsewhere.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Well said, though the restaurant would be a dip in standard to serve a $5 sandwich, whereas here, it is different people acquiring decent cars. I do get the analogy though and quite right, its about different lifestyles. Which is what I was saying, its an opinion. If a young teenager having a 1999 316i and putting mods on that one would call tacky offends the refined tastes of the aristocratic, then maybe the question is not so much why the teenager has an E46 but why the so called aristocrats aren't in Bentley's, Bugattis and Ferraris where there is no risk of demeaning their sensitive prestigious egos. No wait, I lied, Deadmau5 is a millionaire who thinks its cool to wrap a $400, 000 car in light blue cartoon wrap. So even then, no one can control what the next person does with their money or car, so really the countless hate responses on this forum is just people having no respect for the next person.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	o-DEADMAU5-PURRARI-facebook.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	553136  
__________________


DANTE12

2002 BMW E46 318i - Orient Blue - Beige Leather - M3 Sports Steering with Paddle Shifts - Android 4.04 Infortainment system - 1200W Alpine D Sub 12" - M3 Front bar - 19" Custom Painted Breyton Magic ET38 8.5J - Projector Headlights & Angel Eyes - LED DRLs in Foglight Ports

2000 BMW E46 318i - Silver - Written off

2000 BMW E46 318i - Bergundy - Sold
Dante12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:20 AM   #35
HLG600
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NNJ
Posts: 1,668
My Ride: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbuilder View Post
Go back and read what I posted again. I said putting M items on, not what came on your sled.

As to the knowledge attempted insult sonny, I've probably owned more BMW automobiles than have you, and I'll guarantee that I've bought more new ones than have you. F.O.
Still oblivious and easily rustled. Ironically, nothing on my car came from an M, including the steering wheel. One would think that in your vast ownership of BMW's you would pick up on some of the basics, considering that "M" parts have been included in factory packages for some time.

Point being, if one adds these same parts down the road, that doesn't make them a poser and is certainly not comparable to sticking an "M badge on the trunk or gluing on side vents" as you likened them to.

Simple logic, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bafffyyy View Post
Actually with your choice of wording that came before what HLG600 said, it's very easily interpreted that anything with M-badging on it (inc. wheels etc.) is what you meant. I also don't see why bringing up the possibility of you owning more BMWs than him/her brings any relevance to anything. It doesn't give you any sort of high ground to 'attack' another person's opinion at all.
Some people try too hard to come off as purists. It's always a good source of amusement.

Last edited by HLG600; 04-08-2014 at 12:33 AM.
HLG600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:27 AM   #36
Dante12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Melbourne VIC
Posts: 86
My Ride: 318i Steptronic
This ^

If it was "E46Purists.com", I could understand the indignation. A fanatic is by definition a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, especially for an extreme religious or political cause. So really, the guys who push the envelope, albeit sometimes too far, are actually the definition of fanatics. While those who color between the lines and take offence at something that really has nothing to do with them, well, not so much...
__________________


DANTE12

2002 BMW E46 318i - Orient Blue - Beige Leather - M3 Sports Steering with Paddle Shifts - Android 4.04 Infortainment system - 1200W Alpine D Sub 12" - M3 Front bar - 19" Custom Painted Breyton Magic ET38 8.5J - Projector Headlights & Angel Eyes - LED DRLs in Foglight Ports

2000 BMW E46 318i - Silver - Written off

2000 BMW E46 318i - Bergundy - Sold
Dante12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:39 AM   #37
generalvp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 236
My Ride: 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbuilder View Post
Go back and read what I posted again. I said putting M items on, not what came on your sled.

As to the knowledge attempted insult sonny, I've probably owned more BMW automobiles than have you, and I'll guarantee that I've bought more new ones than have you. F.O.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

I've only owned 2 BMWs throughout my life and I know what came from the factory and what doesn't. If it came from the factory, I'm okay with it and considered it not posing. I guess the many many BMWs you've owned didn't help shed any light on what is from the factory or not, didn't it? and don't tell me that none of your many BMWs didn't have any M badges that were not on an M car.
generalvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:39 AM   #38
Dante12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Melbourne VIC
Posts: 86
My Ride: 318i Steptronic
All of a sudden, I wonder if I am stupid too because I get what HLG600 is saying, and his response was factual, M performance parts aren't limited to factory Ms by BMW. I don't get your point though...

And about adding the M bits, that why they are called options. If BMW makes the parts and they are available as options on your chassis, then when they do get bolted on is immaterial to the fact. That's like saying if your car came with stock steel wheels and hubcaps off the factory line, then buying OEM Style 68 or any wheel for that matter, or installing a Dynavin after the fact makes you a poser.

Again, his car. his money, calling any one names regardless of how many BMWs you have had doesn't make your opinion anything but an opinion.
__________________


DANTE12

2002 BMW E46 318i - Orient Blue - Beige Leather - M3 Sports Steering with Paddle Shifts - Android 4.04 Infortainment system - 1200W Alpine D Sub 12" - M3 Front bar - 19" Custom Painted Breyton Magic ET38 8.5J - Projector Headlights & Angel Eyes - LED DRLs in Foglight Ports

2000 BMW E46 318i - Silver - Written off

2000 BMW E46 318i - Bergundy - Sold

Last edited by Dante12; 04-08-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Dante12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:43 AM   #39
Bafffyyy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 627
My Ride: is Estoril Blue!
Send a message via Skype™ to Bafffyyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante12 View Post
All of a sudden, I wonder if I am stupid too because I get what HLG600 is saying, and his response was factual, M performance parts aren't limited to factory Ms by BMW. I don't get your point though...
I get his point, but I think he's too stubborn to realise the mistake in his wording is so easily misinterpreted.
__________________

'03 325i Individual
See my progress thread!

Last edited by Bafffyyy; 04-08-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Bafffyyy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:43 AM   #40
Stickbuilder
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nashville TN/Central FL.
Posts: 1,388
My Ride: Touring, and others
The fine borderline between kitschy / cliché and desirable modding

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalvp View Post
I've only owned 2 BMWs throughout my life and I know what came from the factory and what doesn't. If it came from the factory, I'm okay with it and considered it not posing. I guess the many many BMWs you've owned didn't help shed any light on what is from the factory or not, didn't it? and don't tell me that none of your many BMWs didn't have any M badges that were not on an M car.

No, not one fake M part on any that I've owned. Not do I put parts that never came on that series on mine either. My E39 came with the Corona lighting. You won't find it on my E46.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
[/SIGPIC]I'm fluent in 3 languages:

English
Sarcasm
Profanity

Last edited by Stickbuilder; 04-08-2014 at 12:45 AM.
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use