E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #41
Solo118

My Ride: '12 MDX, '03 CLK500
Send a message via AIM to Solo118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
Well, I guess if you have to get a mini-van, then the Durango is the way to go.
OK! I never saw a minivan do this

Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #42
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
OK! I never saw a minivan do this
Or look and sound as good doing it.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #43
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Still faster than 1/2 the e46s in RT trim
Old 06-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #44
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
The new durangos are serious. Now only if they came in 4wd id consider it if I didn't have my jeep.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:01 PM   #45
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
The new durangos are serious. Now only if they came in 4wd id consider it if I didn't have my jeep.
What you need to do is, build the wrangler to non daily friendly levels, and tow it to the trail with the durango.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #46
GasKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
What you need to do is, build the wrangler to non daily friendly levels, and tow it to the trail with the durango.
Thinkin about starting a 2001 cherokee sport build. Clean build, not like what you see those kids driving.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #47
NFRs2000nyc

Hard to find a clean on in the north east unfortunately. Consider buying/building one of these.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...75087470&Log=0
Old 06-15-2014, 07:26 PM   #48
GasKing

Quote:
Hard to find a clean on in the north east unfortunately. Consider buying/building one of these.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...75087470&Log=0
Love dark blue... just not on that truck. A land cruiser is def on my long list of cars I have to own. I have a few things in front of it ATM. Price isn't horrible though, I can get them down lower though. Im guessing they're collectible now?

Last edited by GasKing; 06-15-2014 at 07:27 PM.
GasKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:35 PM   #49
NFRs2000nyc

Land Cruisers arent as collectible as they are desirable. I was thinking about picking up a 100 series and doing a turbo diesel conversion, long range fuel tank (2.5 tanks to get from NY to LA) and a few other mods to do some cross country treks....gonna be a hard sell to the wife though, having a built jeep and all.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #50
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
This is oddly enough, the best demo of my point I have seen to date, and one of the most relevant MPG tests I have ever seen. Start at 3:30

A larger motor will have an easier time maintaining speed as well as gaining speed, and when you factor in weight, you can tip scales in the "other" direction.
what?!!! so by your reasoning if you trailed the bmw with the mclaren the same way the bmw trailed the prius it would use less fuel?

the drivetrain, driving style, and driving type all effect fuel mileage.

the V6 is rated at 18/25 and the R/T at 14/23. that's a lot more than a rounding error. towing capacity is 6200lbs versus 7400. not a big difference.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #51
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
what?!!! so by your reasoning if you trailed the bmw with the mclaren the same way the bmw trailed the prius it would use less fuel?

the drivetrain, driving style, and driving type all effect fuel mileage.

the V6 is rated at 18/25 and the R/T at 14/23. that's a lot more than a rounding error. towing capacity is 6200lbs versus 7400. not a big difference.
Thats in lab conditions, not real world. In the real word, the v6 has to work harder to achieve the same thing. Its simple math/science. If you drag raced the two, but the hemi only needed to apply enough throttle to stay with the v6 at full throttle, the V6 mileage would be worse. Its easier for the v8 to merge onto a highway than the v6 (same amount of "work.) The v6 has to strain far more to haul the big weight of the truck. Putting a small motor in a large truck will require it to work harder to achieve the same result.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #52
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
^ It all depends on how you drive it and what kind of driving you do. If the V6 had to work so much harder to get the same effect the EPA numbers would be the same or very close. 14mpg city is pretty terrible, my 1998 Ford Expedition does about that and it's bigger than the Durango. Sh1t, the 2015 Suburban gets better gas mileage (16/23) and is also far bigger.

If you aren't drag racing, merging aggressively, or towing constantly, the V6 will do just fine and net you better gas mileage in return. Plus sides of the Hemi are the options that open up because you got that motor but low range in a crossover like this is fairly pointless, when are you ever going to need it? A 7400lb towing capacity does not require low range and you'll certainly not be going on anything more off road than a gravel road. It's mostly for bragging rights that your new mall crawler has a low range transfer case. I can count on one hand the number of times I've put my truck in low range and that was only to see if it worked or not.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:25 PM   #53
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Thats in lab conditions, not real world. In the real word, the v6 has to work harder to achieve the same thing. Its simple math/science. If you drag raced the two, but the hemi only needed to apply enough throttle to stay with the v6 at full throttle, the V6 mileage would be worse. Its easier for the v8 to merge onto a highway than the v6 (same amount of "work.) The v6 has to strain far more to haul the big weight of the truck. Putting a small motor in a large truck will require it to work harder to achieve the same result.
you obviously can't grasp simple math/science because neither engine is operating at full load 99.99% of the time. pulling onto a highway is maybe 0.25% of your driving. and you can't reason that in the same car under acceleration that a more powerful engine will operate more efficiently than a smaller engine. it's not a simple comparison like that.

explain then why a smaller engine for the mpg tests is better, but then will perform worse in the real world?
Old 06-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #54
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

knowing i want a 2014 Dodge Durango Limited with leather, V6, and AWD what is the best way to find one? I can search new inventory on the Dodge site, have looked on Ebay, and autotrader also.

on the dodge site it looks like the easiest way to search for cars and see which features they have and compare cars. there are so many options and dealers prices are all over the place you don't know which have different options and which just have different prices for the same car.

is there any negotiating on the new car prices shown on dealer sites? trying to haggle down would just be a crap shoot. do you just tell them to knock a couple grand off?
Old 06-16-2014, 04:23 PM   #55
SamDoe1

Just email all the dodge dealers with your required model, trim, options, color, etc and tell them to give you an all in and out the door quote with specific details. Go to the one or two that give you the best deal and negotiate as far from there as you can. Should filter out the initial BS you'll get from most dealers. TrueCar is a great to get an idea of what number you shouldn't pay but often times you'll get better deals by just asking rather than taking the website's pricing.

If they don't have the specific one you want, they'll figure out how to get it for you. A car like the Durango isn't a special order car that's super rare or custom. No matter what color combo you want, it's probably available in the Chicago area.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 06-16-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:33 PM   #56
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Just email all the dodge dealers with your required model, trim, options, color, etc and tell them to give you an all in and out the door quote with specific details. Go to the one or two that give you the best deal and negotiate as far from there as you can. Should filter out the initial BS you'll get from most dealers. TrueCar is a great to get an idea of what number you shouldn't pay but often times you'll get better deals by just asking rather than taking the website's pricing.

If they don't have the specific one you want, they'll figure out how to get it for you. A car like the Durango isn't a special order car that's super rare or custom. No matter what color combo you want, it's probably available in the Chicago area.
yeah there aren't too many color options/combos, but the small little detail options are a pain in the ass to sort through and figure out what is even possible to get.

i'll check out truecar. haven't used that before. thanks
Old 06-16-2014, 04:42 PM   #57
SamDoe1

Quote:
yeah there aren't too many color options/combos, but the small little detail options are a pain in the ass to sort through and figure out what is even possible to get.

i'll check out truecar. haven't used that before. thanks
Go online and print a PDF of your buildout from the "build your own" thing and send that to a dealer. TrueCar will allow you to add in some options but it's a pain to use properly.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:16 PM   #58
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #59
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
you obviously can't grasp simple math/science because neither engine is operating at full load 99.99% of the time. pulling onto a highway is maybe 0.25% of your driving. and you can't reason that in the same car under acceleration that a more powerful engine will operate more efficiently than a smaller engine. it's not a simple comparison like that.

explain then why a smaller engine for the mpg tests is better, but then will perform worse in the real world?
Given equal workloads, a large engine has to work LESS to achieve the SAME work at the SAME rate. This is why sometimes going with more aggressive rear end pinion gears while "rumored" by internet trolls to decrease gas mileage will actually IMPROVE gas mileage. A hemi will have a MUCH easier time maintaining 80mph in a brick of a vehicle than a v6. THis is just like the EPA/Jeep rates the V6 3.21 geared wrangler at 21mpg highway, while the 4.10 drops a few mpg...but in the rear world, guys with 4.10s are seeing better highway numbers than the 3.21 guys, and I know this for a fact because I've owned both back to back.

If you drive the V8 conservatively (equal load as the v6) you can match or even exceed the v6 mpg numbers.

BTW, NONE of what I say above even takes into account the hemi's cylinder deactivation, which skews the numbers towards the v8's favor. It's your money, spend it as you see fit.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 06-16-2014 at 05:29 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #60
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Given equal workloads, a large engine has to work LESS to achieve the SAME work at the SAME rate. This is why sometimes going with more aggressive rear end pinion gears while "rumored" by internet trolls to decrease gas mileage will actually IMPROVE gas mileage. A hemi will have a MUCH easier time maintaining 80mph in a brick of a vehicle than a v6. THis is just like the EPA/Jeep rates the V6 3.21 geared wrangler at 21mpg highway, while the 4.10 drops a few mpg...but in the rear world, guys with 4.10s are seeing better highway numbers than the 3.21 guys, and I know this for a fact because I've owned both back to back.

If you drive the V8 conservatively (equal load as the v6) you can match or even exceed the v6 mpg numbers.

BTW, NONE of what I say above even takes into account the hemi's cylinder deactivation, which skews the numbers towards the v8's favor. It's your money, spend it as you see fit.
ok, so explain to me why larger engines get worse gas mileage? you're saying the mpg test skews the numbers and the hemi actually is better than the v6? come on now. you're not making any sense