E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-20-2014, 08:45 AM   #1
azbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: arizona
Posts: 9
My Ride: 06 330 cic
Help with Installing a replacement H7 battery

I have a 2006 330 CI convertible since new with only 45K miles. I replaced the second OEM battery with a Sam's Club Energizer MAX H7. It appears to be slightly longer than the Exide OEM, so the small metal piece holding it in place does not fit.

Any suggestions on how I can secure it? Thanks for all the inputs. I love this car.
azbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #2
azbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: arizona
Posts: 9
My Ride: 06 330 cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbimmer View Post
I have a 2006 330 CI convertible since new with only 45K miles. I replaced the second OEM battery with a Sam's Club Energizer MAX H7. It appears to be slightly longer than the Exide OEM, so the small metal piece holding it in place does not fit.

Any suggestions on how I can secure it? Thanks for all the inputs. I love this car.
Anyone?
azbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:35 AM   #3
jfoj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fairfax, VA USA
Posts: 10,863
My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Here is my suggestion, buy an OE battery from the dealer. Hopefully they have online pricing so you can get it for less than $300.

You may say I am nuts, the battery is special in the convertible. Do not laugh, the battery is an integral part of the overall vehicle vibration dampening system. Just check the owners manual and service manual.

You will notice the battery is mounted on a tray that is gimbal mounted with 2 small shock absorbers, BMW did not do this for no reason.

Also since your car is likely not driving for long periods as seen by the mileage, suggest you buy a Battery Tender and use it when the car is sitting for more than a few days.
__________________
Solve your misfires, lean codes, rough idle - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897616

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
Adamo99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Port Credit, ON
Posts: 288
My Ride: e39 530i, e93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Here is my suggestion, buy an OE battery from the dealer. Hopefully they have online pricing so you can get it for less than $300.

You may say I am nuts, the battery is special in the convertible. Do not laugh, the battery is an integral part of the overall vehicle vibration dampening system. Just check the owners manual and service manual.

You will notice the battery is mounted on a tray that is gimbal mounted with 2 small shock absorbers, BMW did not do this for no reason.

Also since your car is likely not driving for long periods as seen by the mileage, suggest you buy a Battery Tender and use it when the car is sitting for more than a few days.
It's a friggin' battery. I bought a replacement at Walmart for $96, and it was rated better than the OEM in every way. The handling, NVH, and suspension didn't all go to **** when I replaced it. Just buy one that is the same size, lock it down, and you're all set.
Adamo99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:03 AM   #5
jfoj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fairfax, VA USA
Posts: 10,863
My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
It's a friggin' battery. I bought a replacement at Walmart for $96, and it was rated better than the OEM in every way. The handling, NVH, and suspension didn't all go to **** when I replaced it. Just buy one that is the same size, lock it down, and you're all set.
Hey, all I am saying it there is something about how the convertible is built and the battery plays into it. Right, wrong or indifferent, I am just passing the info along. Many folks may not be aware of how the battery is actually a design aspect of this car.

I cannot say what may happen if you do not use the OE size/weight/design battery, but BMW did something very weird with the E46 and the battery. May be not something your average Joe would noticed, maybe if you luck out and get a battery that is very close, it will still work?

This one item I may not cheap out on just because, but to each their own.
__________________
Solve your misfires, lean codes, rough idle - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897616

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #6
dagny747
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: boston
Posts: 10
My Ride: 330cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbimmer View Post
I have a 2006 330 CI convertible since new with only 45K miles. I replaced the second OEM battery with a Sam's Club Energizer MAX H7. It appears to be slightly longer than the Exide OEM, so the small metal piece holding it in place does not fit.

Any suggestions on how I can secure it? Thanks for all the inputs. I love this car.
I think the operative question was how to secure it as the H7 doesn't line up with the metal clamp. Unlike the hardtop which has a top clamp there is not one on a convertible. Where i live the dealer price is the same as walmart/autozone. So it's a no brainer, buy the BMW battery. I understand that in other parts of the country, the dealers charge up to $300 for a battery. My 2005 original lasted until 2013 and cost $156.
dagny747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
wildirish317
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,735
My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
It's a friggin' battery.


Per Bentley:


The only downside is battery life.
__________________


“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:25 PM   #8
azbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: arizona
Posts: 9
My Ride: 06 330 cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagny747 View Post
I think the operative question was how to secure it as the H7 doesn't line up with the metal clamp. Unlike the hardtop which has a top clamp there is not one on a convertible. Where i live the dealer price is the same as walmart/autozone. So it's a no brainer, buy the BMW battery. I understand that in other parts of the country, the dealers charge up to $300 for a battery. My 2005 original lasted until 2013 and cost $156.
Thanks for bringing the discussion back to topic. I have already installed the battery. It is just not secured, because the clamp would not fit since it is a tad too large. If I had access to a machine shop, I could trim it down!

As we all know, BMW does not make batteries (or tires!). They use an Excide battery, and I doubt very much if Excide does something to make their battery more anti-vibration, especially since it is the same battery for the convertible and the sedan. The aftermarket is made by Johnson Controls, a reputable maker, with better specs than Excide, and is $100 cheaper than the dealer's price.

My only question is, has someone else installed an aftermarket battery in the convertible, and if yes, how did you secure it?


Any takers?

Cheers!
azbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:26 PM   #9
azbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: arizona
Posts: 9
My Ride: 06 330 cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post


Per Bentley:


The only downside is battery life.
I have a Bentley manual. Where is this quote?
azbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:52 AM   #10
wildirish317
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,735
My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
It's under convertible top controls, page 541-1. The special battery tray and constant vibration are mention in several locations. This is the only one I found that says it will shorten battery life to use a battery not designed for constant vibration.
__________________


“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:33 AM   #11
azbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: arizona
Posts: 9
My Ride: 06 330 cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
It's under convertible top controls, page 541-1. The special battery tray and constant vibration are mention in several locations. This is the only one I found that says it will shorten battery life to use a battery not designed for constant vibration.
Thanks for sharing. My first 2 OEM (Excide batteries) lasted 3 and 5 years respectively. We will see how much this one lasts, but the cost saving of $100 ($140 vs. $240 from dealer) will offset that.
azbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #12
wildirish317
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,735
My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
You're welcome. My battery turned 5 years old this past December. I don't recall if it's OEM (or designed for constant vibration). I'm expecting it to die any time, although it shows no signs of being weak. fwiw, I have the same warning about the battery on my Sawzall.
__________________


“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #13
SilberVogel
OEM ///Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 217
My Ride: 2002 330Ci Conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbimmer View Post
Thanks for bringing the discussion back to topic. I have already installed the battery. It is just not secured, because the clamp would not fit since it is a tad too large. If I had access to a machine shop, I could trim it down!

As we all know, BMW does not make batteries (or tires!). They use an Excide battery, and I doubt very much if Excide does something to make their battery more anti-vibration, especially since it is the same battery for the convertible and the sedan. The aftermarket is made by Johnson Controls, a reputable maker, with better specs than Excide, and is $100 cheaper than the dealer's price.

My only question is, has someone else installed an aftermarket battery in the convertible, and if yes, how did you secure it?


Any takers?

Cheers!
The Duralast Gold (94R-DLG) from AutoZone is a perfect fit, so when I replaced mine, there were no issues with securing it. Was aware of the design aspects of the convertible battery at the time I was replacing the OEM one, and have been running the 94R-DLG for about four years now without any issues. Didn't weigh the OEM and Duralast batteries, but their dimensions/appearances were identical, right down to the vented port.

EDIT: The Duralast also came with an 8 year warranty (3 year free replacement), so figured I couldn't go wrong.
__________________
Visit www.bmwpnpc.com or click here to read new release and announcement info.

Last edited by SilberVogel; 06-24-2014 at 03:21 PM.
SilberVogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:40 PM   #14
Adamo99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Port Credit, ON
Posts: 288
My Ride: e39 530i, e93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post


Per Bentley:


The only downside is battery life.
Buying the proper size battery (94R) allows it to be securely mounted in the tray. That eliminates any vibration, and excess stress on the battery. Mine has been fine for years- but if it helps you sleep better at night paying triple for everything 'because BMW says so', knock yourself out.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Adamo99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #15
azbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: arizona
Posts: 9
My Ride: 06 330 cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
Buying the proper size battery (94R) allows it to be securely mounted in the tray. That eliminates any vibration, and excess stress on the battery. Mine has been fine for years- but if it helps you sleep better at night paying triple for everything 'because BMW says so', knock yourself out.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I did buy the proper size (H7 is same as 94R), but it is just a tad longer, maybe 0.1 inch, so the bracket used to secure the battery does not fit. The H7 replacement has better specs than the OEM Excide that BMW wanted to sell me for $100 more!

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/energiz...prod6000038.ip

Last edited by azbimmer; 06-26-2014 at 09:28 AM.
azbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:21 PM   #16
Adamo99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Port Credit, ON
Posts: 288
My Ride: e39 530i, e93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbimmer View Post
(H7 is same as 94R), but it is just a tad longer
It's not the same then, is it? Buy the correct battery, no problems. BMW doesn't make batteries- they just source and install one that meets their engineering specs.

Last edited by Adamo99; 06-26-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Adamo99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:26 PM   #17
wildirish317
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,735
My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
- but if it helps you sleep better at night paying triple for everything 'because BMW says so', knock yourself out.

You're replying to the guy that fixed his DISA with epoxy. I won't spend 3x for a BMW label on my battery.


Sent from BimmerApp
__________________


“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:38 PM   #18
azbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: arizona
Posts: 9
My Ride: 06 330 cic
Problem solved

I took the metal piece that holds the battery down to the local Ace Hardware, asking a helpful fellow if I could find an alternate, smaller piece.

He said, If you want, I can cut it short.

"Sure," I said, and watched him use a hacksaw to cut the piece.

It fits perfectly.

Thank you, Ace Hardware, for saving me $100!
azbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #19
jimvideopro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 95
My Ride: 2006 330CiC
For those searching in the future: the H7 Everstart battery from Walmart I just bought fits perfectly. $146 plus tax. Note that there are vents on both sides of the battery, but the cover over the positive terminal had a little break-away plug I used to close off the vent on the negative side. Sometimes it DOES help to read the directions!


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
jimvideopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:51 AM   #20
salmab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1
BMW 650i 2007 car crank but won't start


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
salmab is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery replacement, h7

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use