E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2014, 03:30 AM   #81
2001BMW330xi
revolt1112@msn.com

My Ride: Jeep
Send a message via AIM to 2001BMW330xi
get an ez pass for all your cars... now
Old 05-21-2014, 07:25 AM   #82
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001BMW330xi View Post
get an ez pass for all your cars... yesterday

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-21-2014, 07:42 AM   #83
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
My brother just accepted a job in Baltimore. He'll be moving from Utah. I think the housing sticker shock is going to kill him.
Tell him to watch all the seasons of The Wire. He'll be ready for Baltimore after that.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:36 AM   #84
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Tell him to watch all the seasons of The Wire. He'll be ready for Baltimore after that.
Lol it's not that bad, there's more than a few nice neighborhoods
Old 05-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #85
Bavaryan

My Ride: 330i w/out park.
Airline ticket booked I fly out on the 8th. Based on my zillow searches I think we are going to have a rough time finding a place in Alexandria. Falls Church seems like a good bet as does Springfield, will have to see which community feels better.

Also I'm having a hard time understanding the pet policies, I have literally seen ads that advertise being within walking distance to a dog park and then say sorry no pets allowed, all while I have the filter set for pets allowed. I'm hoping we won't have issues brining our 45lb dog.....

Old 05-26-2014, 01:39 AM   #86
2001BMW330xi
revolt1112@msn.com

My Ride: Jeep
Send a message via AIM to 2001BMW330xi
Springfield is kind of a cluster in terms of traffic...
Old 05-27-2014, 07:55 AM   #87
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
Falls Church is nice 2 things to remember in Falls Church:

DO NOT GO OVER THE SPEED LIMIT IN THE CITY
DO NOT HAVE TINTED WINDOWS

The city police are very aggressive about ticketing!
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:10 AM   #88
Chris3Duke

Falls Church over Springfield, no question.
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:08 PM   #89
Bavaryan

Living around Washington DC?

Well I've been up here since Sunday and learned a lot already. The first is that falls church is unfortunately out due to school districts, but I love the area. The second is that I am going to loathe my lowered 330i manual up here and I think it is going to be time to get something new. My rental maxima is nice but a little large, it will take me some time to figure out a replacement.

We are leaning towards the silver spring/Bethesda area based on school districts and commute, I will be taking my first drive up there tomorrow.

As of right now I am living in a perpetual state of gps guided confusion...

Last edited by Bavaryan; 06-10-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Bavaryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:25 PM   #90
md328ci

My Ride: Is Sold
Bethesda is pricy. If you want great schools at a lower price with another ten minutes of commuting, look to potomac. Specifically between bells mill Rd and montrose Rd.

md328ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #91
fayraree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavaryan View Post
Well I've been up here since Sunday and learned a lot already. The first is that falls church is unfortunately out due to school districts, but I love the area. The second is that I am going to loathe my lowered 330i manual up here and I think it is going to be time to get something new. My rental maxima is nice but a little large, it will take me some time to figure out a replacement.

We are leaning towards the silver spring/Bethesda area based on school districts and commute, I will be taking my first drive up there tomorrow.

lol good luck buddy! don't rule out kingstowne/springfield area...fam friendly and cheap
Old 06-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #92
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
Try Taco Bamba in Falls Church
http://tacobambarestaurant.com/
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #93
bagher

My Ride: Marshmallow logic
Send a message via AIM to bagher Send a message via Skype™ to bagher
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelhill View Post
You may want to take a look at Vienna. It is a tad pricey, but is an absolute gem of a small town. If I recall correctly, Vienna was rated the #3 small town in the U.S. by Money magazine.

I rent in Vienna and also have two children in elementary school. We are very happy, so much so that we have put off buying a house (further west on the I-66 corridor) for several years. You should be able to get a place that meets your family's needs for between $2500 -$3000. Maybe a little less if you are cool with a townhouse.

Good luck on your move and transition to the area.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using BimmerApp mobile app
I love Vienna. Lots of trees and parks, small town feel right next to Tyson's corner, the beltway, and 66. It's worth the premium to not have to commute an hour each way every day.
bagher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:32 PM   #94
Bavaryan

Thanks guys. Culture shock is an understatement but I think it will be an enjoyable decision long term.

I have an appt to look at a place in Alexandria that seems very promising tomorrow night, "a" rated school etc. still haven't fully wrapped my head around 30k a yr for rent but it is what it is.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:08 AM   #95
oie77

My Ride: wamta
Quote:
Originally Posted by md328ci View Post
Bethesda is pricy. If you want great schools at a lower price with another ten minutes of commuting, look to potomac. Specifically between bells mill Rd and montrose Rd.

While Potomac is not really cheaper than Bethesda, Bells mill/Montrose is a great area. I lived right around there. Frankly there may be more options (housing inventory) in that area than Bethesda.

Again, Alexandria schools are really not very good. Compared to previously mentioned areas (Bethesda, Rockville, Potomac, Gaithersburg, Vienna, etc), Alexandria is a very distant runner up.
oie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:37 AM   #96
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavaryan View Post

I moved to Reston from Austin in October and spent a few months cursing the GPS.....always seemed to take me on wild goose chases. My E46 is manual as well but not lowered, I see a lot of manual cars around here so it can't be that bad.
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #97
Bavaryan

To give an update, we found a place in south Alexandria. School is good and the commute to work should be very acceptable. I also like the fact it is right by the river, as living in Florida my whole life prior it kind of "grounds" me if that makes sense.

Thanks for all the tips!

Old 06-17-2014, 05:43 PM   #98
Bavaryan

Can someone explain to me how they can make an entire highway hov only? What is that????

Old 06-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #99
fayraree

lol nice, that's a good place to be...do you mean close to old town alexandria? that's pretty expensive! and yeah, the HOV lanes in/out of DC are pretty effective during the rush hours. That's not an entire highway, though, just the centre lanes.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:47 PM   #100
Bavaryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayraree View Post
lol nice, that's a good place to be...do you mean close to old town alexandria? that's pretty expensive! and yeah, the HOV lanes in/out of DC are pretty effective during the rush hours. That's not an entire highway, though, just the centre lanes.

It's about 15 minutes south of old town, old town would have destroyed our budget of 2400/month. I'm mainly referring to I66, there are signs that say "all lanes hov 4:30-6:30". I can't figure out how else to get back to my hotel so I've been taking it anyways, gps directs me that way even though I have the hov lanes turned off, just thought it to be odd.