E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
Sammysaba

My Ride: 2006 E46 M3
HELP!! Weird feeling coming from the rear

Hello all, for the passed few days my e46 M has been acting up and i have no clue why. Every time I go to get my car to a decent city speed limit at around 15-25 MPH I get this loud banging and rubbing noise from the back (i think right back) area of my car. If i didn't know any better (which i like to think i do) i would think it was a flat tire BUT it isn't. It feels like the car is jumping alittle and rubbing on something but once i pass that speed range and get to 30 or even highway speed the sound and feeling go away.

Currently I am running Staggered CSL Rep 19" with 225/40-19 in the front and 285/35-19 in the rear and i have been running this set up for well over a year now without a problem. I know my car needs a 4 wheel alignment and have already checked the tread on all 4 of my tires and they do need to be replaced soon ( maybe 2k more for them). I checked both my rear bearings and they are both fine. Yesterday I had all 4 of my rims checked for bends and obviously (living in Brooklyn) all 4 of them were slightly off and i had them all straightened. I even tried tires of a friend of mine to confirm it wasn't the wheels.

I am desperate at this point and have no idea where to look next...... could it be my axel? Or maybe my diff? I wish i could post a video and show what it is doing but that just wont help because the video does not show it.

If anybody has a solution or lives in the Brooklyn area that i can go show this too PLEASE let me know!!!

2006 M3 Convertible
Jet Black on Dove Grey
Scorpion exhaust
Macht Shcnell Intake

Last edited by Sammysaba; 06-26-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Sammysaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
FTLAUDM3

My Ride: M3, Z4
1 rear diff fluid (OEM only)
2 get new RSM
3 Rear Rtabs

This are three items in the back that could cause issues.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Sammysaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLAUDM3 View Post
1 rear diff fluid (OEM only)
2 get new RSM
3 Rear Rtabs

This are three items in the back that could cause issues.

I will definetly check these 3 do you know if this is something a BMW dealer would carry? Or am I better off finding them online?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2006 M3 Convertible
Jet Black on Dove Grey
Scorpion exhaust
Macht Shcnell Intake
Old 06-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
Teslazerok

My Ride: 2003 M3 6SPD
Lift/jack the car up and then drive it in the air at that 15-25mph area with someone under the car to see if they can identify where the noise is coming from.

My guess would be an issue with the diff/axles. Maybe a cv joint.

Blown rear shock mounts would make god awful noise hitting bumps, not at a certain speed.
Rtab's would badly affect your handling but you didn't mention anything about it so I assume it still handles fine.

Last edited by Teslazerok; 06-22-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Teslazerok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #5
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
really hard to say without hearing it but....
kinda sounds like the limited slip differential
Old 06-25-2014, 08:00 AM   #6
Sammysaba

So I checked my Rsm they both needed to be replaced and in addition to that my shocks are completely dead. Being that this is my first BMW I didn't know they get stiff instead of extra uncontrolled bouncy. I just ordered the koni yellows for the whole car and I am hoping that this fixes the problem!

2006 M3 Convertible
Jet Black on Dove Grey
Scorpion exhaust
Macht Shcnell Intake
Old 06-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #7
Sammysaba

I took a video i dont know if you can tell from the video what is going on but i guess its worth the try

2006 M3 Convertible
Jet Black on Dove Grey
Scorpion exhaust
Macht Shcnell Intake
Old 06-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #8
Alex323Ci

you said you checked your rear shocks before and they were fine.
rsm's won't cause a repeated speed sensitive issue. it won't change what they do for your car at higher speeds.
you say now the shocks are bad and stiff? RSMs are easy to see blown, but may i ask how you checked and concluded the rear shocks are now bad?

glad you found the RSMs being broken, you may consider some heavier duty mounts since you have a convertible and the Koni yellows to now mate to.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:52 PM   #9
Sammysaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
you said you checked your rear shocks before and they were fine.

rsm's won't cause a repeated speed sensitive issue. it won't change what they do for your car at higher speeds.

you say now the shocks are bad and stiff? RSMs are easy to see blown, but may i ask how you checked and concluded the rear shocks are now bad?

glad you found the RSMs being broken, you may consider some heavier duty mounts since you have a convertible and the Koni yellows to now mate to.

I was under the impression that my shocks were ok because my father told me they were fine. Yesterday I was going my shock mounts and I took the shocks off the car. They are dead they do not extend properly. When pushed together the do not open back out they stick in.

Do you not think it's my shocks?

2006 M3 Convertible
Jet Black on Dove Grey
Scorpion exhaust
Macht Shcnell Intake
Old 06-25-2014, 06:27 PM   #10
Teslazerok

My Ride: 2003 M3 6SPD
Well if you can fully compress them by hand and they don't rebound then they are 100% toast.

I still wouldn't think they were causing the original issue you described though.

When my RSM's went out I was worried a had a torn subframe from the the loud banging and clunking sounds I got whenever I hit a bump. Speed shouldn't affect it in any way and there shouldn't be a rubbing sound.
Teslazerok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #11
Sammysaba

As of now I'm going to change my shocks and hope for the best if that doesn't help I will change my rtab and if not that I am going to have my diff checked out

2006 M3 Convertible
Jet Black on Dove Grey
Scorpion exhaust
Macht Shcnell Intake
Old 06-25-2014, 07:58 PM   #12
Competition05

My Ride: 2005 m3 ZCP
"Help! Weird feeling from the rear."
Are you being raped?

Competition05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #13
Competition05

My Ride: 2005 m3 ZCP
Ps. Check your trailing arm bushings and sub frame bushing

Competition05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:59 PM   #14
SKR7

My Ride: E46 MY04.5 SMG M3
I was going to suggest sub-frame bushings also....
Old 06-26-2014, 09:09 AM   #15
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammysaba View Post
As of now I'm going to change my shocks and hope for the best if that doesn't help I will change my rtab and if not that I am going to have my diff checked out
It sounds like you're on the original suspension. If that's so then your RTABs are shot. Go ahead and replace them. The part was updated and they have a real impact on how your car feels.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:22 AM   #16
Sammysaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
It sounds like you're on the original suspension. If that's so then your RTABs are shot. Go ahead and replace them. The part was updated and they have a real impact on how your car feels.
Did you check out the video I posted?? Is that sound I'd get from bad rtab?

2006 M3 Convertible
Jet Black on Dove Grey
Scorpion exhaust
Macht Shcnell Intake
Old 06-26-2014, 11:18 AM   #17
choxor

Sorry man, I'm not good at diagnosing sounds from videos. I only mention it because the RTAB is a very, very common wear item so you might as well go ahead and add it to the list of things to change out if they haven't been changed before. I don't think they'd make a sound unless they were completely hosed and moving around in the carrier. Mine didn't. Mine even looked fine, but changing them made a world of difference.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #18
Sammysaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Sorry man, I'm not good at diagnosing sounds from videos. I only mention it because the RTAB is a very, very common wear item so you might as well go ahead and add it to the list of things to change out if they haven't been changed before. I don't think they'd make a sound unless they were completely hosed and moving around in the carrier. Mine didn't. Mine even looked fine, but changing them made a world of difference.
It's all good I appreciate your help anyway. Did you do the rtab work yourself? That's the next step I'm taking if it isn't the shocks

2006 M3 Convertible
Jet Black on Dove Grey
Scorpion exhaust
Macht Shcnell Intake
Old 06-26-2014, 12:58 PM   #19
choxor

Yup. Not hard. Just be sure to get the rtab tool. It's possible without it, but it's not worth it. An alignment is mandatory after doing the RTAB's, though, so take that into consideration.

Last edited by choxor; 06-26-2014 at 01:00 PM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #20
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammysaba View Post
I was under the impression that my shocks were ok because my father told me they were fine. Yesterday I was going my shock mounts and I took the shocks off the car. They are dead they do not extend properly. When pushed together the do not open back out they stick in.

Do you not think it's my shocks?
well i can't tell from your video but if it's making the noise as it "squats" from the torque and acceleration then it could be the RSMs. if they allow it to squat so much and hit tires or other compaonents it could certainly be the case. more likely RSMs banging in the convertible storage tray area. so in reality it's not a "speed" thing but a shifting of weight thing from power from shifting up. and then lack of shifting of weight at highway speeds. but if you hit bumps at highway speeds it should be making noises and feel loose then too.

again if the RSMs and shocks are shot replace those as it could certainly be the fix needed. if not, you needed to replace anyway and one more thing taken out of the possible issues.