E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 1.89 average. Display Modes
Old 05-31-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
bombhash

My Ride: 2000 323i
E46 sedan Cleaner Lines than Coupe.....M3 problems!!

Not a troll thread...

Honestly having trouble making decisions lately. Ha

Problem is, I think id rather have an S54 engine swap. The sedan to me, just look so much cleaner. It just has something more that you can't put into words that i feel a coupe is lacking.

Anybody agree? Lol. I know its an M3 forum so be cool but its just those damn coupes( especially chrome window trim Yuck!!)

Are good engine swaps hard to come by ??

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Is school already out for the summer?

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:44 PM   #3
bombhash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Is school already out for the summer?
Youre cute bud,

Possibly for the fact that I am probably more educated and possibly older than you, you'd really just be better to add something useful or explain your coupe fetish.

And No, college doesnt stop for me, even in the summer.
Thanks
Old 05-31-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
iansevilla

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
Chrome window trim? My ///M3 doesn't have chrome but, I don't mind having one...:-P you might not even notice the chrome trimming when I pass you on my ///M... Lol...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
iansevilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:27 PM   #5
bombhash

Yes dude i know M3s dont have chrome trim, thankfully. E46 coupes do.

You wont be passing anybody if they have an s54 thats tuned.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
iansevilla

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
But I have Coupe? Lol...

iansevilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:37 PM   #7
bombhash

Just dont ever put chrome trim on that M3 lol
Old 05-31-2014, 10:44 PM   #8
Hamsocne

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
It's a personal preference. Both look good. I like that coupes have body color rub strips/door guards or whatever you call them.

I seem to recall a post about the sedan having a stiffer body structure. I could be wrong on this but maybe because the rear seats don't fold down.

e46=cannot go wrong in my opinion.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:07 PM   #9
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombhash View Post
Youre cute bud,

Possibly for the fact that I am probably more educated and possibly older than you, you'd really just be better to add something useful or explain your coupe fetish.

And No, college doesnt stop for me, even in the summer.
Thanks

...and you're in college???

Old 05-31-2014, 11:22 PM   #10
bombhash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsocne View Post
It's a personal preference. Both look good. I like that coupes have body color rub strips/door guards or whatever you call them.

I seem to recall a post about the sedan having a stiffer body structure. I could be wrong on this but maybe because the rear seats don't fold down.

e46=cannot go wrong in my opinion.
Yeah exactly, you cannot go wrong. The sedan just has longer lines that i really like. It looks solid and complete to me. Not that all e46 coupes are terrible looking or anything. I see more class(luxury) in a sedan body, when done right of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
...and you're in college???

Youre really grasping here arent you?
Old 05-31-2014, 11:23 PM   #11
MightyAl

Ah more education always means more better. I think you could use a few more hours. Don't spare any expense.

If you want to do an engine swap then do it. Or are you not educated enuff to make it happen?

MightyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:31 PM   #12
bombhash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyAl View Post
Ah more education always means more better. I think you could use a few more hours. Don't spare any expense.

If you want to do an engine swap then do it. Or are you not educated enuff to make it happen?

Wow this guy too? Ya know, I never Knew E46 fanatics had so many English Professors hanging around.

You should all get together and I will write a paper ( in APA format or MLA ?) so you can go about correcting any grammatical errors that take place. Thanks.

Also, if i had an s54 and a garage I could use all day at anytime and a sedan I was happy with. Then I probably would.

Last edited by bombhash; 05-31-2014 at 11:37 PM.
bombhash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:41 PM   #13
Hamsocne

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
I would look into rear subframe reinforcement before you do anything else. You could probably (guessing) get into a six speed 540i for the same amount as you will need to spend.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:48 PM   #14
bombhash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsocne View Post
I would look into rear subframe reinforcement before you do anything else. You could probably (guessing) get into a six speed 540i for the same amount as you will need to spend.

Its all about that pre-facelift E46 tho
Old 05-31-2014, 11:54 PM   #15
XKR

My Ride: 2001 M3 Convertible
Sedans have that ugly piece of trim that goes all away around the car which isn't clean at all. Especially when the trim is black. M3's aren't limited to coupes; a large portion of them are convertibles which have very clean lines. Even more so when verts are equipped with the hardtop since all 4 windows can roll down and there is no B pillar. It kind of reminds me of the Mercedes CL/CLK class. If you want a fast sedan then why waste time/money and do a whole engine swap or FI when you could get a B5 S4? Crank up the boost on them and it will be faster than any car with a stock S54 engine. Or just buy a legit E36 M3 sedan. How are you even going to have time to do an engine swap since "college doesn't even stop in the summer". Sounds like mommy and daddy are funding this build

SGT catless headers

Full BW 3.5" Resonated Race Exhaust w/ diffuser

Tein S-Tech Lowering Springs
Sebion CF hood | CF Kidneys | ‹mnitiza Predator Orion V4 | Dynavin Nav D99+ w/Android | Blue Leds | Projector Fogs w/ 50w 5k HID| Painted Reflectors
XKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:36 AM   #16
bombhash

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKR View Post
Sedans have that ugly piece of trim that goes all away around the car which isn't clean at all. Especially when the trim is black. M3's aren't limited to coupes; a large portion of them are convertibles which have very clean lines. Even more so when verts are equipped with the hardtop since all 4 windows can roll down and there is no B pillar. It kind of reminds me of the Mercedes CL/CLK class. If you want a fast sedan then why waste time/money and do a whole engine swap or FI when you could get a B5 S4? Crank up the boost on them and it will be faster than any car with a stock S54 engine. Or just buy a legit E36 M3 sedan. How are you even going to have time to do an engine swap since "college doesn't even stop in the summer". Sounds like mommy and daddy are funding this build

Really?.....wow. Seriously, are you guys this ignorant everyday? Wow.

Why do you think im in summer classes in the first place. To get my degree as fast as possible so im not drowning in student loans. Get classes done in half the time. I also have a job, I will have nooooo time.

This is why im asking if its worth it to find a sedan with an engine swap.

Anyways, Verts to me are the worst. They almost look off-balanced from front to back. With sedans you just paint the trim. Looks real nice.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:31 AM   #17
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
Quote:
Really?.....wow. Seriously, are you guys this ignorant everyday? Wow.

Why do you think im in summer classes in the first place. To get my degree as fast as possible so im not drowning in student loans. Get classes done in half the time. I also have a job, I will have nooooo time.

Anyways, Verts to me are the worst. They almost look off-balanced from front to back. With sedans you just paint the trim. Looks real nice.

It is the turbo, or lack there bof
Old 06-01-2014, 02:20 AM   #18
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
The wagon looks way better than the sedan... yet the M3 is more than just an engine swap. Suspension, diff, brakes, ... would all need to be upgraded too. Plus as someone already pointed out you'll need to reinforce the subframe of the sedan (or wagon) to handle the extra power.

If you want a sedan M3, buy an e90, it'll cost about the same after all is said and done.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:24 AM   #19
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:

Anyways, Verts to me are the worst. They almost look off-balanced from front to back.
If you just want to go fast in a straight line there are far better and cheaper sedans than a e46 swap. If that's what you want, go for it, yet don't ask others what they think cause you won't like the advice.

Verts are the best... yet I'm biased.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #20
Alan

Quote:

Youre really grasping here arent you?

I "grasp" your non-sequitur segue into boasting about your age and high level of education - lacking anything else of actual substance to say.

Anyone paying even slight attention can smell it like the stink from a dead water buffalo rotting in the sun.