E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 01:28 PM   #21
///A

My Ride: e92 335is JB4
Da Silvano in the Village, or Bar Pitti next door. Weather should be nice, so you can opt to sit outside.

Last edited by ///A; 06-10-2014 at 01:31 PM.
///A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #22
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
Volume.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Vega View Post
I don't mean to belittle your argument, but the fact is NYC runs on volume to pay those bills. Yes they are more expensive than most places, but the fact is the overhead gets paid by the huge population of people, and faster service.

^ dat ***** beat me, you know why? NY has faster service, proving my point.
LOL @ a NY restaurant doing 10x the volume of a downtown restaurant in another city.

I'm sure there are huge variances in customers/hr across the industry and around the country. But if 2 restaurants seat 750 people a night for dinner, and one of them has a $10,000/month rent space and the other has a $3,000/month rent space, which do you think is going to have higher prices?

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #23
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
LOL @ a NY restaurant doing 10x the volume of a downtown restaurant in another city.

I'm sure there are huge variances in customers/hr across the industry and around the country. But if 2 restaurants seat 750 people a night for dinner, and one of them has a $10,000/month rent space and the other has a $3,000/month rent space, which do you think is going to have higher prices?
Get some real figures and then we'll talk. You're pulling numbers out of the air.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:45 PM   #24
///A

Price is inflated because rent is inflated. No restaurateur in Manhattan could afford to stay in business if they charge the same price for the same item as the store in the middle of nowhere. Especially with the price of commodities in the food industry increasing outrageously, the price will always be higher in Manhattan.

Volume items like your cup of joe would not be too inflated because your chances of customers are greatly increased by the amount of foot traffic.

Last edited by ///A; 06-10-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #25
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
Get some real figures and then we'll talk. You're pulling numbers out of the air.
Was that your response to 217Bimmer's claim?

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:58 AM   #26
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Dont waste your money on high end sh!t. It's a waste. Enjoy the good NY food....get the cheap stuff from all nationalities. Lombardis or Keste for higher end pizza, grab some street slices, get some street meat from the carts, some noodles at a noodle bar, etc. Stay away from high priced restaurants, you WILL leave disappointed.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #27
Vinnie Vega

My Ride: 0032870Vette70Velle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post

Watch the soup nazi episode of seinfeld.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #28
///A

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Dont waste your money on high end sh!t. It's a waste. Enjoy the good NY food....get the cheap stuff from all nationalities. Lombardis or Keste for higher end pizza, grab some street slices, get some street meat from the carts, some noodles at a noodle bar, etc. Stay away from high priced restaurants, you WILL leave disappointed.
I guess this is where we disagree. I don't feel it as wasting money unless you're there only for the food. When I go to Per Se or EMP, I am there for the experience, to be entertained by an internationally renowned restaurant. I am there to exhibit a chef's work and be treated exceptionally. That is why it's called culinary art. The chef is the artist and you are purchasing their artwork to admire. It would be no different than purchasing an artwork just because "it looks good." It's the appreciation for the training and creativity that you're paying for. I'm sure you know what I'm speaking in regards to, since we both are in the same industry.

Last edited by ///A; 06-11-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #29
Volvoguy

My Ride: IS300;Volvo s60T;
Quote:
Unless it's sushi, based on my experience, high end sushi places typically is worth it's weight in gold.

So, just to give you guys some resolution, I decided on Otto. Going to fat cats after wards to round out the evening with cocktails and billards/shuffle puck.

Maybe get some physical activity afterwards Jk, don't want to ruin it by putting the cart before the horse.

Thanks again everyone.

Out of curiosity, NFRS, what are your thoughts on Otto?
Old 06-11-2014, 12:10 PM   #30
TIHZ TA3

My Ride: Elise SC
So you're a beta
Old 06-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #31
GasKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvoguy View Post
Unless it's sushi, based on my experience, high end sushi places typically is worth it's weight in gold.

So, just to give you guys some resolution, I decided on Otto. Going to fat cats after wards to round out the evening with cocktails and billards/shuffle puck.

Maybe get some physical activity afterwards Jk, don't want to ruin it by putting the cart before the horse.

Thanks again everyone.

Not in my experience. And don't be beetch, get it in.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #32
GasKing

If you want a good Neapolitan pizza check out Don Antonios on W 50th st. Good stuff.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #33
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///A View Post
I guess this is where we disagree. I don't feel it as wasting money unless you're there only for the food. When I go to Per Se or EMP, I am there for the experience, to be entertained by an internationally renowned restaurant. I am there to exhibit a chef's work and be treated exceptionally. That is why it's called culinary art. The chef is the artist and you are purchasing their artwork to admire. It would be no different than purchasing an artwork just because "it looks good." It's the appreciation for the training and creativity that you're paying for. I'm sure you know what I'm speaking in regards to, since we both are in the same industry.
The vibe is stuffy. The crowd is stuffy. The chefs haven't been there (cooked) in ages. IMHO, as a tourist, I don't usually visit the high end stuff. Not because I can't afford it, but because I get a better taste of the local stuff. Im more of the diner's drive-ins and dives guy...local joints that make awesome food...and this is coming from a guy that used to eat at Nobu on a tuesday and that hung out with Eric Ripert and Scott Brian on a weekly basis. High end restaurants are available all over the world....from NY to LA to Miami, etc. The local joints IMHO is where it's at.

I will agree with you that these restaurants have a time and a place (anniversary or whatever) but a fun evening out? Not for me.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #34
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvoguy View Post

Thanks again everyone.

Sushi is a bit tricky...the quality of fish does NOT reflect in the price. I've eaten at Yasuda a number of times, and at Masa once (someone else's dime of course ) and my go to place for my sushi fix is still yama. Huge hunks of super fresh sushi (they own their own fish market and supply a lot of the higher end places with their fish) at VERY VERY VERY reasonable prices. Blue ribbon is pretty good as well. Unfortunately, I have never eaten at Otto, so I can't comment on it.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #35
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
Hey OP, I'm looking forward to your 3rd date ring suggestions thread.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
MorganFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #36
Volvoguy

My Ride: IS300;Volvo s60T;
Quote:
Sushi is a bit tricky...the quality of fish does NOT reflect in the price. I've eaten at Yasuda a number of times, and at Masa once (someone else's dime of course ) and my go to place for my sushi fix is still yama. Huge hunks of super fresh sushi (they own their own fish market and supply a lot of the higher end places with their fish) at VERY VERY VERY reasonable prices. Blue ribbon is pretty good as well. Unfortunately, I have never eaten at Otto, so I can't comment on it.
You seem to know all of the value priced restaurants with the most bang for the buck.

I will definitely try Yama, photos looks amazing.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #37
dragondrpr

My Ride: 03 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Man, this is why I hate nyc. I can tell that dinner is costing you $250.
you can get a hot call girl for the price of diner ...lol

dragondrpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #38
NFRs2000nyc

I eat at the gramercy location.
http://www.zagat.com/r/yama-new-york1

Careful though...unless you eat there at 5pm (right when they open) expect to wait, and wait a while. Also, it is a very intimate squeeze. The place is small, and you are going there for the food, NOT for the ambiance. If you want a "romantic" or low key dinner, this isn't the place.

Colicchio and son's has good food as well (much more pricy.) The meatball shop is a cool late night joint...

http://themeatballshop.com/

Make sure you eat at a good Halal cart...have some beer in you, they taste even better.

Blue Ribbon (not Blue Ribbon Sushi, although it's next door) is a great place to eat a really late dinner (1am+). After midnight, their menu is designed for chefs that get off work, so you'll see escargot, fried chicken, etc...random stuff that chefs love to eat.

If you are in the area, grab a pie at Lombardi's and eat it outside. Don't waste your time waiting the 2 hours to sit down. Keste is great high end pizza if you want a nicer ambience. Then there's the staple locations like Katz's deli, 2nd ave deli, etc....if you want the jewish deli pastrami/corned beef stuff. A dirty water dog to me is often just as satisfying as a 7 course dinner at Le Bernadin.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #39
GasKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganFreeman View Post

Old 06-11-2014, 01:40 PM   #40
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganFreeman View Post

"Going for third date! Should I charter a jet to take us to Monaco or Paris?"

Last edited by SamDoe1; 06-11-2014 at 01:40 PM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote