E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
compcrasher86

My Ride: '01 330i ZSP Manual
Rear end creak, 01 330i

Hey guys, I've noticed with the warm weather lately my E46 will develop a creak from the rear when its warm. Didnt happen when ambient temp was in the 40's. Doesn't happen until car has been warmed up and driven several miles. Accelerating or braking or loading clutch has no effect. It seems to be only on uneven pavement at very low speeds under 10mph. I've gotten underneath and scrutinized the subframe mounts, but I can't find signs of any cracking so thats a relief. When I had the PPI done back in September they said the same. Shocks and upper mounts were replaced last month, no change in the sound at all. I can also hear the noise faintly when I get out of the car and the suspension unloads.

Should I be looking at the front-most RTABs, the two by the hub, am I in the wrong spot by looking at the trailing arm?

2001 330i Sport Package 5MT

Last edited by compcrasher86; 05-23-2014 at 09:49 AM.
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
David McMahon

My Ride: 15/Dec/98 E46 328i
Can you make a video of it? If it's more on one wheel than the other, possibly a wheel bearing?
Old 05-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #3
compcrasher86

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McMahon View Post
Can you make a video of it? If it's more on one wheel than the other, possibly a wheel bearing?
I'll have a video soon once this weather dries out. It doesn't seem to do it at all when its wet outside as it is now, only hot and dry. Likely not rear wheel bearings as I had new F.A.G. ones put in about 6k miles ago.

Last edited by compcrasher86; 05-23-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
Minnoe07

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330Ci
The only creaking I ever got was when I had poly bushings in on the rtab's. Just saying....

2004 330Ci 6 Speed; UUC Sway Bars; Powerflex RTAB's and FCAB's; KW V2 Coilovers; 3.38 OS Giken LSD
Z4 Finned Diff Cover; Headers; M-Tech II Rear Bumper and CF Diffusor; CF Trunk; CSL Front Bumper
M3 CF Hood; DICE I-Pod Kit; JTD Rear Shock Mounts; UUC Front Strut Bar; O2 Simulators
ESS TS2 Twin Screw Supercharger

Minnoe07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
compcrasher86

Bushings are OEM in the rear, don't know when they were last replaced. Video of noise, listen carefully:

Old 07-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #6
compcrasher86

Waited it out to see if it became more obvious, and now from underneath I found it. Looking at replacing the upper trailing arm ball joint. Held my finger on the bolt while lowering the car and I could clearly feel the creaking. Everywhere else felt normal. Koch tools master set on the way and going to do a trailing arm overhaul.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #7
Dave1027

My Ride: '06 IR 330ci zhp
That's a lot of work. If it were me, and I'm a lazy bastard, and the ball joint did not have slop but only made noise, I'd try to figure a way to get some lubricant into it. How about a syringe?
Dave1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
compcrasher86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
That's a lot of work. If it were me, and I'm a lazy bastard, and the ball joint did not have slop but only made noise, I'd try to figure a way to get some lubricant into it. How about a syringe?
I honestly thought about doing that, and it would probably do the trick. Somebody over on M3forum had success with it. The Koch master kit I ordered looks like it'll make this a quick job with the right tools. I also needed to do the RTABs anyways because things are feeling a bit floaty sp while I'm in there why not upgrade the lower bushings to M3 style ball joints. Finish it up with a rear end allignment and I'll know everythings nice and tight.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:44 AM   #9
Dave1027

My Ride: '06 IR 330ci zhp
I went with poly RTABs. I tried new oem rubber type first but was not satisfied with the tracking so I installed these poly RTABs. They lock the rear end, are so much easier to install and are not harsh riding.
Dave1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:39 AM   #10
RickyZone

My Ride: 2003 330ci M-Sport
I believe I have the same creak on my -03 330ci. During the PPI the mechanic also checked the subframe, no problems there. However he told me the rear bushings needed replacement. According to BMW, there are two types of rear bushings. I'm familiar with the RTABs, but which are the other ones? Are the RTABs the ones causing the creaks? Thanks!
RickyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #11
compcrasher86

I could try to explain it but Mango already has a pretty good thread covering the parts and locations: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1006058

I am avoiding Poly in the back because it really only provides one axis of rotation so you might end up with binding with a lot of suspension travel. I do autox on stock springs so I would really notice it in some of the turns. Vorshlag has a nice snippet explaining:
Quote:
Many racers just blindly install polyurethane into this and all bushing locations as a "fix" for a worn OEM rubber RTAB bushing. Polyurethane is a bad choice for a bushing material if it has to deflect - such as in a multi-axis suspension bushing location like the RTAB. Rubber bushings + limiters or a complete replacement with a custom steel spherical bearing are the only two textbook choices for this location. We have seen a number of RTAB failures on BMWs that were using poly in these areas - an expensive repair and a dangerous racing situation. At the very least poly will add bind during significant suspension movement, and this can make the handling feel odd (unexplained oversteer) as well as add significant stress to the suspension-to-chassis mounts (which is how they can fail over time).

That said, some folks with fully track prepared race BMWs have had OK results with polyurethane RTABs. This is due to the much higher spring rates and smoothness of tracks they tend to run with - higher spring rates and smooth tracks limit suspension travel, and thus limits the potential for bind from a polyurethane bushing at this bushing location. So even though you may hear good results from one racer, it doesn't necessarily mean that poly RTABs are the right choice for you. If you have a street car or dual purpose BMW you should always stick with OEM bushings and RTAB limiters, and even many race prepped BMWs use this setup with excellent results.
I've done a bit of research and personally I'm going with Z4M Lemfoerder bushings, vorshlag limiters, and Lemfoerder ball joints in the other two pivots on each trailing arm. With the Koch master kit I'm hoping it goes smoothly and then I'll get an allignment afterwards.

Last edited by compcrasher86; 07-15-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #12
SoCaLe39

My Ride: 06 M5 & 03 325i
If you need a RTAB tool to rent ($30) let me know. I can ship out and have it to you in a couple of days.

Last edited by SoCaLe39; 07-18-2014 at 03:51 PM.
SoCaLe39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:45 AM   #13
compcrasher86

Thanks for the offer man, good price on the rental tool as well. The Koch kit comes with adapters to do the RTAB so I'll give that a shot first.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app