E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
EvolutionVIII

My Ride: 330i
2001 330i doesn't start...has full power but no cranking

Car has power when ignition is turned on but when I go to start it I here one click as if the battery is dead. Battery is only a few months old. Checked it worh a multi meter and with ignition turned on it's at 12.4-12.5 and drops down to 12.2 with headlights on. Shouldn't this still be enough to turn the car over. Seen a few videos with people asking about voltage issues and there're cars started wrk even 12.0 volts. What could the next thing be to check. The clutch safety switch? Maybe key battery is bad but it unlocks and locks from a good distance. Or the starter ? Anyone have a good step by step procedure to check.

Just took this video. Shows the clicking noise I get when I go to start it. And when I let off clutch and press clutch numberous times while holding key in start position, you can here the click from engine bay. Does this mean my clutch safety switch is good and the starter is bad?

Last edited by EvolutionVIII; 04-09-2014 at 07:25 PM.
EvolutionVIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
EvolutionVIII

Just tried to jump start it with a friend. Voltage was 13.7 and it still would not crank. Just one single click. Popped the hood and the noise is coming from drive side area. In leaning towards a starter. But what the best way to test for it. And also how can I test the saftey switch and key.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
Patrick- BMWPartsSource
Internet Sales

My Ride: n/a
Check the safety neutral switch on the transmission as the computer thinks it is in gear. if it is a manual transmission,the clutch interlock could be bad.put the car in neutral if it is an automatic and try it....still no? crank it over and have someone bang on the starter.it is on top of the transmission on the drivers side.the starter could have a dead spot

Scott

BMWPartssource.com
Patrick- BMWPartsSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #4
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
you can get your battery load tested by an autozone but it's most likely starter

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
EvolutionVIII

It's stick shift. And I tested the battery cause I bought it from autozone and brought it back. It was good. Is the starter easy to get to so I can hit it.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #6
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
no

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #7
EvolutionVIII

When I hold key in crank position and keep pressing the clutch pedal I hear the clicking everytime clutch is depressed. Is that the starter not turning over?
Old 04-09-2014, 08:19 PM   #8
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
Yes, either it's stuck, or voltage is low at the starter due to a bad connection.
Next step is to trouble shoot the starter.
Info is in my No start thread.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:39 AM   #9
EvolutionVIII

I read that and saved it as a bookmark. Is there anyway to check the key. I only have one key.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:28 AM   #10
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
Yes, by scanning with a BMW scanner. When the anti theft system is activated, power is cut off, but anything is possible.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:59 AM   #11
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Car won't make any clicks if the EWS is at fault.

Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:31 PM   #12
EvolutionVIII

Yea this clicks everytime I press clutch. Gonna try and pop start it and see if it goes
Old 04-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #13
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionVIII View Post
I read that and saved it as a bookmark. Is there anyway to check the key. I only have one key.
From the video and the fact that you hear a click when you press the clutch I would say that the key is good, no EWS problem. The problem does sound like the starter, but, make sure you have 12V at the terminal under the hood. There is a tiny chance the BST (battery safety terminal) is bad and power is not getting from the battery to the starter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
Car won't make any clicks if the EWS is at fault.
Correct and you won't get the key left in the ignition beep when the key is in the ignition in the off position and the door is open.

Last edited by scottjoh; 04-10-2014 at 09:50 PM.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:43 AM   #14
EvolutionVIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post
From the video and the fact that you hear a click when you press the clutch I would say that the key is good, no EWS problem. The problem does sound like the starter, but, make sure you have 12V at the terminal under the hood. There is a tiny chance the BST (battery safety terminal) is bad and power is not getting from the battery to the starter.

Correct and you won't get the key left in the ignition beep when the key is in the ignition in the off position and the door is open.
Thanks. Gonna check for power at the starter tomorow morning before I swap out the starter with a new one.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:18 PM   #15
EvolutionVIII

Replaced starter today and it started right up. I took off the intake manifold to get to the starter. Seemed a lot easier than laying on the floor and trying to do it blind from underneath. Had to use a 1/4 flex head ratchet with a 1/4 to 3/8
Adapter for the E12 torx socket. Everyone said its a E13 but my set didn't have one and all my buddy's sets also didn't. But the 12 fit right on. After getting those two bolts out and new starter in, it was pretty much a breeze to finish. Took about 4 hours total work time with changing oil and filter too. I wouldn't recommend this job to somebody that hasn't had real experience with working on engines. Just because you can do a starter in a civic doesn't mean this is the same. There is a lot more involved. Hope I don't have to do another one of these. Thanks to everyone who replied and gave me some input.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #16
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick- BMWPartsSource View Post
Check the safety neutral switch on the transmission as the computer thinks it is in gear. if it is a manual transmission,the clutch interlock could be bad.put the car in neutral if it is an automatic and try it....still no? crank it over and have someone bang on the starter.it is on top of the transmission on the drivers side.the starter could have a dead spot

Scott
Thje NSS should prevent the click. f the car thinks it's not in P or N, it should disable the starter because there is no reason to fire the starter if it isn't allowed to spin. For that matter, the same circuit that causes the starter to spin is the one that makes the gear of the starter get thrown into the flywheel.

You can confirm the NSS is not the problem by selecting a gear position that is not P or N, then turning the key. Nothing happens, which indicates the NSS is working right.

The OP is describing a starter issue.

If there was no click from the area he describes, then his issue would most likely be the key or the ignition switch -- the symptoms of the key and the ignition switch not having a successful handshake is identical to having the gear selector off of P or N. Since he describes a click, then he's got trouble with the starter.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #17
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionVIII View Post
Replaced starter today and it started right up. I took off the intake manifold to get to the starter. Seemed a lot easier than laying on the floor and trying to do it blind from underneath. Had to use a 1/4 flex head ratchet with a 1/4 to 3/8
Adapter for the E12 torx socket. Everyone said its a E13 but my set didn't have one and all my buddy's sets also didn't. But the 12 fit right on. After getting those two bolts out and new starter in, it was pretty much a breeze to finish. Took about 4 hours total work time with changing oil and filter too. I wouldn't recommend this job to somebody that hasn't had real experience with working on engines. Just because you can do a starter in a civic doesn't mean this is the same. There is a lot more involved. Hope I don't have to do another one of these. Thanks to everyone who replied and gave me some input.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE IN THE NEAR FUTURE with the engine running lean, you need to revisit the job-site you were in today and look at the various hoses and ducts for breaks. If you have any breaks, then you will be letting in unmetered air -- air that has not gone through the MAF -- and this will cause the engine to report lean, P0171 & P0174. The ducts that connect to the intake manifold are brittle and do not like you playing around in the area where they live.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:57 AM   #18
EvolutionVIII

You should read the post before you answer. Car isn't even an automatic. It's a manual And it was the starter I replaced it and it's good.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:58 AM   #19
EvolutionVIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE IN THE NEAR FUTURE with the engine running lean, you need to revisit the job-site you were in today and look at the various hoses and ducts for breaks. If you have any breaks, then you will be letting in unmetered air -- air that has not gone through the MAF -- and this will cause the engine to report lean, P0171 & P0174. The ducts that connect to the intake manifold are brittle and do not like you playing around in the area where they live.
I replaced every vacumm line in the car while the intake was off. I'm a certified mechanic and know what I am doing. Thanks for the info though.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:16 AM   #20
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Change your fin sig or Tim will

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote