E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
2014 Dodge Durango

decided to make a new thread since the CVT has me thinking the pathfinder is not a good choice. Pathfinder was at top of the list with Traverse just behind. Out were the explorer and outlier.

just checked out the pilot, highlander, cx9, and just by chance the durango. wife didn't like the feel of the pilot. cx9 was too small. highlander was nice, but for the price seemed really cheap. not sure why they go for so much? redrove the pathfinder and it was still a top contender, but the cvt issue is scaring me away. drove the traverse again and seemed like a step down in quality.

NFRs2000nyc, I'm seriously considering the 2014 Durango!! the car blew me away! soft, quiet, comfortable ride. lots of room! great interior and options. it was a 2013 crew trim. reviews on the durango have been great! most people like me remember the old ones and just checked the new ones out on a whim and were amazed! good gas mileage, great handling.

have been reading and i think the 2014's have enough improvement changes to go that route instead of the 2013. biggest change is the 8 speed tranny having better gas mileage and power dist. thinking the 2014 limited trim is what i want. don't need the hemmy. thoughts? do you have your yet?
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
nmu98

My Ride: 330Xi
My wife has the Jeep Grand Cherokee. All I can say is get the V8. The V6 is great, but its slow. You have to really get into it for it to move. So you are either driving really slow, or it will rev to the heavens and go just a touch faster.

We are about to roll 20K on ours and we are looking to make the move to the V8.
nmu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
People still get V8's? That must get expensive

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmu98 View Post
My wife has the Jeep Grand Cherokee. All I can say is get the V8. The V6 is great, but its slow. You have to really get into it for it to move. So you are either driving really slow, or it will rev to the heavens and go just a touch faster.

We are about to roll 20K on ours and we are looking to make the move to the V8.
what year? and what transmission? from what i've read the V6 with the 8 speed is a vast improvement in power. does the grand cherokee come with the new 8 speed trans? i feel like the extra cost isn't worth the hemi and reduced gas mileage if you aren't going to be doing any substantial towing.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #5
nmu98

My Ride: 330Xi
We have a 2013 with the six and 5 speed trans. A coworker just bought a 14 with the 8 speed. His is no better.

Get the Hemi or the eco diesel.
nmu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:40 AM   #6
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
Actually like the 2014 Durango. Chrysler upped the game last couple years.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
CVT transmissions are ****in ODD

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
all cash
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
325seeeye
Core Fanatic

My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmu98 View Post
We have a 2013 with the six and 5 speed trans. A coworker just bought a 14 with the 8 speed. His is no better.

Get the Hemi or the eco diesel.
I just bought a 2014 Grand Cherokee with the V6 and 8-speed. It has plenty of power for a street car. I have no complaints. It is an SUV, not a race car. I don't need huge speed in a truck.

While the V8 would be a nice upgrade, I wouldn't call it a requirement unless you are towing. The V6 is perfectly fine at moving itself around. It is on-par with any other V6 SUV in its' class (MDX, 4-Runner, etc....)
Old 06-13-2014, 12:21 PM   #9
Serega91

My Ride: 00' 323i Manual
Durangos remind me of this little fuck:

Serega91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #10
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
decided to make a new thread since the CVT has me thinking the pathfinder is not a good choice. Pathfinder was at top of the list with Traverse just behind. Out were the explorer and outlier.

just checked out the pilot, highlander, cx9, and just by chance the durango. wife didn't like the feel of the pilot. cx9 was too small. highlander was nice, but for the price seemed really cheap. not sure why they go for so much? redrove the pathfinder and it was still a top contender, but the cvt issue is scaring me away. drove the traverse again and seemed like a step down in quality.

NFRs2000nyc, I'm seriously considering the 2014 Durango!! the car blew me away! soft, quiet, comfortable ride. lots of room! great interior and options. it was a 2013 crew trim. reviews on the durango have been great! most people like me remember the old ones and just checked the new ones out on a whim and were amazed! good gas mileage, great handling.

have been reading and i think the 2014's have enough improvement changes to go that route instead of the 2013. biggest change is the 8 speed tranny having better gas mileage and power dist. thinking the 2014 limited trim is what i want. don't need the hemmy. thoughts? do you have your yet?
I havne't checked them out, but from seeing them on the streets, i'm pretty fond of them. They look good.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:37 PM   #11
Solo118

My Ride: '12 MDX, '03 CLK500
Send a message via AIM to Solo118
Was the mdx on your list? I have a '12 but when my lease is up I'm likely to get the newer model.

Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:22 PM   #12
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
People still get V8's? That must get expensive
That's like saying, you bought an M5 - that must get expensive.

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #13
beeemerdude
Banned User

My Ride: Cabrio. Stick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serega91 View Post
Durangos remind me of this little fuck:

Lemme axe u dis:

ghetto movin to da 'burbs ?

"iz FUN to do bad thangs." "i yanked da ...I yanked ....da thang" . "me & ma frend want some mo' mac & cheese,...cuz we fat pudgy ...thangs"

1:30 = gynecomastia

unowutamsayin?

Last edited by beeemerdude; 06-13-2014 at 08:45 PM.
beeemerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #14
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
That's like saying, you bought an M5 - that must get expensive.
If you're buying an SUV to hail around kids and groceries, what's the point of getting a hemi other than the occasional highway merge or bragging rights?

It isn't like the 6 cylinder can't get out of its own way

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Old 06-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #15
Serega91

My Ride: 00' 323i Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
If you're buying an SUV to hail around kids and groceries, what's the point of getting a hemi other than the occasional highway merge or bragging rights?
Because 'Murica....
Serega91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:34 PM   #16
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serega91 View Post
Because 'Murica....
...exactly

I'm pissed I got the 3.5 in my Altima. I sit in traffic all day and drive 20,000 miles a year, what's the point?

Last edited by Act of God; 06-13-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:57 PM   #17
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post

Im closing on my house on monday, then moving, but as soon as Im done, I'll be ordering an RT to replace the wife's CRV (crv will go to my mom as they are moving to NJ as well and she will need a car), so Im talking the talk....there is NOTHING, no car/truck with the same level of fit, finish, power, room, and refinement as the Durango for the price, none. It is basically a Grand Cherokee XL without the leather dashboard, and sadly, no diesel option. They are fantastic rides. However, IF you don't need a true 7 seater (it is a real 7 seater, unlike an MDX or a Land Rover) and can afford it, I'd probably lean towards the overland/summit GC diesels though.

As for options, I want the RT because....

1) Hemi, a V6 for something this large just isnt enough. A diesel would be great but chrysler is being the gheys and not sticking it into the Durango...rumor has it Jeep is bringing back the Wagoneer, which will be a REAL Grand Cherokee XL, super luxo, a 7 seater, and priced around 75K, so hemi it is. The new 8 speed and cylinder deactivation gives fair gas mileage (around 20 highway) but it will suffer in the city (around 15).

2) The looks. The RT looks the business.

3) Black seats...I want black seats (2 kids) and the RT seats are kind of sexy.

4) The best in the business (in my opinion) 8.4" navi

5) AWD obviously. It also comes with a lo-range box, not something you might care about but having lo-range gives it excellent cred.

6) The sound....when stomping on it, it sounds like the god of thunder gargling with nails

7) The technology group is great. My dad has it standard on his GC, and not only does it make for super convenient driving (remember, these things aren't small) but it has already saved him from an accident (stomped the brakes for him when his eyes were split second adjusting from daylight to pitch black darkness)....

8) Premium Napa group...ventilated seats are great on black leather, and the expanded leather trim is nice as well. Serves no real function, just comfort.

Thats about it for me, that's the one Im ordering (wifey wants white.) I'm fairly certain Im going to skip the sunroof option (never use em and always keep em closed).
Old 06-13-2014, 09:58 PM   #18
NFRs2000nyc

BTW, the new pathfinder is a joke of a vehicle. Nissan's CVTs are also repugnant. At least the honda units are decent.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #19
NFRs2000nyc

Oh, and forgot to mention, the 8 speed in the 14 is definitely worth it, so definitely get the 14.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #20
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325seeeye View Post
I just bought a 2014 Grand Cherokee with the V6 and 8-speed. It has plenty of power for a street car. I have no complaints. It is an SUV, not a race car. I don't need huge speed in a truck.

While the V8 would be a nice upgrade, I wouldn't call it a requirement unless you are towing. The V6 is perfectly fine at moving itself around. It is on-par with any other V6 SUV in its' class (MDX, 4-Runner, etc....)
When I was shopping for a GC a while back, I drove the v6, then just for fun, drove the SRT....my god, the v6 felt like it was dragging an oil tanker after the SRT...that thing is a monster. If I start doing better financially this year, I'd love to give myself a present. IMHO, if you are getting a GC, and it's not the SRT, it should be a diesel. It's worth every penny. My dad will literally pay off his "diesel fee" in 2 years. His acura used to take $70 in super WEEKLY. His new GC diesel is eating around $28 weekly with similar (actually slightly more) mileage. He filled up weekly (saturdays) when he visited me on the weekends, and generally, his low fuel light was on. Now with the Jeep, with the SAME mileage, in a vehicle weight 1000lbs more, he's coming to me on the same saturday with the same mileage with slightly more than 3/4 of a tank.