E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #21
choxor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,438
My Ride: JDM
How long does it take them to get tenure.
__________________
choxor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #22
ImPulSe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NYC & Long Island
Posts: 751
My Ride: Bentley GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
If you live here in NY, you basically have to get on line to get a teaching job. Highly desirable, unreal competition.
Yea but its mostly 24-29 year old single, women that are horrible at everything.
ImPulSe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #23
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPulSe View Post
Yea but its mostly 24-29 year old single, women that are horrible at everything.
haha, very true
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #24
TIHZ TA3
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 19
My Ride: Elise SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
ITT: Capitalists complaining about other capitalists because they're teachers.
Capitalism: public servants holding positions that cannot be terminated
__________________
http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s408/optionlessm/42cd2cd2-d91a-436a-b27f-8e970662def4_zps0b7a91a1.jpg
TIHZ TA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #25
ImPulSe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NYC & Long Island
Posts: 751
My Ride: Bentley GT
The oldest profession is prostitution... That's all I have to say.
ImPulSe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #26
VaderDave
Invictus
 
VaderDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Posts: 11,898
My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
I keep hearing the same old canard about how "tenure allows teachers to advocate for students without fear of termination." Is there any evidence that teachers actually do this? What does "advocate for students" even mean?

The judge appeared to find that the opposite appears to be occurring--teachers are doing very little advocating for students, but a whole lot of advocating for themselves and their own interests, often at the expense of students.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:30 PM   #27
ghorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L.A.
Posts: 400
My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
I keep hearing the same old canard about how "tenure allows teachers to advocate for students without fear of termination." Is there any evidence that teachers actually do this? What does "advocate for students" even mean?

The judge appeared to find that the opposite appears to be occurring--teachers are doing very little advocating for students, but a whole lot of advocating for themselves and their own interests, often at the expense of students.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:24 PM   #28
Lair
Modded ///Member
 
Lair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sea level
Posts: 321
My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIHZ TA3 View Post
Capitalism: public servants holding positions that cannot be terminated
I got mine, and you can't take it from me - the epitome of capitalism.
__________________

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #29
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
I got mine, and you can't take it from me - the epitome of capitalism.
How's your company doing, hypocrite? Still allowing you to hobby race around girl cars on the weekends?
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #30
Lair
Modded ///Member
 
Lair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sea level
Posts: 321
My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
How's your company doing, hypocrite? Still allowing you to hobby race around girl cars on the weekends?
It's doing well. Thanks for asking.

How's the Altima running?
__________________

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #31
TIHZ TA3
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 19
My Ride: Elise SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
I got mine, and I better stay sharp because there is no "tenure" in the real world preventing you from taking it from me - the epitome of capitalism.
Fixed. For people who are interested in being correct.
__________________
http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s408/optionlessm/42cd2cd2-d91a-436a-b27f-8e970662def4_zps0b7a91a1.jpg
TIHZ TA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:43 PM   #32
Lair
Modded ///Member
 
Lair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sea level
Posts: 321
My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIHZ TA3 View Post
Fixed. For people who are interested in being correct.
Tenure - part of a profession that gives you the ability to get yours and keep it.

Capitalism in its purest form.
__________________

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:22 PM   #33
alphawhiskey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tango
Posts: 18
My Ride: Foxtrot
My mother is a teacher, and has worked hard all her life to earn tenure. She actually works at home to prepare lessons, and put in MANY unpaid hours. She's a good teacher, but the kids are just horrible people. They lie, cheat, steal, and make things up about the teachers. I can't even count how many times the kids have lied simply because the teacher punished them for talking/texting during class. As a teacher, you pretty much can't punish any students without dealing with retribution.

Recently, the school administration has been trying to force all the teachers with tenure to retire. They do this by flat-out lying on evaluations, and saying they are doing a poor job when they aren't. They literally said some materials weren't covered in the class, and gave a poor report, when those materials were covered days before they came to evaluate the class.

It's essentially a scam to get teachers to quit, and to try to deny them their benefits. It actually worked and forced my mom to retire. She was afraid that if they gave her another poor mark, they could somehow deny her benefits which would have gone throughout her retirement. It's happened to other teachers who have worked their entire lives for it. A fellow teacher even told her to prepare to fight for her benefits.

While I am generally against unions, tenure, etc. in general, from what I have seen with the CA school system, a lot of teachers are the victims. And that's not just bias coming because it's my mother. I've read over the reports and evaluations, and they are complete BS. They are trying to get younger teachers in, who will work for less, and won't have as many benefits. That's all this is.

Last edited by alphawhiskey; 06-11-2014 at 09:25 PM.
alphawhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:29 PM   #34
choxor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,438
My Ride: JDM
In CA it takes a whopping 18 months to get tenured???

That's some gravy sht right there.
__________________
choxor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:56 PM   #35
VaderDave
Invictus
 
VaderDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Posts: 11,898
My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawhiskey View Post
My mother is a teacher, and has worked hard all her life to earn tenure. She actually works at home to prepare lessons, and put in MANY unpaid hours. She's a good teacher, but the kids are just horrible people. They lie, cheat, steal, and make things up about the teachers. I can't even count how many times the kids have lied simply because the teacher punished them for talking/texting during class. As a teacher, you pretty much can't punish any students without dealing with retribution.

Recently, the school administration has been trying to force all the teachers with tenure to retire. They do this by flat-out lying on evaluations, and saying they are doing a poor job when they aren't. They literally said some materials weren't covered in the class, and gave a poor report, when those materials were covered days before they came to evaluate the class.

It's essentially a scam to get teachers to quit, and to try to deny them their benefits. It actually worked and forced my mom to retire. She was afraid that if they gave her another poor mark, they could somehow deny her benefits which would have gone throughout her retirement. It's happened to other teachers who have worked their entire lives for it. A fellow teacher even told her to prepare to fight for her benefits.

While I am generally against unions, tenure, etc. in general, from what I have seen with the CA school system, a lot of teachers are the victims. And that's not just bias coming because it's my mother. I've read over the reports and evaluations, and they are complete BS. They are trying to get younger teachers in, who will work for less, and won't have as many benefits. That's all this is.
Which reports and which evaluations? The ones of your mother? Or other more general reports about this situation?

What makes them complete BS?
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:11 PM   #36
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
In CA it takes a whopping 18 months to get tenured???

That's some gravy sht right there.
sheet, I can trick a girl into thinking I am a good boyfriend for 18 months. I thought 3 years here in NY was ridiculous
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #37
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,891
My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
ITT: Capitalists complaining about other capitalists because they're teachers.
Oh the irony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
I worked for a small (17 locations) SE corporation when I was a kid. It was one of the best experiences of my life. They paid me well, gave me a turkey and a ham and a $100 gift certificate every xmas, and treated me like family. If I needed to make a major purchase and didn't have the cash, they'd issue a PO for whatever I needed and then cut it out of my paycheck in small in increments. They took us all to lunch once a week, and once a month they'd treat us all to dinner at a decent restaurant. They let me use the shop after hours to work on my cars, and even arranged my first car loan for me. I enjoyed every single moment during my time there, and I never dreaded going to work.

My only regret is that I didn't spend more of my free time with them, because they made me who I am today. Five years into my tenure with them, they were snapped up by a huge national company, who proceeded to turn the entire operation into shlt. I spent a year in management with them before I got fed up and left to start my own business.
__________________
Quote:
Base Salary - $174,000 a year
Perks - Certain exemptions of law while in service, include tax subsidies
Sick Days - Unlimited
Working Days in 2013 - 159
Accountability for poor performance - None
Healthcare - Top notch

Want to complain about entitlements.....start with Congress.

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 06-11-2014 at 10:25 PM.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #38
Lair
Modded ///Member
 
Lair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sea level
Posts: 321
My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Oh the irony.
What's ironic?


The lack of decent companies to work for, or the attempts by the capitalist party to beat down other capitalists who had the brains/balls to seize an employment opportunity that includes tenure?
__________________

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #39
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 893
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
What's ironic?


The lack of decent companies to work for, or the attempts by the capitalist party to beat down other capitalists who had the brains/balls to seize an employment opportunity that includes tenure?
Public sector jobs equal capitalism....there might be elevated levels of radon at your place.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #40
Volvoguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Nyc
Posts: 18
My Ride: IS300;Volvo s60T;
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
I keep hearing the same old canard about how "tenure allows teachers to advocate for students without fear of termination." Is there any evidence that teachers actually do this? What does "advocate for students" even mean?

The judge appeared to find that the opposite appears to be occurring--teachers are doing very little advocating for students, but a whole lot of advocating for themselves and their own interests, often at the expense of students.
Good word choice.
__________________
Volvoguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use