E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 03-08-2005, 06:36 PM   #81
edco

My Ride: 2004 325cic 2011 X5
Tommie:
I do appreciate the optimism, BUT this my wife's car..and if you are, were or ever will be married, you know there is nothing worse in the WORLD than screwing up your bride's ride...

Fortunately, Staz has agreed to help me (he's got family that lives close by me), and if the weather warms up I hope to tackle this on Saturday..

Thanks for the encouraging words though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiexboi
the front's are easier in my opinion.... u should actually try it yourself man, i was 18 at the time i was doing it... didn't know ne thing about cars, and had no clue on what i was doing.. but im a pro now hahha
edco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 07:57 PM   #82
edco

Thanks Stan....

So today was the day...
Tommie's DIY instructions printed beside me, and berberle's sheet on suggestions for the front along side..I started and had the door panel off, the vapor barrier off, the battery disconnected, when Stan arrived..

The challenge became loosening the window retaining bolts.. Stan was truly THE man in helping to get them loose..BUT we discovered that a "long and skinny" 8MM socket and the window dropped almost to the bottom, became the key to success..

So my contribution to this thread is (for the front reg anyway) is to pick up an 8MM deep and narrow socket BEFORE you begin.
Also, there is a clip that needs to be transferred from the old cable to the new one which may just be in the front, but easily overlooked, and not in the original write up..

Thanks Tommie, beberle and most of all Stan for helping me become a little smarter about my 323i..

Cheers
Old 03-13-2005, 11:29 AM   #83
Staszek
Are we there yet??

My Ride: Now a daily drive
Send a message via AIM to Staszek
Quote:
Originally Posted by edco
So today was the day...
Tommie's DIY instructions printed beside me, and berberle's sheet on suggestions for the front along side..I started and had the door panel off, the vapor barrier off, the battery disconnected, when Stan arrived..

The challenge became loosening the window retaining bolts.. Stan was truly THE man in helping to get them loose..BUT we discovered that a "long and skinny" 8MM socket and the window dropped almost to the bottom, became the key to success..

So my contribution to this thread is (for the front reg anyway) is to pick up an 8MM deep and narrow socket BEFORE you begin.
Also, there is a clip that needs to be transferred from the old cable to the new one which may just be in the front, but easily overlooked, and not in the original write up..

Thanks Tommie, beberle and most of all Stan for helping me become a little smarter about my 323i..

Cheers
No Problem

And I am glad you got the switch fixed!

Euro Delivery Date 8/14: 2013 E93
///M3 -6MT
Staszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:59 PM   #84
ChadE7320

My Ride: E90 / ATR-72
Send a message via AIM to ChadE7320
Wink Easy

Thats had to be one of the eastiest things i have ever done on my car and saved my self over $200, i did the front passanger and the only this diff from the write up is there are two red tabs opne front one in the back and the air bag but other than that it took me about and hour to do and could do in about 30 minutes next time.
ChadE7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 03:09 PM   #85
AMG EATER
Senior Registered User

My Ride: modded E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadE7320
Thats had to be one of the eastiest things i have ever done on my car and saved my self over $200, i did the front passanger and the only this diff from the write up is there are two red tabs opne front one in the back and the air bag but other than that it took me about and hour to do and could do in about 30 minutes next time.
yes i did my back rear and save me ton of $$ too-- i printed this post and had my Bentley close by

my modded sedan
AMG EATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 12:09 AM   #86
bm2u

My Ride: 2004 330i zhp
i had mine done at the dealer under warranty because it was making
creeking noises when going up.
jmk in jersey totaly foked it up. they ripped my tint and 3 weeks later
the creek is worst then ever im so pissed off
they did however pay half for replacing the tint.
how come the mechanic did not tape the window up when he did the job
i hate the stealerships they are morrons
bm2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 12:59 AM   #87
tommiexboi

My Ride: 328i > 335i > M3 cab
Send a message via AIM to tommiexboi
wow... i guess im famous?? hehehe you guys should all buy me a beer

thanks for the nice words and i hope this thread keeps up

[SOLD] "The OG M Parallel Master" =) ------------------------- [New] 2008 E90 335i "White Monster"

New Pictures 5/22
Window Regulator Write-up (DIY)
tommiexboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:15 PM   #88
edco

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiexboi
wow... i guess im famous?? hehehe you guys should all buy me a beer

thanks for the nice words and i hope this thread keeps up

Tommie: Come to NJ and I'll buy you a KEG ..and then Stan, bmu and the rest of us who have come to appreciate your write up can toast you righteously !

ED in NJ
Old 04-06-2005, 10:29 PM   #89
tommiexboi

hahaha, no problem dudes

i know this problem happens a lot and i know it costs exactly 274.56 at the dealer (well my dealership) .... i would rather do it myself and keep 200 bucks to myself

glad everything worked out for you guys

[SOLD] "The OG M Parallel Master" =) ------------------------- [New] 2008 E90 335i "White Monster"

New Pictures 5/22
Old 04-06-2005, 11:39 PM   #90
edco

Another thought....

Greetings:
I've spend WAYYYY too much time analyzing what actually "broke" on my regulator..and provide the following dissertation for your reading and kind consideration..Here's my analysis..I welcome feedback, critiques and/or insights from anyone who tries my suggestion...

THE BAD NEWS
Note: My suggestion will require you to do the disassembly/assembly TWICE if your gear is broken or my suggestion doesn't work for you..BUT, think of it as PRACTICE for when the part you end up needing arrives...

BEGINNING
First, I shall assume you've gotten or can get to the point in Tommie's DIY where you have removed the door panel, the vapor barrier (what a be-yatch!), the airbag assm (3 screws) if front window(s), and the window motor (3 screws). When you remove the motor, you see the gear that meshes with the motor..which drives the cable that of course raises and lowers the window...

ED's STORY
After I replaced the window regulator, I began the inspection of the old one I removed, to try to discover what was wrong with it (and so many others). In MY case, NONE of the gear's teeth were broken BUT it was HEAVILY clogged with what can only be described as gunky, dried up BROWN grease (or whatever lubricant the factory put in there),.. With the grease dried up, it prevented a smooth range of motion of the glass driven by the cable via the gear...

ED'S SUGGESTION
BEFORE you buy the window reg part (reminder, mine was a FRONT regulator which MIGHT be different from the rear), go thru the same steps of taking off the door panel, the vapor barrier and the motor.. Now, LOOK CLOSELY at the white gear from where you just removed the window motor.. IF there are no broken teeth in the gear, CAREFULLY spray the area with brake cleaner or your personal choice of solvent (PLEASE, NOTHING TOO STRONG or it'll melt the plastic gear part)..get a box of q-tips and begin removing any/all traces of the old brown grease..work hard to get as much of the old grease removed as possible..Manually push the glass down to see if any old grease OOZES out from the sides..

NOW, get some white lithium grease and carefully spray it into the area where the gear spins inside it's holder..Again, manually pulling the window up and down between sprays will help insure that you've gotten the GOOD grease inside..

Reinstall the window motor...reconnect the neg side of the battery (if you didn't disconnect it from the beginning, give your forehead a smack and say "DOH!" really loud), and before putting back the vapor barrier and the door panel back on, TRY the window (ie, see if it goes up and down without making cracking sounds or any other stalls along the way...)

ED'S WARNING
BE VERY CAREFUL !! THE AIR BAG IS LIVE ONCE THE BATTERY IS RECONNECTED AND DOESN'T LIKE TO BE JOSTLED, BOUNCED, SHAKEN OR DROPPED !! IT IS YOUR CHOICE/RESPONSIBILITY TO USE THIS APPROACH. MY SUGGESTIONS ARE MERELY THAT - SUGGESTIONS !! AIR BAGS ARE RISKY, AND IT'S YOUR CHOICE TO TRY THIS APPROACH. BE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THE RISKS BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT THIS PROCEDURE.

THE GOOD NEWS!
If it works, you not only saved the $200 labor, but the $75 for the parts !!
I have no idea if this is a permanent fix, but I have checked all the other gears on my sedan..they looked exactly like the one I replaced, so I perfomed the service I just described..I will tell you that they definitely move much SMOOTHER than before, and "seem" to seal better than before..

Hope this helps someone...and if your experience differs from my own, please write and let us know..

THANKS

Ed in NJ
Old 04-06-2005, 11:46 PM   #91
tommiexboi

also check out the wire that brings the window up and down.... that can be the cause of a failing window regulator...

New Pictures 5/22
Old 04-19-2005, 03:52 PM   #92
Amit

My Ride: 2000 323i
Seattle?

I've got a 2000 323i and looks like both my front regulators are shot. I have no idea if it's the motor or wire, so I'll just assume it's the regulator. Anyone in the Seattle/Bellevue area want to follow the steps in this thread on my car ? I don't want to pay the $350 /each side that the dealer wants.
Amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 09:36 PM   #93
heyimtommy

My Ride: 05 G35 Coupe
i think my regulator is messed up to but it seems to go up and down fine but when it goes down sometimes sounds like its hitting somethign and doesnt go all the way down. and when its down some times it goes really slow up but it does go up and down wat do u think the problem is?
heyimtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 03:58 AM   #94
tommiexboi

regulator... it's probably the wire

New Pictures 5/22
Old 05-05-2005, 04:53 PM   #95
OLGA

My Ride: '01 330i
How do you know if the Window Regulator is broke. I've been using the Driver's side window up/down with no noises and problems. But when I brought it into the dealer to fix my door brake, they said it will cost $290 to fix the window regulator. The dealer said the regulator parts are broken and in pieces laying at the bottom of the door. The window worked fine just before I dropped my car off for service? They asked if I heard any loud noises when operating the window, but the thing is quiet? Are there any warning signs?
OLGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:17 PM   #96
Staszek
Are we there yet??

My Ride: Now a daily drive
Send a message via AIM to Staszek
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLGA
How do you know if the Window Regulator is broke. I've been using the Driver's side window up/down with no noises and problems. But when I brought it into the dealer to fix my door brake, they said it will cost $290 to fix the window regulator. The dealer said the regulator parts are broken and in pieces laying at the bottom of the door. The window worked fine just before I dropped my car off for service? They asked if I heard any loud noises when operating the window, but the thing is quiet? Are there any warning signs?

Sometimes they just break all the sudden, sometimes you will get a bit of a warning. If its starting to break you may get some load clicking of cracking noises as the window goes up.

If you can follow a DIY and have someone to help I would fix it yourself. The part online is $75 it takes about an hour to change (quicker if you know what your doing)

Euro Delivery Date 8/14: 2013 E93
///M3 -6MT
Staszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 03:26 PM   #97
OLGA

Thanks...Is this repair detailed in the Bentley Manual?
Old 05-07-2005, 02:02 AM   #98
edco

who needs Bentley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLGA
Thanks...Is this repair detailed in the Bentley Manual?

I don't know about the Bentley Manual, but you have got all the DETAILS right here, starting with page 1 from Tommiebox.

In sum, take off door panel, take off vapor barrier, take off motor, take off airbag if front, remove regulator, reverse. - PERIOD

What more are you looking for?

Safe Travels

ED in NJ
Old 05-09-2005, 10:37 AM   #99
OLGA

Thanks for the step-by-step breakdown...I'm fixing to buy a Bentley Repair Maunal and was trying to see if this was covered or not to see whether it's worth it to buy the manual or not.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:14 PM   #100
Jake
Steelblue Zim Zimma

My Ride: "Shark Infested 323"
Send a message via AIM to Jake
Great DIY, just like many of you one of my Regulators went bad AGAIN!!!!!!!! this time its the rear drivers side window. I use the link listed here in the post and the Price is NOW $84.00 or so vice the $75.00 but Since I am currently in VA, and they are located in MD, I will have it shortly.

My window is currently up now, It was stuck in the down position until I removed the motor, I am just waiting on the new Regulator, door is all apart ready to go.

I hope BMW Updates there regulators..this is crazy...Again DIY is great, this is Why I love this Forum, and has certainly come a long way from 1999. been down since then. This is what the fourm is all about.

JAke

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote