E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #321
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLarrazabal View Post
Sounds easy but you forgot that the window now has to be adjusted forward and backward as needed as well as angle. Kinda need a service manual to do that.
Say what?

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #322
cjjones231

My Ride: Accord (Future BMW)
Great write up! Just did this on my mom's X5. Basically the same process.
cjjones231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #323
FLarrazabal

My Ride: 325Ci
Sorry, I just read the post again, the adjustments are only needed on frameless windows such as on convertibles.
FLarrazabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #324
spherehunter

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
I replaced both front regulators with and OEM part from Advanced Auto Parts. The first replacement parts went bad, so I warrantied them and got another pair, now these are going bad. What will cause regulators to go bad so quickly? Part is below.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ulator+only%29
spherehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #325
John in VA

My Ride: '00 Farngrün 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by spherehunter View Post
What will cause regulators to go bad so quickly?
Poor materials/quality, improper installation. I have had no problems with the Dorman regulators from Advance, but mine have only been in a year or so.
'86 535i
'85 535i
'85 325e - RIP
'74 2002tii
John in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #326
spherehunter

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
Ok, replacing the regulators is extremely easy. I follow video on BVAuto and reviewed Haynes and Bentley manuals. Thanks for the response though. I'm going to return it one more time and do the installation one more time.
spherehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #327
brian06

My Ride: 2003 zhp
great thread, did mine today but now my door wont open. it will unlock and lock from both inside and out but wont open
brian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #328
John in VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian06 View Post
great thread, did mine today but now my door wont open. it will unlock and lock from both inside and out but wont open
Sounds like you didn't get the cable part into the slot for pull lever on the backside of the handle.
'86 535i
'85 535i
'85 325e - RIP
'74 2002tii
Old 04-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #329
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
who's got the best price for genuine bmw window regulators?
i thought the rear ones were significantly cheaper than the front .. .but i'm seeing $90-100

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:20 AM   #330
the_stick

My Ride: 330i
Why buy new ones? They'll break again. Just use a needle plier and crimp the metal U support around the cable wire. The metal U is there to support the plastic mold that holds the cable. If your plastic piece have broken off, you should be able to see the U. Of course the plastics are meant to break. Probably designed to break from lawsuits. So if you're worried about little fingers getting caught then continue buying new regulators. Forget about using zip ties to reinforce the plastics. Zip ties will eventually break and they make the glass protrude a little (ie not completely flush when down).
the_stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:22 AM   #331
the_stick

My Ride: 330i
bmwmercedesparts.com provides good prices, but they charge shipping by weight. They're still cheaper than stealerships for OEM parts.
the_stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #332
bavari13

My Ride: ZHP & E90 335i
I just had my windows tinted yesterday morning. I had my front driver's side regulator go out. Do I need to move the window from the closed position at all? I don't want to roll down the windows for a few more days.
bavari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #333
John in VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavari13 View Post
Do I need to move the window from the closed position at all? I don't want to roll down the windows for a few more days.
Probably. You need to have access to the bolt holding the window to the red regulator clip, and for that you need the window positioned down somewhat.
'86 535i
'85 535i
'85 325e - RIP
'74 2002tii
Old 03-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #334
DEADF15H

My Ride: DD is a 2001 325i
Warning: I ordered an OEM front drivers regulator from one of our bigger sponsors, they sent the wrong part number. Since I already had the door apart I went to the dealership and got the correct one. It was for a 2001 325i Sedan.
Upon further investigation, I did see that the picture they have online is still the wrong one they sent me, but it will not fit my year and model.
Sometimes these things happen when ordering online, they are a great supplier normally. However, I had to pay a 25% restocking feel, the shipping costs back on the return and the more expensive price difference on the dealership part.
I'm going to try and get the 25% credited back. They are normally a great supplier, but it's their error.
I don't want to slam their name here, as overall they've been great over the years, but if you have my year and model PM me and I tell you who it was. I will try and monitor their site to see if they change it, but when I talked with customer service, they didn't seem too concerned. I am planning on addressing it again with them on Monday.
I'm not a mechanic and found this repair fairly easy, if I took my time and watched the ECS video, had to watch the reinstall twice to get the regulator back in the door after trying to jiggle it in on my own.
I would advise getting the two orange clips that hold the window in and replace them, they're cheap, ($2.00 online?), the parts guy at the dealership threw them in the bag gratis. Once I got the old ones out, they were pretty worn.
I would also suggest cleaning, then vacuuming out the bottom of the door interior, You'll find some interesting things there. Dirt holds moisture, moisture promotes rust.
DEADF15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #335
B00

My Ride: 99 323i
Thanks! This helped. I didn't realize til I had everything off that the zip tie method only works for front doors. But still great diy to get the door panel off. My window was stuck down and I got it up this way and wedged a piece of wood at the bottom, ha. THANKS!
B00 is offline   Reply With Quote