E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > Site Feedback/Questions/Suggestions

Site Feedback/Questions/Suggestions
Do you have feedback/questions/ideas/suggestions about the site? Post them here.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:38 PM   #1
Sean_Cassidy

My Ride: 330xi
Question About a Suspicious PM I Received

Hello all,

Basically, I have a post up here looking to purchase various parts for my alpine white e46 and I received a private message from the user "raybill" saying that I should contact a guy in Liverpool, England named David about purchasing these parts.

The user "raybill" has no posts so I find it suspicious that he would be on here at all with the knowledge of someone overseas. Furthermore, this David guy won't accept a money transfer aside from 'Moneygram' - which doesn't allow you to refute a payment once you've sent it.

Reading how this played out to myself while typing all of this out seems as if it's a scam, but I would expect this more on Craigslist than any BMW forum.

My question: has anyone here purchased parts off this guy or received a PM about a similar situation in where there's a seller overseas who has parts?

Thanks to anyone that replies.

- Sean
Sean_Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
tommy d

My Ride: 2005 330i
I wouldn't proceed any further. I'm sure you can find your parts elsewhere.
tommy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
jmillsner

My Ride: 330Ci 6 Spd, 335Cic
sounds sketchy to me
jmillsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
How old are you? Do you realize that you can purchase the bumper you want here in the good ole USA and have it painted for less money than shipping one from England?

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
JasonLI25t

My Ride: 2000 323ci
this sounds more like a public service announcement than a question of if he should proceed with the deal, not sure why so harsh.

certainly seems like a scam to me.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Report it.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:55 PM   #7
wildirish317

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonLI25t View Post
not sure why so harsh.

certainly seems like a scam to me.
Not meaning to be harsh, just wondering about the age, since this seems like a young person's question. The whole things sends alarm bells to me.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:00 PM   #8
Sean_Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
How old are you? Do you realize that you can purchase the bumper you want here in the good ole USA and have it painted for less money than shipping one from England?
I'm 22 years old. I don't think the question is reflective of my age, and I was given a flat rate of how much it would cost shipped ($560) by 'David' so I wouldn't know the pricing on shipping alone.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:00 PM   #9
Sean_Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
Report it.
How do I got about that?
Old 04-17-2014, 09:02 PM   #10
Sean_Cassidy

To everyone else, thanks for the input. I'm not sure how big of an international community we have here on this forum as I've only been in the e46 game for a couple of months now, which is why I thought I would ask.

I'll just go elsewhere for parts.

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2014, 09:19 PM   #11
wildirish317

Sorry, didn't mean to be condensending. My youngest daughter is one year younger than you. Hopefully, that gives you an idea of my perspective. Imagine asking your dad this question.

You were suspicious, as you should be, and you came here for a sounding board, which was a good move. $560 is a tempting price. High enought to be legit, and low enough to beat anything else you might find.

Quote:
Old 04-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #12
Saintluk2

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
I've never been unable to find a part I need on ebay or Autohauz, ECStuning, or FCP Euro. Trusted sources.
Saintluk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #13
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
sorry for being off topic. OP do you autocross? i see you're in chicago
Old 04-18-2014, 08:58 AM   #14
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
sorry for being off topic. Op do you autocross? I see you're in chicago
lmao
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #15
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
lmao

I'm always looking for a car buddy that's local. Lol
Old 04-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #16
Sean_Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to be condensending. My youngest daughter is one year younger than you. Hopefully, that gives you an idea of my perspective. Imagine asking your dad this question.

You were suspicious, as you should be, and you came here for a sounding board, which was a good move. $560 is a tempting price. High enought to be legit, and low enough to beat anything else you might find.
No I understand. I didn't mean to come off offended haha, I know how you old timers are That's why I thought I would ask, it was pretty tempting IMO, but unfortunately it seems as though it will not happen.

Thanks for taking the time to let me know though!
Old 04-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #17
Sean_Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintluk2 View Post
I've never been unable to find a part I need on ebay or Autohauz, ECStuning, or FCP Euro. Trusted sources.
True, I would like to know however how these parts fare against OEM parts in terms of fitment and looks. I haven't had the opportunity to get them side by side to compare.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #18
Sean_Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
sorry for being off topic. OP do you autocross? i see you're in chicago
Haha, no I haven't yet but I have fullest intentions to do so quite soon. I have an e30 that I'll probably be tracking once I get the suspension a little more buttoned up. If you know of any events let me know, or if you're in the area shoot me a message, I'm always down to meet some locals!
Old 04-21-2014, 03:39 AM   #19
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_Cassidy View Post
How do I got about that?
Open the PM and in the top right click on

and follow the prompts.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote