E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #21
mash20
Is not Persian

My Ride: '01 TiAg M3 Vert
I think we should bring back the term Chinaman.

Last edited by my ass; Yesterday at 11:15 PM.
mash20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #22
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Show me View Post
Good point on the slur, as it likely always has been. Then again, maybe so has redskin, but because we only have accounts written by white people, there's little to tell us if the target group was offended in the 19th century.

IHMO it's much less acceptable today, as people outside the group will be more likely to be offended by hearing it, vs. 100 years ago when they were more likely to be using it. There are groups within society where it's become the norm, but I'm referring to society as a whole.
I disagree. I think it's more acceptable today, but only because it's meaning and intent have changed over time.

Which of course brings up the whole question of "who gets to decide if a term is offensive?" for society.

The majority in the targeted group? In this case, there's evidence that most Indians are not offended by Redskins. So does that mean it's not offensive?

Anyone in the targeted group? I'd bet that in any decent sized population, we could find one person that's offended by anything. I am of Irish descent. If I alone find the Fighting Irish mascot offensive, is Notre Dame obligated to change it?

The majority in society? Certainly for many decades, the majority in society found nothing offensive about any term leavened against racial, religious and other minorities. So the wisdom of the majority doesn't have a great track record.

Anyone in society? That's a can of friggin worms.

Solly mentioned someone's white upbringing. Solly himself is pretty darn white, but he's also a smart guy that's been around the block a few times. There are plenty of situations where Solly might be a disinterested 3rd party observer to a situation, but still be able to recognize one party that was being derogatory towards another. And he might rightfully find that offensive to his own values. But should he intervene? What if the 2 parties he's observing don't find it offensive? What is Solly's opinion worth relative to theirs? Is it worth less because he's not directly involved? Or is it worth more because he's more objective since he's not the one being derogatory or being treated derogatorily?

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #23
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash20 View Post
I think we should ban the terms Englishman and Frenchman.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #24
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #25
ghorn

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash20 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #26
yousharenow

My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Does anyone honestly care? Is anyone that bothered by it?
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #27
GRIFFIN
NWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousharenow View Post
people with too much time on their hands.

*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
Quote:
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
Old 06-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #28
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousharenow View Post
You don't get it. White people don't care, native americans do. That's all that matters.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #29
Show me

My Ride: 330 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
I disagree. I think it's more acceptable today, but only because it's meaning and intent have changed over time.

Which of course brings up the whole question of "who gets to decide if a term is offensive?" for society.

The majority in the targeted group? In this case, there's evidence that most Indians are not offended by Redskins. So does that mean it's not offensive?

Anyone in the targeted group? I'd bet that in any decent sized population, we could find one person that's offended by anything. I am of Irish descent. If I alone find the Fighting Irish mascot offensive, is Notre Dame obligated to change it?

The majority in society? Certainly for many decades, the majority in society found nothing offensive about any term leavened against racial, religious and other minorities. So the wisdom of the majority doesn't have a great track record.

Solly mentioned someone's white upbringing. Solly himself is pretty darn white, but he's also a smart guy that's been around the block a few times. There are plenty of situations where Solly might be a disinterested 3rd party observer to a situation, but still be able to recognize one party that was being derogatory towards another. And he might rightfully find that offensive to his own values. But should he intervene? What if the 2 parties he's observing don't find it offensive? What is Solly's opinion worth relative to theirs? Is it worth less because he's not directly involved? Or is it worth more because he's more objective since he's not the one being derogatory or being treated derogatorily?
You ask all the right questions, and we can agree to disagree on how currently acceptable the N-word is. Now, if only you and I could answer all those questions...

A big point in the debate seems to be whether, or what percentage of, Natives find the term offensive. That, we'll likely never know. Reservations are sovereign nations, so we can't make them vote on it. There are far too many tribes to get a straight answer, anyway, so even if we're only hearing the vocal minority, that's all we'll get. Honestly, though, isn't the vocal minority all we ever get in a situation like this?
Show me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #30
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Vocal minority of uptight vaginas.

Lighten up, Francis.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #31
GRIFFIN
NWS

*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
Quote:
Old 06-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #32
ThaHooch

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
You don't get it. White people don't care, native americans do. That's all that matters.
Only a small minority. Why do schools on reservations have Redskins as their mascot if it's so offensive?

** Political sig removed **
ThaHooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:39 PM   #33
GRIFFIN
NWS

Quote:
When was the last time you saw a native american in person?

*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
Quote:
Old 06-11-2014, 01:47 PM   #34
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post

don't even bring native american imagery into this

my school was forced to get rid of this Chief

but FSU can keep this flaming spear chucker?

FVCK you ncaa!

Quote:
You don't get it. Native american people don't care, white hipster liberal douches do. That's all that apparently matters.
FIFY

Last edited by 217Bimmer; 06-11-2014 at 01:49 PM.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #35
GRIFFIN
NWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
don't even bring native american imagery into this

my school was forced to get rid of this Chief

but FSU can keep this flaming speak chucker?

FVCK you ncaa!

FIFY

my high school mascot was the warrior

and of course UCSB.

*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
Quote:
Old 06-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #36
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
looks like a superhero. what kind of warrior is that?

and the gouchos lol
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #37
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
They name their own teams the redskins lol... Wait, is it "their" word now?

I'm pretty sure people have no clue about the origin and use of the word and are just shooting from the hip and hoping for the best.

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #38
bagher

My Ride: Neocon outrage
Send a message via AIM to bagher Send a message via Skype™ to bagher
bagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #39
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Quote:
Originally Posted by Show me View Post
Racial slur as a team name is a lot different than Oklahoma.

The Blackhawks have been under pressure for years to change their name, just like the Cleveland Indians (although, both mostly for their mascot/logo). This is not some "slippery slope" argument - no other race would have a team named after a slur. No Detroit N**gers. No San Antonio S*ics. No way the nation's capital should have a team using that name.
Actually, since Oklahoma was named by a Spanish explorer(White, or as I like to be called "European American") specifically because so many Native Americans were there, it kind of is the exact same thing.

And it is a slippery slope argument. The moment you force a private business to change their name or any other part because something offends a few people, it sets a precedence.

EDIT: Oh, and my wife is part Native American, and proud of her heritage. She is not offended in the slightest by the name. She is actually more offended that her people are being used to make this change, because a small subset are upset.

And for your bolded point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...d_mascot_names

Knicks, Vikings, Aztecs, Eskimos, Canucks, and many other names. Most used to project power and prowess, not to insult or offend.

2002 M3

Last edited by kaput; 06-11-2014 at 03:25 PM.
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #40
bry330i

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
x2
bry330i is offline   Reply With Quote