E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 01:31 AM   #61
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalvp View Post
He's trying to defend his many many BMWs that he have owned now.

You are welcome to come and see them when you visit Florida.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:59 AM   #62
helalo

My Ride: Z4 , 530i
flame stickers and multiple M badges. neons and a spoiler are bonus.

helalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #63
jsickz32

My Ride: 2002 325ci
If people are this sensitive about what the "purist" think of your car then dont join forums. Its not just bmw owner, every car forums has those guys that they dont like anything is not good enough for them and they feel they need to put you down.
I had a pizza delivery guy tell me that my angel eyes are decreasing the value of my car. I responded with "i paid 3500 for this car, what value is this you talking about?"

I guess to some people any bmw=$$$$$$$
jsickz32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #64
generalvp

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbuilder View Post
You are welcome to come and see them when you visit Florida.

If I get to drive them, I'll sure drop by when the next business trip calls me down there. What's in your stable?
generalvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #65
Swater330i

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan Hussein View Post
a muffler delete.
Wut?
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureSubie View Post
IMO, the euro clear corners looks too aftermarket/ricey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davconelectric View Post
This 323 would most likely handle and drive better than a stock e46 m3.
Swater330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #66
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
E46 Touring, E39 sedan, A6 Quattro Avant and Z06

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #67
goodmanr

My Ride: 2001 325i
I love reading these kinds of threads. I think using M parts is OK, but putting an M3 badge on a non-M car is really lame.
goodmanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:05 PM   #68
Tutankhamon

My Ride: '02 Individual 330ci
Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
I'm looking at purchasing a new 2014 335 with M performance package. That car has M badges everywhere on the body. Should I rip them all off when I get the car at risk of it being "cliche"? M badges on M performance parts are IMO fine. Someone throwing an M3 badge on a car which wasn't an M3 from the factory is where I'd draw the line.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:38 PM   #69
choxor

My Ride: JDM
People getting butthurt over the M badging. I don't see what's so confusing. My X5 has M badges all over it and It's not an X5M. Parts inspired by the M-division gets that badging. There's nothing wrong with it or retrofitting those parts. The only thing that's poser is passing the entire car off as an M-Car.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #70
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutankhamon View Post
I'm looking at purchasing a new 2014 335 with M performance package. That car has M badges everywhere on the body. Should I rip them all off when I get the car at risk of it being "cliche"? M badges on M performance parts are IMO fine. Someone throwing an M3 badge on a car which wasn't an M3 from the factory is where I'd draw the line.

This is an entirely different scenario. You are paying extra to actually buy the car from the factory with the M division performance package. There is a huge difference between this and buying an old non M 3 series for $5k and throwing a bunch of aftermarket fake M parts on it. If you're paying $50k+ for a new F30 with the M performance package you are far from a poser.

mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #71
Memlol

My Ride: 2004 330ci 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
This is an entirely different scenario. You are paying extra to actually buy the car from the factory with the M division performance package. There is a huge difference between this and buying an old non M 3 series for $5k and throwing a bunch of aftermarket fake M parts on it. If you're paying $50k+ for a new F30 with the M performance package you are far from a poser.
Didn't know my oem M parts were fake, regardless of when they were added to the car
Memlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #72
Dante12

My Ride: 318i Steptronic
The fine borderline between kitschy / cliché and desirable modding

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsickz32 View Post
If people are this sensitive about what the "purist" think of your car then dont join forums. Its not just bmw owner, every car forums has those guys that they dont like anything is not good enough for them and they feel they need to put you down.
I had a pizza delivery guy tell me that my angel eyes are decreasing the value of my car. I responded with "i paid 3500 for this car, what value is this you talking about?"

I guess to some people any bmw=$$$$$$$

Good point. But that's the thing "good enough for them" but ITS NOT THEIR CAR! Why should their opinion mean anything to the point it justifies them disrespecting the next BMW owner? It's not so much sensitivity. I said in an earlier post, on a forum you open yourself to opinions. My issue is the level of disrespect. Can't we be civil enough to disagree on taste and preference without being barbarians about it?

If BMW themselves were as indignant as some so called purists, they would lose revenue on M-performance parts they sell purely for after factory fitment. If the manufacturer themselves who own and have pride in their brand think it's ok to add on M-performance parts after the fact, what makes it ok to then act like anyone who fits into this market share is an undeserving BMW owner?

DANTE12

2002 BMW E46 318i - Orient Blue - Beige Leather - M3 Sports Steering with Paddle Shifts - Android 4.04 Infortainment system - 1200W Alpine D Sub 12" - M3 Front bar - 19" Custom Painted Breyton Magic ET38 8.5J - Projector Headlights & Angel Eyes - LED DRLs in Foglight Ports

2000 BMW E46 318i - Silver - Written off

2000 BMW E46 318i - Bergundy - Sold

Last edited by Dante12; 04-08-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Dante12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #73
mjpgolf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memlol View Post
Didn't know my oem M parts were fake, regardless of when they were added to the car

Whether they are OEM or not, if they didn't come on the car from the factory then its simply trying to make it look like its something that its not. Whether you're trying to make it look like a ZHP or an M3 or whatever.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #74
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
Whether they are OEM or not, if they didn't come on the car from the factory then its simply trying to make it look like its something that its not. Whether you're trying to make it look like a ZHP or an M3 or whatever.

You have an M3 steering wheel.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:48 PM   #75
X-310-e46-X

My Ride: e46
A tribute car "fake m3" should be as close to factory m series as possible.. like the $60k tribute yenko camaros.

just putting a badge on it leaves you wide open to critisism.. upgrading to M parts is perfectly acceptable imo.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:21 PM   #76
Dante12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post

Lol, that awkward moment

DANTE12

2002 BMW E46 318i - Orient Blue - Beige Leather - M3 Sports Steering with Paddle Shifts - Android 4.04 Infortainment system - 1200W Alpine D Sub 12" - M3 Front bar - 19" Custom Painted Breyton Magic ET38 8.5J - Projector Headlights & Angel Eyes - LED DRLs in Foglight Ports

Old 04-08-2014, 09:38 PM   #77
mjpgolf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post

I do have an M steering wheel. I changed it out for function (thicker and thumb rests) and its barely a visible modification. If you read back thru this thread it was more pertaining to M bumpers, badges, etc that change the appearance of the car and make it look like something its not. A simple steering wheel that is only seen by myself being in the drivers seat is hardly trying to make the car look like an M. Behind the tinted glass its not even visible from the outside of the car. Either way I don't really care what people do to their cars. The original question was "why the hate on M add on's" and my response was more of a general reasoning as to why some people do not agree with these modifications.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:43 PM   #78
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Alright I was just checking to make sure.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:09 AM   #79
Dante12

The M bumper improves aerodynamics (marginal maybe but an improvement all the same). Paddle shift steering wheel makes driving in steptronic manual mode that much more enjoyable and effective. At the end of the day everyone makes a change to their car for a reason that makes sense to them. To then judge them and think less of them just because reasoning varies is still self righteous.

DANTE12

Old 04-09-2014, 03:11 AM   #80
Gatriel
Grüß Di'

My Ride: KL38444
I'd like to chime in here, if at all possible.

While I appreciate the stock look over aftermarket goodies, when people equip their cars with other OEM goodies I have found these modifications to be quite tasteful, and true to the OEM look.

What I find patently egregious are all the younger kids buying the e46 as a first car, and then wanting to mod these cars to the point of being unrecognizeable.

The other thing I find horrible, especially as out cars approach the bottom of their value cycle (As you are starting to see well maintained n/a e36s beginning to appreciate) is people buying a used 04 330i with 120k on the clock. Instead of asking what maintenance the car needs ASAP, the first question is "can I fit 19"'s on the car" and "can I fit this bumper on my car" or "omg angeleyes" when their cars need, badly, fluid flushes, bushings, control arms, brakes, etc., etc.,

A well maintained car is way more attractive, IMHO, than a 323i with M wheels, Recaro seats, and a M steering wheel, where the cruise control doesn't work.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote