E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 05-17-2005, 01:44 AM   #101
ROM325i
Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: 818
Posts: 80
My Ride: '01 325i
Great DIY! Just wanted to add this thread to the write-up. It's a minor zip tie mod that might be able to extend the life of your regulators haven't heard of too many people doing it though, so if anyone does another regulator try it out maybe? I haven't tried either but plan to very soon...

Read post #4 and beyond...
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=window

Hope this helps!
ROM325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 04:51 AM   #102
tommiexboi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 2,929
My Ride: 328i > 335i > M3 cab
Send a message via AIM to tommiexboi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROM325i
Great DIY! Just wanted to add this thread to the write-up. It's a minor zip tie mod that might be able to extend the life of your regulators haven't heard of too many people doing it though, so if anyone does another regulator try it out maybe? I haven't tried either but plan to very soon...

Read post #4 and beyond...
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=window

Hope this helps!
Cool, that idea does work to a certain point. However, the reason that the Window Regulator is breaking is because the wires become weak over time and will eventually snap. The area that will snap is where it coils around this white plastic piece. Thats where the Window Regulator will eventually break. (Trust me i know, i have replaced over 10 now.. Friends and Mine) However, if the case is the holdering being broken, than the above method will work, however most of the problem comes in the white circle coil. Hope this helps.

ATTENTION*********

Before attempting to do the front windows, BE SURE TO UNPLUG YOUR BATTERY! Because if you don't, when you unplug your airbags, the computer will read it and your car will have a error reading on the dash!

Here's a way of knowing that your window regulator is about to or is broken.

1. Strange Cracking or Breaking noise coming from the inside of the Window
2. Slowly going up and making a little noise
3. The window stop's moving and you start to hear cracking noises

Please Be advised- Any cracking noise coming from the window, is most likely the window regulator and you will need to get it fixed ASAP... Please do not be afraid of the cracking noise, because it is the wires that are cracking, not the window.

WHEN THE WINDOW IS STUCK IN THE MIDDLE (step by step way to bring it back up)

1. Let someone hold the window
2. Press the window control to make it go down. (The window will go down with it also.
3. Then Press the window control up. This will loosen up the wires so that you'll be able to move the window up
4. Just keep on doing it over and over again, and then eventually, you'll get the window up.

WHEN THE WINDOW IS STUCK INSIDE THE DOOR

1. Well your sh!t outta luck.
2. You need to take off the door panel (follow my instructions)
3. And lift the window up manually when you have removed all the necessary parts so that you can reach the window (glass)
4. However after you have done that your window will not stay up
5. I suggest using tape.. Masking tape will work fine, however you have to put ALOT on it.


****I AM PRETTY CONFIDENT THESE STEPS WILL WORK, HOWEVER I DO NOT GARAUNTEE ANYTHING, AND I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT MIGHT HAPPEN ON YOUR CARS****

with that said.... good luck!

PM me if you guys have ne more questions

Email is Tommiexboi@gmail.com
__________________

[SOLD] "The OG M Parallel Master" =) ------------------------- [New] 2008 E90 335i "White Monster"

New Pictures 5/22
Window Regulator Write-up (DIY)
tommiexboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 03:09 PM   #103
netengwiz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,118
My Ride: E46 330i
I did this DIY on my front driver and passenger doors. It is pretty straight forward. I did the driver's door yesterday and it took a long time because I was carefully reading the instructions. Today I did the passenger side door without any need to reference the instructions and it took less than an hour.

FYI, I disconnected the negative terminal on my battery before removing the air bags and I didnt have any issues.
__________________


|KW V2|Volk LE37T|Dinan|Eisenmann|Rädenergie|FormulaOne|Stoptech|Evospor t|Eibach|
2010 Audi Q5 Premium Plus S-Line|H&R|
2012 Ducati Streetfighter|Termignoni|DP|Lightech|Rizoma|
netengwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:06 PM   #104
mnice78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: QUEENS
Posts: 211
My Ride: 330ci
I spent the majority of my work day researching the popping noise on the window regulator, great suff ..basically my passenger coupe window is making a popping noise on the way down, not up. oddly, the noise only occurs when i roll the window down from the fully closed position. before i run out and pick up a regulator i am hoping to see if i can remedy this by tightening a bolt or lubing, etc..i have seen a ton of pics regarding the sedan regulators. would anyone have a pic of where the coupe regulator would be located? or a description? im guessing its behind the vapor barrier somewhere, but i dont want to pull all of it off if possible..
mnice78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:54 PM   #105
Saiyan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 47
My Ride: e38
I'm guessing my window regulator went bad today. I lowered my windows before i got into the car like i usually do. then, about one minute later, i tried to auto-up the windows and i heard this weird sound, kind of like glass being crushed and a clicking noise when i wuz holding the power window button. the window moves almost effortlessly when i move it physically. i looked at the window and saw my tint wuz scratched. i tried lifting it up until it stopped, not forcing it. the dealer is going to take care of it. Is this a problem with the window regulator?? i'm just curious so i can know the warning signs for next time. Thanks in advance.
Saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:58 PM   #106
edco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Metuchen, NJ
Posts: 851
My Ride: 2004 325cic 2011 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnice78
I spent the majority of my work day researching the popping noise on the window regulator, great suff ..basically my passenger coupe window is making a popping noise on the way down, not up. oddly, the noise only occurs when i roll the window down from the fully closed position. before i run out and pick up a regulator i am hoping to see if i can remedy this by tightening a bolt or lubing, etc..i have seen a ton of pics regarding the sedan regulators. would anyone have a pic of where the coupe regulator would be located? or a description? im guessing its behind the vapor barrier somewhere, but i dont want to pull all of it off if possible..
I really don't think you have a choice but to completely remove the VB..If you don't pull it all the way off (at least my experience), you are trying to work about the goopy, sticky, black adhesive, It also means you have a greater likelihood of tearing the VP which could end up being a bigger nightmare.. If you are already hearing the popping noise, it's probably too late to do the lube trick (if you back up a few pages you can read my analysis of WHY it happens to begin with, which I believe is simply lubrication drying up).
Anyway, I don't think it matters if its a coupe or sedan, at least based on what I found on the parts website, click LINK


Hope that helps some,
Safe Travels
ED in NJ
edco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 02:09 AM   #107
tommiexboi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 2,929
My Ride: 328i > 335i > M3 cab
Send a message via AIM to tommiexboi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiyan
I'm guessing my window regulator went bad today. I lowered my windows before i got into the car like i usually do. then, about one minute later, i tried to auto-up the windows and i heard this weird sound, kind of like glass being crushed and a clicking noise when i wuz holding the power window button. the window moves almost effortlessly when i move it physically. i looked at the window and saw my tint wuz scratched. i tried lifting it up until it stopped, not forcing it. the dealer is going to take care of it. Is this a problem with the window regulator?? i'm just curious so i can know the warning signs for next time. Thanks in advance.
yes hehe
__________________

[SOLD] "The OG M Parallel Master" =) ------------------------- [New] 2008 E90 335i "White Monster"

New Pictures 5/22
Window Regulator Write-up (DIY)
tommiexboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 02:32 AM   #108
AMG EATER
Senior Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: CA
Posts: 971
My Ride: modded E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiyan
I'm guessing my window regulator went bad today. I lowered my windows before i got into the car like i usually do. then, about one minute later, i tried to auto-up the windows and i heard this weird sound, kind of like glass being crushed and a clicking noise when i wuz holding the power window button. the window moves almost effortlessly when i move it physically. i looked at the window and saw my tint wuz scratched. i tried lifting it up until it stopped, not forcing it. the dealer is going to take care of it. Is this a problem with the window regulator?? i'm just curious so i can know the warning signs for next time. Thanks in advance.
yep and those were the exact symptoms i had-- good luck, if you are not under warranty do it yourself, it ends up being like $78 and knowledge of the car you drive. it was my first major diy! good luck
__________________

my modded sedan
AMG EATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 07:10 PM   #109
mnice78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: QUEENS
Posts: 211
My Ride: 330ci
im trying to get the window regulator off, i believe there are 2 for a front door coupe...i removed the bolts and wiggling the regulator out but it doesnt seem to want to come out. also, what happens to the window when u remove the horizontal metal piece? thanks.
mnice78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 08:42 PM   #110
edco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Metuchen, NJ
Posts: 851
My Ride: 2004 325cic 2011 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnice78
im trying to get the window regulator off, i believe there are 2 for a front door coupe...i removed the bolts and wiggling the regulator out but it doesnt seem to want to come out. also, what happens to the window when u remove the horizontal metal piece? thanks.
First, mine is a sedan, but it doesn't seem to make a difference from what I can see. So sorry if this is redundant. There were THREE bolts holding the electric motor to the regulator (the white gear). There are 2 8MM bolts which tighten clips that hold the glass in place. Now to get to those bolts you have to push the window down about 2/3 down so that the head of the bolt can be seen thru a hole in the cross member. I duct taped the glass to the door (as much as possible !) because if you don't (or have someone who can hold it) it will fall to the bottom ( and could break).It really is BEST if you have a buddy who can hold the glass EVEN WITH the duct tape, because you are going to be putting a lot of pressure on the regulator assembly.

My suggestion is to loosen the 8MM bolts ( a little at a time - you don't want them to come out ). Reach inside and into the bottom of the door and push the BOTTOMs TOWARD THE CENTER, UNTIL you can get one "leg" out(see the red circles i put on the photo below) and you'll get it out..actually putting in the one is a bit tougher...

Now you understand why the WHOLE Vapor Barrier has to come off...

Hope this helps..

Safe Travels
ED in NJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	win reg.JPG
Views:	751
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	130292  

Last edited by edco; 06-10-2005 at 08:46 PM.
edco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 05:11 AM   #111
rrdawho?
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1
My Ride: E36 M3
my question for you, is my friend's window shattered. How the hell do you install the window if its out...getting it on the track is a Žitch!!!
rrdawho? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 03:14 PM   #112
EvilKamote
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bayarea 510
Posts: 465
My Ride: 2K 323i & 96 318is
Send a message via AIM to EvilKamote
Window Stucked!!!

FCUK!!! I think my rear passenger side just broke.. when I tried to roll the window up.. I heard a cracking noise and it stoppe working... the window was stucked about 3/4 high but I tried to pull it up manually and I was able to but it wont close all the way... (about less than 1/2 an inch opening )

my car has an extended warranty through a third party company and I will ask if this is included before doing a DIY. I just wish it is because dealing with
the 3rd party company is always hard and seems imposible to make claims...

hope all will work out for me...
__________________


EvilKamote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:06 AM   #113
tommiexboi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 2,929
My Ride: 328i > 335i > M3 cab
Send a message via AIM to tommiexboi
ur windows not shattered... just do it yourself man! haha
__________________

[SOLD] "The OG M Parallel Master" =) ------------------------- [New] 2008 E90 335i "White Monster"

New Pictures 5/22
Window Regulator Write-up (DIY)
tommiexboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 06:54 PM   #114
edco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Metuchen, NJ
Posts: 851
My Ride: 2004 325cic 2011 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKamote
FCUK!!! I think my rear passenger side just broke.. when I tried to roll the window up.. I heard a cracking noise and it stoppe working... the window was stucked about 3/4 high but I tried to pull it up manually and I was able to but it wont close all the way... (about less than 1/2 an inch opening )

my car has an extended warranty through a third party company and I will ask if this is included before doing a DIY. I just wish it is because dealing with
the 3rd party company is always hard and seems imposible to make claims...

hope all will work out for me...
Yo Bud..
Fear not..If I can do it, ANYONE can do it...just follow tommie box's D-I-Y instructions..it helps to have another set of hands to move the window up or down so the bolt that holds the clip that holds the glass lines up with the hole in the door cross beam..It's an 8MM socket...and the hardest part is separating the glass from the clips..but after that it's really not difficult..

You can do it !
Safe Travels !
ED in NJ
edco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:44 PM   #115
EvilKamote
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bayarea 510
Posts: 465
My Ride: 2K 323i & 96 318is
Send a message via AIM to EvilKamote
Quote:
Originally Posted by edco
Yo Bud..
Fear not..If I can do it, ANYONE can do it...just follow tommie box's D-I-Y instructions..it helps to have another set of hands to move the window up or down so the bolt that holds the clip that holds the glass lines up with the hole in the door cross beam..It's an 8MM socket...and the hardest part is separating the glass from the clips..but after that it's really not difficult..

You can do it !
Safe Travels !
ED in NJ
thanks for the encouragement but I just got my car back for the stealership and turns out that my extended warranty still covers it... so when I went there this morning.. i told them the the rear right window was stucked and the rear left was making some noise ( even though it wasn't ).. I also ask for a lot of small stuff to be done on the car... Stealer changed both window regulators on my rear windows..( it would have cost me well over $400 if it wasn't for the warranty.. ) I only have to pay them $100 plus some changes for my deductable... I also had a rent a car for a day ( they run out of loaner cars ).

Thanks
__________________


EvilKamote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:42 PM   #116
trapt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Riverside CA, socal
Posts: 179
My Ride: 2000 323i alpine
did this today, oh man, it took a while cuz i was dumb and didnt pay attention the 1st time, but its nice to know i saved $200. 1 lil problem tho, my window sits higher now when all the way down, u cant see it, but its basically level with the lil weather things...i dunno how else to describe it. did anyone else have this problem? if so what can i do about it? I'll live w/ it but j/w
__________________
trapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 02:11 AM   #117
ideal_vx6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 186
My Ride: 2.8L
Send a message via AIM to ideal_vx6
errrg... scared to mess with the windows. front passenger side makes a crazy cracking sound on the way down, and goes up really slow.
ideal_vx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:24 AM   #118
mperfct
dot eleven N for the win
 
mperfct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The OP, 913 style
Posts: 1,602
My Ride: 97 M3
Send a message via AIM to mperfct Send a message via MSN to mperfct Send a message via Yahoo to mperfct
mine does too occasionally. Both my fronts are like this. If I inch them down for the first 1/2 inch or so they go down smooth. It's almost like the window gets angled funny in the track and then snaps back in place.

It's been like that for almost 2 years, so I'm not messing with it until it actually fails.
__________________
Chris


My home theatre thread



Audi A6 4.2
mperfct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:19 PM   #119
dokedoke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Va/Nc
Posts: 36
My Ride: 2001 Black 330ci
Send a message via AIM to dokedoke
what does everyone use to help seal it since the "sticky stuff" gets ripped off in some places?
dokedoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:31 PM   #120
edco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Metuchen, NJ
Posts: 851
My Ride: 2004 325cic 2011 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX
mine does too occasionally. Both my fronts are like this. If I inch them down for the first 1/2 inch or so they go down smooth. It's almost like the window gets angled funny in the track and then snaps back in place.

It's been like that for almost 2 years, so I'm not messing with it until it actually fails.
One man's opinion..disregard if you wish, BUT I wouldn't wait..It will happen at the WORST possible moment..You and your significant other are dressed to the nines, heading to a wedding or a party, and the window goes down, won't go back up and it's raining and the wind is blowing and well..That's just the way it just ALWAYS happens to ME

The first front one will take you 2 hours..because you will be extra careful and fiddle with getting the old one out and the new one in..the other side will be done in half the time because you have overcome your fears..

And it really is easy..and I am the LEAST technical person around here..
The hardest part (IMHO) is getting the vapor barrier off in one piece...

Just take your time, and if you run into trouble come back here and we'll help walk you through it..or spend the cash and have someone else do it..but waiting for it to fail (and it might NEVER !!) is probably a risk you should think real hard about..(especially when it really is sooooo easy to do..)

Let me know if I can help...

ED in NJ
edco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use