E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-29-2014, 09:44 AM   #81
Vinnie Vega

My Ride: 0032870Vette70Velle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Well if you can find a level 2 charging station, meaning 240v, level 1 is 120, then you can get a decent charge in a few hours, maybe enough to get you home or at least to a supercharger. There are level 2 stations all over Raleigh and from the looks of it, they're not hard to find really anywhere in the state http://www.plugshare.com/

Haha if you did that, you'd be sending a whopping 8.7hp to the front wheels. 746W/hp. We have a few servers at work pulling a couple horsepower, I love thinking about computers like that.

it's like every time you let off the gas you're getting a few seconds of 240v charging lol, it's got to extend the range.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #82
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Vega View Post
it's like every time you let off the gas you're getting a few seconds of 240v charging lol, it's got to extend the range.
yes, it does. my parents have a ford focus electric (solar powered) and it has a readout for how many miles you have generated from braking. pretty cool. im sure the tesla has a readout like that as well.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:41 AM   #83
BoogetyBoogety

My Ride: 2010 SL550
This is good for a few laughs... Even though it's a month late for April Fools. Check out the paranoia just dripping from this anonymous flyer left on SF Teslas. Tesla drivers have no morals!

http://investorplace.com/2014/05/tsl.../#.U2OCsfldWLJ

BoogetyBoogety is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:31 AM   #84
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
yes, it does. my parents have a ford focus electric (solar powered) and it has a readout for how many miles you have generated from braking. pretty cool. im sure the tesla has a readout like that as well.
It has a little graph that shows battery life. It goes down when you accelerate and up when you charge or decelerate.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:45 AM   #85
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
The sustainable future is Hydrogen and Nuclear. For everything, not just automobiles.

This electric BS is just a phase which displaces the pollution, and creates a new consumer society.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:29 AM   #86
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
The sustainable future is Hydrogen and Nuclear. For everything, not just automobiles.

This electric BS is just a phase which displaces the pollution, and creates a new consumer society.
I do agree with that sentiment. I think people often forget that electric cars don't generate their own electricity, just carry the energy generated elsewhere. It's not doing anyone any good if the energy source used to produce the electricity is some unsustainable nonsense. I say use the highest energy density fuel source on the mobile platforms where weight is critical. Save the heavy stuff for the sedentary energy plants.

Seems so silly to cut hydrocarbon consumption at the one place where it actually makes the most sense.. replace millions of cars with mildly more efficient ones, or solve the problem entirely with a few thousand renewable energy facilities.

All that said, I do like the simplicity in design of these electric cars. It's hard to justify going IC when the day comes where batteries surpass their exothermic chemical cousins.

Oh and hydrogen? wot? You mean as a fuel source for nuclear fusion or?...

Last edited by k2pilot; 05-04-2014 at 02:30 AM.
k2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:46 AM   #87
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
I will probably never buy an electric car, but I am thrilled that they are getting so popular. Let the non car enthusiasts drive them to work; more fuel for me.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #88
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
I will probably never buy an electric car, but I am thrilled that they are getting so popular. Let the non car enthusiasts drive them to work; more fuel for me.
You realize that the Tesla S is an enthusiast car right? Not only do you have to GAF about what you drive, it's also faster than an M5 to 60.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #89
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
You realize that the Tesla S is an enthusiast car right? Not only do you have to GAF about what you drive, it's also faster than an M5 to 60.
I'm not speaking solely about the Tesla. I'm talking about electric cars on general. And the Tesla isn't available in manual so that ruins it for me.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"

Old 05-05-2014, 09:25 AM   #90
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
I'm not speaking solely about the Tesla. I'm talking about electric cars on general. And the Tesla isn't available in manual so that ruins it for me.
As of right now there aren't any new Ferraris, Lambos, McLarens, Pagani, etc available with a manual. I bet those aren't ruined for you.

Most performance cars aren't available with a manual because the auto version is faster. If you were a real enthusiast you'd know that.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 05-05-2014 at 09:26 AM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #91
dvsntt

My Ride: 01 325xi
Quote:
The Tesla doesn't have an automatic transmission either; it's a single speed, fixed gear transmission. There are no other gears to shift to.
dvsntt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #92
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
As of right now there aren't any new Ferraris, Lambos, McLarens, Pagani, etc available with a manual. I bet those aren't ruined for you.

Most performance cars aren't available with a manual because the auto version is faster. If you were a real enthusiast you'd know that.
Faster doesn't equal better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsntt View Post
The Tesla doesn't have an automatic transmission either; it's a single speed, fixed gear transmission. There are no other gears to shift to.
If it doesn't have a clutch pedal I don't want it.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"

Old 05-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #93
dvsntt

Quote:
Faster doesn't equal better.

If it doesn't have a clutch pedal I don't want it.
You put way too much value in a pedal. Likely because you have the ability to drive a manual vehicle, which must have been one of the most successful endeavors of your life, and developed a superiority complex about it; likely thinking yourself a talented driver based on the single facet of being able to shift your own gears; (like a person who plays 2 records (OMG at the same time!) calling themselves a musician.) and without that ability (your only talent) it is emasculating to you.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #94
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Lul.

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #95
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsntt View Post
You put way too much value in a pedal. Likely because you have the ability to drive a manual vehicle, which must have been one of the most successful endeavors of your life, and developed a superiority complex about it; likely thinking yourself a talented driver based on the single facet of being able to shift your own gears; (like a person who plays 2 records (OMG at the same time!) calling themselves a musician.) and without that ability (your only talent) it is emasculating to you.
You're upset that I insulted the automatic transmission? I'm going to assume that you were going to let this one slide except for the fact that I insulted the dear E46.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"

Old 05-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #96
dvsntt

Quote:
You're upset that I insulted the automatic transmission? I'm going to assume that you were going to let this one slide except for the fact that I insulted the dear E46.
I didn't know you insulted an automatic transmission, my comment was in response to your narrow sighted view on the presence of a pedal. (which you made in retort to a vehicle that has neither a manual or automatic transmission). I realize you lack the most average of cognitive abilities, but please try to keep up with the conversation.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #97
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

I think you are just scavenging for insults and the best ammo I could give you is my preference for the manual transmission. Pathetic.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"

Old 05-05-2014, 11:13 AM   #98
dvsntt

I never scavenge for insults, I mine for them with with wit and stoic negligence from the depths of my own soul.

Last edited by dvsntt; 05-05-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:05 PM   #99
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Where did you lift that quote from?

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"

Old 05-05-2014, 12:42 PM   #100
dvsntt

From the chaotic throes of my deranged mind.

Last edited by dvsntt; 05-05-2014 at 12:43 PM.