E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
jammy87

My Ride: looking for coupe 46
Help hit limit and now emissions light on?

Hi all. I bought my first bmw 320ci last saturday.*
Got a bit excited today coming of a round about, i 3rd gear and hit the*limiter*for a split second didnt mean to just wasnt watching the revs, i filled the car up when i picked it up and have got just under 1/4 of a tank left and had no problems at all until todays miss hap !

Anyway felt a bit slow and the engine light was on "not the EML light" car runs fine no misfire or anything drives fine, stopped and turned car off and back on and the light was off, then driving down the dual carrigeway hit about 60/70mph and the light came on again, now is on all the time but the car seems to be running fine with no problems.
Had a little look about and some people say about the fuel cap, which i checked and was loose so tightend it until the click, and drove about a mile but still on, should i check the fuel cap again and go for a longer drive?*

Any help or anything would be appreciated, the owners manual says the engine light is for emissions?*
Thanks.
jammy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
unevolved

My Ride: 2003 325i
The lovely thing about the OBD system is that it's an on-board diagnostic system. It exists solely to tell you what is wrong with the car. Take it to an auto parts store, and ask them to read the codes for you. They will make some recommendations on how to fix it, and you can use those codes (It'll start with a "P" and have four numbers after it, like "P0430") to do some research.

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
unevolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #3
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by unevolved View Post
The lovely thing about the OBD system is that it's an on-board diagnostic system. It exists solely to tell you what is wrong with the car. Take it to an auto parts store, and ask them to read the codes for you. They will make some recommendations on how to fix it, and you can use those codes (It'll start with a "P" and have four numbers after it, like "P0430") to do some research.
+1. Pull the codes before you do anything else.
jdstrickland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
jammy87

Ok so just need to go to a garage that has got diagnostic device that plugs into the car yes?
Old 05-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
jammy87

Hoping its nothing serious as not been paid from work yet, dont get that the car runs fine etc.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #6
unevolved

It should be fine. May not pass inspection, but odds are it'll keep getting you to work just fine. Hell, my check engine light's been on since last November. Drive it every day.

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #7
jammy87

So just need to go to a garage with diagnostic computer that will plug into the car?
Old 05-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #8
jammy87

Ah i see. Well its just weird that hit limiter by accident and its come on. Im sure iv read somewhere that bmws have got a safety set up that its kills power etc. Will someone with a fault code reader be able to turn the lights off?
Old 05-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #9
unevolved

Depends on what the code is. I'm not sure what you mean by "safety setup."

Old 05-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by unevolved View Post
The lovely thing about the OBD system is that it's an on-board diagnostic system.
Priceless.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:02 PM   #11
Chris C

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Go to an auto parts store like Advanced Auto first. They'll read the codes for free. A garage with diagnostic equipment will likely charge you.
The rubber seal around your gas cap could just be split or rotted a bit. Anyway, read the codes first. Good luck.
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:34 PM   #12
wapner

My Ride: 05 Xi
Bite the bullet and just buy an OBDII scanner, the thing is worth its weight in gold. Harbor Freight I noticed the other day had them for $24.95 on sale. Anyways, your gonna have to learn to use it sooner or later with this car, might as well be now. It's really easy to do, so dont let intimidation scare ya to a shop. Look for code, in your case sounds like just a loose gas cap(hopefully), clear code, run drive cycle(search here for that), go pass emissions. Drive cycle to prepare for emissions is tricky, but you can do it easily at night time with no traffic.
wapner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #13
jammy87

If my car has and obd how do i get the codes from it? And i suppose i then type the codes in on the internet or at a parts store. So i just need to get the codes from the obd how do i do this?
Old 05-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #14
jammy87

I have just had a quick look into this fault code stuff. And on the surface it looks fairly straight forward. Only problem i have is needing to find out which one to get as they all vary is price from 20 upto 150. If anyone who uses ebay.co.uk i.e from the uk can post a link to one to get on here that would be much appreciated.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #15
wapner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammy87 View Post
If my car has and obd how do i get the codes from it? And i suppose i then type the codes in on the internet or at a parts store. So i just need to get the codes from the obd how do i do this?
Buy the scanner, it will have directions. Also, lotsa info here, also just ask if confused and you'll get good help here.

Basically ya just plug it in under your dash, turn ignition to on(not start) and it will prompt you from there to scan for codes, hit enter, wait, and viola~ it will give you code. Write it down, follow exit procedure, or if code found follow clear code directions, and then follow exit procedure. It sounds intimidating, but its basically idiot proof. You'll be a pro in no time.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #16
wapner

Quote:
I have just had a quick look into this fault code stuff. And on the surface it looks fairly straight forward. Only problem i have is needing to find out which one to get as they all vary is price from 20 upto 150. If anyone who uses ebay.co.uk i.e from the uk can post a link to one to get on here that would be much appreciated.
Here ya go......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-FAULT-...item3cd95e6b09
Old 05-09-2014, 12:31 PM   #17
jammy87

Wapner. Does that coder that you have sent me the link for also clear codes i.e reset after fixing the problems, it brings up.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #18
JasonLI25t

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Quote:
Wapner. Does that coder that you have sent me the link for also clear codes i.e reset after fixing the problems, it brings up.
yes it does. i have that model and it is a tremendous value. you can see it on amazon here to see the large number of user reviews if you're curious.

http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan.../dp/B001LHVOVK
Old 05-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #19
jammy87

Well just read the full advert for the reader wapner . Have you used this reader before? Iv bought it anyway lol
Old 05-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #20
jammy87

Cheers jason. Give it good reviews. Still going garage in the morning as my mate has got a reader, who owns the garage. And said he will plug it in, and see what come up and clear anything that can be cleared for 10