E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 01:15 AM   #281
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
nevermind
when i went back and looked at the photos, i figured it out
the window does not go "inside" the brackets

anyway

this is what it looked like when i pulled the window motor off the regulator
the wire was all eaten up

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)

Last edited by XKxRome0ox; 05-10-2009 at 01:18 AM.
XKxRome0ox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:01 PM   #282
lagoe46

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via MSN to lagoe46
Just read this DIY as I wil be doing this tonight...car is sitting in parking lot at work right now with the window down...GOT TO LOVE IT!

Anyway just thought that I'd share this with you guys. I ordered this regulator from a parts guy in CT that my brother ordered a bunch of stuff with.

The price was $60- for rear right on a 330i (cant beat that) and they waranty the parts for 1 year.

Check out the link!

http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...Regulator_E46_

Hopes this heps some of you save a few bucks. I know I'm on a budget!

-AL
Old 05-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #283
josephmech

My Ride: 2001 325i sedan 5m
Ok today I was rolling up passanger side back window and heard crunching noise. Regulator broken. My brother in law helped me to get it up and the switch down held it in up position. I am going to order from Pelican since I like their parts are high quality last part was german mad oem or equivalent. Well now I need to order part thank for the post guys.
josephmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:45 AM   #284
azzy989

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to azzy989 Send a message via MSN to azzy989
just did my window regulator. the job itself was easy but i had a really tough time putting the bolt which held the red bracket to the regulator. i guess my tip to make this easier is to get a magnetic tipped socket. either that or you can use a fisher magnet and attach that as close as possible to bolt on the socket and extension. that did the trick for me.

oh and on another note, i noticed that on my original regulator the rails were greased as well as the pulleys. i figured it would be a good precaution to grease the new one up just in case. i applied a light coating, just enough to allow it to slide easily.

Last edited by azzy989; 05-21-2009 at 04:48 AM.
azzy989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:12 AM   #285
billg

My Ride: 04 330i
Maybe this is a better place for this question:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=677185
billg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:52 PM   #286
hockeywagon

My Ride: 2003 325xi wagon
Widow Regulator

Just did my drivers side rear widow regulator. Follow the steps on this and other threads and you'll get it done.

I took my netbook PC out to the car and followed the photos/directions.

Some observations:

I used a thin blade screwdriver to pry off the door panel. I used a credit card to pry against to protect the paint.

This is a bolt in procedure with no adjustments required. I find adjustments can sometimes make a job more difficult for the inexperienced.

Cutting the sticky goop with a single edge razor blade was helpful. I bought a new roll of the goop from my BMW dealer for $17. Have enough left over for at least a second door. Thought it was cheap insurance against a water leak. I just put it over the existing goop.

My dealer charged $147 for the regulator. Since the window was stuck open and I park outside I went for it. Tischler has it for $97. Next time I'll take the door panel off, push the window up and figure out a way to secure it in the up position. Then I'll be able to wait for the part to arrive in the mail.

Using a Torx socket didn't work on one of the holes in the door handle, the socket tip was too wide thus too tight in the hole. The screw came right out with a Torx screwdriver.

You can do this, I say go for it.
hockeywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #287
billg

OK...I need some help. I just replaced my regulator and the window goes down fine but does not really move up? it starts but then stops as if something is holding it back. The motor gets pretty hot as well. Any suggestions?
Old 06-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #288
clinique

My Ride: 06 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by billg View Post
OK...I need some help. I just replaced my regulator and the window goes down fine but does not really move up? it starts but then stops as if something is holding it back. The motor gets pretty hot as well. Any suggestions?
window may not be level and its binding on the way up
loosen the two bolts that hold onto the glass and tilt the glass towards the B*****ar, then tighten again
clinique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:46 AM   #289
billg

yeah...I did not realize the window adjustment works by closing THEN tightening the regulators/nuts. I assume the same with the red clips? I do believe that my left clip is not seated well but I could not manipulate the window to seat properly. Hopefully that is all that is binding it up.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 06-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #290
lahlooha

My Ride: 2000 328i
Guys, when installing the new regulator, do I need to grease it a bit? I got a new one from a BMW dealership but it doesn't look nearly as greased as teh old one I am replacing.
lahlooha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #291
Rotha

My Ride: N/A
done this a total of 5 times on different cars. a pro now. i dont even break clips anymore
"You makes me sick" officer responds, "So worried about your BMW; but don't even notice your left arm is missing?"
"OMG.." lawyer replies. "Where's my Rolex?"
Rotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #292
u156446

My Ride: 2001 330i
Add another success to this list. Just replaced my rear driver side regulator in under two hours. Most of the time was wasted trying to figure out how the bottom of the window, the red tab, and the regulator all fit back together.
u156446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:38 PM   #293
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: stock
Thank you for this DIY!
BreakfastBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:03 AM   #294
fullbooker

My Ride: 2003 325iT
I changed-out my right rear window regulator last evening using this DIY. Very helpful and complete.
Couldn't understand why old regulator would not come out; went back to DIY and found that I had skipped step 10, the part about removing the bolt in the red thing. Removed that 8mm bolt and the rest was like butter.
Many thanks to Tommiexboi!
Phil
fullbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #295
gregnick3377

My Ride: 325i 2002
I just finished this on my rear driver window. Couple things I ran into though. I had a hard time with was the motor, it did not go easily into the new regulator bracket so I had to do a little bending persuading with a screw driver. I hooked up the speaker wire to the window control - should have labeled them during disassembly. I paid decent money to have it fixed the first time, next time only 75 bucks and I'll be able to raise the window up and tape it closed instead of the rustling trashbag eyesore on a half lowered window. I hope I'm onto a new car before I do this again. Next DIY is rear brakes and rotors with e-brake adjustment.
gregnick3377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:26 AM   #296
edhchoe

My Ride: 325i
The hardest part for me was loosening the bolt on the glass. I had to spray WD40 and wait and had to grind the 8mm socket to make it flat. But got the job done in about 2 hours. Saved $$$$$$$.
Thank you!

One touch Auto up function was lost in the process. I had to reset it by turning the key to "On" position and hold the button down to all the way down and hold it up to all the way up and count ten and let go. And the one touch down and one touch up work again.

Last edited by edhchoe; 08-01-2009 at 12:39 AM.
edhchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #297
Dcha

My Ride: Mkodama's sister
Send a message via AIM to Dcha
Well, when the regulator came, the up and down leads were switched. I switched them to their rightful leads, but now it won't go up automatically. Anyone have a fix? It only goes up when I pulled it up to the second click (the automatic one)
Old 08-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #298
Dcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhchoe View Post
The hardest part for me was loosening the bolt on the glass. I had to spray WD40 and wait and had to grind the 8mm socket to make it flat. But got the job done in about 2 hours. Saved $$$$$$$.
Thank you!

One touch Auto up function was lost in the process. I had to reset it by turning the key to "On" position and hold the button down to all the way down and hold it up to all the way up and count ten and let go. And the one touch down and one touch up work again.
ten seconds each?
Old 08-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #299
Dcha

I can't figure out how to reset my auto up.

edit: I fikst it.

Last edited by Dcha; 08-21-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Dcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:08 AM   #300
antzcrashing

My Ride: 2006 330i
I just bought the new regulator to replace my broken one. Does the position of the window have to be synced (matched) to the motor position:

i.e. window all the way up and motor to its most-clockwise
or window all the way down and motor to its most-counterclockwise

If the window has a "closed" and "bottomed-out" sensor, then this would not be necessary.

Just don't want to ruin my motor or new regulator.