E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #21
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogetyBoogety View Post
As my father taught me when I was three years old, and he first placed his unloaded service revolver in my hands, all guns are always loaded. Always. Always. There is no such thing as an unloaded gun. And I have always handled my weapons, even when they're unloaded, even as I am cleaning them, even disassembled, as though they are loaded. It's always been just habit, and has been for six decades: You're smart for always pointing the barrel away from you and others.

But all guns are always loaded. Glad you're OK.

In for pics of hole in floor...
yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDci24 View Post
I feel like an idiot right now, I had just gone shooting yesterday and I decided to field strip my gun today for cleaning. I remember using up all my rounds, I released the mag pulled back the slide a bit to check for a round and because it's needed to take the slide off. Next thing I know as I pull the trigger to release the slide BANG!!!!, Holy **** it scared the **** out of me but fortunately as I always point it down no matter if I'm dry firing or stripping it anything that has to do with pulling that trigger I'm always safe and point to the floor. The reason I did not see the round is it blended with my slide very well and my living room is a bit dark, it was a stainless steel colored casing and like I said I knew or at least knew there where no rounds in there but I still should've pulled the slide all the way back no excuse. Lesson learned 1 is always pull the slide back multiple times after releasing mag and or before thinking about stripping it. I'm not looking for criticism I know I should been a lot more safe but I will definitely learn from this. Well I just wanted to share my story and have it be a lesson for everyone, check, double check and triple check for any round in the chamber.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Not gonna beat ya up but the advice above is solid.

Basic safe handling procedures are not complex. Don't count rounds, don't assume anything. Guns are always loaded, always. At least you followed 1 rule and had it safely pointed in a direction (unless you live on the second floor).

Drop the mag, and rack the gun several times to eject/inspect the chamber.
Place thumb in mag well and pinky in chamber (just don't bite it)

Glad you called it a ND and not a AD. I would laid into you then.

Be safe

Did anyone hear it, call the cops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:03 AM   #22
Vinnie Vega

My Ride: 0032870Vette70Velle
Happened to my friend once in his APARTMENT, no one got hurt, and no one called the cops.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #23
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Sad.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #24
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
I feel like an idiot right now, I had just gone shooting yesterday and I decided to field strip my gun today for cleaning. I remember using up all my rounds, I released the mag pulled back the slide a bit to check for a round and because it's needed to take the slide off.
I must've skimmed my first time through your post but.... As you described here... You spent a majority of your day walking around with a loaded and charged firearm with one in the chamber while under the impression it was empty. Honestly, I don't see how that's even possible. You spent time at the range and stopped shooting with one bullet left and an empty mag? I don't believe you. That simply doesn't happen. Nope

Quote:
he reason I did not see the round is it blended with my slide very well and my living room is a bit dark, it was a stainless steel colored casing and like I said I knew or at least knew there where no rounds in there but I still should've pulled the slide
still not buying it. Also who cleans a gun and handles it in a poorly lit room?

Here's what I think happened. You inserted a loaded mag in a non chambered firearm. When you performed your "rack check" you actually chambered a round. You then dropped the mag, and pulled the trigger to release the slide.
Gun worked flawlessly as designed

Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
Sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:37 PM   #25
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
From an instructor/trainer perspective, we make it a point to beat firearms safety and safe operation into the heads of our students. One thing that we harp on heavily is always knowing the condition of your weapon. From a tactical standpoint, you need to know whether you have one in the chamber and you need to know how much ammo you have available in the mag. From a safety standpoint, the same thing applies but for safety reasons and not operational reasons.

When we pull people off the range, we make everyone make their weapons Condition 4.

Rifles:
"Place your weapons on mechanical safe. Remove your magazines, cycle the bolt several times, then lock your bolts to the rear. Visually and phyisically check to ensure the weapon is safe. Once safe, let it hang."

Pistols:
"Place your weapons on mechanical safe. Remove your magazines and cycle the slide several times, then lock your slides to the rear. Visually and phyisically check to ensure the weapon is safe. Once safe, secure it in your holster."

Shotguns:
"Place your weapons on mechanical safe. Using your slide release lever, cycle the slide until the gun is clear. Keep the slide to the rear. Visually and phyisically check to ensure the weapon is safe and the magazine tube is unloaded. Once safe, let it hang."

We do it this way every time. The reason is because repetition builds habit. When it comes to safety, you have to make sure it's a deliberate effort, not a quick glance. What you did was tantamount to a press-check. A press-check is a tactical maneuver, not a safety measure. You need to make sure that at all times you are using a safety protocol that is clear and definitive. when I am making sure one of my carry pistols is loaded, I do a visual and physical press-check. I don't do that to make sure they're unloaded.

For a pistol, you:
-MUST engage the mechanical safety if it allows to do so
-MUST remove the magazine
-MUST cycle the slide
-MUST lock the slide to the rear
Only after all that is done can you properly visually and physically verify if the weapon is clear.

The goal should be to make this one of your habits so that you just do it automatically.

I have a combined 15 years of military and law enforcement experience, all involving firearms. I have yet to ever see an accidental discharge. I have however seen plenty of negligent discharges. Remember that there is a distinct reason why we call it "negligent". Your primary safety is always that spongy mass between your ears. That's always the first safety that fails too.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 06-22-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:54 PM   #26
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Exactly what does SMH stand for?
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:03 AM   #27
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO View Post
Exactly what does SMH stand for?
Sh1tty midget head duh

Shake my head :p
Old 06-23-2014, 02:24 AM   #28
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Well, 20 year retired military...it happens more than you think. I know it sucks, scared you but am sure you lucked out and learned a simple safety lesson you might have forgot...but will double check now. I will not rag on you for posting you mistake that made you learn going back to the basics. I actually praise you for this post that will help others. When I come in to the house on mids, if I clear my weapon....I normally have a flashlight to check the chamber. But...I want to see pics of the hole....LOL Glad nobody got hurt
Old 06-23-2014, 02:27 AM   #29
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
And served in the military....you will not believe how many MISFIRES...or NEG DIS goes on...some from trainers, SFS, you name it. Some just cleaning their guns................hell, I can check the local Police blotter on how common it is
Old 06-23-2014, 07:53 AM   #30
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr_driver View Post
Sh1tty midget head duh

Shake my head :p
Love slutty midgets.

ND's are beyond SMH.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #31
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
your and idiot
you're*
Old 06-25-2014, 05:05 PM   #32
vilseck21

My Ride: B_Cryus's mother
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
If guns were illegal we wouldn't have this problem to worry about now would we?
If cars were illegal, then no one would die in car crashes too.
vilseck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:09 AM   #33
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
Pics of damage? Smells funny...

IF I was dumb enough to ND (hey shit happens but your still dumb for doing it) and dumb enough to post about it on the internet and expect to get away with out everyone calling me a dumbass I sure as HELL would be posting pictures of my f-up....

BTW, here's mine from some time ago.... Not a ND or AD (I pulled the trigger on purpose) but I sure as hell shot the damn window of my parents house. I plead the 5th as to the circumstances surrounding me shooting out of a window because it defiantly would not have been good to get busted doing what I was doing.

3 hours and counting until parental units come home so im in panic mode. Could not find the wood filler so I found some OLD bondo in the garage. I filled the hole, sanded, and then found a 5 year old almost dried out can of white paint that had the consistency of tooth paste. F%^&*K no brushes in sight, luckily if you rub it on with your finger it looks like brush strokes.

SO now I run in to a new problem, it looks to CLEAN compared to the rest of the window seal, I have a BAD habit of killing stink bugs with hair spray while im taken a dump (it passes the time)and it dirties the window seal up FAST. I dusted it with dark brown krylon and dust I found on top of a book case. Took about a hour and a half and Im DONE!

Last edited by tailo; 06-27-2014 at 02:11 AM.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:08 AM   #34
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
The gigantic sword and rusted out car just seem appropriate for a story like this
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #35
tailo

You see very little of the big picture myfriend
Old 06-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #36
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Well I was going to let you slide on the pink sponge, but if you insist

I'm dying to know what you were shooting at in the bathroom though.....snake? roach? another chicken?
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #37
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post

I'm dying to know what you were shooting at in the bathroom though.....snake? roach? another chicken?

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 06-27-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #38
Jimmeh

My Ride: 335i
This thread is great...thanks for wasting 20 minutes of my day with awesomeness.
Jimmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:13 AM   #39
tailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post

What I was doing, what I was doing it with, and why I shot the window cannot be named.

I could tell the real story but I would be admitting to what could be construed as a felony. Nothing can be proven, pictures took place in mexico and are computer generated.

The official online story is a cat scared me....
Old 06-29-2014, 12:55 AM   #40
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
Just had to dig the hole a bit deeper...