E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #21
ReIntegration

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to ReIntegration
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaravensCourt34 View Post
elaborate on what that is
This.
Attached Images

2003 330Ci (Current - Born on 1.10.03)(Had it since new born. Delivered from Regensburg on 2.24.03)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordecai
Ready to get destroyed?
ReIntegration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:10 PM   #22
JapanRot325ci

My Ride: '04 M54b25Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
Stop with the plasti-dip. It sucks. It doesn't stick, it fades in a few months and it doesn't peel off as easily as the magazines and car shows try to convince you. You'll be there for hours trying to get all the little specks off. I allowed myself to be suckered into this stupid plasti-dip fad and I've regretted every second of it since. I can only imagine it was conjured up by a bunch of high school kids trying to con their parents into "painting" their cars. "But MOM! It peels right off!!!" Yeah right.

Leave the plasti-dip for the tools.
this. i plastidipped my coupe windows trim from chrome to black plasitdip.

at first i was excited because of all the video i've seen on how it's sooooooo easily to apply and peel off.

applying is the easy part, just spray light coat and coat it 6-7 times,

but to be honest i coated my windows trims and side mirrors a good 2 cans (9 coats) and i tried to feel it last week...omg it was horrible! it would peel for an inch then rip off and so on. had to use bug and tar remover and spray then rub to get the plastidip off the edges and grooves. not worth the money and time
Old 06-09-2014, 09:51 AM   #23
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
I have told you kids for years to NOT plasti-dip your stuff

lol
Old 06-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #24
SOMT

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Stop with the plasti-dip. It sucks. It doesn't stick, it fades in a few months and it doesn't peel off as easily as the magazines and car shows try to convince you. You'll be there for hours trying to get all the little specks off. I allowed myself to be suckered into this stupid plasti-dip fad and I've regretted every second of it since. I can only imagine it was conjured up by a bunch of high school kids trying to con their parents into "painting" their cars. "But MOM! It peels right off!!!" Yeah right.

This guy knows.
I've been suckered before as well. I even sprayed a friends whole car. Especially with the wheels you have, you'll regret it pretty fast when the time comes to remove it.
SOMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #25
Solo118

My Ride: '12 MDX, '03 CLK500
Send a message via AIM to Solo118
Dont do it, many of us (myself including) would kill for a set of style 71s!

Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:39 PM   #26
davehigg

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:

False... I have it all over my 330i and it looks great!! have had it on there for 9 months and has not faded. i have taken it off my door handles and it came right off. for the little overspray specs all you need is goof off. I was looking for a way to hide the curb rubs on my rims too and it worked great!!
davehigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:54 PM   #27
SOMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehigg View Post
False... I have it all over my 330i and it looks great!! have had it on there for 9 months and has not faded. i have taken it off my door handles and it came right off. for the little overspray specs all you need is goof off. I was looking for a way to hide the curb rubs on my rims too and it worked great!!
Soooo... Tool? (kidding)
You must not live in the south, or a place that has high temps and scolding sun?
I've sprayed 2 whole cars and plenty of wheels and trim pieces for people and every time I've always wondered why they wanted it done. It's a nightmare, but they paid me to do it so eh.

Edit, I see you are in Oklahoma. You do get sun there but I wouldn't compare it Florida at all. Maybe different climates affect plastidip differently.

Last edited by SOMT; 06-10-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #28
JapanRot325ci

My Ride: '04 M54b25Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehigg View Post
door handles...wait until you start peeling around the windows trims, tunk handle and such
Old 06-09-2014, 11:13 PM   #29
jmillsner

My Ride: 330Ci 6 Spd, 335Cic
i agree, leave it. those wheels go great with the black, and it looks like your paint is in good condition
jmillsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #30
/\/\III

My Ride: /\/\ III
Just add a silver pin stripe and keep it moving...car looks clean as is.
/\/\III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #31
Swater330i

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i 5MT
Take advantage of our DIY section and fix the wheel yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureSubie View Post
IMO, the euro clear corners looks too aftermarket/ricey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davconelectric View Post
This 323 would most likely handle and drive better than a stock e46 m3.
Swater330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:24 AM   #32
-lynel-

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
spraying plastidip is a mixed bag. The only examples wherethe product has lived up to the hype is the stuff applied by spray gun, not the pressure pack stuff. Its not exactly the same. Also I wouldn't ever spray it no something im going to touch. I think I out do both of you living in queensland Australia and my matt dip hsnt faded or discoloured at all. hasn't peeled and looks great but its only on the exterior trims I don't touch, like door mouldings and grill. I don't think it would hold up to the sweat and wear and tear from touching and using like ddoor handles and what not
-lynel- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:21 AM   #33
Antiviruz42

My Ride: 2003 ///M3 Wrapped
I bought a set of extra wheels from a guy who plasti dipped them white. They looked pretty good since he glossed them after. Ive worked with dip a bunch and even fully dipped my last car. Some parts are ridiculous to get off others not so bad. When I went to take the white off OMG it had almost meshed with the wheel itself and I couldnt remove it. Had to use Aircraft remover and other powerful stuff. Ended up taking off the clear coat on the rims and all the way down to the metal. After some all day sanding and damage control I re dipped them black so that they dont look horrible. They fade over time with all the dressings I put on em but it works. DEF CANT BEAT A NICE POWDERCOATED OR FACTORY FINISH. These will be winter wheels now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10285112_10152025633912693_4372082677415786976_o.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	561739  
Old 06-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #34
lllRazorlll

My Ride: '00 328i
Leave as-is. Your car is a dark color and needs contrast which is done by the rims, window trim, lights, and kidney grilles if they're chrome.
lllRazorlll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:37 PM   #35
martiane46

My Ride: 307
go black its plasti dip if you dont like it comes of easy without damaging the wheels
martiane46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:16 AM   #36
Gary@Tirerack

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3
From the distance you took the photo from, the wheels look great as is.

Click sig! -->

Gary@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:50 PM   #37
dragondrpr

My Ride: 03 325xi
Ever seen the average person use a spray can....?....then you know the reason for the plastidip fail ..practice , practice, practice

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
dragondrpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:19 PM   #38
SOMT

Although that's possible, its not the reason for so much failure. The product itself is meant to be self leveling. Meaning even a fairly shitty job will come out alright. I

Its just no bueno.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:04 PM   #39
dragondrpr

My Ride: 03 325xi
I never had a problem ...but I was always good with a spray can...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
dragondrpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:43 AM   #40
Antiviruz42

My Ride: 2003 ///M3 Wrapped
Heat it up under warm water. Much better coverage. Rims have to be completely clean. 7-8 lighter coats