E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
jakethesteak

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3
Sudden rough idle loss of power...because of shifting?

Hello all. I was literally a stoplight away from work when this happened.
I was behind a Kia Soul and I was just looking at the rear end of it when the light went green. Realizing I was in neutral I quickly shifted into 1st but it felt weird (kind of like the reverse gear) so I pulled out and put it in 1st just to be sure. Then suddenly SES light comes on and the car is vibrating. Power was virtually gone ( I know these cars don't have much low RPM torque but this was bad..) I was accelerating but it felt like it was struggling. The clutch pedal had subtle but somewhat very noticeable vibration. I nursed it to the parking lot of my work (~1/4 mile from the stoplight where this happened) and parked it. Shut it off and turned it back on. No SES light but still a rough idle. The exhaust was making a pulsing sound and it was deep sounding coming from the rear (put my head near it). Looked under the hood while it was running and everything seemed normal. Sounded like it always did. The motor was moving but that's normal with idle. No NOTICEABLE leaks. I revved it to ~3k and it sounded like it had a hard time getting there. The car has never had any mechanical problems since I've had it except for a water pump that I replaced 2 months ago. My gas light is on but I was plannig to fill up after work and its never done this before when the gas light comes on (usually fill up at 1/4 tank anyway). Car is bone stock. What's going on? Injectors? Spark plugs? Filter/s?

Thanks
jakethesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
isaim3

Sudden rough idle loss of power...because of shifting?

Try running the codes. Possible misfire??

Last edited by isaim3; 06-25-2014 at 03:01 PM.
isaim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
It seems like your engine went into "limp home" mode. This can be caused by a number of things, but the most likely is a failed ignition coil for one or more of the cylinders. These do wear out, and what you describe sounds like what I am suggesting. If any one of them is bad, replace all 6.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:23 PM   #4
jakethesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaim3 View Post
Try running the codes. Possible misfire??
Where do I go to do that? Will AutoZone do it? I know the stealership will.
Also, I've been researching and people having something like my problem are saying to replace the coils and plugs as well as checking MAF and fuel filter. These are all things that seem like they'd be causing this issue. Just seems weird that it happened out of the blue when everything was fine.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
jakethesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSilk56 View Post
It seems like your engine went into "limp home" mode. This can be caused by a number of things, but the most likely is a failed ignition coil for one or more of the cylinders. These do wear out, and what you describe sounds like what I am suggesting. If any one of them is bad, replace all 6.
Ah, right after I posted my reply to someone else I see your post. I figured it was that. I might as well do a spark plug replacement too since they're right there. Good thing I only work a couple miles from home.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:22 PM   #6
Teslazerok

My Ride: 2003 M3 6SPD
All of these suggestions are just guesses.. you need to have the codes read by a bmw specific scan tool. Otherwise you are just taking shots in the dark. You can probably find a local forum member (on this or other forums) willing to read your codes for free.
Teslazerok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:39 PM   #7
jakethesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teslazerok View Post
All of these suggestions are just guesses.. you need to have the codes read by a bmw specific scan tool. Otherwise you are just taking shots in the dark. You can probably find a local forum member (on this or other forums) willing to read your codes for free.
Indeed. I had AutoZone check my codes. Their reader brought back the following errors: p0304 and p0300.
The guy said that means #4 is misfiring and there is another random misfire.

Any other insight on these codes/problems?

I'm planning on replacing all 6 plugs and coils + cabin air filter and engine filter anyway since it seems like a fairly easy DIY.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:45 PM   #8
Competition05

My Ride: 2005 m3 ZCP
Could maybe be a fuel pump

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Competition05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:57 PM   #9
Teslazerok

P0300 is multiple cylinder misfire
P0304 is cylinder 4 misfire

Since it's a generic reader it doesn't specify whether the cylinder cut out or not.

I would say #4 injector, coil pack or spark plug since only one definite cylinder was in the codes.

You can swap these parts (one at a time) to another cylinder to see if the misfire follows to identify your problem part, if you're replacing all of them then no need to test.

Last edited by Teslazerok; 06-26-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #10
jakethesteak

Quote:
P0300 is multiple cylinder misfire
P0304 is cylinder 4 misfire

Since it's a generic reader it doesn't specify whether the cylinder cut out or not.

I would say #4 injector, coil pack or spark plug since only one definite cylinder was in the codes.

You can swap these parts (one at a time) to another cylinder to see if the misfire follows to identify your problem part, if you're replacing all of them then no need to test.
Indeed. I went ahead and bought the coils, plugs and filters just because. I'll report back when the job is done. How are the injectors on our Bimmers? Are they notorious for failure/deterioration or are they pretty durable?

Thanks for the insight.

Last edited by jakethesteak; 06-27-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:59 PM   #11
Teslazerok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesteak View Post
How are the injectors on our Bimmers? Are they notorious for failure/deterioration or are they pretty durable?
Very durable, the issue would be a clog, not that it failed.

There's also a guy on M3F that rebuilds(cleans and replaces filters, etc) them for dirt cheap.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:51 PM   #12
jakethesteak

Quote:
Very durable, the issue would be a clog, not that it failed.

There's also a guy on M3F that rebuilds(cleans and replaces filters, etc) them for dirt cheap.
Oh that's good to know. I'll have to look into that for sure! I wanted to use some injector cleaner anyway. Used to use it on my '94 Silverado and it would help. But I just basic STP stuff. Would you recommend using injector cleaner?

Thanks
Old 06-29-2014, 11:34 PM   #13
Teslazerok

Most people use Techron.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:15 AM   #14
jakethesteak

Quote:
Most people use Techron.
Great. Never used that stuff but I believe I've seen people posting on the forums about using Techron. I will check it out!
Thanks!
Old 07-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #15
jakethesteak

UPDATE:

Replaced plugs, coils, engine and cabin air filters yesterday.
What a difference! The throttle response is way better than before the problem happened too. Amazing. Car is running and sounding great! Thanks to everyone who helped me out!

Tags
loss of power, rough idle, ses light