E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
stupot

My Ride: 2004 E46 318ci
Handbrake not holding the car

I bought my 318 recently and noticed that the parking brake was not very good. So whilst i was chaging the rear discs and pads i thought i would adjust them properly at the wheel end. I tightened the adjusters as far as they go, then tightened the slack off under the hand brake but it still will not hold on most inclines. If it does hold, it will only do so on the highest click.

I had a little look at the shoes whilst the discs were off and they seemed fine. Car has only done 65k miles too so i dont think they can be worn out.

This leaves me to thing there is an issue elsewhere possibly? Any help would be much appreicated
stupot is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Adjustment is done both at the wheels and also at the lever inside. Pull the leather boot away from console and tighten your nuts.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:45 AM   #3
stupot

As explain in my OP, ive already done that. The adjusters in the car are wound so far out i can now only just get a deep socket on them.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:55 AM   #4
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Sorry I did not see you'd done that. Maybe there's a stretched-cable solution.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:00 AM   #5
stupot

Thats what im thinking now, is there any way to check the state of the cables? If i hold the button and pull the handbrake up, i can hear a quite audible squeak from one side of the car by the rear wheel. Not sure if this is usual
Old 03-15-2014, 01:04 AM   #6
Snipez4664

My Ride: '00 328i
The cables themselves are covered and i doubt you would be able to see anything by looking at them. If you have done the maximum adjustment on both ends, either something is not installed correctly, or the cable is stretched. I would check the rear wheel to make sure everything is on there correctly and the shoe/pad things isn't completely shot. If everything is good, you should be able to find one for fairly cheap. i have an extra set but you are in the UK and not sure how much shipping would be