E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #1
ISPPerformance

My Ride: 99 323i
Aftermarket Head Unit Install, didn't go well.

Since I bought my 02 M3 with HK no Nav the stereo sound quality has been awful. The tuner sounds horrific, static and voices bass breaking up at low volumes, CD Player is a lot better but still sounds terrible. I assumed that the issue was the head unit, and it had a broken power button anyway, so I just installed a new Alpine unit today. Wired it up plugged it in, and wow, its even worse than the factory unit.

Now my question is, could it be the OEM Amp that is bad? I would rather just use the Alpines power to my speakers instead of the OEM amp. Any quick way to disable the OEM Amp and move on with my life?

I did some searching but didn't see anyone with my issue, but I did see some other things on bypassing the Amp.

Whats my best solution?
ISPPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
JasonLI25t

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Bad as in you don't like it or bad as in something is clearly not working right? if it's the second one, replacing the amp would be the only possible solution that doesn't involve re-wiring. However many people add aftermarket amps and subsequently rewire for new door speakers/components so that is an option as well but more costly and time consuming. I'm not sure what else could be causing the problem since you already ruled out the head unit.

The new head unit/harness is wired to send a signal to the factory amp, so if the amp isn't working, that will be a problem and even if you could disable it, i think you would essentially be disabling your sound altogether.

Last edited by JasonLI25t; 04-09-2014 at 04:27 PM.
JasonLI25t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
tkrotchko

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISPPerformance View Post

Now my question is, could it be the OEM Amp that is bad? I would rather just use the Alpines power to my speakers instead of the OEM amp. Any quick way to disable the OEM Amp and move on with my life?

Whats my best solution?
When you say "it sounds bad", do you mean distorted? Does it lack something?

Your car should have a power amp button. When you turn it off, does the sound change?
tkrotchko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #4
ISPPerformance

It definitely sounds like something is shorting out, bad board contacts, something. I am going to see if I can get my hands on another OEM amp. If that's not the problem I guess I will just start wiring it up for real.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #5
JasonLI25t

if you can wait for shipping...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARMON-KARDO...4ed420&vxp=mtr
Old 04-09-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
could be the speakers
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #7
jmillsner

My Ride: 330Ci 6 Spd, 335Cic
id replace the amp, sounds like its sending out a dirty signal
jmillsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #8
ISPPerformance

I just picked up the amp on ebay, considering it sounds so bad I am gonna say it's the amp also.

Is the amp located in the trunk or in the side panel of the back seat?
Old 04-09-2014, 08:05 PM   #9
JasonLI25t

trunk, left side
Old 04-09-2014, 09:50 PM   #10
ISPPerformance

Failed to mention it's a convertible. Is it behind the panel on the back seat driver side?
Old 04-09-2014, 09:56 PM   #11
JasonLI25t

i think the panel yes

Old 04-10-2014, 12:07 AM   #12
e46/hitman

My Ride: M3
Did you also replace the antenna with a new aftermarket one?
Old 04-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #13
caseyk3

My Ride: 323i
I replaced my system with Alpine Type-R's a 300w Alpine AMP. Total worth.

Sounds like bad wiring tbh, or your stock system is shot. Either way just buy a new amp you will be happy you did!
caseyk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #14
Slapsys

My Ride: 323Ci
I had exactly the same problem in a Dakota truck I bought. Got a new stereo: same problem. Changed the amp: same problem. New speakers,: beautiful sound.
Slapsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #15
Gatriel

My Ride: KL38444
So in college and my first masters degree I did 12 v install at CarToys and then to Best Buy and CarToys after CarToys closed.

Throwing parts at a problem can get expensive, and can get expensive quickly. Before you run off and purchase new speakers play with the fade and balance on your new head unit. See if you can get just one set of speaks to sound correct, then just the front or the rear to sound correct. What we are trying to do here is eliminate the speakers as the culprits for the distortion. If you cannot get any of the speakers to sound correct, its much more likely that (1) amp (partially) died on you than 9 speakers (I think thats how many the car has) died.

If you can get either just the front speakers or just the rear speakers to sound correct, then it could be a combination of things, however that would be pointing me to amp issues. Typically OEM amps have 3 sound processors, 1 for the front, 1 for the rear(s) and 1 for the sub. If you have a sound processor die on the amp, the "amp" part of the amp still functions, but its ability to process the (I believe the HK e46 system uses) low level inputs into high level outputs, which sounds likely based on what you've said.

However, if you can get opposing channels to sound correct (so front drivers and rear passengers) then your problem is almost certainly speaker related and the OEM amp is ok.

That being said, please purchase a steering wheel integration kit so your steering wheel controls continue to function post aftermarket unit install.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote