E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 10:18 PM   #1
rplogue7

My Ride: 2001 325ci vert
buying an Intake... opinions wanted!!!

I have a 2001 bmw e46 325ci and I want a little kick boost. intakes look really easy to install so I was just wondering what you guys have, your experiences with your intake(s) and which one I should buy/install. keep in mind that I'm only 16 so price is definitely an effective factor In this search. won't go over $250. any suggestions/opinions are appreciated. thanks guys

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #2
unevolved

My Ride: 2003 325i
You will gain nothing but noise. Your ECU will not adapt to the increased (marginally) air flow.

If you're 16, let's face it, you're more worried about how the car looks and sounds. Let's just make sure it's safe to drive. You're going to get bombarded with haters on here (it's mostly in fun), but if you've got any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
unevolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:44 PM   #3
[USMC]Skywalker

My Ride: 2005 Tiag M3
trust me on this one I used to have a e46 325i, e46 330ci and now an e46 M3, stock is very well engineered, just replace it with OEM airfilter and call it a day. I used to have a 330ci and had BMW performance intake and it didn't do any notable difference, neither does Dinan. If you want some kick get a performance engine software it wont give much HP gain but will increase throttle performance.
[USMC]Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:47 PM   #4
rplogue7

Quote:
Originally Posted by unevolved View Post
You're going to get bombarded with haters on here
it's usually constructive hate in some sort of shape. so your saying a chip + intake would give me gains but without the chip I'm getting nothing but noise

Old 06-02-2014, 10:50 PM   #5
unevolved

Potentially, yes. But a worthwhile "chip" (actually a retune, not a physical chip you replace) will greatly exceed your budget.

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:19 AM   #6
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
I have to respectfully disagree.

I'm a firm believer that the CAI is worth some WHP, & should absolutely be considered in any N/A setup.

OP: The cheapest CAI I know of is from Cosmo Racing, they claim 7 / crank HP, realistically figure 4 to 6 WHP. Cost is about $165 shipped.

http://www.cosmoracing.com/productin...d=165&pid=1486

If you were to save up & buy a Shark Injector (from forum sponsor Turner Motorsports) at the same time,.....well you'd probably send me a case of my favorite beer; because it would feel that good. Promise.

Good luck,
Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:23 AM   #7
philliplong

My Ride: 2002 325CI
You could make your own like me! :cool:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1401772985774.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	560655  
Old 06-03-2014, 12:38 AM   #8
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliplong View Post
You could make your own like me! :cool:

Nice !

I would vent that cold air into it that's just sitting dormant from the center hood scoop.

Rob43

Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Old 06-03-2014, 01:05 AM   #9
philliplong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Nice !

I would vent that cold air into it that's just sitting dormant from the center hood scoop.

Rob43
I want to but I don't know exactly how I want to do it yet but I planned on getting to it at some point. I do have to agree with you. It is good for a few HP.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:27 AM   #10
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
Quote:

Rob43
I have to factually disagree with you. Stock airbox is not restrictive at all for 2.5L engine, and it draws air from outside. 16 year old kids who just buy their E46 because they are so cheap now, think that BMW engineers are so stupid they did not watch fast and furious movies and don't know about short ram made in chine cone filter.
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:11 AM   #11
rplogue7

Quote:

I'm a firm believer that the CAI is worth some WHP, & should absolutely be considered in any N/A setup.

OP: The cheapest CAI I know of is from Cosmo Racing, they claim 7 / crank HP, realistically figure 4 to 6 WHP. Cost is about $165 shipped.

http://www.cosmoracing.com/productin...d=165&pid=1486

If you were to save up & buy a Shark Injector (from forum sponsor Turner Motorsports) at the same time,.....well you'd probably send me a case of my favorite beer; because it would feel that good. Promise.

Good luck,

Rob43
alright so the total cost of this would be a little north of $500, not too bad. I have another question, would the intake be ineffective without the shark injector? In other words, should I Install a shark injector and an intake afterwards, so when I do have an intake the ECU will be set up for it?

Old 06-03-2014, 07:33 AM   #12
Swater330i

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i 5MT
buying an Intake... opinions wanted!!!

The cheapest CAI won't give you 4-6 hp. There has been tests where it was concluded that a cheap intake can lose you 2 hp in our cars. The BMW performance box supposedly gives 6.5-8hp, and it's the only one I'd trust in our cars, unless you're going FI. If I was looking for cheap performance I'd get a software flash and do inspection II maintenance items + vanos seals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureSubie View Post
IMO, the euro clear corners looks too aftermarket/ricey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davconelectric View Post
This 323 would most likely handle and drive better than a stock e46 m3.

Last edited by Swater330i; 06-03-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Swater330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:51 AM   #13
erickonphoenix

My Ride: 2004 325i Touring
a cold air intake needs to be isolated from the heat of the engine. Most good kits supply a heat shield but they should be supplementally insulated as well. If your feeling extra motivated you can route fresh air to the intake with brake ducting. Also, some kids think these provide "off the line" improvement but they don't. If you get any bump from them at all it's at higher speeds.
erickonphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:53 AM   #14
Swater330i

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i 5MT
Hey OP check out this video, , and more from these guys. They will save you a lot of money on your car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureSubie View Post
IMO, the euro clear corners looks too aftermarket/ricey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davconelectric View Post
This 323 would most likely handle and drive better than a stock e46 m3.
Swater330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #15
philliplong

How did I know this was going to turn into a CAI war?

Old 06-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #16
unevolved

If you want an intake, buy an intake. It's not going to change your life. It'll make noise, maybe a tiny bit of power, and that's it.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:57 AM   #17
unevolved

At the end of the day, you still make less power than a minivan. It's not a muscle car.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #18
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
I have to factually disagree with you. Stock airbox is not restrictive at all for 2.5L engine, and it draws air from outside. 16 year old kids who just buy their E46 because they are so cheap now, think that BMW engineers are so stupid they did not watch fast and furious movies and don't know about short ram made in chine cone filter.
BMW engineers aren't stupid. BMW engineers are also not allowed to design a street car with no restrictions on cost or noise levels. It's funny what kind of an intake they choose when they are allowed to dismiss those concerns though...

I'm not claiming the stock intake is so restrictive you gain huge numbers by replacing it, but claiming the intake we get from the factory is the best performance solution is naive at best...
Old 06-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #19
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

^ Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplogue7 View Post
alright so the total cost of this would be a little north of $500, not too bad. I have another question, would the intake be ineffective without the shark injector? In other words, should I Install a shark injector and an intake afterwards, so when I do have an intake the ECU will be set up for it?

You can do them separately & it doesn't matter which one is done first. If I were doing it, I'd buy the Shark* from Turner Motorsports first because of the excellent driveability. I made a little over 6 WHP with a before & after dyno, but it's the driveability with the Shark that really is the amazing part.

Oh, and back to the CAI argument: When I'm at the race track on any given SCCA race weekend, Nobody is running a stock airbox (except in a Miata because the Rule Book says you have too) in their race car. Everyone runs some form of CAI, if a stock airbox in a Bimmer or any other car were worth a grain of salt, racers would still be using the stock part,......but they're not.

Good luck,
Rob43

Quote:

Last edited by Solidjake; 06-03-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #20
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Quote:
Nice !

Rob43
The K&N does that.