E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #1
Boolala

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Anyboy else here think dentist are just educated crooks?

Yes I do understand business costs such as overhead, insurance, building costs etc etc etc however, should dentist really charge near $5600 for a procedure that uses about $200 in parts and takes an hour and a half? It is funny how we try to regulate the health profession but nothing is ever said about the dental profession. My father was a doctor and always stated he should of became a dentist instead for their is nobody watching over them, they charge what they want and take any day off they want. I have to have a 20 year old bridge replaced due to a crack. It's an hour procedure with one implant and the bill is (drum roll).......$3900 out of pocket--yup, that's after my two dental insurance companies pick up $1700 of that. Of course I understand that 8+ years of college should get you an awesome yearly salary but really...$5600 dollars for a bridge with one implant and the entire thing takes an hour and a half. I think not! Dentists aren't real doctors..one can live without their teeth...real doctors save lives on the table! Those are the real professionals.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
Brucifer325

My Ride: 2000 328Ci

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese

BMWCCA# 147961
Brucifer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
ImPulSe

My Ride: Bentley GT
I know a lot of dentists that also double dip... Patient pays in cash but they also charge the insurance company.

stupid money.
ImPulSe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Healthcare costs are just as inflated and outrageous. And accounting practices seem just as shady.

Last edited by badfast; 06-25-2014 at 11:14 AM.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boolala View Post
Yes I do understand business costs such as overhead, insurance, building costs etc etc etc however, should dentist really charge near $5600 for a procedure that uses about $200 in parts and takes an hour and a half? It is funny how we try to regulate the health profession but nothing is ever said about the dental profession. My father was a doctor and always stated he should of became a dentist instead for their is nobody watching over them, they charge what they want and take any day off they want. I have to have a 20 year old bridge replaced due to a crack. It's an hour procedure with one implant and the bill is (drum roll).......$3900 out of pocket--yup, that's after my two dental insurance companies pick up $1700 of that. Of course I understand that 8+ years of college should get you an awesome yearly salary but really...$5600 dollars for a bridge with one implant and the entire thing takes an hour and a half. I think not! Dentists aren't real doctors..one can live without their teeth...real doctors save lives on the table! Those are the real professionals.
This sounds a hell of a lot like anger over a single problem with one dentist and nothing like a scientific or objective statement of the facts.

Sorry that you caught a tough break but that's life. I'm not going to have an auto mechanic fill a cavity for me let alone install a bridge or do a root canal.

It sounds like you need to get a different insurance plan.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
Serega91

My Ride: 00' 323i Manual
To answer OP's question, yes...

I think they use that pointy metal pick tool to purposefully poke holes/cavities in the patients' teeth upon examination....so that later they can fix those cavities, and charge you for it.

Last edited by Serega91; 06-25-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Serega91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
Lair

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serega91 View Post
To answer OP's question, yes...

I think they use that pointy metal pick tool to purposefully poke holes/cavities in the patients' teeth upon examination....so that later they can fix those cavities, and charge you for it.
Dentist = a con man with a medical degree.

Of course, not all of them are thieves, but I wouldn't trust any of them as far as I can throw them.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #8
Boolala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
This sounds a hell of a lot like anger over a single problem with one dentist and nothing like a scientific or objective statement of the facts.

Sorry that you caught a tough break but that's life. I'm not going to have an auto mechanic fill a cavity for me let alone install a bridge or do a root canal.

It sounds like you need to get a different insurance plan.
No, I have two great dental plans however, there is no dental plan that covers more than a max of $1500 a year. Yup I got a bad break which doesn't bother me at all. It was my mistake in the first place to open beer bottles with my back teeth when in the military--we were all doing it..cracked 3 teeth and then needed a bridge after getting out of the military in 1983. The bridge has lasted 25 years so not bad.

Oh and I would have a GOOD auto mechanic fill a cavity if he had a small enough drill and lots of booze on hand so I wouldn't feel a thing! If I was passed out for awhile, he could even look at the vibration in my Bimmer to boot!
Old 06-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #9
Krizzy TanG

My Ride: E90 and F30 diesel
In before "over here it's free"
Old 06-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #10
Krizzy TanG

My Ride: E90 and F30 diesel
Over here it's free
Old 06-25-2014, 12:45 PM   #11
unevolved

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krizzy TanG View Post
In before "over here it's free"

Nicely played.

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
unevolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:50 PM   #12
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!

Last edited by GRIFFIN; 06-25-2014 at 12:51 PM.
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #13
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Learn to DIY.

Last edited by choxor; 06-25-2014 at 12:53 PM.
choxor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #14
BoogetyBoogety

My Ride: 2010 SL550

BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:37 PM   #15
Boolala

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN View Post

F**K, now my tooth hurts from laughin!
Old 06-25-2014, 03:21 PM   #16
ThaHooch

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krizzy TanG View Post
Over here it's free
By free, do you mean paid for with increased taxes, or are all of your dentists volunteers?

** Political sig removed **
ThaHooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:33 PM   #17
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
The only scam is their policy of recommending annual or twice annual exams. That's a ripoff. I can see my own teeth are doing just fine, thank you.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:40 PM   #18
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Dentists are not as smart as you think. I've had several instances where I've been trying to explain why things happen the way they do with regards to chemistry and it completely went over the head of my dentist. He started mumbling a bunch of bs that didn't make sense and I just sat and thought to myself "you mean to tell me this fvcker went to UVA and doesn't understand how COF works?".
Old 06-25-2014, 04:01 PM   #19
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Dentists are not as smart as you think. I've had several instances where I've been trying to explain why things happen the way they do with regards to chemistry and it completely went over the head of my dentist. He started mumbling a bunch of bs that didn't make sense and I just sat and thought to myself "you mean to tell me this fvcker went to UVA and doesn't understand how COF works?".
Dentists aren't chemists. They do your standard biology and organic chemistry in college and probably never touch it again.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #20
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Dentists aren't chemists. They do your standard biology and organic chemistry in college and probably never touch it again.
I realize this. A smart person would have said "I don't know" or "I don't know, but I can find out and get back to you". Etc.