E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 40 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #61
Chris3Duke

Of the people I know renting in Vienna

- 1 family just moved down here from Hoboken (we knew them up there). Wife is a lawyer, husband's family owns a couple of hotels. They're renting for a year while they find the right house to buy.

- Another family is foreign service. They'll only be here for a year before they go back out to the field (internationally somewhere).

- Another family was renting farther in, and moved out here temporarily while they build in Reston.

I think many renters are renting either for the school district, the location (close to the beltway and I66, or are military and the government is giving them a housing allowance.

I would guess most people in the town own their homes. Sucks for me, though, as I'm going to need to come up with $800k or $900k to upgrade from my townhouse...
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:49 PM   #62
2001BMW330xi

My Ride: Jeep
Send a message via AIM to 2001BMW330xi
vienna is a great suggestion, but prices may fair better a little farther south in fairfax, or a little farther west in chantilly. If you want something a little quieter - go further like Burke. Your commute may be longer, but good communities and more affordable.

reston is also not a bad thought, lots of real estate options there

Tysons/McLean area is desirable because of it's central location and the mall and the commercial aspects - but overpriced. You could easily live in one of those other areas and still enjoy Tysons Corner with a short drive.

Last edited by 2001BMW330xi; 05-19-2014 at 03:52 PM.
2001BMW330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:31 PM   #63
Bavaryan

My Ride: 330i w/out park.
Signed the offer letter today so it is a done deal. Looking to be up there around mid June or so and need to find a place by end of June.

We want to live inside the city for at least a little bit so we can fully experience it, plus it isn't really burning 30k more like 15k(difference in cost inside vs outside).

Thanks for all of the great suggestions so far, I'm looking in to every one if them!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #64
Bavaryan

Oh yeah, are there any do it yourself car garages in DC? I've got to find a way to still be able to wrench on the car....haha

Old 05-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #65
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
My brother just accepted a job in Baltimore. He'll be moving from Utah. I think the housing sticker shock is going to kill him.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #66
ghorn

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
My brother just accepted a job in Baltimore. He'll be moving from Utah. I think the housing sticker shock is going to kill him.
That, or a gang member in Balt.

I keed, I keed. Tell him to go to an O's game when he arrives. Great ballpark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.

Last edited by ghorn; 05-19-2014 at 05:51 PM.
ghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:53 PM   #67
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavaryan View Post
Oh yeah, are there any do it yourself car garages in DC? I've got to find a way to still be able to wrench on the car....haha

check out the mid atlantic regional sub-forum, I know there are some threads buried that you can search for...I was in those same discussions looking for them several years back.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:04 PM   #68
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:

if you're military, then yes. Just go to your base's autohobby shop
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:06 PM   #69
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
it always amazes me that people rent places in Northern Virginia for two to three times my mortgage. And it's still at least an hour commute from Loudoun County to Arlington
don't ask me how much I paid for the townhouse I just bought in McLean

I'll give you a clue, it was this:
Old 05-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #70
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001BMW330xi View Post

Tysons/McLean area is desirable because of it's central location and the mall and the commercial aspects - but overpriced. You could easily live in one of those other areas and still enjoy Tysons Corner with a short drive.
yeah, except for the Tysons Corner traffic and all the tweens frequenting that area shopping.

Schools out on summer break? I stay the heck away. Christmas season and Black Friday, and follow on weekend deals? I stay away. Shop online FTW

Last edited by MDydinanM; 05-19-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #71
Bavaryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
if you're military, then yes. Just go to your base's autohobby shop

Not military...

Old 05-19-2014, 07:33 PM   #72
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:

The one in Northern VA died a couple years back I think. There's some members here that do sidework; otherwise you will be paying an indy shop or doing your work outside (assuming your community allows it). Your best bet if you want to DIY is to either get a place with a garage, or rent out a garage.

Last edited by dreamdrivedrift; 05-19-2014 at 07:35 PM.
dreamdrivedrift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:09 PM   #73
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
There are plenty of local members who would probably let you use their garages for a nominal fee. Say, a six pack.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #74
Bavaryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
There are plenty of local members who would probably let you use their garages for a nominal fee. Say, a six pack.

I'll have to become active in the local forum.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #75
oie77

My Ride: wamta
Firstly, I didnt know there were so many DC area Fanatics...Nice to see.

Secondly, not sure why people are saying Alexandria schools are good, when they certainly are not.

Mclean, MoCo, Fairfax are the best around here. Bottom line, you'll have to prioritize what you want if youre on a budget. Either you'll get much less living space than you want or you'll live in an area thats further away.

Vienna is pretty nice, as is the Tysons area. In MD, Bethesda is great but pricey. Gaithersburg is affordable and still has some very good schools.
oie77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:44 AM   #76
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by oie77 View Post
Gaithersburg is affordable and still has some very good schools.
yeah, I was gonna say Gaithersburg, too. I went to UMD (College Park) and there were some nice places that my friends lived at around there.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #77
oie77

My Ride: wamta
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayraree View Post
yeah, I was gonna say Gaithersburg, too. I went to UMD (College Park) and there were some nice places that my friends lived at around there.
Hey, a fellow Terp! I went to UMD CP too.

I lived in Potomac then Bethesda, then Arlington now DC.

For the OP, I personally would pay a premium to live closer in and not have to commute for hours each day. To each his own, but for my wife and I, we really value not being stuck in a car/metro for hours and instead being able to spend that time doing other things. Of couse, we've got a much smaller house than our friends in the burbs, but thats how we chose to live...
oie77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #78
Chris3Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by oie77 View Post
Firstly, I didnt know there were so many DC area Fanatics...Nice to see.

Secondly, not sure why people are saying Alexandria schools are good, when they certainly are not.

Mclean, MoCo, Fairfax are the best around here. Bottom line, you'll have to prioritize what you want if youre on a budget. Either you'll get much less living space than you want or you'll live in an area thats further away.

Vienna is pretty nice, as is the Tysons area. In MD, Bethesda is great but pricey. Gaithersburg is affordable and still has some very good schools.
Yeah, I've lived in the area for 12 years, and never heard good things about Alexandria schools, other than TJ. I think there are certainly good reasons to live in Alexandria, but don't know if the schools would be on the list. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they're fine (Virginia in general has pretty good schools).

http://www.usnews.com/education/best...hools/virginia

The Falls Church/Vienna/McLean area is definitely the way to go. Our kids are zoned for Madison, which is ranked 3rd in the state, and 93rd nationally.

The nice thing about Vienna is you get off I66 right as it starts to back up (Nutley Street). Falls Church or McLean would certainly be better, but I commuted downtown from Vienna for many years (by car), and it took 45min-1hour in the morning, and less in the afternoon.

The HOT lanes have really done wonders to the Beltway between I95 and the American Legion Bridge. Construction took freaking forever, but it's nice to be able to pay a small toll to bypass 15-30 minutes of traffic. Hopefully, the silver line opening up will ease congestion even more.
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #79
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
Quote:

Make friends with someone in the military.. each base has a DIY garage.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #80
ELCID86

My Ride: 2004 330i (ZHP) x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
Make friends with someone in the military.. each base has a DIY garage.
+1 here are a couple:

http://www.belvoirmwr.com/Facilities...SkillsShop.php

http://www.quantico.usmc-mccs.org/in...skills-center/

http://ftmeademwr.com/auto.php

others at JB Anacostia/Bolling, etc.

- Shawn's 2004 IR/Alc. w/ 6MT ZHP (1/351 built)- http://bit.ly/1nhx4gk

- Colin's 2004 OB/Sand w/ 6MT ZHP (1/25 built)- http://bit.ly/1qT1tT1
- Shawn's 2004 OB/NB w/ AT (sold)
ELCID86 is offline   Reply With Quote