E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 03:43 PM   #21
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Probably not used to patients randomly explaining chemical reactions to him.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #22
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Dentists are not as smart as you think. I've had several instances where I've been trying to explain why things happen the way they do with regards to chemistry and it completely went over the head of my dentist. He started mumbling a bunch of bs that didn't make sense and I just sat and thought to myself "you mean to tell me this fvcker went to UVA and doesn't understand how COF works?".
Still blows my mind that they still shine UVA lights into our mouths and no one is up in arms about it compared to everything else people b1tch about. Probably because they don't know what the tool is, the first mom to think that their little Johnny is going to get a sunburn or cancer in his mouth is going to raise hell about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Probably just doesn't care.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #23
Serega91

My Ride: 00' 323i Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boolala View Post
should dentist really charge near $5600 for a procedure that uses about $200 in parts and takes an hour and a half?
BTW, sounds like the local BMW dealer to me...
take that hammer, screwdriver, drill with bits, and subframe structural epoxy... time to DIY your teeth. If its good enough for the car....

Last edited by Serega91; 06-25-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Serega91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:50 PM   #24
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #25
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Dentists are not as smart as you think. I've had several instances where I've been trying to explain why things happen the way they do with regards to chemistry and it completely went over the head of my dentist. He started mumbling a bunch of bs that didn't make sense and I just sat and thought to myself "you mean to tell me this fvcker went to UVA and doesn't understand how COF works?".

Same with most people in the health professions.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-25-2014, 05:56 PM   #26
wasp9166
Banned User

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
i don't go to the dentist, as soon as they get in there you will start hurting

straight fin shakedown

stay away from sugar , brush and listerine everyday

Last edited by wasp9166; 06-25-2014 at 05:56 PM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #27
wasp9166
Banned User

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
what do you call a dr that flunked out of med school?

wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:16 PM   #28
e46cslsedan

My Ride: 2000 e46 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boolala View Post
Yes I do understand business costs such as overhead, insurance, building costs etc etc etc however, should dentist really charge near $5600 for a procedure that uses about $200 in parts and takes an hour and a half? It is funny how we try to regulate the health profession but nothing is ever said about the dental profession. My father was a doctor and always stated he should of became a dentist instead for their is nobody watching over them, they charge what they want and take any day off they want. I have to have a 20 year old bridge replaced due to a crack. It's an hour procedure with one implant and the bill is (drum roll).......$3900 out of pocket--yup, that's after my two dental insurance companies pick up $1700 of that. Of course I understand that 8+ years of college should get you an awesome yearly salary but really...$5600 dollars for a bridge with one implant and the entire thing takes an hour and a half. I think not! Dentists aren't real doctors..one can live without their teeth...real doctors save lives on the table! Those are the real professionals.
I agree i my self work in the dental field i m a dental assistant and honestly they charge alot to pay verry little and they still spect you to have all of these credentials and dont pay much. i never go to the dentist if i ever need to get work done i get it for free where i work @ but i would never go to just any dental office if i wasnt recommended by anyone. just a heads up for those who go to the dentist make sure what ever treatment you get done make sure everything was well explain and understood. for anyone that has any questions regarding any treatment done like if you need a root canal or what options you have and you want a second opinion im here to answer any questions , i might not be a doctor but i been in the field for 15 years and i understand and know dentistry verry well in every aspect.

e46cslsedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:22 PM   #29
e46cslsedan

My Ride: 2000 e46 328i
Quote:
The only scam is their policy of recommending annual or twice annual exams. That's a ripoff. I can see my own teeth are doing just fine, thank you.
be aware when they try to offer you something you dont need , sometimes it can be fixed by just doing a simple filling but, they will tell you that the tooth needs a root canal because you have infection and thats it but what they wont tell you is that you will need a crown to cover tht tooth and most doctors leave it like that so that the tooth would crack and then you will need it to be xtracted and tell you that the only thing rhat can be done is getting an implant so everything stared from just a simple fill to something more expensive .

e46cslsedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #30
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Quote:
Quote:

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #31
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
Didn't you get the memo? Teeth and eyeballs aren't "health" and therefore, logically, are not covered by health insurance.

Sent from my freaking awesome HTC One
ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #32
KingBeef

My Ride: 2001 330ci
I dont think you really understand the business costs associated with being a dentist. It aint just about the education (I say that as someone paying tuition for a dental student), the start up cost are exorbitant. I have built a couple of offices for dentist. The equipment (the chairs and such) costs exceeded the cost of the overall construction project. Not to say there aren't crooks out there but there is a significant amount of money put into a practice that I think most patients are unaware of

sent from somewhere

Last edited by KingBeef; 06-25-2014 at 08:20 PM.
KingBeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:46 PM   #33
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post

Probably just doesn't care.

I wasn't even talking about chemical reactions to the guy. He tried explaining why my cavity filling popped off my tooth twice and what he was going to do to fix it for a third time. When I offered my explanation of how he could increase the strength of the bond of the adhesive to the tooth, he came up with his own explanation that didn't seem sound (as in, it would induce failure yet again).
Old 06-26-2014, 06:37 AM   #34
WDE46

Quote:

I wasn't even talking about chemical reactions to the guy. He tried explaining why my cavity filling popped off my tooth twice and what he was going to do to fix it for a third time. When I offered my explanation of how he could increase the strength of the bond of the adhesive to the tooth, he came up with his own explanation that didn't seem sound (as in, it would induce failure yet again).

Yeah I'm sure you know more about that than he does...

Sent from AutomaticDoublePostBimmerApp Potato

Old 06-26-2014, 07:53 AM   #35
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Yeah I'm sure you know more about that than he does...

Sent from AutomaticDoublePostBimmerApp Potato
I would assume that, but if you read my statement again, you'll see that the same filling lost adhesion twice, causing me to take valuable time out of my work schedule to go in and get it corrected. I never stated I knew how to do his job. I merely offered my view of what happened and what could probably be done differently. Slow down and read all of the information presented before making a conclusive opinion.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:26 AM   #36
WDE46

Quote:
I would assume that, but if you read my statement again, you'll see that the same filling lost adhesion twice, causing me to take valuable time out of my work schedule to go in and get it corrected. I never stated I knew how to do his job. I merely offered my view of what happened and what could probably be done differently. Slow down and read all of the information presented before making a conclusive opinion.
You made the false assumption that I didn't read. I think he has about one infinity times as much experience doing this sort of work than you. He probably already knew exactly what he needed to do differently and didn't want to hear this bullshit from some know-it-all patient.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:43 AM   #37
bimmerfan08

Quote:
You made the false assumption that I didn't read. I think he has about one infinity times as much experience doing this sort of work than you. He probably already knew exactly what he needed to do differently and didn't want to hear this bullshit from some know-it-all patient.

Oh you mad!

If he knew what to do differently, why didn't he do it right the first time? We always infer that anyone that is more knowledgeable than us is always correct, when in fact intelligent people makes mistakes too. By engaging in a conversation with him, he not only sees my point of view, but also sees his and can confirm whether or not he's doing the right thing.

My original beef with the guy was when I got on the subject of COF, he tried to BS that he knew all about it, when clearly he did not understand the subject. My issue was with him BSing a topic we were discussing.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:45 AM   #38
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Only on E46FOT can people get into an argument about the knowledge of dentists.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:47 AM   #39
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Only on E46FOT can people get into an argument about the knowledge of dentists.

There's actually a valuable message in my posts which is what I'm trying to convey. If you don't know something, be humble enough to admit it and seek out learning it. Regardless if you're a dentist, engineer, president, etc.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:34 AM   #40
MrWesson

My Ride: 01 330CI/09 328i
600k in startup costs
200k in equipment
Payroll
Malpractice insurance
high dollar supplies every month.

Dentists roll with 70% overhead.

I didn't factor in the average dentist in 2014 takes on 400k in student loans.

Don't forget the continued education costs associated with giving these procedures(15,000 for IV sedation, seminars, you name it). Take medicaid? ~$20 payout to dentist per filling. PPO(insurance) takes about 30% of all procedures.

What you leave out is that the treatment plan is optional and you or your family didn't need a bridge,crown, or implant. Partial and full dentures are cheap.

Hatred of the dentist will cause problems, feeling ripped off will push you towards a bad decision(and pain), you beg me to pull the tooth(I do for a whopping $100) you hate the look of it but we needed the base of that tooth to make a bridge and now you want to sue because I have to place an implant for $2500.

My best friend is an ER doc and yes he saves lives. He bills $12,000 per hour for his services or face time. That doesn't include a procedure, medicine, or anything. On the flip side He's trained for everything from neurology to amputations and when you need him no amount of money is too much.
MrWesson is online now   Reply With Quote