E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #1
oie77

My Ride: wamta
Japanese Maple Question

Ok OT arborites, I need some help.

I live in a townhouse in the city with a small patio. Smack in the middle of this patio is a large, well established Japanese maple, I think its a "crimson queen". The tree is beautiful, really just stunning. Itís like a giant bonsai- very Miyagi...

Problem is space is at a premium and frankly, the tree renders most of the already small patio useless. It has to go. I want it to go to good home as opposed to just hacking it down, but turns out there's not much of a market for these things. I put it on Craigslist, but so far, no takers.

Nobody know really wants it. Anybody ever unloaded tree? Any thoughts?

Thank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	553886   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	553887   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo3.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	553888  
oie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Stunning! I'd love to take it. It would be easier for me to just drive across town to buy one though. Best of luck finding a happy home for it.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
It's not easy to dig up a tree and especially not a well established one in the middle of the city. As sad as it is, you're probably better off cutting it down.

Beautiful tree though.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
oie77

Damn
Old 04-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
The tree adds some nice color. What about trimming it?

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
all cash
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
oie77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo View Post
The tree adds some nice color. What about trimming it?
Eh, its just that it's literally right in the middle of the patio. I'd like to have a more open layout with pavers in the center and a border of plants around the sides.

Its a beautiful tree and we really love just looking at it from the living room, but it reduces the useful space of the patio in half.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
You can dig that up and save it for sure. Get some advice for digging it out and put it on craigslist.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Judging by your picture, there are a lot of other things at hand here that is making your patio space unusable other than the tree. Move those hostas under the tree and use the outside space. What about putting some grass under it to sit under the tree?

There just seems to be a lot of wasted space around the tree so maybe rather than cut it down, use what you have efficiently.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 04-17-2014 at 11:58 AM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #9
oie77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Judging by your picture, there are a lot of other things at hand here that is making your patio space unusable other than the tree. Move those hostas under the tree and use the outside space. What about putting some grass under it to sit under the tree?

There just seems to be a lot of wasted space around the tree so maybe rather than cut it down, use what you have efficiently.
True, there is some waisted space, pretty much all the space you see in the pic, but the biggest prob is the large footprint of the tree.

Even if we were to make 100% use of the are outside of the tree's footprint, we'd still be looking at about having about 35-40% of the sqft of the patio nearly unusable. I have a landscaper coming to take a look today to see what can be done. I'll keep you posted the fate of the crimson queen...
Old 06-30-2014, 08:39 AM   #10
Vinnie Vega

My Ride: 0032870Vette70Velle
I don't mean to come off abrasive, it's your patio and what not, but that tree is EPIC! you are F'in CRAZY to cut that thing down.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:06 PM   #11
sandman512

My Ride: 2005 325I
That's a beautiful Japanese maple. Call a local landscaper and they might take it off your hands. I would hate to see that tree get cut.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:09 PM   #12
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Prune it
http://www.finegardening.com/pruning-japanese-maples

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
all cash
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #13
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
I've thought about a japanese maple in our yard. Pretty trees
Old 08-15-2014, 09:10 PM   #14
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
I had a beautiful Japanese Maple in our front yard at the old house. A snow storm came and dumped 3 feet of snow one year and split the tree right down the center. I drilled two holes though the trunk, bolted it back together, put screws eyes in the two biggest branches on opposite sides and then strung picture frame wire between them. Then I coated the split with a little wound dressing and it grew up to be beautiful. The arborist that came over to trim it years later said it was worth between $7k-$8k... But to move it would cost almost as much!

Call a local landscaper and get some free work done in return for them getting the tree... I wish you lived closer... I just bought 15 acres on the river that would do this tree proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
You don't outgrow stupid.
Big Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #15
oie77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
I had a beautiful Japanese Maple in our front yard at the old house. A snow storm came and dumped 3 feet of snow one year and split the tree right down the center. I drilled two holes though the trunk, bolted it back together, put screws eyes in the two biggest branches on opposite sides and then strung picture frame wire between them. Then I coated the split with a little wound dressing and it grew up to be beautiful. The arborist that came over to trim it years later said it was worth between $7k-$8k... But to move it would cost almost as much!

Call a local landscaper and get some free work done in return for them getting the tree... I wish you lived closer... I just bought 15 acres on the river that would do this tree proud.
I've tried a bunch of local landscapers, they all say its 50/50 that the tree would survive a move. Not really worth it for them, which surprises me. Its sad, but I think the tree's days are numbered..
Old 11-17-2014, 03:52 PM   #16
Brucifer325

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
I know this thread is a bit old, but one thought would be to find a local wood worker that might be interested in using the trunk of the tree. Maybe they could carve it into something interesting with all the twists.

At least the tree wouldn't be a total waste.

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese

BMWCCA# 147961
Brucifer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #17
oie77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer325 View Post
I know this thread is a bit old, but one thought would be to find a local wood worker that might be interested in using the trunk of the tree. Maybe they could carve it into something interesting with all the twists.

At least the tree wouldn't be a total waste.
Bad news for those of you who've come to love that tree, as I have. We went ahead and "removed" the tree. After much consultation, it was just too hard to save the tree, given the size of the root ball. Sad day I know, but the new patio is so much more functional for us. The space has been doubled and come the spring, I'll be putting some serious time and effort into plants/trees in the remaining soil. See project below. The end result blends much more than the photos suggest. I was pleasantly surprised:

photo photo2_zps4c2ee9d0.jpg

photo IMG_1758_zps5bc80713.jpg

photo IMG_1761_zpsf6217c14.jpg

photo IMG_1762_zps85cb8588.jpg

photo IMG_1787_zps9fbddfbc.jpg

photo IMG_1818_zps5589cba4.jpg