E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
raichean

My Ride: 2004 e46 M3 cabrio
Avin Avant-2 DIY install guide

I wanted to thank Tommy of Avin for all of the help and information as I have worked with him to get the new Avant-2 installed into my M3 Convertible.

I am truly impressed with the quality of workmanship, the better than OEM looks and the functionality of the unit itself! I am not entirely sure Tommy sleeps considering how responsive he has been in working with me.

Feel free to use the DIY install guide and I welcome any feedback or information moving forward. The guide is replacement of OEM single DIN "business CD" unit and relocation of the HVAC controls. Obviously there are a million variations depending on your setup, speakers and options and dash configuration, but this will likely cover all OEM single DIN, and OEM Nav unit installations.

**update - the backup camera install is done and posted.

Any questions let me know and I very much look forward to continuing to work with Tommy about this unit, and anyone here that has questions.

Don't hesitate to give me a shout.

Last edited by raichean; 05-07-2014 at 04:53 PM.
raichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
raichean

*** placeholder for updates, feature info, and backup camera install ***

3G USB Modem - update and review:
https://avinusa.com/3g-internet-usb-...sd-reader.html

I have included this optional upgrade along with my Avant-2 deck, as while I can always chain off of my phone, I would like to have the deck be self sufficient for data at all times.

Install:
The install of the modem is to the permanent USB port from the rear of the deck, secured by double sided tape to the top of the Avant-2.
I have found that I have ZERO signal strength problems having the modem installed inside of the dash and fully hidden. Going for the smooth (better than OEM) look, this is the way to go.

Carrier info:
I am in the PacNW and an AT&T customer, so am using a 3G SIM from ATT for service.

Long story short, it took me over 2+ hours on the phone with their tier 2 tech support to finally get the account for the modem switched to 3G from the 2G initial configuration.

At this stage, I am continuing to work with ATT, as my data rate is roughly 15-25% of what 3G should be even though I have full signal. Updates as I have more information.

** update 7-2014: Tommy shipped me a new modem thinking maybe the one I had was bad, but the new one doesn't work at all either. Personally I am 99.99999% sure that this is ATT unable to actually provision the device properly. I have spent 4+ hours on the phone with them, they change 20 things, it coughs and sputters and then they blame the device, or the deck or me. *REALLY* pissed off by this. I wish the ATT 4g USB modem worked with android, but it doesn't. At this point, I just use internet sharing off of my Nokia 1020 and wifi.

Torque ODBC module - review
https://avinusa.com/torque-compatibl...bd2-black.html

The module is installed in the ODBC port below and to the left of the steering wheel. I did remove the cover from the hinges though as it looked likely I could snag it with my foot.

As I work with this function more, I will provide updates as I have had limited time with this as of yet.

SD 32gig expansion card - review
https://avinusa.com/32gb-microsd.html

Not much to say on this one, other than why wouldn't you get this? More local storage is ALWAYS a good thing, and the cache file helps system performance as well.

In short, get it. Install into the NAV slot (right side) and it will mount on the device. Good to go.

Back up camera - install and review
https://avinusa.com/bmw-backup-rever...6-e39-e53.html

**update!** The backup camera DIY is up and linked in the start of this thread.

Front facing DVR camera install DIY
https://avinusa.com/dvr-camera-720.html

**update 7/2014 - the new front facing DVR camera install guide is ready and posted!
Favorite Apps while on the go

Quick reviews for apps that are awesome while out and about.. please throw in suggestions!

Trapster - mapping database for camped law enforcement, camera intersections, photo radar etc.. GOOD STUFF!
Pandora - Of course!
Spotify - Again, of course!
Xbox Music - if you got it, use it! (I have roughly 100gig worth of music collection using this service) Data transfer heavy app though.

Last edited by raichean; 07-08-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Nice work! Clean guide.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 04-22-2014 at 05:07 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:59 PM   #4
WanderLustMan

My Ride: 05 M3 Mystic Blue
very cool. thanks for putting this together. what backup camera are you thinking of?
WanderLustMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
raichean

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderLustMan View Post
very cool. thanks for putting this together. what backup camera are you thinking of?
Well the challenge at this point is to find one that actually FITS. It appears the trim of the Verts is significantly different, and the model of camera I did buy doesn't fit. (After even taking a dremel to some of the plastic camera molding)

So still trying to find the right model first, honestly, before any features or function. Wireless would be cool though.. not have to run cable through the whole car!
Old 04-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
raichean

Wonder if a moderator would sticky this thread to it remains available?
Old 04-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
1/2past3CI

My Ride: 2002 M3
Are you using the internal microphone or did you run an external microphone to the headliner? How is the sound quality of phone calls from both ends on Bluetooth?
Old 04-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #8
raichean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2past3CI View Post
Are you using the internal microphone or did you run an external microphone to the headliner? How is the sound quality of phone calls from both ends on Bluetooth?
Internal, as in my case I don't have that option, or easily have the option of the external microphone as I have a convertible!

Last edited by raichean; 04-23-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:00 PM   #9
skelzy

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Hey, I am trying to remove the OEM NAV and am having trouble with those two tabs on the bottom under the face of the screen. Any tricks to removing the unit? The DIY's just say to put a nail file in there until it clicks but I'm having no luck getting the unit free....

EDIT: Got it out.... This DIY was great http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=938013

Last edited by skelzy; 04-26-2014 at 12:44 AM.
skelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:10 AM   #10
raichean

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelzy View Post
Hey, I am trying to remove the OEM NAV and am having trouble with those two tabs on the bottom under the face of the screen. Any tricks to removing the unit? The DIY's just say to put a nail file in there until it clicks but I'm having no luck getting the unit free....

EDIT: Got it out.... This DIY was great http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=938013
Glad you got it! Was going to suggest an old credit or ID card, but you got it. 8)

Thanks on the DIY. 8)
Old 04-28-2014, 12:34 AM   #11
SKR7

My Ride: E46 MY04.5 SMG M3
Stefan, did you have any issues getting the unit to fit with the radio aerial 'fakra' plug fouling on the vents behind the unit? I couldn't get the unit flush without bending this plug, which I wouldn't do. So as a result am listening to internet radio only at the moment. The OEM fakra plug is located differently and doesn't foul. I've tried sourcing a right angle plug but the crimping tool is ridiculously expensive.

This is my only issue with the unit. A solid good looking piece of kit which looks as OEM as you could possibly want.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #12
raichean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKR7 View Post
Stefan, did you have any issues getting the unit to fit with the radio aerial 'fakra' plug fouling on the vents behind the unit? I couldn't get the unit flush without bending this plug, which I wouldn't do. So as a result am listening to internet radio only at the moment. The OEM fakra plug is located differently and doesn't foul. I've tried sourcing a right angle plug but the crimping tool is ridiculously expensive.

This is my only issue with the unit. A solid good looking piece of kit which looks as OEM as you could possibly want.
Well the short answer is no... but you are making me wonder. I just plugged the antenna straight in, (along with the rest) and slid the deck into place. I didn't seem to have any pressure or anything I could tell from the rear of the deck when I put it in, though it was VERY VERY snug getting fully back into place.

It makes me wonder if I hit anything but I don't THINK so, and my radio reception is fine. Really odd you are having such trouble! How can I help?
Old 04-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #13
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
skr7 has a right hand drive car.....you two cant compare installs.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 04-28-2014 at 10:56 AM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:37 PM   #14
raichean

I am really close to getting the backup camera to fit into my trim, though it has required some significant modification (trans: trimming and cutting) of the camera housing and mounting plate. I am very close to making this work and will post up shots of the modified camera if it fits securely.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:19 PM   #15
raichean

Yeah.. got this at least installed securely into the frame, so I think this is a tentative success right now, though I have to route cables and do all of the other hard work. Updates pending, but holy crap that took some effort to get it done, and I don't even know if it works yet!
Old 04-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #16
SKR7

My Ride: E46 MY04.5 SMG M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
Well the short answer is no... but you are making me wonder. I just plugged the antenna straight in, (along with the rest) and slid the deck into place. I didn't seem to have any pressure or anything I could tell from the rear of the deck when I put it in, though it was VERY VERY snug getting fully back into place.

It makes me wonder if I hit anything but I don't THINK so, and my radio reception is fine. Really odd you are having such trouble! How can I help?
Stefan, thanks very much. Your reply has helped. :-) Back to the installer I go. Clearly it can fit, just needs a bit more effort (pressure) than we applied.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:05 PM   #17
raichean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKR7 View Post
Stefan, thanks very much. Your reply has helped. :-) Back to the installer I go. Clearly it can fit, just needs a bit more effort (pressure) than we applied.
Happy to help, I would just say be careful? With the vents out, I could reach my fingers behind the deck checking for clearance and assume you can do the same. Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:20 PM   #18
raichean

**update!** the camera is in after some serious modification of the housing and then running all of the connections. I documented the whole process and will post up an supplemental DIY guide for that effort once it is done.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #19
raichean

I should have the DIY for the camera install posted in the next couple of days, and will link here. Would be nice if a mod could sticky this thread.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #20
phenom22

My Ride: 325xi
Hey man. Looking very forward to this DIY. I purchased a reverse camera but the tutorial was for the older models without the trunk grip lid so I'm hesitant to make the install.

Appreciate you taking the plunge for the rest of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
I should have the DIY for the camera install posted in the next couple of days, and will link here. Would be nice if a mod could sticky this thread.
phenom22 is offline   Reply With Quote