E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #21
Mishimoto
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLZHP6M View Post
A radiator kit with a fan shroud that incorporates the stock e-fan on non-M E46 and an aluminum expansion tank would be nice!
I have a supercharged ZHP, 330i with the twinscrew setup from ESS, pushing 400HP, and luckily I haven't had any issues with the stock radiator, however I did have to replace a cracked expansion tank already. My car has 130k miles and I track the car twice a year and also run several autocross events.
Great information! Any overheating issues with the factory unit on the track, or would this mostly be a durability improvement for you?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent_ View Post
For the love of all that's good and pure in this world, yes! An aluminum radiator + expansion tank at a reasonable price point is sorely missing for us non-M owners...
Got it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMARTINW View Post
What about us the ones who bought the first version and we have overheating problems? Do we get to trade (warranty) it in for the updated one? By overheating I meant that the temp goes up past 3/4 and the car gets super sluggish even with everything new hoses and fan clutch.
We have an exchange program in place for those who purchased our previous radiator. I will send you a PM shortly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patdeezy View Post
please please make one for us non-M owners
Noted!
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #22
SeattleLSB

My Ride: 2003 330XI
I don't think it's the track use we are worried about. If you could price a aluminum unit that would limit all the problems with the cooling system such as expansion tanks exploding and other brittle plastic parts many people would choose this one an done approach. The market is much bigger in the non-m market then M.

Joe

2007 TiAG/BLK 335I Sedan/6SP/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather - Sold

2003 AW/BLK 330XI/AT/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather
SeattleLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #23
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleLSB View Post
I don't think it's the track use we are worried about. If you could price a aluminum unit that would limit all the problems with the cooling system such as expansion tanks exploding and other brittle plastic parts many people would choose this one an done approach. The market is much bigger in the non-m market then M.

Joe
But it would be a nice bonus. Maybe two radiators? One for stock drop in, the other for FI/Track use.

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:54 AM   #24
Mishimoto
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleLSB View Post

Joe
Got it Joe! Thanks for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLee View Post
But it would be a nice bonus. Maybe two radiators? One for stock drop in, the other for FI/Track use.
We actually do this for some of our intercoolers and a we are releasing a thicker version of our E36 radiator at some point in the near future. This provides a very well priced option for replacements that will outperform the factory unit as well as a more "track" oriented product.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #25
Patton323I

My Ride: R1100GS E46 E53
I would be interested in a performance radiator with the expansion tank. I'm running the Ess TS2 kit. and some extra cooling capacity would be awesome. Especially since I do track/autox my car. I really got my hopes up that you guys will come up with an awesome solution for everyone!

Last edited by Patton323I; 05-07-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Patton323I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #26
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
Agreed, an affordable radiator for non-M E46's with an integrated expansion tank would sell like hot cakes - even if it had the exact same performance as bone-stock but is more reliable. If you could make one that's in the $400-600 range, everyone would go for it. Right now the only one we can get is the Zionsville for almost $1000, and eBay ones that are unreliable and untested.

The current crowd of people simply do the following:
- Purchase new OEM plastic expansion tank doomed to fail later due to poor design
- Purchase new OEM radiator with plastic sides doomed to fail later due to poor design (and some of them don't even fit!!)

This works for people who love to spend $350-400 and a few hours of their time every time one of those fails, but many of us just want a permanent, one-time fix.

Alsooooo....do you have any E92 intercoolers and charge pipes?

Last edited by Zell; 05-07-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #27
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Agreed, an affordable radiator for non-M E46's with an integrated expansion tank would sell like hot cakes - even if it had the exact same performance as bone-stock but is more reliable. If you could make one that's in the $400-600 range, everyone would go for it. Right now the only one we can get is the Zionsville for almost $1000, and eBay ones that are unreliable and untested.

- Purchase new OEM plastic expansion tank doomed to fail later due to poor design
- Purchase new OEM radiator with plastic sides doomed to fail later due to poor design (and some of them don't even fit!!)

This works for people who love to spend $350-400 and a few hours of their time every time one of those fails, but many of us just want a permanent, one-time fix.

OEM/OE radiator about - $250.
OEM/OE expansion tank - about $80.
An integrated all aluminum radiator/expansion tank unit for $400-$600 will be a great substitution and a worthy buy for those of us who intend to keep their E46 BMWs forever, and for those looking for maximum reliability.

Frankly, the cooling capacity is not an issue. The OEM radiator has more than adequate cooling even for boosted cars on the track. It's the plastic glued to aluminum that usually fails and makes me want a better quality radiator. Likewise, the expansion tank on our cars cracks far too often and easily compared to other plastic tank designs used by BMW.
An all aluminum, direct fit product that addresses both theseissues definitely has a potential and should sell if the price is not prohibitively high.

One of the challenges in designing such product would to make it fit in both manual and automatic cars, while keeping it simple and reliable. Perhaps two separate versions?

Last edited by Megalocnus; 05-08-2014 at 02:13 AM.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:02 AM   #28
vwikit

My Ride: 318i 99
i can guarantee at least one sale for you in Australia and probably way way more because it is HOT down here and the plastic units are rubbish! i would like to see a full alloy solution including expansion tank, full shroud, slim fan and a black anodized finish for my particular project. and if you could make me some custom silicon hoses that would be great... although i fear that may be pushing the friendship just a little.
vwikit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:05 AM   #29
vwikit

My Ride: 318i 99
oh and a new power steering reservoir with a decent seal on the cap... the standard one is useless. a bolt on oil cooler option would be nice also, and I'm going to stop there before i get carried away.
vwikit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #30
Mishimoto
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton323I View Post
I would be interested in a performance radiator with the expansion tank. I'm running the Ess TS2 kit. and some extra cooling capacity would be awesome. Especially since I do track/autox my car. I really got my hopes up that you guys will come up with an awesome solution for everyone!
Got it! Essentially all of our aluminum radiators provide increased coolant capacity compared to the OEM unit. We also cater our core designs to provide greater heat transfer. Basically, we make the best product we can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post

Thank you! We do have an intercooler for the E92, check it out at the link below. We saw huge gains on our test vehicle in respects to both power and intake temperature reductions.

http://www.mishimoto.com/bmw-335i-07...tercooler.html

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions!

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
An integrated all aluminum radiator/expansion tank unit for $400-$600 will be a great substitution and a worthy buy for those of us who intend to keep their E46 BMWs forever, and for those looking for maximum reliability.

Frankly, the cooling capacity is not an issue. The OEM radiator has more than adequate cooling even for boosted cars on the track. It's the plastic glued to aluminum that usually fails and makes me want a better quality radiator. Likewise, the expansion tank on our cars cracks far too often and easily compared to other plastic tank designs used by BMW.
An all aluminum, direct fit product that addresses both theseissues definitely has a potential and should sell if the price is not prohibitively high.

One of the challenges in designing such product would to make it fit in both manual and automatic cars, while keeping it simple and reliable. Perhaps two separate versions?
Great to see everyone here so enthusiastic about their vehicles. Thanks for the information and recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwikit View Post
i can guarantee at least one sale for you in Australia and probably way way more because it is HOT down here and the plastic units are rubbish! i would like to see a full alloy solution including expansion tank, full shroud, slim fan and a black anodized finish for my particular project. and if you could make me some custom silicon hoses that would be great... although i fear that may be pushing the friendship just a little.
Thanks for the recommendation! A set of silicone hoses would really complete the package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwikit View Post
oh and a new power steering reservoir with a decent seal on the cap... the standard one is useless. a bolt on oil cooler option would be nice also, and I'm going to stop there before i get carried away.
Interesting! We have an awesome line of bolt-on oil cooler kits for a variety of models. In fact, we are testing the E46 M3 prototype this week.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2014, 11:06 PM   #31
XxJeffxX

My Ride: 2002 330ci
I must say this is very impressive but as with other members on this forum it is a bummer to see yet another part that isn't for non-m owners, as being in that same boat i would love to see an aluminum radiator for non-m cars. As for what else i would like to see done, probably the biggest problem i'd love to see resolved is all the plastic components in the cooling system replaced with more reliable and sturdy metal piece with replaceable gaskets and improved coolant hoses that are able to last longer than stock components. An aluminum radiator expansion tank would be great as well, like others have stated, if you can solve the problem of the cooling system plastics on non-m cooling systems i believe you would have many new buyers and probably cornered a market that i have yet seen to be exploited, especially with the age of our cars.
XxJeffxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #32
Mishimoto
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJeffxX View Post
I must say this is very impressive but as with other members on this forum it is a bummer to see yet another part that isn't for non-m owners, as being in that same boat i would love to see an aluminum radiator for non-m cars. As for what else i would like to see done, probably the biggest problem i'd love to see resolved is all the plastic components in the cooling system replaced with more reliable and sturdy metal piece with replaceable gaskets and improved coolant hoses that are able to last longer than stock components. An aluminum radiator expansion tank would be great as well, like others have stated, if you can solve the problem of the cooling system plastics on non-m cooling systems i believe you would have many new buyers and probably cornered a market that i have yet seen to be exploited, especially with the age of our cars.
Thanks Jeff!
Old 05-09-2014, 09:51 AM   #33
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
Look it it like this.

Count how many posts in this thread are members asking about the M radiator.

Now count how many posts (in an M radiator thread) are about the non M radiator.

See what I mean? Hell if spec e46 takes off, people might be using your rads.

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.

Last edited by RockLee; 05-09-2014 at 09:53 AM.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:55 AM   #34
zacjones

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Actually the OE Behr replacement radiator is closer to $130-$140 shipped.
zacjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #35
PeteyEsco

My Ride: '02 325xiT
I'm in the process of upgrading my cooling system in my non-m E46. Although it would be nice to have this type of rad, I don't I can wait for it to be developed.
PeteyEsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #36
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacjones View Post
Actually the OE Behr replacement radiator is closer to $130-$140 shipped.
That Behr radiator is not OE.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #37
Mishimoto
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLee View Post
Look it it like this.

Count how many posts in this thread are members asking about the M radiator.

Now count how many posts (in an M radiator thread) are about the non M radiator.

See what I mean? Hell if spec e46 takes off, people might be using your rads.
Valid points here, especially with Spec E46 which I can only assume will do very well.

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #38
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Quote:
That Behr radiator is not OE.
True. The Behr radiator I bought a few years ago had the roundel imprint ground off of it...
Old 05-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #39
wertyu78

My Ride: '04 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
Any other non-M or M related products that you guys see a need for? Replacement components? Upgrading cooling components?
+1

I don't see why the non-m is still neglected. There are an equal amount of non-m owners(if not more non-m than m) seeking an aftermarket radiator solution. The E46 is only getting cheaper. Your market is becoming larger and larger.

Mishimoto can offer a performance biased solution that incorporates an overflow/expansion tank. It's obvious that there is a market for it as well! Make it happen and I will buy several.

As far as other solutions Mishimoto can offer....

-We could use silicone intake boots. AFAIK, Stett Performance is and has always been the only company to offer this for the M54B30. It appears they have dropped the ball on producing more (I've tried for over 2 years to get a set). Manufacture a 1 piece intake boot, similar to the 1 piece intake Intake boot used with the M54B30 in the X3 and X5. This will be a great solution to the continually cracking OE boots.

-Oil Catch can system that still pulls proper vacuum on the crankcase

Build Thread
wertyu78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:29 PM   #40
Mishimoto
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wertyu78 View Post
+1

I don't see why the non-m is still neglected. There are an equal amount of non-m owners(if not more non-m than m) seeking an aftermarket radiator solution. The E46 is only getting cheaper. Your market is becoming larger and larger.

Mishimoto can offer a performance biased solution that incorporates an overflow/expansion tank. It's obvious that there is a market for it as well! Make it happen and I will buy several.

As far as other solutions Mishimoto can offer....

-We could use silicone intake boots. AFAIK, Stett Performance is and has always been the only company to offer this for the M54B30. It appears they have dropped the ball on producing more (I've tried for over 2 years to get a set). Manufacture a 1 piece intake boot, similar to the 1 piece intake Intake boot used with the M54B30 in the X3 and X5. This will be a great solution to the continually cracking OE boots.

-Oil Catch can system that still pulls proper vacuum on the crankcase
Thanks for the information, another vote for the radiator/expansion tank. Silicone intake boots are a common BMW upgrade, being that the rubber units like to split at the accordion or in the bends. This would be great.

I also like the idea of a catch can system for these vehicles. We are broadening our baffled lineup and this may be a great-fit for one of our new designs.