E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 04:31 PM   #41
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post

And civilian at walmart was CCW. There goes the good guy gun theory.
I would argue that the armed citizen who engaged the shooters likely saved many lives with his actions that day.

Most active shooters have some fantasy that has been role played in their head or written out as a script. Most of the time that script ends with the shooter killing themselves. It's not by accident that the police protocol to deal with these guys are to engage them as quickly as possible. Police have learned that these people realize the only thing they really have control over is taking their own lives. Authorities have also learned that the within seconds of being engaged by police, these shooters often take their own lives. So the sooner they get engaged by someone who may take that control away from them, the sooner they take themselves out.

The armed citizen, by exchanging fire with them, may have triggered the suicide part of their plan. Without any opposing force, the shooters may have decided to start a turkey shoot in an unarmed walmart.

Of course this is speculation, but it is also speculation based on current police protocol and why that protocol exists.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #42
ghorn

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post

Response to be expected.

I'll touch base on this this evening when I'm off work.
Ad hom, to be expected...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.

Last edited by ghorn; 06-09-2014 at 04:35 PM.
ghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #43
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Nor have I (personally). Quote me when I spoke of starting one.

Go

Quote:
Revolution time yet?
You don't have to be that explicit.

Last edited by 'busa; 06-09-2014 at 04:37 PM.
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:39 PM   #44
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
I would argue that the armed citizen who engaged the shooters likely saved many lives with his actions that day.

Most active shooters have some fantasy that has been role played in their head or written out as a script. Most of the time that script ends with the shooter killing themselves. It's not by accident that the police protocol to deal with these guys are to engage them as quickly as possible. Police have learned that these people realize the only thing they really have control over is taking their own lives. Authorities have also learned that the within seconds of being engaged by police, these shooters often take their own lives. So the sooner they get engaged by someone who may take that control away from them, the sooner they take themselves out.

The armed citizen, by exchanging fire with them, may have triggered the suicide part of their plan. Without any opposing force, the shooters may have decided to start a turkey shoot in an unarmed walmart.

Of course this is speculation, but it is also speculation based on current police protocol and why that protocol exists.
NBC, at least, is reporting that the suspects engaged in a firefight with police, were wounded, and then killed themselves.

CCW guy only accomplished getting himself killed. Even when you are carrying, the point is to use this element of surprise to save your own life. We don't know if he was attempting to save his life when he drew his weapon, or if he was being a 'hero,' prob will never know.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:44 PM   #45
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Seems to be lots of different information out there. No big surprise considering the type of prying investigatory work the media does before reporting. Some reports say citizen exchanged fire with them, and then the crazies went into the back of the store and offed themselves.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #46
phrozen06

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Two officers were shot by the gunmen -- a man and a woman -- as they ate lunch at CiCi's Pizza, it said, citing police sources. One of the officers died at the scene, while the second subsequently died in surgery.
Two good guys with guns couldn't stop 2 bad guys with guns.

phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:47 PM   #47
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
name one good reason that a person needs a gun? nothing? that's what i thought. ban guns
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #48
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
Two good guys with guns couldn't stop 2 bad guys with guns.
The person with the element of surprise generally wins. One person could have a pocket knife while another was armed with a handgun, a pistol, a rocket launcher, and a grenade. If the guy with the knife killed them before they recognized he was a threat, however, none of their much more "dangerous" weapons would have much of a chance to do anything about it, much less stop the attacker.
Wraisil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #49
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Just read a more recent report on the shooting. Looks like I got the details wrong on the concealed carrier.

Guess he heard the shooting up front and decided to confront the gunman and his wife. Got up front with his gun drawn and had the guy cornered, but didn't expect the woman. She pulled out a gun when he wasn't expecting it and shot him.

The guy died trying to defend the lives of those in the store and his own. He's a hero for trying. We as concealed carry guys are taught not to do this stuff, to not put ourselves in harms way and to not play Rambo/hero. We all hope to avoid/run/flee and use the gun as a last resort.

But there are times when in the moment, courage of those that can act is required. This guy didn't know what was happening, but they could easily have been shooting everyone in sight. He was the only one at the time that was capable of trying to act and save lives and he took it upon himself to try. It's unfortunate he perished in the attempt. Honestly, he should have just shot the gunman the second he had him in his sights and dealt with her immediately afterward if necessary.

We can all Monday morning QB him, but we weren't there. Rip

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #50
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
name one good reason that a person needs a gun? nothing? that's what i thought. ban guns
Hunting, pleasure/competition shooting, self-defense, defense of family, defense of other innocents, and (in extreme cases) to throw off an unwanted government.
Wraisil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #51
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Easier than learning German

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #52
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
The guns is waging war on media owners
Old 06-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #53
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Easier than learning German
Obama is German?
Old 06-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #54
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
duh

Old 06-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #55
217Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraisil View Post
Hunting, pleasure/competition shooting, self-defense, defense of family, defense of other innocents, and (in extreme cases) to throw off an unwanted government.
killing, destroying, killing, killing, killing, killing
Old 06-09-2014, 05:26 PM   #56
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i

For some reason, this came to mind.....

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:26 PM   #57
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
killing, destroying, killing, killing, killing, killing
We're animals. Where do you think that delicious hamburger you ate came from? Hugs and high fives? Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 06-09-2014 at 05:27 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #58
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
^

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #59
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
The grocery store STUPID
Old 06-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #60
217Bimmer

Quote:
I'm beginning to see your point. Guns are very dangerous and should only be in the hands of trained professionals such as army, police, and myself.
agreed