E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #21
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPulSe View Post
Really? http://www.techshout.com/alternative...o-alternative/

Some people find the GoPro to be too expensive.

I own 2 GoPros but honestly would have NEVER purchased them if I knew about all the missing frames, mounts, LCD bacpacks, etc that I had to purchase to get the camera I needed. Everything about GoPro is "here add this" to make it better.

Just give me a damn camera that does everything.
And they did. There are all those alternatives out there but what camera(s) do you have? To be honest, I don't know anyone who has bought a camera other than a GoPro. Yes, there are alternatives and that was to be expected but what do people actually buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
He's not dissing the product. Look at it from at investment standpoint and not a consumer.
That's a fair comment and I'll admit I am looking at it as a consumer. What do you see when you look at it as an investor?
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #22
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
That's a fair comment and I'll admit I am looking at it as a consumer. What do you see when you look at it as an investor?
MAKING MONEY!!!

I love using twitter, but no way in hell i would ever invest in that dumb fvcking company. Just because someone makes a cool product doesn't mean it is a well run company that currently makes money, will continue to make money, or has the potential to make money!!!
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #23
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
MAKING MONEY!!!

I love using twitter, but no way in hell i would ever invest in that dumb fvcking company. Just because someone makes a cool product doesn't mean it is a well run company that currently makes money, will continue to make money, or has the potential to make money!!!
Making money is obvious but what indicators do you see in this product that would lead you to believe that they either aren't making money now or won't in the future?

From my perspective they have been steadily increasing in sales, they have the market cornered, more and more people are buying them, more and more companies are buying them (I just bought 5 for some of my R&D work), etc. That seems like they are selling more and therefore having more revenue. The Hero 3 is out now with the 4 not too far out. I'm sure the accessories are the cash cow though and they sell tons of those too.

Twitter is an obvious one. A company that doesn't sell anything and doesn't have ads seems like a terrible idea. I'm still not even sure how they make money to begin with.

srs question, not attacking or wanting to start a pissing match. Just wanting to learn more.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 06-11-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #24
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
I think most people who want a single gopro already have one. The question is whether people will buy multiple
Do you think that most people who want a cell phone already have one? So the future of cell phone sales is dismal unless people will buy multiple phones?

The % of people that are POV camera users is much lower obviously. But if the mfgs keep coming out with smaller units with longer lasting batteries and more capabilities, people will replace their camera, just like people replace their phone.

Quote:
Really? http://www.techshout.com/alternative...o-alternative/

Some people find the GoPro to be too expensive.

I own 2 GoPros but honestly would have NEVER purchased them if I knew about all the missing frames, mounts, LCD bacpacks, etc that I had to purchase to get the camera I needed. Everything about GoPro is "here add this" to make it better.

Just give me a damn camera that does everything.
I'm their other customer. Let me buy what I need. I'm almost always going to be using mine for either diving or bike riding. So I'm glad I didn't have to buy a camera that came with a bunch of crap I don't need.

Yes
----------------------------------------------

Last edited by Xcelratr; 06-11-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Xcelratr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #25
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Making money is obvious but what indicators do you see in this product that would lead you to believe that they either aren't making money now or won't in the future?

Twitter is an obvious one. A company that doesn't sell anything and doesn't have ads seems like a terrible idea. I'm still not even sure how they make money to begin with.
like i said, i don't see them having any patented technology that will distinguish themselves from any competitors or keep someone from replicating what they can do. cameras are cheap as fvck to make. they are a ubiquitous commodity now. and their market segment is very small. hobbyists who like to strap cameras to things. everyone has a cell phone camera to take pictures of whatever they want. buying a second camera for most people is redundant except for a small few.

sure the uav market may be growing, but what is gopro doing to be in this market? the uav companies will put their own cameras in them, they don't need gopro.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #26
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Company starts selling cameras at trade shows out of a van, invents their market, inventor is worth over a billion 10 years later. Clearly mismanaged and hemorrhaging cash.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 06-11-2014 at 10:20 AM.
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #27
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

i think gopro will go the route of gps makers tomtom, garmin, etc
Old 06-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #28
Top_Bunk

My Ride: Ram-Air Nylon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
but what do they have technology wise that others don't? sure they are the market leader in a small segment, but is anything they do novel or protected? that market becomes big enough and attractive to others how do they protect themselves? revenue doubling is the sign of a growing market, but doesn't indicate profitability. for some companies growing will actually mean they lose more money.
Their net income doubled as well from 2012 to 2013. The income statements are public if you want to take a look.

It is true that anyone can make a small form-factor camera, but GoPro is the Apple of action cameras. I constantly see friends who have the Hero2 upgrading to a 3+, and the same thing will happen with the next one. The brand loyalty is fairly consistent.
Top_Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #29
cowmoo32
drunken science

^ Not to mention their sensors and processing software are way ahead of the competition. What other action cameras shoot at 4k? None.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 06-11-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #30
ImPulSe

My Ride: Bentley GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
^ Not to mention their sensors and processing software are way ahead of the competition. What other action cameras shoot at 4k? None.
Why offer 4K when no one can even afford to watch such results?

ImPulSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #31
ImPulSe

Quote:
And they did.
The GoPro I got came with a waterproof case.

I had to go to Best Buy to purchase:

- LCD Bacpack
- "TheFrame"
- Tripod Mounts

just to make it useable.

What camera comes without an LCD back? Let me mount and record this shot, blindly, and hope that it comes out right.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #32
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:

Futureproofing.

flickher

Old 06-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #33
Top_Bunk

My Ride: Ram-Air Nylon
Quote:
4K Monitors/Televisions will become affordable soon enough, but the real appeal of that sensor for me is getting decent stills at 30fps.
Top_Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:41 AM   #34
ImPulSe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Futureproofing.
Future proofing for 2-3 years from now? Maybe that's why others haven't come out with 4K yet... Why have something now if it's not worth it? Again, GoPro hasn't patented 4K or the way their camera films it.

Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, Canon, and Kodak don't care about 4K? But little GoPro does.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #35
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
http://library.creativecow.net/wilso...d-Blue-World/1

See his comments about 4K.

Quote:
The GoPro I got came with a waterproof case.

I had to go to Best Buy to purchase:

- LCD Bacpack
- "TheFrame"
- Tripod Mounts

just to make it useable.

What camera comes without an LCD back? Let me mount and record this shot, blindly, and hope that it comes out right.
The real question is what camera comes without a lens cap?

But seriously, I don't need the LCD back. I use the iPhone/iPad app for some set up, but mostly I don't and I'm glad to have the smaller, lighter and cheaper LCD-less camera.

You're not wrong and I'm not wrong. We're just different customers who want different things.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:56 AM   #36
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

their revenue has been all over the place. up and down. they are in a growing market no doubt, but when the market is saturated and every extreme sports nut has a gopro strapped to themselves will they offer enough value for people to upgrade and will those upgrades be enough to drive revenue growth? their refresh cycle is much longer than a cell phone's 2 year.

GROWTH is another key and the other issue I have with this is that their camera is not based on their own homegrown technology. it is from ambarella. wearable technology seems to be the market direction. google, facebook, and others are at the forefront and gopro will defintely be entering that same market. can they compete with those companies? i don't think so. ambarella is working with those same companies as well.

if i were going to invest it would be in ambarella, not gopro
Old 06-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #37
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Bunk View Post
4K Monitors/Televisions will become affordable soon enough, but the real appeal of that sensor for me is getting decent stills at 30fps.
I predict that 4K TVs will be affordable by next spring. The costs have come down so far that you can now pick up a 60in 4K set for ~$3k now.

Whether 4K is worth it or not is a different issue for a different thread.

Quote:
Future proofing for 2-3 years from now? Maybe that's why others haven't come out with 4K yet... Why have something now if it's not worth it? Again, GoPro hasn't patented 4K or the way their camera films it.

Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, Canon, and Kodak don't care about 4K? But little GoPro does.
What makes you think they aren't interested in 4K? Canon has 4K cameras as do the rest of those companies. But they are all orders of magnitude more expensive than a GoPro. Bringing cheap 4K to the masses is going to be just as big as when 1080P recording came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
The real question is what camera comes without a lens cap?

But seriously, I don't need the LCD back. I use the iPhone/iPad app for some set up, but mostly I don't and I'm glad to have the smaller, lighter and cheaper LCD-less camera.

You're not wrong and I'm not wrong. We're just different customers who want different things.
^ This.

That's the business model. You buy what you need and nothing more. This reduces the cost of entry into the brand and lets you get exactly what you want and need for your specific application.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #38
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
I predict that 4K TVs will be affordable by next spring.
4K televisions are affordable for any grown adult with a credit card that want's to re-do his living or theater room. Unless you mean the poor-mans versions with iffy panels, backlighting, software, power supplies, and such - which are already available for under $1000...

smh stupid ass people on this board.

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #39
nikkeiS2K

My Ride: N/A
Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
4K televisions are affordable for any grown adult with a credit card that want's to re-do his living or theater room. Unless you mean the poor-mans versions with iffy panels, backlighting, software, power supplies, and such - which are already available for under $1000...

smh stupid ass people on this board.
I am glad you admit how much of a dumba$$ you are
nikkeiS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #40
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkeiS2K View Post
I am glad you admit how much of a dumba$$ you are
How am I a dumbass when there are already affordable 4K televisions sold in 40"-55" configs for under $1000. R u mad from previous threads and take a shot at me every time I post.

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote