E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #41
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Nah 4k TVs are too expensive
http://www.pcrichard.com/Samsung/Sam...p?catId=301010
.....for poor people

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #42
nikkeiS2K

My Ride: N/A
Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
How am I a dumbass when there are already affordable 4K televisions sold in 40"-55" configs for under $1000. R u mad from previous threads and take a shot at me every time I post.
Is that your defensive argument that you default back on whenever someone takes a shot at you? I rarely post on this forum anymore. Who the fvck are you?
nikkeiS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #43
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
4K televisions are affordable for any grown adult with a credit card that want's to re-do his living or theater room. Unless you mean the poor-mans versions with iffy panels, backlighting, software, power supplies, and such - which are already available for under $1000...

smh stupid ass people on this board.
By affordable I mean similar to the price of a normal 1080P TV. Buying a 50" 4K TV is idiotic regardless of price unless you sit 3 feet away from the TV.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #44
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
By affordable I mean similar to the price of a normal 1080P TV. Buying a 50" 4K TV is idiotic regardless of price unless you sit 3 feet away from the TV.
You just switched up your logic of an affordable 4K TV when someone called you out, good job.

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #45
v8 5

NAH BRAH THAT'S NOT WHAT I MEANT UH I MEANT WHEN YOU CAN BUY A 27" FOR THE SAME PRICE AS A 1080P 27"

like what

Old 06-11-2014, 02:58 PM   #46
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Oh look.....v8_5 douching up another thread.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #47
v8 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
I pointed out facts I don't see how I'm douching it up, I just see evolved douching up another thread

Old 06-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #48
v8 5

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...FXMA7AodDmEAZw

39" $399 4K

http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-SE50UY04.../dp/B00BXF7I9M

50" $639 4K

Minnesota guy clearly has a point here though, they haven't got affordable enough.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #49
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
I pointed out facts I don't see how I'm douching it up, I just see evolved douching up another thread
You totally torched his ass......on televisions. High five. So alpha. Much success.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #50
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
It's like watching Michael Angelo paint.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #51
v8 5

Quote:
You totally torched his ass......on televisions. High five. So alpha. Much success.
Is that what you do when people argue, someone calls you out and you call them a douche.

Why open your mouth in the first place, pseudo-intelligent.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #52
SamDoe1

Quote:
You just switched up your logic of an affordable 4K TV when someone called you out, good job.
lolwut

Quote:

39" $399 4K

50" $639 4K

Minnesota guy clearly has a point here though, they haven't got affordable enough.

Yes, affordable totally means buying a sh1tty brand so you can have a 4K TV.

dats a ballin tv bro. mad props bro, dem beetches be drippin.

such troll
very fail
wow
Old 06-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #53
v8 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
lolwut

Yes, affordable totally means buying a sh1tty brand so you can have a 4K TV.

dats a ballin tv bro. mad props bro, dem beetches be drippin.

such troll
very fail
wow
How am I trolling, you shift-shape your logic each post to make yourself not sound dumb.

Ironically everyone on here last week said to buy these cheap off-brand TV's and how good they were

Are the highest end Sony Bravia 1080P televisions under $1000 yet? Aka affordable? No?

What about projectors?

So you're saying, next year, Sony Bravia line is going to be under $1000. Because you don't buy cheap stuff, but you want expensive stuff to be cheap?

What is it you're trying to communicate with me here, because I see a 4K 50" TV for under $800 but now you're saying the brand isn't the brand you like?

Last edited by v8 5; 06-11-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #54
SamDoe1

Look man, I'm not changing any opinions or changing any logic at all.

Prices from Amazon:
- Sony 65" 1080P LED TV: $2400
- Sony 65" 4K LED TV: $3500 minimum, other versions go for up to $8000
- Samsung 65" 1080P LED TV: $2000
- Samsung 65" 4K LED TV: $3500

No one, myself included, is saying that a high end Sony/Samsung/whatever is going to be less than $1000 for a good TV. But, as shown above, the cost of a 4K high end TV is still $1000+ more than a same size high end 1080P TV. When this gap narrows is when it becomes "affordable", at least to me. I realize that narrowing this gap will mean that 1080P will get displaced either further downmarket or out of the market entirely.

I have no clue how Seiki manages to make a 4K TV worth watching for $400 but if none of the other big makers can or are doing it then there must be a catch.

Per CNET: "picture quality with non-4K content is worse than that of most other TVs in this price range, with light black levels, poor screen uniformity, and subpar video processing."

There's cheap crap to be had in any market and TVs are no exception. Buying a Seiki TV is like buying a Hugo and expect it to compare to a Benz.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 06-11-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #55
ImPulSe

My Ride: Bentley GT
Quote:

39" $399 4K

50" $639 4K

1. Seiki? Never heard of it.

2. Smart TV? I'd like to connect my TV to the internet pls...

3. 50" ? I'd want a minimum 60" for a family/living room.

4. You just don't get it.

5. Cause I wanted another point.
ImPulSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #56
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
but what do they have technology wise that others don't?
I tried to look for reasonable alternatives to the GoPro, and they really don't exist from an image quality standpoint (which is the most important function of a camera! And why no one can dethrone GoPro). If a company like Sony, maker of the best consumer/prosumer imaging sensors around can't top the GoPro on IQ, then yeah, I think it's fair to say they do have a technical advantage.

The important part about the ability to record 4K, especially if managed at a relatively high frame-rate, it means that HD could be done at extremely high frame-rates, and that is something that matters to the action camera demographic. sure 120fps is cool at 720P, but why not at 1080P? and what about 60FPS @ 4K? Also, 4K imaging allows you to crop the image down for shake reduction without compromising the image quality too much.

Not the mention potential advancements in camera dynamic range. That was the defining characteristic that always gave film cameras an advantage over early digital. Now even consumer cameras can pull off 13 stops of range (RED Cameras was pioneering at 4K and 13.7 stops), now RED is pushing things even further at 16 stops. What about the eventual day when ever a gopro can give you 30-48FPS @ 4k and 16 stops? Everyone will have a cinema camera in their pocket.

Best of all, these two advancements are dependent on the processor, not the lens or sensor, since frame rates are bottlenecked at the processor, not the sensor, and extreme dynamic ranges are reached by double exposing for any given frame, also dependent on processing speed. This is a field that we know will continue to improve at a known pace and getting cheaper in the process.

Last edited by k2pilot; 06-11-2014 at 04:57 PM.
k2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #57
ImPulSe

My Ride: Bentley GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
Everyone will have a cinema camera in their pocket.
But will cinemas exist? We all know that movies will soon be broadcasted directly into the consumers home... Movie theaters are slowly going out of business.
ImPulSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #58
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
I tried to look for reasonable alternatives to the GoPro, and they really don't exist from an image quality standpoint (which is the most important function of a camera! And why no one can dethrone GoPro). If a company like Sony, maker of the best consumer/prosumer imaging sensors around can't top the GoPro on IQ, then yeah, I think it's fair to say they do have a technical advantage.

The important part about the ability to record 4K, especially if managed at a relatively high frame-rate, it means that HD could be done at extremely high frame-rates, and that is something that matters to the action camera demographic. sure 120fps is cool at 720P, but why not at 1080P? and what about 60FPS @ 4K? Also, 4K imaging allows you to crop the image down for shake reduction without compromising the image quality too much.

Not the mention potential advancements in camera dynamic range. That was the defining characteristic that always gave film cameras an advantage over early digital. Now even consumer cameras can pull off 13 stops of range (RED Cameras was pioneering at 4K and 13.7 stops), now RED is pushing things even further at 16 stops. What about the eventual day when ever a gopro can give you 30-48FPS @ 4k and 16 stops? Everyone will have a cinema camera in their pocket.

Best of all, these two advancements are dependent on the processor, not the lens or sensor, since frame rates are bottlenecked at the processor, not the sensor, and extreme dynamic ranges are reached by double exposing for any given frame, also dependent on processing speed. This is a field that we know will continue to improve at a known pace and getting cheaper in the process.
but that was my point. gopro doesn't make a processor or camera. they buy their hardware and package it. right now it is marketing that has allowed them to beat sony side by side at best buy. they have nothing proprietary.

like i said, buy ambarella stock.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #59
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPulSe View Post
But will cinemas exist? We all know that movies will soon be broadcasted directly into the consumers home... Movie theaters are slowly going out of business.
Cinema/broadcast quality is just a way of describing the video quality. Between the progress in low-cost CGI work and the improvement in camera tech, it's now easier than ever to produce professional grade content, which plugs in easily with the booming content delivery platforms. This is the golden age of TV as they say. It'll only getting easier for creatives to produce content and distribute it to eager consumers. Good for cameras makers, I say!

I attended NAB this year and there was a clear divide in the demographics, those of the older high budget "Cinema" days who scoffed at the lowly consumer products, and others who know the low cost of entry provided by these new cameras is the way of the future.

Quote:
but that was my point. gopro doesn't make a processor or camera. they buy their hardware and package it. right now it is marketing that has allowed them to beat sony side by side at best buy. they have nothing proprietary.

Yeah, I was really harping on the other companies for being so inept on coming up with a real competitor. It isn't hard... Hell, my next project after my GoPro image stabilizer launches is a super 16 sensor sized C-mount lens camera, though in my case I plan on using a sensor from Cmosis (leica, Black Magic Design).

GoPro's biggest advantage is focusing on the core feature of the camera, imaging, and to an almost equal degree, size... Not the useless extra features everyone else is so interested in developing. Once some of the other developers re-adjust their focus (who knows if they ever will though!) then I think we'll see GoPro finally start to plateau.

Last edited by k2pilot; 06-11-2014 at 06:07 PM.
k2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #60
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPulSe View Post
The point is that the camera you carry around in your pocket, or on your chesty, or strapped to your roll bar, can produce images that look like something off National Geographic channel when you plug the thing into your TV at home.

Quote:

It's not just marketing. It's product design.

Look at a GoPro and look at all the other action cams. If you were going to mount one on a chest harness or some part of a bike helmet, which would you rather be working with?

The GoPro's compact overall size, and it's shallowness as far as front-to-back depth make it much easier to mount in many instances. In some cases, it doesn't matter. But in other instances, it's a big deal.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote