E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
BMW323ciDriver

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323ci
2000 Bmw 323ci - Transmission Gear Noise (VIDEO)

The car makes a loud shape noise when shifting gears from park to reverse. Sometimes when driving it makes the same noise when changing gears. What could this problem noise be? And how to fix? Video Below.....

You can really hear it at :32 seconds into Video.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:05 AM   #2
BMW323ciDriver

I really need some bmw/e46 experts here...I need this fixed! What can it be? Simple as low ATF? Or bad as tranny replacment? Much appreciation for anyone that helps...Thank you
Old 04-09-2014, 03:09 AM   #3
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
What is a, "Shape noise"?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #4
BMW323ciDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbuilder View Post
What is a, "Shape noise"?

I just put sharp noise since I didn't know how to describe it. Did you see the vid? Every time I put it in gear it kinda kicks hard with like a screech grind click. Almost like the gears could be rubbing together.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
ChuckyVee

My Ride: 2000 323i
Well...that's your differential so I'd try draining and refilling the gear oil first....not the ATF.

Cheap, easy, and quick and if it turns out that it doesn't fix it you're not out a lot of time and money.

I have to say that sounds HORRIBLE! definitely metal to metal contact. Changing the gear lube can't hurt!

First Bimmer..."Miss December"...2000 323i, purchased Dec. 2013 w/82K on the clock. PM thus far...pads/rotors, belts/pulleys, complete CS overhaul, FCABs, plugs, autotranny filter change, ATF drain and fill, rear diff drain and fill. Emergency repairs...PS pump, turn signal stalk, CPS, Ignition Coil #2 cyl, electric aux fan.
ChuckyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #6
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
Check the gear lash in the differential.
Have a helper shift back and forth, reproducing the sound as you listen.

Also keep an eye out for worn differential bushings, bad CV joints and U joints.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:47 AM   #7
BMW323ciDriver

Thanks for the reply guys, I will try changing the Differential oil and while I'm at it just inspect the whole under side of that area looking for anything worn. I'll keep updates! Possibly make a better video as well.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #8
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Didn't anyone notice how much the differential was moving? Seeing as you couldn't stop moving the "camera" for more than 1 second at a time, it was hard to tell what else was moving but I did see your sway bar was moving as well - that means the subframe is moving and it could either mean your subframe bushings are shot OR you have the dreaded subframe mount problem.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
dalefj

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by lszlszx View Post
Check the gear lash in the differential.
Have a helper shift back and forth, reproducing the sound as you listen.

Also keep an eye out for worn differential bushings, bad CV joints and U joints.
I agree, from how much it looked like the differential was moving I would guess the noise is coming from one of the drivetrain supports. Best of luck and keep us updated.
dalefj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #10
BMW323ciDriver

Update and confirmed!

Well guys, looks like Cavi Mike was right on the money with this one. Subframe Damage Found!

First video below shows a much better view of the differential and the noise...and the last video shows the damage in action direct.

So now the question is How the hell do I repair this? Is it even possible?? Will driving on the damage cause further damage? I read Bmw had a lawsuit years back, but now not anymore? Am I SOL here? Please Advise. Thank You
Old 04-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #11
ChuckyVee

My Ride: 2000 323i
2000 Bmw 323ci - Transmission Gear Noise (VIDEO)

Well that sucks!

I'll let those that are more knowledgeable than me chime in on what your best options are at this point.

I feel for ya man!

First Bimmer..."Miss December"...2000 323i, purchased Dec. 2013 w/82K on the clock. PM thus far...pads/rotors, belts/pulleys, complete CS overhaul, FCABs, plugs, autotranny filter change, ATF drain and fill, rear diff drain and fill. Emergency repairs...PS pump, turn signal stalk, CPS, Ignition Coil #2 cyl, electric aux fan.

Last edited by ChuckyVee; 04-10-2014 at 05:56 PM.
ChuckyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #12
ReIntegration

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to ReIntegration
Wow, just like my buddies 328Ci.

http://www.activeautowerke.com/pdf/product99a.pdf

Either way the whole back has to come out! Everything! You need to do some welding or a Pro. My friend had a shop do it. Was expensive. I tried to talk him out of it cause it was more than what the car was worth but he wasn't trying to hear that. He loved the Sh*t out of it and paid out the ass, but it was repaired and he had the car for 4 more years with no problems.
2003 330Ci (Current - Born on 1.10.03)(Had it since new born. Delivered from Regensburg on 2.24.03)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordecai
Ready to get destroyed?

Last edited by ReIntegration; 04-11-2014 at 05:41 AM.
ReIntegration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:56 PM   #13
BMW323ciDriver

Oh man, I'm a hardcore DIY'er, but i know nothing about welding and this looks incredibly time consuming and difficult to work on. Especially if I screw up some where. And I don't want to spend more money then the car is worth...damn, looks like I don't have really any options here.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #14
NorCalZman

My Ride: 05 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT
Wow. Bummer. Another one bites the dust. I have seen threads with much worse damage get repaired so it is possible. It'll just cost you a few thousand. Where in Cali are you located?
Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge mod
NorCalZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:25 PM   #15
BMW323ciDriver

I live in the bay area. Union City to be exact.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #16
NorCalZman

My Ride: 05 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT
Give Performance Technic a call in Pleasanton. They've done two of these repairs/retrofits to friends of mine (M3's). Maybe they can save your car.
Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge mod
NorCalZman is offline   Reply With Quote