E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #1
Bmwm3forlife

My Ride: Bmw m3 e46
Need some exhaust advice ! Please help

Hello everyone, I'm thinking about getting a good exhaust. I hate rattling exhaust sound I want a deep loud, I drive a 2003 bmw m3, I'm thinking about getting an axle back, and deleting the resonators and put custom piping. I'm trying to spend no more then like 400 to 500$.
-what are some good exhaust set ups? Thanks

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Bmwm3forlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
api

My Ride: 03 M3 6-spd
Others may have better advice but I have the resonators removed on my car and the rasp is louder. The only "deep sounding" exhaust I have heard is my friend's Meisterschaft exhaust. I think you are going to spend much more for that unless you can find it used.

Not sure what you are considering "deep sounding" but since this is an inline 6, I am not sure how "deep" of a sound you are going to get. Youtube e46 M3 exhaust and see what you like.

MODS: 03 M3, 6MT, PSS9, AFE Intake, Euro Ceramic Coated Headers, El Diablo Exhaust, Turner Motorsports Rear Adjustable Camber Arms, AKG Diff and Subframe bushings, PowerFlex suspension bushings, Sub-frame Reinforcement, 18'x9' square setup & one driver that grins ear to ear everytime he is driving it
api is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
morningisbad

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
For 400-500, you're going to have some issues finding anything, much less achieving the sound you want. You may be better off adding a set of resonators on the section one, or getting a rasp terminator in there. Not sure what cost would be on that, but any decent axle back is going to break your budget and won't get the result you want without other modifications.

My exhaust (if you're curious):
2002 BMW M3 Convertible
Super Sprint V1 Stepped Headers
Super Sprint Section 1 (Resonated)
Super Sprint Non-Resonated X-Pipe
Super Sprint Race Muffler
K&N Intake
ESS Tune

Last edited by morningisbad; 07-02-2014 at 11:08 AM.
morningisbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
Teslazerok

My Ride: 2003 M3 6SPD
Read through this thread, there's a couple variations that people have claimed got rid of rasp and ended up with a deep sound. Even if you have to pay someone to do all of it you'd still be under $500.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...ht=muffler+gut
Teslazerok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
Bmwm3forlife

Anyone know anything about Magna flow for BMW's I heard they are the less rattly

Old 07-03-2014, 07:57 PM   #6
helmutm3

My Ride: 04 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwm3forlife View Post
Anyone know anything about Magna flow for BMW's I heard they are the less rattly

Less raspy then the one you have for sure.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
2002topasblueM3

My Ride: 2002 M3
Catless headers and a cheap topspeed replica exhaust. The drone sucks but it sounds amazing. That's what I have on my car and everyone loves the sound. By everyone I mean Mustang guys, Porsche guys, Ferrari and corvette guys from my country club and even the ricers. I only spent $350 for the entire set up from a guy on the forum. Like I said, the drone isn't my favorite part but I'm only 20 years old so it doesn't bother me at all since I still have some growing up to do. So if you can tolerate the drone then I would recommend that. If not, there aren't many other options aside from just an axle back which almost never gives you a deep tone. Unless you spend some serious money on a real muffler, all you'll get out of a cheap axle back is an annoying fart can noise. That's how my topspeed muffler sounded with stock headers. Catless headers with the stock muffler will give you a deep tone but it's still too quiet in my opinion. If you want loud you'll have to sacrifice the peace and quiet in the cabin. I've honestly never been in an e46 m3 with loud exhaust that doesn't drone in the cabin. I'm sure there's plenty out there but it's all about how much you're willing to spend. And for $500 I don't think you'll find one.

2002topasblueM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #8
2002topasblueM3

If you tell me your email I can send you a short video of what my exhaust sounds like. I can't upload it on here from my phone. It's not the best quality but it'll at least give you an idea of what it sounds like.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:33 PM   #9
Bmwm3forlife

Auto1990@yahoo.com

Old 07-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #10
Sammysaba

My Ride: 2006 E46 M3
Look into the scorpion exhaust. I have it on my car not to raspy very little drone and it sounds Absolutley incredible in my opinion. It's going to be very hard to find anything in that budget like others have been saying. It is an M3 after all.

If I get around to posting a video I will but otherwise there are plenty of videos on YouTube. Just look for the e46 m3 scorpion exhaust it gives it a nice deep tone and really doesn't break the bank too much.

2006 M3 Convertible
Jet Black on Dove Grey
Scorpion exhaust
Macht Shcnell Intake
Sammysaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #11
Bmwm3forlife

I like the scorpion exhuast start up but once it hits like 3rpm it gets extremely raspy ?

Old 07-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #12
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
not on that budget unless you find used.
Rogue El Diablo and Scorpion are deeper toned and less raspy than most. I had the Rogue but sold it for something less head turning sound.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #13
Sammysaba

My Ride: 2006 E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwm3forlife View Post
I like the scorpion exhuast start up but once it hits like 3rpm it gets extremely raspy ?

So for me it was between the rogue and the scorpion because they are both deep sounding. Yes some rasp comes through the scorpion but for the most part it's nice and deep. If your really against the rasp you can always remove your resonator and replace it with a CPI rasp terminator.

2006 M3 Convertible
Jet Black on Dove Grey
Scorpion exhaust
Macht Shcnell Intake
Sammysaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #14
2002topasblueM3

I've tried to post the video and email it but for some reason my phone just isn't cooperating. I'll try and figure out a way to send it somehow.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:51 PM   #15
NoName408

My Ride: BMW M3 E46/08 G37
http://instagram.com/p/lZGxZFNkQP/?modal=true
NoName408 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #16
Bmwm3forlife

Dame that sounds pretty good, what's your set up ^^^

Old 07-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #17
Bmwm3forlife

Btw thanks everyone for the input.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #18
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Status gruppe muffler with their rasp pipe. Gives it a Tone that can be described as a mix between a Ferrari 360 when low and a Porsche gt3rs when high rpm.

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #19
NoName408

My Ride: BMW M3 E46/08 G37
I got 2 AR20s one the section 1, side by side. I took off the stock ones and just a Top Speed Section 3.
NoName408 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #20
Bmwm3forlife

Sweet, thanks for the input